• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure PS4 was going the "no used games" route as well, right up until the point where the whole MS backlash happened. At least, I remember hearing that somewhere.

Well yes, hearing it from places like that Kotaku article. It doesn't take many reprints and quotes on forums of stuff like that for it to become "common knowledge".

Was it ever really the truth though? The PS4 reveal went first in 2013, they just decided not to mention it? Does the 2013 PS4 appear like a system designed for always online no used games, like the 2013 Xbox One did?

Was it even perhaps a trap, an intentional leak knowing MS wouldn't be able to resist the chance of always on DRM?

My guess it is just an incorrect rumor, someone getting Orbis and Durango mixed up at some point.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
2012 was full of major rumors with specific details about the features and hardware of the next gen systems, since February of that year. I remember Kotaku writing about Orbis one day and about Durango the next day. It was insane.

Nothing like that has happened this year. We dont have any major rumor about any of the next-gen consoles. If PS5 or the next Xbox are coming 2019, then they are very well kept from any leaks.

It is different. I think for PS5 you have to look at PS4 Pro as I think how that evolved will be closer to how PS5 info will come out. The first vague hints on Pro came from a Kotaku journalist overhearing devs talking about it at GDC 2016 IIRC? Then Patrick Klepek did his deep dive investigation.

All that just ~ 8 months from release. I don't think it will be that late before we start getting proper info about PS5 but toward the end of this year wouldn't be so shocking. I know most here dismiss my Bink find but Matt's comments as posted earlier can't be ignored.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to play the PS4 version of Last of Us 2 with better resolution and framerate on PS5 via a patch.

I want to play the PS5 version of Last of Us 2 with improved character models, textures and whatever else next gen affords, similar to the jump from the original and remastered version of Last of Us 1.

Let's imagine if by some miracle Cyberpunk 2077 comes out before next gen (ha!) do you just want to play the last gen version on your big bastard new machine or would you rather they went the extra mile and used the raw power to make the game closer to their vision as possible.

We'll be able to have what you want with just a PS4 SKU thanks to PS5 having more memory available. At it's core, games like TLoU2 are and were designed for the PS4 and aren't going to be "next-gen" titles as a result. That'd require remaking almost the entire game.

You'll get better resolution, framerate, textures, and potentially the same character model swap that we saw with the remastered SKU at the beginning of this year.

Well yes, hearing it from places like that Kotaku article. It doesn't take many reprints and quotes on forums of stuff like that for it to become "common knowledge".

Was it ever really the truth though? The PS4 reveal went first in 2013, they just decided not to mention it? Does the 2013 PS4 appear like a system designed for always online no used games, like the 2013 Xbox One did?

Was it even perhaps a trap, an intentional leak knowing MS wouldn't be able to resist the chance of always on DRM?

My guess it is just an incorrect rumor, someone getting Orbis and Durango mixed up at some point.

You're already "installing" games off discs in order to play them, so the only missing piece is how your license for that game is validated. IIRC, the thing people hated about the One was the it essentially spent the "key" from your disc upon installation. Sources said that stores like Gamestop would have required special machines to assign new product keys to a disc if you brought it back. The upside to having remnants of this approach on the One is that I can buy a game on disc, install it on my Xbox, and then buy a digital copy and have no additional downloads.

I think there were documents that showed Sony at least having the intention of implementing a similar system. I haven't been able to find whether the tech for it is still part of the PS4 we have today. If it is, I don't know how Sony would have built the infrastructure to re-issue keys on their own.

Yep... the lack of leaks, makes me believe the 2020 scenario...

I've seen a few people mention the idea of not having leaks for PS5, but is that true? What about the talk of NAVI being designed with Sony's input? Are we discounting that because we don't know a codename like we do for the next Xbox?

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I've seen a few people mention the idea of not having leaks for PS5, but is that true? What about the talk of NAVI being designed with Sony's input? Are we discounting that because we don't know a codename like we do for the next Xbox?

Honestly it seems to be at the point of unless mods/admin or Jason Schreier confirm it, nothing is believed. Tough (skeptical) crowd these days!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jason also said 2020, which I'm believing less and less, so who really knows.

To be fair, Jason said that 2020 was the only real release window his sources had heard of. He was also very open about saying that plans can change. As his digging around for that article was at the beginning of this year, there's tons of room for things to get moved around even if 2020 was the initial plan. A Fall 2019 release is over a year and a half away from when Jason got information from his primary sources.

Jun 18, 2018
Honestly it seems to be at the point of unless mods/admin or Jason Schreier confirm it, nothing is believed. Tough (skeptical) crowd these days!

Or more realistic. The variables in designing, building, stockpiling, announcing and releasing a console are different for every machine and every gen. As are the timelines behind starting, developing and receiving dev kits for a launch version. Ontop of that, devs are alot more leak conscious than they used to be - especially if you work for a dev developing multiple titles on competing hardware or for different publishers. And then you have the fact that leaks don't occur at the same point on every pre-launch timeline.

There are clues out there, in terms of related hardware road maps & software announcements, but they can't give you an accurate date either. Based on what we know, late 2019 to late 2020 seems plausible for a PS5 launch. Anyone saying that know better based on the data currently available to public is being delusional or blinded by personal bias.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Don't get me wrong, Jason was very honest in saying he thought 2020 was more believable for him personally as he felt PS4 was just getting going?

He didn't rule out 2019 as you say, though and I think that is quite significant as I doubt anything as changed since his article.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Pretty sure PS4 was going the "no used games" route as well, right up until the point where the whole MS backlash happened. At least, I remember hearing that somewhere.

What if Sony tricked MS into thinking they were going for the "no used games" route aswell? I don't remember a mention about being able to play used games when the PS4 was revealed and I remember how they mentioned it at E3 with that banter tutorial video.

Heh, well I had early 2020 down, just on a hunch they'd do something a little different this time, maybe launch in three territories at once for the first time ever.
I expect they can do a 2019 launch if they want to though.

I think it will depend on if PS5 will be using 7nm or not.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
People can already change their vote in the current poll, so it could be a reasonably current opinion anyhow. I don't know how many posters are aware of the button, however.

I guess it depends on what games you liked. I'm pretty old and yet my memory of the first two years of this gen is of some of the best gaming years of all time, with Destiny, it's first two small expansions and then The Taken King all being released in this window. Those alone will certainly have crushed my hours played record for the entire Xbox360 gen before it.

Then there was also Resogun, Warframe, War Thunder, Infamous SS + First Light, Wolfenstein TNO, Driveclub, Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight, Trials Fusion (and Diablo 3, Tomb Raider DE and TLoU if counting remasters, and they count for me)
Yeah, those didn't do anything for me, lol. Didn't help that most games were cross-gen, and built for last-gen systems because no one had confidence in the new gen. It was the worst two years of any gen I've ever seen. I was very close to selling my PS4 until BloodBorne came out.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL so MS knew and they still decided to reveal it and then reconfirm it at the E3 conference. What the hell were they doing.

I always feel like I'm in the minority for liking the ideas that they had planned with the launch Xbox One. I've noticed that the narrative this past few pages has been focused on "no used games" without mentioning the other ideas that were planned. I'd be all for a hybrid approach on the next Xbox honestly.

If a buy a disc, the console can ask if I want to always play "off the disc" or if I want a digital copy. The digital option would use the one-time key on the disc but allow you never put the disc back in. You could then still trade in the disc copy, but at a lower value as stores like Gamestop would need Microsoft tech to re-assign a new product key.

I'd also love the game sharing idea where you could let friends "borrow" digital games. I essentially do that now with my best bud, but it does feel pretty compromising to need my account on his Xbox as the "primary".

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I always feel like I'm in the minority for liking the ideas that they had planned with the launch Xbox One. I've noticed that the narrative this past few pages has been focused on "no used games" without mentioning the other ideas that were planned. I'd be all for a hybrid approach on the next Xbox honestly.

If a buy a disc, the console can ask if I want to always play "off the disc" or if I want a digital copy. The digital option would use the one-time key on the disc but allow you never put the disc back in. You could then still trade in the disc copy, but at a lower value as stores like Gamestop would need Microsoft tech to re-assign a new product key.

I'd also love the game sharing idea where you could let friends "borrow" digital games. I essentially do that now with my best bud, but it does feel pretty compromising to need my account on his Xbox as the "primary".

I don't think that would be possible. You'd need either a rewritable section of the disc or the consoles the be always online so the serial number of the disc could be relicensed.

I liked the original xbox idea too. I don't sell my games anyway. Also at the time of launch I was living in a rural area with incredibly bad Internet, 1.5mb was peak speed. So the idea of going to gamestop and buying digital games that I didn't have to download was very appealing.

Unfortunately it was the rest of their messaging that turned me off. TV, Sports, USA

Jun 18, 2018
7nm also makes business sense from the fact that you can switch over to 7+nm later down the line for a smaller, cooler & (hopefully) cheaper to produce machine.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that would be possible. You'd need either a rewritable section of the disc or the consoles the be always online so the serial number of the disc could be relicensed.

I liked the original xbox idea too. I don't sell my games anyway. Also at the time of launch I was living in a rural area with incredibly bad Internet, 1.5mb was peak speed. So the idea of going to gamestop and buying digital games that I didn't have to download was very appealing.

Unfortunately it was the rest of their messaging that turned me off. TV, Sports, USA

Solid point about the "always online" aspect. Is a rewritable portion of the disc feasible at all? That's the only thing that would seemingly allow people who will never take the console online to play their games.

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
IW is hiring for next year's game. It's their turn next year. Mentioned next gen platforms. PS5 is almost certainly 2019

Deep Friar

Mar 17, 2018
I know that, but their game is next year. Unless they've posted job offerings three/four years in advance before, this means PS5 is next year.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Plus Matt apparently alluded to 2019 anyway, so I'm fairly confident next year is the year.
I'm starting to think the Matt comments were nothing, or at least mean nothing now. He was very forthcoming back then, and seems to have shot his bolt now, perhaps because the info was no longer correct. So, I'm back in team 2020 now.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Or they could be referring to PS4/XB1 as next-gen. :'(

I hope not lol.

I was thinking exactly that (it has been done many times before) but then Pixel at B3D found this job listing that makes a good case.....

https://activision.referrals.selectminds.com/infinityward/jobs/narrative-scripter-temporary-2608

Infinity Ward, developer of numerous award winning games, is seeking a Senior Lighting Artist, preferably with experience in game development and an interest in working with next-generation technologies. If you are a Senior Lighting Artist and have experience shipping AAA titles with visually stunning lighting aesthetics, then we are looking for you!

Responsibilities:

• Work with Level Designers, Environment Artists, Visual Effects Artists, and Team Leads to provide lighting for game environments
  • Creation of static and dynamic lighting using our proprietary game engine software
  • Manage lighting solutions within our memory and performance guidelines
  • Create and manage textures and IES light profiles for modulating lighting effects
  • Solve technical issues that arise with new tools or game performance

Requirements:

• 5+ years of lighting experience on current console hardware
  • Solid understanding and experience with creating lighting within a pre-baked light map pipeline
  • Understanding of composition and the ability to enhance mood by lighting
  • Excellent working knowledge of Photoshop and 3ds Max or equivalent
  • Excellent written and oral communication skills
  • Ability to communicate effectively with both Artists and Programmers in a large team
  • Work samples must show excellent real-time lighting made for next generation console games
  • Knowledge of color theory and strong sense of contrast, light and shadow
  • Working knowledge of common industry rendering programs
  • Ability to follow design reference and Art Direction, and an ability to work within a wide range of styles
  • Experience with Radiant
  • Experience with one or more scripting/programming languages
Thoughts?

Pelagic II

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
Infinity Ward, developer of numerous award winning games, is seeking a Senior Lighting Artist, preferably with experience in game development and an interest in working with next-generation technologies. If you are a Senior Lighting Artist and have experience shipping AAA titles with visually stunning lighting aesthetics, then we are looking for

Requirements:

• Solid understanding and experience with creating lighting within a pre-baked light map pipeline
  • Ability to communicate effectively with both Artists and Programmers in a large team
  • Work samples must show excellent real-time lighting made for next generation console games
  • Ability to follow design reference and Art Direction, and an ability to work within a wide range of styles
Thoughts?

Lol thats pretty much a wellthereitis.gif lmao
I fully believe fall 2019 is the time for the Playstation 5. There is just too much smoke by now...
Lots of games hinting at nextgen, Sony announcing nothing at E3, PS Plus ending giving out PS 3 games early next year.
Sony is obviously building up to something.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol thats pretty much a wellthereitis.gif lmao
I fully believe fall 2019 is the time for the Playstation 5. There is just too much smoke by now...
Lots of games hinting at nextgen, Sony announcing nothing at E3, PS Plus ending giving out PS 3 games early next year.
Sony is obviously building up to something.

I also found it kind of weird when Layden specifically said there would be no hardware announcements at E3 2018.

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ps5 end of 2019 I'm inclined to believe a really weak console for $399 8-10 tflops at best.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Haha man. Y'all can believe whatever you want, but if you guys are getting your hopes up for a new generation of consoles in 2019, you're probably going to be disappointed.

SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

dobahking91

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking exactly that (it has been done many times before) but then Pixel at B3D found this job listing that makes a good case.....

https://activision.referrals.selectminds.com/infinityward/jobs/narrative-scripter-temporary-2608

Infinity Ward, developer of numerous award winning games, is seeking a Senior Lighting Artist, preferably with experience in game development and an interest in working with next-generation technologies. If you are a Senior Lighting Artist and have experience shipping AAA titles with visually stunning lighting aesthetics, then we are looking for you!

Responsibilities:

• Work with Level Designers, Environment Artists, Visual Effects Artists, and Team Leads to provide lighting for game environments
  • Creation of static and dynamic lighting using our proprietary game engine software
  • Manage lighting solutions within our memory and performance guidelines
  • Create and manage textures and IES light profiles for modulating lighting effects
  • Solve technical issues that arise with new tools or game performance

Requirements:

Thoughts?

Damn they are definitely targeting next gen hardwares.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
2012 was full of major rumors with specific details about the features and hardware of the next gen systems, since February of that year. I remember Kotaku writing about Orbis one day and about Durango the next day. It was insane.

Nothing like that has happened this year. We dont have any major rumor about any of the next-gen consoles. If PS5 or the next Xbox are coming 2019, then they are very well kept from any leaks.

Exactly.

We don't yet have anything like the Oribis/PS4 and Durango/XB1 leaks right now.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know that or do you think new consoles will come out in 2020?
I have talked to dozens of developers about this, at both first- and third-parties, and the widespread belief is that Sony is targeting 2020.

I say "probably" because with hardware, everything is subject to change at any given time (Microsoft launched the Xbox One in November 2013 even though they were ~6 months behind schedule).

But if you spend the next year obsessively checking this thread and looking for 2019 clues in job listings and shit like that, you're just gonna drive yourself insane.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I have talked to dozens of developers about this, at both first- and third-parties, and the widespread belief is that Sony is targeting 2020.

I say "probably" because with hardware, everything is subject to change at any given time (Microsoft launched the Xbox One in November 2013 even though they were ~6 months behind schedule).

But if you spend the next year obsessively checking this thread and looking for 2019 clues in job listings and shit like that, you're just gonna drive yourself insane.
Any idea whether it's gonna be fall or early 2020?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
People can already change their vote in the current poll, so it could be a reasonably current opinion anyhow. I don't know how many posters are aware of the button, however.

I guess it depends on what games you liked. I'm pretty old and yet my memory of the first two years of this gen is of some of the best gaming years of all time, with Destiny, it's first two small expansions and then The Taken King all being released in this window. Those alone will certainly have crushed my hours played record for the entire Xbox360 gen before it.

Then there was also Resogun, Warframe, War Thunder, Infamous SS + First Light, Wolfenstein TNO, Driveclub, Shadow of Mordor, Arkham Knight, Trials Fusion (and Diablo 3, Tomb Raider DE and TLoU if counting remasters, and they count for me)

And Bloodborne. That game got me into souls and opened a whole new gaming world for me

gueras

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much, but gueras has set in his mind, for a while and against pretty much all evidence to the contrary, that a 8TF console is happening. It isn't.
I hope not my friend. I think anything less than 12 tflops doesn't justify a next-gen

for an amd vga 12 tflops is something between a vega56(10.5) and a vega64(13.7)

hope they can get that on 7nm

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Possibly as simple as those leak sources being plugged? Also we are only a month into the window of the big VGLeaks blowout (June 2012).

The level of things that leaked out in the past on a GAF/Beyond3D/etc were substantial even before the huge developer document leaks, so unless Sony now has NDA's that are enforced by magic ninjas, that's likely not going to change.

Even something like the PS4 Pro, which came out of nowhere, was inadvertently leaked when some game journalist were standing in line behind some developers who were talking about it at a gaming conference, Sony can't plug those type of leaks on their best day.

2019 is still absolutely possible, but you can't fault most folks wanting something more substantial than Jeff Rigby-type leaks before they full-on board the 2019 hype-train.