• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that around GDC (March 18 - 22) we'll have some detailed architectural and performance leaks on the new consoles.

That's where I expect us to get some decent information directly or indirectly...

The initial hints at for Pro came from journalists overhearing developers talking while waiting in line, so hopefully we'll get some good tidbits.

Feb 10, 2018
For sure, I'm very excited to see what AMD has up there sleeves, especially with the rumors that Sony engineers are pretty directly involved with Navi.

I'm not even saying I think the system will be underpowered. Merely for people to keep their expectations on the tamer side. I would be fully content if PS5 is about a doubling of PS4 pro's processing power.

I think it's most stark improvement is likely to be on its CPU side.

I would not get to exited about amd navi PS5 secret sauce.
AMD is not going to let Sony have a significant advantage over there retail GPUs, it makes no sense.
A navi pc gpu the same power as the PS5 gpu will give very smiler results.
Like how a 570 is ps4 pro performance and a 580 performs like an 1X.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I honestly don't care, I'm just hungry as fuck for next gen news. As good as this gen is, I can't lie I'm eagerly waiting for that first big info dump of new hardware. It's just so exciting.

I know, I feel the same way, I just would be sad to see people getting their hopes up only for them to be smacked down. That includes my hopes.

I saw 3 new pages and thought we got some juicy rumors, what is wrong with you guys?

I think that would take another 3 pages.

I would not get to exited about amd navi PS5 secret sauce.
AMD is not going to let Sony have a significant advantage over there retail GPUs, it makes no sense.
A navi pc gpu the same power as the PS5 gpu will give very smiler results.
Like how a 570 is ps4 pro performance and a 580 performs like an 1X.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean that Sony's Navi chip will be better than the graphics cards. Could be that Sony's help improved both of those things equally, which would be wonderful.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Oh no #team2019 is activating again, tbh the real battle is between H1 2020 and H2 2020.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018
I know, I feel the same way, I just would be sad to see people getting their hopes up only for them to be smacked down. That includes my hopes.

I think that would take another 3 pages.

It doesn't necessarily have to mean that Sony's Navi chip will be better than the graphics cards. Could be that Sony's help improved both of those things equally, which would be wonderful.

It would be wonderful, xbox would also benefit.

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I guess Kyle Bosman was right after all lol. Team 2019 it is ;-)

Can't wait for some leaks - they got to come soon right?
It feels like the discussion hasn't gone anywhere due to the lack of new information.

Would be very exciting if we get a leak or a tease of PS5 from Sony.

Oct 28, 2017
So I'm guessing this is what all the Sony silence is really for. The announcement of PS5 is probably happening in 2019 if what those Japanese devs are suggesting of course in those tweets above.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Okay those comments from japanese developers are VERY interesting, and very obviously hinting at PS5 getting revealed in 2019. While this does not confirm a 2019 release at all, this is a strong counter point to holiday 2020 launch. Im sticking with march 2020 launch.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have a question that I can't create a new thread for: Is anyone considering waiting for the inevitable Pro versions said next generation consoles?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Okay those comments from japanese developers are VERY interesting, and very obviously hinting at PS5 getting revealed in 2019. While this does not confirm a 2019 release at all, this is a strong counter point to holiday 2020 launch. Im sticking with march 2020 launch.
The leaker said Sony is aiming for March 2020 but might slip to November .so March is the actual plan if we were to believe that rumor . And yea reveal is 2019

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you mean reddit leaker right? yea he sounds more believable every time we getting some new detail.
Yeah till now he hasn't been proven wrong yet.other than anthem that he cleared next day that ea might choose not to delay it due to FY finances . Let's see how anthem runs on base ps4 and xbox1 .

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question that I can't create a new thread for: Is anyone considering waiting for the inevitable Pro versions said next generation consoles?

Nope. I'm buying my PS5 day one baby! Can't wait to bring home that beautiful piece of plastic!!!!!!!!!!!

zZtxFRXuEKHYvVuTnVQTLT-320-80.jpg

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yeah till now he hasn't been proven wrong yet.other than anthem that he cleared next day that ea might choose not to delay it due to FY finances . Let's see how anthem runs on base ps4 and xbox1 .
i heard conflicting reports from different people (some saying it is running, others saying 10fps on hub on X1X etc. i did hear a lot that that it was heavily downgraded however), but i wont be surprised if the game will have a lot of problems on launch because EA did not delay to hit FY for Anthem.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
i heard conflicting reports from different people (some saying it is running, others saying 10fps on hub on X1X etc. i did hear a lot that that it was heavily downgraded however), but i wont be surprised if the game will have a lot of problems on launch because EA did not delay to hit FY for Anthem.

The hub is so empty I don't know how it can drop frames. It's so empty in that small area. All the features were disabled too so you couldn't do anything of note. lol

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea when Sony gonna launch it but i strongly believe they will not announce it in one year and launch it year later.That's what MS did with Scorpio.PS CEO said back in 2016 they want "Apple style" announcement and launch soon after that.

That was for PS4 Pro and PS4 Slim, which they announced and launched Apple style.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are some potential launch titles we know about?

Halo Infinite and Last of Us 2? That'd be pretty sweaty.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
If PS5 will be using shared memory for VRAM then is 16gb of total memory really enough? 4k textures alone are gonna eat 5+gb,OS is already about 2gb on PS4,so i guess ps5 might use almost 4GB.

If we get 16GB, developers are gonna have ~7gb for game deveopement which really isn't enough for the next 7 years.

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
TV At CES 2019: '8K Is Getting Real'
Every manufacturer expected to show 8K equipment

"8K is getting real," said Steve Koenig, CTA's VP of market research. "We've seen 8K in previous years, but now I expect every manufacturer will show 8K equipment, and there will be big announcements about plans to begin shipping 8K sets later in the year."

Koenig's forecast will also confirm the strength of the television receiver market, showing that 55-inch 4K UHD displays are "now the industry standard,"

2020 the start of the "Data Age," following the "Digital Age" (2000) and "Connected Age" (2010). They singled out the growing use of artificial intelligence — where IoT, which usually stands for "Internet of Things" — has been updated to the "new" IoT: "Intelligence of Things," in which digital assistants become more specialized and a range of home products are integrated into a "whole home view."

"Our entire focus is on the commercialization of the very flexible ATSC 3.0 standard," of Pearl TV, Schelle said. The organization's leaders and its Phoenix model market partners will be at CES "meeting with various ecosystem partners, reaching out to consumer device manufacturers, automotive manufacturers, and other players to share our service requirements and plans resulting from the Phoenix tests," she said.

Separately, ONE Media, the Sinclair Broadcasting technology unit that is developing Next Gen TV services, will privately demonstrate three configurations of its chip for ATSC 3.0 devices. There will be a simple demodulator package, a demodulator with analog/digital conversion capability and a demodulator with analog/digital conversion plus an embedded turner, according to Mark Aitken, president of ONE Media and Sinclair's vice president of advanced technology.

First versions of the chip, which was developed by Saankhya Labs, an Indian firm in which Sinclair holds a major stake, were due to be delivered during the past month from a Samsung foundry. The single-chip receivers feature a low-power embedded antenna and were also designed for use in moving vehicles. The chips include a closely coupled antenna array to insure reception in a high-speed mobile environment, according to Aitken.
Cheap ATSC 3.0 tuner chips shipping now but likely a year before they hit the market = late 2019. Multiple versions of the tuner chipsets are for multiple platforms from a Network ATSC 3.0 tuner to tuner for TVs and chipsets for platforms with digital bridge support.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
If PS5 will be using shared memory for VRAM then is 16gb of total memory really enough? 4k textures alone are gonna eat 5+gb,OS is already about 2gb on PS4,so i guess ps5 might use almost 4GB.

If we get 16GB, developers are gonna have ~7gb for game deveopement which really isn't enough for the next 7 years.
i think they will eat the loss and go 24gb GDDR6 instead. there are so many advantages.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Or they might have 4-8GB of DDR3 for most of the OS and other non-game functions. If they can get 15GB of high-bandwidth GDDR6 for games, I feel that would be enough when combined with HBCC's RAM efficiency improvements.
is there any speed difference between 16GB and 24GB? i am not too familiar with this but i know there is a differnece between different speeds based on bus and stuff like that.
anyway, i fear that separating the two ram pools may be inefficient and slow down the system due to switching between the two all the time. so i am not sure i want that.

illamap

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think footprint of ps4 os 2.5 gb so going to 16 would almost triple the amount ram devs have. Plus wasn't there some calculations that 16 gb is the max ram without bandwidth starving presumed 10-12 tf gpu on affordable memory lane.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
is there any speed difference between 16GB and 24GB? i am not too familiar with this but i know there is a differnece between different speeds based on bus and stuff like that.
anyway, i fear that separating the two ram pools may be inefficient and slow down the system due to switching between the two all the time. so i am not sure i want that.

I'm not entirely sure, but the PS4 Pro already uses some DDR3 for media app suspension, so I imagine it would probably be fine.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017

A 256-bit bus allows you to put 8 memory chips, a 384-bit, 12.
Assuming 2GB per memory chip, you get 2*8=16GB of memory with 256-bit. With 384-bit, 2*12=24GB.

EDIT:

For the speed, a 384-bit bus will allow you to reach higher bandwidth than a 256-bit bus due to their higher number of channel i/o (12 against 8). Obviously, the drawback is a 384-bit bus is more expensive than the 256-bit bus, more power hungry and you have much less opportunities to reduce costs overtime (if any actually).

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I'm not entirely sure, but the PS4 Pro already uses some DDR3 for media app suspension, so I imagine it would probably be fine.
im pretty sure that the way the pro does it is that it offloads unactive apps over there while plaing intensive games that need more ram, it doesnt actually move the OS over there. doing that would be a whole other challange and i do not wish for the OS to be slow.

A 256-bit bus allows you to put 8 memory chips, a 384-bit, 12.
Assuming 2GB per memory chip, you get 2*8=16GB of memory with 256-bit. With 384-bit, 2*12=24GB.

EDIT:

For the speed, a 384-bit bus will allow you to reach higher bandwidth than a 256-bit bus due to their higher number of channel i/o (12 against 8). Obviously, the drawback is a 384-bit bus is more expensive than the 256-bit bus, more power hungry and you have much less opportunities to reduce costs overtime (if any actually).
seems that 24GB has a big speed advantage, in that case i hope sony goes for it, even if its pricey.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Now let's all take the time to recall when Japanese developers collectively rejoiced and released PS4 games in 2013 the year it was announced.

As good as PS4 has done, it still hasn't matched PS3 LTD in Japan IIRC.

to be fair, western devs weren't really firing on all cylinders in the early years either. 2014 was pretttttty dry for PS4.

Comparing the morale and health of the industry back then and now, it's so different. Plus no major architectural changes means we should be seeing a healthy dose of support from developers/publishers in this transition.

And JP devs have seen decent success from global sales. Platinum/Square-Enix and Capcom especially.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Now let's all take the time to recall when Japanese developers collectively rejoiced and released PS4 games in 2013 the year it was announced.

As good as PS4 has done, it still hasn't matched PS3 LTD in Japan IIRC.
The Japanese performance doesn't matter to most of them, it's the WW strength that is attractive.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Transition to HD development was pretty rough for japanese devs, but since the platforms moved to more standardized hardware - x64, etc - and they started embracing more commonly available engines, they started bouncing back.

Transition for the next gen should be much smoother for them (and everyone else, really).