• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
Yep, I have a LOT of friends and family who have 1080p and 720p LCDs and Plasmas over a decade old that are working perfectly and they have ZERO plans to replace them. The things were built to last. Much more robust than the old CRT TVs.

These people would be perfectly happy with a slightly upgraded X1X that could play next gen games on their old TV for a low price. The rest of us nuts who have no problem paying a lot more money for a small difference can have our $599 console to match our $3000 TV and game with smug superiority while living in mom's basement. Where's my Hot Pocket and Cheetos?

Don't hate on Cheetos! Even outside of a basement we can all enjoy Cheetos.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
They will have only two SKU at launch: Xbox S and Xbox X. All Xbox One will quickly stop to sell.

The Xbox S will be for people who don't care about 4K, who are price sensitive. It will be a 1080p console because this is what want these consumers.

I'm not sure exactly when systems stopped selling the older iterations because new ones came out. Is this the idea, replace the entire old console line with the lower end model? Is that what you all are guessing?

That's kinda my point. You will have two devices on shelves that are the exact same thing because MS will have shipped units all year in volume to retailers. Unless you all think they're just stopping shipping Xbox One next year/2020 at a certain point, I'm not sure how those things will "quickly" do anything but confuse people.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems that the consensus is that Sony will launch first - however all the leaks (and these are via known Microsoft-friendly leakers so are probably authorised or controlled leaks) are coming from Microsoft.

I'm just thinking that Sony possibly did plan on 2019 but have now moved to 2020 and Microsoft may in fact launch first - there's certainly more coming out of the Microsoft camp.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm not sure exactly when systems stopped selling the older iterations because new ones came out. Is this the idea, replace the entire old console line with the lower end model? Is that what you all are guessing?

That's kinda my point. You will have two devices on shelves that are the exact same thing because MS will have shipped units all year in volume to retailers. Unless you all think they're just stopping shipping Xbox One next year/2020 at a certain point, I'm not sure how those things will "quickly" do anything but confuse people.

Although I don't think consumers are stupid it does get a bit convulted. They would see Xbox stream infinity, Xbox 1x, Xbox 1s, Xbox infinity s, Xbox infinity x (using infinity for sake of arguement). As opposed to ps4, ps4 pro, ps5. Theres a beauty in simplicity

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
If MS want to try selling their console this way, that is their choice. But don't expect brick and mortar stores to be happy about stocking the consoles themselves. Too many SKUs means extra shelf space that stores can't spare. And MS is going to have real difficulty dealing with the manufacturing.

I expect such a Scarlet release would lead to one or two real winners, while every other SKU dying off in 6 months at the latest. MS would soon realise which console the customers choose, and decide that the failing SKUs are not worth the production costs to keep making and stocking.

Funny you say this, after seeing all these multiple sku rumors the most prominent thing on my mind was "man, MS is really throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks"... hopefully it's not just that and they actually think this kind of strategy would actually be beneficial for them. We'll see how it goes.

I don't expect Sony to go this route but they've done strange things before so we'll see lol

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would be hilarious is if they marketed it as a 4K HDR console because it upscaled to a 4K signal like the S does. Though I'm guessing that would be illegal.

Xbox One S has "4K/HDR" right on the box.
It seems that the consensus is that Sony will launch first - however all the leaks (and these are via known Microsoft-friendly leakers so are probably authorised or controlled leaks) are coming from Microsoft.

I'm just thinking that Sony possibly did plan on 2019 but have now moved to 2020 and Microsoft may in fact launch first - there's certainly more coming out of the Microsoft camp.

Naw, consensus seems to be that Microsoft and Sony will launch around the same time in Holiday 2020. There are just a few on the fringes (like myself) who think there's a chance Sony could also "Spring" for an early 2020 launch.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Although I don't think consumers are stupid it does get a bit convulted. They would see Xbox stream infinity, Xbox 1x, Xbox 1s, Xbox infinity s, Xbox infinity x (using infinity for sake of arguement). As opposed to ps4, ps4 pro, ps5. Theres a beauty in simplicity
But Sony might do 2 skus and streaming device as well.we just don't know yet

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tbh I would love that just for .... some reasons ...
Well amd will try to sell them both as many apus as possible .so I think Sony might bite as well.especially since the delayed the launch from 2019 to 2020.we don't know the reason but this might be a reason . I m all for strong 500$ ps5 as I m an enthusiast .same with many enthusiast x2 gamers .after all we all want our favorite games in best light possible

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
If the rumors are real, Sony will do a proper console and a portable streaming device.

Financial Times: "Sony might be planning a tablet that would connect to multiple devices as online streaming of games becomes more widespread and the company seeks to derive ever greater synergies between its games and movie divisions."

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Well amd will try to sell them both as many apus as possible .so I think Sony might bite as well.especially since the delayed the launch from 2019 to 2020.we don't know the reason but this might be a reason . I m all for strong 500$ ps5 as I m an enthusiast .same with many enthusiast x2 gamers .after all we all want our favorite games in best light possible
The reason of the delay is actually not hw releated but sw (backend IT infrastructure & services & API support) (imo)

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Sony isn't thinking of trying to compete with Switch in Japan with a streaming tablet lol.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
But Sony might do 2 skus and streaming device as well.we just don't know yet

You know what, if they do go for multiple devices, I think they'll do two devices, a PS5 proper beast and a 'PS5 Now' discless streaming device/Apple TV like device.

Zen 2 cpu, PS4 or PS4 Pro level gpu, 7nm, 8gb gddr6, replaceable HDD, all in a small package. Sell for $99-150 (Apple TV price). Comes with full Android TV capabilities, preinstalled with TV apps like PS Vue. Just like the Apple TV you can download games from the App Store but better since it'll be full console games (PS Store), or have a PS Now subscription to stream games. Even more, if Zen 2 really does have AVX512 instructions and Sony is able to emulate PS3 games, you'll be able to stream or download any PS Now game on these two devices.

Edit- anexanhume posted that new heat sink patent and said that it could be for a possible PS4 revision, but it could also work for a streaming device. Putting all the chips in a tight package.

They kind of tried this with the Vita TV already but I think this could be a lot more successful if marketed correctly.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
From what i saw this is new: Sony Interactive Entertainment looking for a Software Engineer,Cloud Back-End (CDN)

"As a part of Sony Interactive Entertainment, the Cloud Gaming Engineering and Infrastructure (CGEI) team is leading the cloud gaming revolution, putting console-quality video games on any device.

As a Staff Software Engineer on the CDN Cloud Engineering team, you'll play a key role in the design and development of distributed systems which will help build a worldwide Content Delivery Network. This is a technical leadership role where you will be leading exciting initiatives and working with talented engineers to deliver cutting edge solutions for our end users."

https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/1475900

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
You know what, if they do go for multiple devices, I think they'll do two devices, a PS5 proper beast and a 'PS5 Now' discless streaming device/Apple TV like device.

Zen 2 cpu, PS4 or PS4 Pro level gpu, 7nm, 8gb gddr6, replaceable HDD, all in a small package. Sell for $99-150 (Apple TV price). Comes with full Android TV capabilities, preinstalled with TV apps like PS Vue. Just like the Apple TV you can download games from the App Store but better since it'll be full console games (PS Store), or have a PS Now subscription to stream games. Even more, if Zen 2 really does have AVX512 instructions and Sony is able to emulate PS3 games, you'll be able to stream or download any PS Now game on these two devices.

Edit- anexanhume posted that new heat sink patent and said that it could be for a possible PS4 revision, but it could also work for a streaming device. Putting all the chips in a tight package.

They kind of tried this with the Vita TV already but I think this could be a lot more successful if marketed correctly.

That heatsink is probably for a lower power system (think sub 50W), one that is space-constrained, and one that is not cost-sensitive. Thus, I think the mostly likely candidate is PSVR2. In fact, the patent explicitly calls out placement of the SoC (or SiP as it was for the vita and in the patent language), near antennas, sensors, etc. It also calls out mitigating EMI concerns.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I really can't help but wonder if these "insiders" have some wires crossed and the differences in SKU's will be minor. I could kind of see Microsoft doing an "Arcade" Xbox2 that just has a standard HDD, while a "Pro" SKU maybe has an SSD and some other flourishes ALA the "Project Scorpio" edition Xbox One X.

Yes, I was also thinking along these lines...

I expect a pricing hierarchy of this kind (Assumptions: 2 Xbox SKUs, 1 PS5 SKU): X2S < PS5 < X2X

As we do not know anything other than some code names all variations of differentiation are possible. The one you noted could be actually a very feasible one I didn't thought about.

Actually a previous post from you made me think about it. It doesn't fit the leak regarding the power of the "base" console but it would make much more sense.

Base Xbox $399, High end $499/$549 with an SSD, vapor cooling, maybe a bit more ram, but same CPU/GPU

Last edited:

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20181217VL201.html

NAND flash contract prices to fall 10% in 1Q19, says DRAMeXchange

This is good.
That heatsink is probably for a lower power system (think sub 50W), one that is space-constrained, and one that is not cost-sensitive. Thus, I think the mostly likely candidate is PSVR2. In fact, the patent explicitly calls out placement of the SoC (or SiP as it was for the vita and in the patent language), near antennas, sensors, etc. It also calls out mitigating EMI concerns.

Could it be for the streaming tablet thing?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
a lot of people in japan only have 1 tv, so a divice like the switch that can be played off tv is more important their, than raw power.

That's cool but Japan doesn't encompass the majority of Playstation's market.

Plus, i'm not Japanese so couldn't care less about that region's preferences. They also seem yo be buying up PS4s just fine (more than most european cointries).

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

Ahh I see, a low power, stream only device would work then, that'll be even more Apple TV like, concerning size and function.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
So theoretically, Xbox would have on the market: Xbox One S, Xbox One Discless model, Xbox Streaming model (this could be same as discless model), Xbox Two S and Xbox Two Pro. Assuming they stop making Xbox One X since Xbox Two S replaces it

Wow. That's, uhh, a lot of hardware. Reminds me of how in 2011-2013 Nintendo sold DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS (and 3DS XL!)
X1S, X2, X2X and a discless model.

I don't think that's a lot.

If Sony only has one model for the PS5 then my prediction would be they still keep PS4 and PS4 Pro for some time, so MS would only have one more model, the discless model. And as that's a vastly different solution I don't think that's going to confuse people.

I suspect it'll be limited in store space as well.

It could also be they have different offerings in different countries. I make the prediction the X1X goes because based on the murmurings it sounds too close to the X2 to have a rightful place in the line-up and they probably can't, yet, get it cheap enough to bin the X1S and have the X1X as the entry level legacy console.

But maybe they could have the discless model take that role in countries with the internet connection and appetite for it and hold on to the X1S with no discless model for the other countries.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So this is the new narrative people are going with? That Sony delayed the PS5 from 2019 to 2020?

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just some trusted insiders and mods here on ERA...
So this huge story about Sony having planned to launch the PS5 in 2019, and then delaying til 2020, has somehow evaded sites like Kotaku and other credible sources of news, but a couple people here say it happened.

I guess as with everything in life, people are ultimately going to believe what they want to believe.

Oct 27, 2017
so the rumors were true when was mentioned mid-gen consoles to become the main platform for next-gen.
1. While insiders have and can point in X Y or Z direction, it's not true until it's confirmed by the console maker themselves

2. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro as the base for next gen whole be crazy disappointing imo. I sincerely hope that isn't true and that next gen's base is 8 cores @3Ghz+, 20GB+, 10TF+

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
1. While insiders have and can point in X Y or Z direction, it's not true until it's confirmed by the console maker themselves

2. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro as the base for next gen whole be crazy disappointing imo. I sincerely hope that isn't true and that next gen's base is 8 cores @3Ghz+, 20GB+, 10TF+
the cpu upgrade alone is massive when they switch to zen2, so saying the x is the base isnt correct.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So this huge story about Sony having planned to launch the PS5 in 2019, and then delaying til 2020, has somehow evaded sites like Kotaku and other credible sources of news, but a couple people here say it happened.

I guess as with everything in life, people are ultimately going to believe what they want to believe.

I've never liked the term "delay" here, because most seem to imply extra meaning when using that term. It makes it sound like Sony had pieces in motion and then decided to put on the brakes. Insiders on here seem to have implied the opposite. That Sony had multiple dates in mind (2019 being one of them) and instead opted for 2020 for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I'm not quite sure that the latter is worth a site like Kotaku reporting on. They accomplish the same thing by just talking about how PS5 seems set for 2020.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never liked the term "delay" here, because most seem to imply extra meaning when using that term. It makes it sound like Sony had pieces in motion and then decided to put on the brakes. Insiders on here seem to have implied the opposite. That Sony had multiple dates in mind (2019 being one of them) and instead opted for 2020 for a variety of reasons.

Personally, I'm not quite sure that the latter is worth a site like Kotaku reporting on. They accomplish the same thing by just talking about how PS5 seems set for 2020.
It's been obvious for a long time now that 2020 made the most sense for new consoles.

Last gen was 8 years for the 360, and 7 years for the PS3. Neither company was ever going to push that back to 6 years at a time when development budgets continue to grow bigger and time tables for major games get longer.

Oct 27, 2017
the cpu upgrade alone is massive when they switch to zen2, so saying the x is the base isnt correct.
I was responding directly to his comment about mid gen consoles becoming the main platform. I didn't say anything about them if they do have better specs.

But even if the CPU is better (and we can't say until it's confirmed how much better) it's still disappointing to me that the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro could be used as the base for next gen even if they ended up being PS4 Pro+ and Xbox One X+. That's just imo.

I'd rather have the base be 8 cores @3Ghz+, 24GB, 11-13TFs, not 8 cores @3Ghz, 16GB and 8TFs. Much less the actual Xbox One X specs even with a CPU clocked higher

For those who know, if you're aiming for a $300 and $500 model setup, what do you have to sacrifice to cut costs by $200?

Everyone talks about the GPU flops, which makes sense, but wouldn't base RAM be impacted and CPU too? If so, how so (core count, etc) if not, why not?

My guess is the $300 would not only have a less powerful GPU but less RAM and a slower CPU but idk.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How does the opening of a position for one engineer lead to all this speculation about portable devices/streaming? Wouldn't they need a multitude of developers in that field and a lot more time to make this shift a reality.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I was responding directly to his comment about mid gen consoles becoming the main platform. I didn't say anything about them if they do have better specs.

But even if the CPU is better (and we can't say until it's confirmed how much better) it's still disappointing to me that the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro could be used as the base for next gen even if they ended up being PS4 Pro+ and Xbox One X+. That's just imo.

I'd rather have the base be 8 cores @3Ghz+, 24GB, 11-13TFs, not 8 cores @3Ghz, 16GB and 8TFs. Much less the actual Xbox One X specs even with a CPU clocked higher

For those who know, if you're aiming for a $300 and $500 model setup, what do you have to sacrifice to cut costs by $200?

Everyone talks about the GPU flops, which makes sense, but wouldn't base RAM be impacted and CPU too? If so, how so (core count, etc) if not, why not?

My guess is the $300 would not only have a less powerful GPU but less RAM and a slower CPU but idk.
the gpu part of the apu is by far and away the most expensive part. they will already be using the worst binned cpus for the consoles anyways.