• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Sony did release TLOU in 2013.

But they are releasing TLOU II

And Ghosts of Tsushima

And Days Gone

And Death Stranding

All of which are AAA games thought to be released in 2019, so no, it's not quite the same situation as with the PS4 in 2013. Not even close.

Today,Sony is keen to "close the deal " on the groundwork established by PS4 during this generational transition. With a surging Nintendo on one side and a revitalized Microsoft on the other side."hey we only have PS4 remasters for your new $400-500 console. Please be excited!" Isn't going to cut it.

Especially if brand new exclusive games from proven developers like Playground games and fucking Ninja Theory will be out for Xbox Scarlett!

Let me tell you, in the face of that, I seriously doubt Sony will retain mindshare if all their initial offerings on PS5 are upscaled PS4 games.

That is crazy talk.

I don't think my post says what you think it does.
I think your post is crazy talk.

P.S. 2013 also had Beyond Two Souls and Gran Turismo 6. None of which were available via BC.

Last edited:

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
It won't if all the touch pad & lightbar haters get their way and get a controller without them.
I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. The touchpad was largely used as an additional button. Also, people's biggest problem with the DS4 is the battery life, not those features you named.

Also, the idea that PS4 BC won't happen because of the controller is ludicrous considering that Sony is clearly interested in keeping users locked to the PS ecosystem.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I don't think it'll be that big of a deal. The touchpad was largely used as an additional button. Also, people's biggest problem with the DS4 is the battery life, not those features you named.

Also, the idea that PS4 BC won't happen because of the controller is ludicrous considering that Sony is clearly interested in keeping users locked to the PS ecosystem.
Well getting rid of the light bar would exclude all vr games

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want the touchpad to be gone as it's worthless and just used as an extra button which majority of the time is for the respective game's world map. Would much rather see the "options" button changed back to what it should be - the "start" button. Bring back the "select" button while keeping the "share" button. Everything else stays exactly the same because the DualShock controller doesn't need nor should have any major changes.

The light bar will stay if Sony is planning on a PSVR 2 which im guessing they are or they wouldn't have announced the 3M sales that the current PSVR have sold. What there should be though is an on/off option for the light bar. It's there for PSVR and future PSVR 2 games and can be turned off for the non-VR games so the battery can last longer.

Doing these few changes would make the controller perfect as it doesn't need any kind of redesign whatsoever.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
^ removing the touchpad and replacing it with a button is dumb because it removes functionality in games that use the touchpad as multiple buttons and not just one.

Here's a better idea: How about developers use it better?

5Twist

Oct 27, 2017
You would hope so.

I was just referring to the large number of people who want rid of the light bar.
"Large" is too vague. What are the numbers in either raw numbers or a percentage? What is your methodology that led to your conclusion? If those who want Sony to get rid of the light bar are satisfied enough if Sony provides the option to turn off the light, then the light bar that much of an issue at all.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
They could always go for an Apple style rollout and give it two months. Sorta like the January switch event that led to March release (tho switch trailer debuted in October)

They could, but personally I think launching a console is quite different to an Apple product and needs a longer period to show off both hardware and software, so I don't envisage any less than six months between reveal and launch.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
^ removing the touchpad and replacing it with a button is dumb because it removes functionality in games that use the touchpad as multiple buttons and not just one.

Here's a better idea: How about developers use it better?

Yeah, it can easily be used for 2-4 buttons, more if you want to incorporate quick gestures as well. This frequently goes to waste because the Xbox One controller lacks comparable inputs so multiplatform developers don't take advantage. The DS4 gyro features get wasted for the same reason. Nintendo-style gyro aiming would be easily accomplished on a DS4, but not and Xbox One controller.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
Pretty exciting that we have at most ONE more E3 left focused on this generation. So excited to see what a next-gen game looks like.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Sony will be working to a timetable which has been fairly set for some time (unless that have 2 options on the go).

They won't just delay until it suits them, it's not as simple as that.

I'm not saying they'll delay it. I'm saying that they absolutely plan on releasing in 2020, and if MS releases in 202 Sony has a year build in to adjust their plans, particularly with hardware.

Feb 10, 2018
I'm not saying they'll delay it. I'm saying that they absolutely plan on releasing in 2020, and if MS releases in 202 Sony has a year build in to adjust their plans, particularly with hardware.

They will not be able to change there hardware much, the hardware and thermals would of been designed already. A year out they might be able to adjust ram, hard drives and small clock speed changes but the changes wont be drastic.

By now both hardware for PS5 and scarlett will be locked down.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
They will not be able to change there hardware much, the hardware and thermals would of been designed already. A year out they might be able to adjust ram, hard drives and small clock speed changes but the changes wont be drastic.

its more about scale. 7nm wont be fully ready til the end of this year, and both sony/ms are going to wait for it to mature. 2020 makes the most sense.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas

They added an additional 4GB of memory to the PS4 between the dev kit and announcements. They'll be able to plan for changes or changed components within a 12 month window. I'm not talking drastic CPU changes.

It's Not necessary to make hyperbolic examples out of very reasonable statements.

That said, 2020 is when PS5 is coming out. Next year is essentially out of the question.

Feb 10, 2018
its more about scale. 7nm wont be fully ready til the end of this year, and both sony/ms are going to wait for it to mature. 2020 makes the most sense.

Yes but the chips design will be locked down now, they will know its thermals from virtualisation.

Regarding PS4s 4gb to 8gb 8byte mentioned, yes that s true which Is why I said ram is one of the things that can be adjusted close to launch, but for a doubling of ram the stars will have to align and it is an uncommon thing to happen.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
People are forgetting FFVII Remake becoming an exclusive PS5 LAUNCH title just like FFXV became XV instead of unumbered spinoff game.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are forgetting FFVII Remake becoming an exclusive PS5 LAUNCH title just like FFXV became XV instead of unumbered spinoff game.
SE isn't going to intentionally restrict the market of FFVII Remake by making it a PS5 exclusive. If they get told in secret that PS5 will have BC, then they will have no reason not to make it a PS4 game and have it fully compatible with PS5.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of ram, looks like prices are going down. I haven't seen any 8GB sticks under $70 in over a year.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
Remember how particle effects were the big focus when it came to showing off and dazzling with the new hardware for this current gen (Unreal 4 was really into it too)?

What is going to be the big show off effect with the new tech this time? Ray tracing or something else?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
They added an additional 4GB of memory to the PS4 between the dev kit and announcements. They'll be able to plan for changes or changed components within a 12 month window. I'm not talking drastic CPU changes.

If I remember correctly, the dev kits already had 8GB because it's common to over provision developer boxes with extra memory for use during the development process. The original plan was to ship retail units with 4GB, true, but the dev kits and retail units are the same design, just populated differently. So the change wouldn't have involved any retooling, just changes to the supply chain and per unit cost.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
P.S. 2013 also had Beyond Two Souls and Gran Turismo 6. None of which were available via BC.
The fact that they did a mistake last time doesn't mean they will do the same mistake again.

Well if Sony is planning for 2021, it would be too early to stop announcing new games in 2018.
No:
2019: Days Gone in February, The Last of Us Part II in July.
2020 : Ghost of Tsushima in March, Death Stranding in May.
2021 : PlayStation 5 launch with Horizon 2 in March.

2 AAA by year, plus a lot of mid-sized games (WiLD, the new remake from Bluepoint, Concrete Genie, Dreams, ...). This is enough.

Feb 10, 2018
Remember how particle effects were the big focus when it came to showing off and dazzling with the new hardware for this current gen (Unreal 4 was really into it too)?

What is going to be the big show off effect with the new tech this time? Ray tracing or something else?

Animation(see TLOU2 as a glimpse of whats to come in next gen animation) and more of what we got this gen.
If we are lucky MS/SONY will create hardware possible of combining rasteurization with ray tracing similar to the nvidia RTX methods.
The nvidia RTX demos show implementations of raytracing added to current games, games built from the ground up using this hybrid approach should have better visual results and should be possible at 4kcb @30fps.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No:

2 AAA by year, plus a lot of mid-sized games (WiLD, the new remake from Bluepoint, Concrete Genie, Dreams, ...). This is enough.
Sony historically release at least FOUR 1st party games a year, usually six. Two 1st party games a year is more Microsoft's style.

8byte

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
The fact that they did a mistake last time doesn't mean they will do the same mistake again.

No:

2021 isn't happening, either.

It is extremely likely that PS5 will be BC with PS4. If GoT comes in 2020, you can 100% expect it to also have some bells and whistles on PS5.

Sony is looking to loosely model the phone market with consoles, witch refreshes & continuity. 2021 is a mistake and won't happen.

2019 price drop (if sales stagnate) to $200-$250 for the base unit. I believe this is why Sony left 2019 blank on their projections is because they aren't locked on a price drop or amount yet and are just waiting to see how hardware performs. No matter what they'll have the price dropped by 2020 so as to not encroach on the PS5 launch. They know by this point their console is coming out and what the price of the PS4 price will be (hence their projected earnings).

2021 would just be a huge misstep for Sony.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Sony historically release at least FOUR 1st party games a year, usually six. Two 1st party games a year is more Microsoft's style.
I only counted the AAA; of course it will have at least tour games when you include the AA.

How many AAA Sony had release by year ?
2013: 1 (Killzone).
2014: 2 (InFamous: Second Son, Driveclub).
2015: 2 (The Order: 1886, Bloodborne).
2016: 2 (Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian).
2017: 2 (Horizon: Zero Dawn, GT Sport).
2018: 3 (God of War, Detroit: Become Human, Spider-Man).

So they have enough AAA for two years.

2021 would just be a huge misstep for Sony.
Why March 2021 would be very different from November 2020 ? It's the same fiscal year, it let one more holidays for the PlayStation 4 and more time for the PlayStation 5 games.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why March 2021 would be very different from November 2020 ? It's the same fiscal year, it let one more holidays for the PlayStation 4 and more time for the PlayStation 5 games.
You can make and release an entire PS4 game in less than 3 years. So it makes no sense to stop announcing new PS4 1st party games in 2018 if 2021 is the release year for PS5.

Feb 10, 2018
Does anyone know if the trailers for starfield and Elder scrolls 6 is realtime running on next gen level hardware?
Because even though there really short, the satellite space vessel thing in statecraft demo does look very detailed, also the ES6 map looks very detailed and CGI like too.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
You can make and release an entire PS4 game in less than 3 years. So it makes no sense to stop announcing new PS4 1st party games in 2018 if 2021 is the release year for PS5.
Which AAA exclusive has been made and released in less than three years?

In three years, we will be in 2021. Sony won't show a PlayStation 5 game now. But we know all major games that will come in 2019 and 2020.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone know if the trailers for starfield and Elder scrolls 6 is realtime running on next gen level hardware?
Because even though there really short, the satellite space vessel thing in statecraft demo does look very detailed, also the ES6 map looks very detailed and CGI like too.
Bethesda is claiming that they don't have devkits. They could be lying, but I don't think so. They are likely doing what Squaresoft did with FFX prior to PS2's release; making the game before the hardware details were known.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 will be out fall 2020. It makes the most sense from a financial/sales point of view and seeing their current release schedules of games.

They would have released all their big hitters by then on PS4 (which would also work on PS5 as it's gonna be BC) and had time to develop and release one or two Sony exclusives in the six month window of the PS5's release. Things are obviously being developed for it now behind closed doors by Sony studios just like any upcoming console.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Bloodborne 2 as a launch window title made exclusively for PS5. This would be perfect to attract the hardcore audience who initially are the same people who buy new consoles from day 1. Why would they be keeping so quiet about it considering the first game's success? Answer: PS5.

If it was gonna come out on PS4 it would have been announced this late in the gen by now. My prediction is it's a launch window title and exclusive to PS5 (not cross gen). They need a game like this made just for PS5 to attract initial sales of the console from the hardcore audience and blow them away.

FFVII Remake will be a cross gen game that launches around the time of the PS5 release too. However Sony will market it as a PS5 game and kinda forget it's even a PS4 game to attract as many people as possible on getting a PS5. Sony will ask Square Enix to market it as a PS5 game I'd imagine to attract initial sales of the console. Will probably pay them to do this with exclusivity deals etc.

Any late stragglers that are close to the release of PS5 like Ghosts of Tshushima will be cross gen but obviously look better on PS5 and I'd imagine they will be marketed by Sony to reflect that.

I mean it's fairly obvious this is what's gonna happen.

Last edited:

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017

It's Not necessary to make hyperbolic examples out of very reasonable statements.

That said, 2020 is when PS5 is coming out. Next year is essentially out of the question.

That was a simple upgrade that was just a risk regarding costs which paid off. Anything like different/faster GPU/CPU just simply isn't happening over a slight overclock.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Sony will step up their game after the Xbox One S and X with regards to quietness and arguably build quality. Microsoft also have a lot to live up to setting the bar high too. Exciting times on the hardware front, you can see why Microsoft were probably right to release the X and show they the chops even though it won't move the needle in sales much at all, people have confidence in them again on the hardware front at least.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFVII Remake will be a cross gen game that launches around the time of the PS5 release too. However Sony will market it as a PS5 game and kinda forget it's even a PS4 game to attract as many people as possible on getting a PS5. Sony will ask Square Enix to market it as a PS5 game I'd imagine to attract initial sales of the console. Will probably pay them to do this with exclusivity deals etc.
i don't think Sony need to pretend the FF7 Remake doesn't exist on PS4; they just need to pull a BotW and make sure ALL the promotion, gameplay trailers, and demos, are all played on the PS5. Basically getting everyone used to the superior graphics and frames. I am pretty sure Nintendo did this with BotW, never actually using the WiiU hardware at any point during their game showcase anywhere.

This has two beneficial effects;
1. It presents FF7 Remake in the best possible light so more people would want to buy it.
2. People who buy the game might run it on PS4, but since they had their expectations raised by the PS5 promotional footage, they might be convinced to upgrade once they see the differences.

And in the case of FF7 Remake, it would actually work better because the customer doesn't need to buy a different copy of the game like what BotW would need them to; they would know that the game they already bought would run on the new machine as is.

Sony is better off trying to use the carrot rather than the stick to get people to buy the new machine.