• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When will the first 'next gen' console arrive?

• H2 2019

Votes: 638 14.1%
  • H1 2020

Votes: 724 16.0%
  • H2 2020

Votes: 2,813 62.2%
  • H1 2021

Votes: 141 3.1%
  • H2 2021

Votes: 208 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I suppose this could be a word Epic themselves inserted into UE4 while PS5 remains unannounced rather than it being Sony's own code name? Or another platform for that matter?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The bPS4SeenOtherConsole bool declaration actually logically puts EREBUS with Xbox (like if it was a similar entity) 'against' PS4. It's more likely the codename of Scarlet in Unity than PS5 based on this.

This is true. I assume the acronym/abbreviation there "TST2" just refers to test or something? If it wasn't joined with Xbox, I would have said it could still be the PS5 and Sony isn't allowing crossplay between PS4 and PS5 xD.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I suppose this could be a word Epic themselves inserted into UE4 while PS5 remains unannounced rather than it being Sony's own code name? Or another platform for that matter?

This sounds unlikely to me.And why should they use name "Erebus" on their own?
Erebus is son of Orbis,it has to be,damn it. lol

Oh well,i hope we get some more info soon!

Oct 27, 2017
This is true. I assume the acronym/abbreviation there "TST2" just refers to test or something? If it wasn't joined with Xbox, I would have said it could still be the PS5 and Sony isn't allowing crossplay between PS4 and PS5 xD.
IDK. The next xbox could technically be the fifth xbox if you count Scorpio as its own thing. If you don't, then its the fourth xbox.

The five thing just makes too much sense for PlayStation. Not only that, why wouldn't they just use Scarlett if that's the code name for the next xbox?

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Here's an idea: they are pushing ps4 pro bundles like spider man and kingdom hearts 3 in January because they want to clear stock of Pro systems because,... put on tinfoil hat guys,... because if PS5 launches in 2019 then they will position PS4 as budget option and PS5 will replace Pro as the high sku.

Ps4 slim or super slim on 7nm in late 2019 that is $200 (or $250) and the ps5 for $399.99 November 2019, almost six years to the day that ps4 launched.

Ps5 plays all ps4 content and is sold initially as the premium place for ps4 content and doesn't have a whole lot of exclusives (but will have some at launch) but is sorta like a PS4 Pro Pro in late 2019 and early parts of 2020, before titles like horizon 2, GT7 and others hit ps5 in summer or fall 2020.

Again, i feel like 2020 is more likely for ps5 but i could see them doing this basic PS4 + PS5 (no PS4 Pro) for many reasons. Most of all, the ps5 (if BC) will eat into any market for the Pro if its close to it in price, a budget ps4 will sell better to consumers who aren't early adopters anyway and on a budget AND most of all they can use base PS4 visuals in marketing to make the leap to PS5 seem as big as possible

This is believable to me. I think Sony need to avoid PS5=PS4 Pro Pro as much as possible, but PS5 is always likely to be an evolution of PS4.

If Sony show plenty of PS5 games pre-launch, even if they are a some way out, and there's a clear tech leap, they should avoid the impression that PS5 is not fully next-gen.

Might have found a new (?) code name in UE4, but no clue what it could be:

Erebus

(The god of darkness in Greek mythology)

There is also the abbreviation "TST2" used for this platform:

onlinesubsystemnames_m1f8y.png

Path: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\Online\OnlineSubsystem\Source\Public\OnlineSubsystemNames.h

And here the name is used side by side with PS4 and Xbox:

partybeaconstate_cpp75iys.png

Path: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\Online\OnlineSubsystemUtils\Source\OnlineSubsystemUtils\Private\PartyBeaconState.cpp

Unfortunately, those are the only references I have found. Has someone heard this name before? Maybe it's just something boring, but who knows, lol.

EDIT: In the second pic, it also says "bPS4SeenOtherConsole", maybe that hints at it being a console?

Not concrete, but interesting.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IDK. The next xbox could technically be the fifth xbox if you count Scorpio as its own thing. If you don't, then its the fourth xbox.

The five thing just makes too much sense for PlayStation. Not only that, why wouldn't they just use Scarlett if that's the code name for the next xbox?

Perhaps they wouldn't use Scarlet because it's already public? I'm not sure. And yeah I'm not sure the 'fifth' part matters too much, it was just funny to see.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft doesn't use mythology names. If it's not PS5 then I highly doubt it's Scarlet. Scarlet is Scarlet.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
With Scarlet being very solidly late 2020 then I think that this can't be related as it wouldn't need to be in UE4 2.5 years out.
The boolean constant clearly implies EREBUS has the same crossplay behavior than XBX against PS4. It could be the code of EPIC crossplay rules that was still on when they "accidentally" enabled crossplay between PS and XBX. Because it should be deactivated in another place of the code, should be funny to find that flag.

But we know Epic are eagerly waiting for Sony approval to remove their infamous crossplay restrictions.

TST2 instead of XBX2 is kinda funny...and obvious.

Deleted member 29909

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Idk, from that second code example Erebus is (twice) grouped with XBox in bPS4SeenOtherConsole, so doesn't seem like it would be for PS5.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Yeah the earliest I can see them launching next Xbox is early/Spring 2020 with Halo Infinite.

Yup.And as BitesandBytes mentioned why the hell should Epic put code for next MS console 2 years in advance and plus give it Greek mythology name on its own?!?

We had Orbis,Morpheus...i mean,Erebus has to be part of that family!

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
On the cross-play issue, Sony might actually turn it around by announcing the PS5 (and by extension, PS4) will allow Playstation players to play against opponents on all other major gaming systems - somewhat disingenuous considering they are the main hold on cross-plat play, but also true, good PR and would end the issue at a stroke. I hope they do.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Do any of the Gods names used on prior hardware relate to the actual hardware's function or were they just random names?

Dant21

Apr 24, 2018
The bPS4SeenOtherConsole bool declaration actually logically puts EREBUS with Xbox (like if it was a similar entity) 'against' PS4. It's more likely the codename of Scarlet in Unity UE4 than PS5 based on this.

Perhaps they wouldn't use Scarlet because it's already public? I'm not sure. And yeah I'm not sure the 'fifth' part matters too much, it was just funny to see.

The boolean constant clearly implies EREBUS has the same crossplay behavior than XBX against PS4. It could be the code of EPIC crossplay rules that was still on when they "accidentally" enabled crossplay between PS and XBX. Because it should be deactivated in another place of the code, should be funny to find that flag.

But we know Epic are eagerly waiting for Sony approval to remove their infamous crossplay restrictions.

TST2 instead of XBX2 is kinda funny...and obvious.

Let me also introduce the possibility that "Erebus" may be referring to Microsoft's "streaming" Xbox that's been so heavily rumored. Maybe UE4 needs to register that as a different platform from Scarlet (possibly the dedicated hardware machine) because of the streaming functionality and having the cloud back-end to drive it.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Let me also introduce the possibility that "Erebus" may be referring to Microsoft's "streaming" Xbox that's been so heavily rumored. Maybe UE4 needs to register that as a different platform from Scarlet (possibly the dedicated hardware machine) because of the streaming functionality and having the cloud back-end to drive it.

Yes,but why should Epic use some Greek mithology name that MS never used for its previous consoles and Sony,on the other hand,did with PS4/PSVR?

I dunno,doesn't make sense to me.

Oct 27, 2017
Omg. There are so mant possible scenarios.

I really hope this is tied to sometbing

Tho you would think that streaming box is 2 years out so why add it now? Seems early unless of course it's somehow 2019

This is all so crazy. Somebody hold me lol

Oct 25, 2017
The bPS4SeenOtherConsole bool declaration actually logically puts EREBUS with Xbox (like if it was a similar entity) 'against' PS4. It's more likely the codename of Scarlet in Unity UE4 than PS5 based on this.

It puts Erebus among "platforms" incompatible with PS4, but it's talking about platforms, not necessarily consoles. The Xbox platform is just XBOX. Not XB1, or XBL.

Doesn't Switch have a party system? There should be code to check for Switch also right?

Edit: The suggestion above of it being the XB Streaming platform is definitely plausible.

VirtuaRacer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the cross-play issue, Sony might actually turn it around by announcing the PS5 (and by extension, PS4) will allow Playstation players to play against opponents on all other major gaming systems

The following interview was not widely circulated, probably because it doesn't help fuel the Sony hate train, but Pete Hines dropped a clue at GamesCom:

We also asked Hines if he personally feels that full cross-play between all platform is ever going to happen, and he thinks that it will.

"I think so eventually. When we start talking about next-generation consoles and so forth, I think that would be one place where you would likely start to see a difference. Maybe if there are things now that are preventing anybody from doing it, maybe they'll be able to adjust those things when they're putting together the next platform."

Wink wink.

Dual Shockers is the only source for this interview. No other publication took any interest in reproducing Hine's answer.

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
The following interview was not widely circulated, probably because it doesn't help fuel the Sony hate train, but Pete Hines dropped a clue at GamesCom:

We also asked Hines if he personally feels that full cross-play between all platform is ever going to happen, and he thinks that it will.

"I think so eventually. When we start talking about next-generation consoles and so forth, I think that would be one place where you would likely start to see a difference. Maybe if there are things now that are preventing anybody from doing it, maybe they'll be able to adjust those things when they're putting together the next platform."

Wink wink.

Dual Shockers is the only source for this interview. No other publication took any interest in reproducing Hine's answer.

Nice, thanks for that.

Erebus fits much better with Orbis and Morpheus than it does with anything MS have used previously. I would also expect a cloud Xbox 2 to have a name related to Scarlett, not something entirely unrelated. Erebus certainly sounds more like a Sony project title than any other platform-holder.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Here's an idea: they are pushing ps4 pro bundles like spider man and kingdom hearts 3 in January because they want to clear stock of Pro systems because,... put on tinfoil hat guys,... because if PS5 launches in 2019 then they will position PS4 as budget option and PS5 will replace Pro as the high sku.

Ps4 slim or super slim on 7nm in late 2019 that is $200 (or $250) and the ps5 for $399.99 November 2019, almost six years to the day that ps4 launched.

Ps5 plays all ps4 content and is sold initially as the premium place for ps4 content and doesn't have a whole lot of exclusives (but will have some at launch) but is sorta like a PS4 Pro Pro in late 2019 and early parts of 2020, before titles like horizon 2, GT7 and others hit ps5 in summer or fall 2020.

Again, i feel like 2020 is more likely for ps5 but i could see them doing this basic PS4 + PS5 (no PS4 Pro) for many reasons. Most of all, the ps5 (if BC) will eat into any market for the Pro if its close to it in price, a budget ps4 will sell better to consumers who aren't early adopters anyway and on a budget AND most of all they can use base PS4 visuals in marketing to make the leap to PS5 seem as big as possible

Yup.I mentioned exactly this few months ago.

MS is pushing XB1X bundles too. Maybe they just like selling more expensive consoles?

Might have found a new (?) code name in UE4, but no clue what it could be:

Erebus

(The god of darkness in Greek mythology)

There is also the abbreviation "TST2" used for this platform:

onlinesubsystemnames_m1f8y.png

Path: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\Online\OnlineSubsystem\Source\Public\OnlineSubsystemNames.h

And here the name is used side by side with PS4 and Xbox:

partybeaconstate_cpp75iys.png

Path: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.20\Engine\Plugins\Online\OnlineSubsystemUtils\Source\OnlineSubsystemUtils\Private\PartyBeaconState.cpp

Unfortunately, those are the only references I have found. Has someone heard this name before? Maybe it's just something boring, but who knows, lol.

EDIT: In the second pic, it also says "bPS4SeenOtherConsole", maybe that hints at it being a console?

Well done! I would think Epic makes sense as one of the first recipients of a dev kit given how important they are in the business now. Tons of smaller devs and Japanese devs are using UE4 now, and they're also a technical leader that can give useful feedback to Sony.

BTW, is this you?
https://gearnuke.com/new-erebus-platform-found-in-unreal-engine-4-could-be-the-playstation-5-rumor/

Last edited:

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess I misremembered but the 6970 was still somewhat competitive, as there was only 1 card better than it. I looked and it was generally between the 570 & the 580 so that's already a better position than Vega 64 is in versus the 1080 & the1080ti. Soon there will be 4 cards from Nvidia on the same node better than Vega 64. That's a big difference.

Yeah, the 6970 was pretty competitive, and AMD was explicitly targeting more mainstream price points. The biggest bummer was that despite being a decent DX11 card AMD decided not to develop any DX12 drivers. This meant any game that used the DX12 API even if it didn't require DX12 hardware would not run. I remember trying the ReCore demo and it tried to run on my integrated Intel GPU in my i7 4970K while ignoring my 6970. That was a bummer for a card that wasn't that old, but AMD was rolling full steam ahead on GCN architecture going forward.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
I believe erebus is the code name for the non-final PS5, PC equivalent. Isn't that what orbis was? The PC equivalent of what the PS4 was going to be, then Neo was the debug system?

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the cross-play issue, Sony might actually turn it around by announcing the PS5 (and by extension, PS4) will allow Playstation players to play against opponents on all other major gaming systems - somewhat disingenuous considering they are the main hold on cross-plat play, but also true, good PR and would end the issue at a stroke. I hope they do.
One always can hope that Sony is only holding back these things, because they wanted it to be a selling point in PS5. But as a pessimist I can't allow myself to take it for granted.

I do give myself the right to consider that a possibility; that Sony could just be holding back crossplay the same way they are with backwards compatibility, because it would have more impact on a new gen hardware than simply enabling it on the old hardware. Not a certainty, but a possibility.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
MS is pushing XB1X bundles too. Maybe they just like selling more expensive consoles?

Well done! I would think Epic makes sense as one of the first recipients of a dev kit given how important they are in the business now. Tons of smaller devs and Japanese devs are using UE4 now, and they're also a technical leader that can give useful feedback to Sony.

BTW, is this you?
https://gearnuke.com/new-erebus-platform-found-in-unreal-engine-4-could-be-the-playstation-5-rumor/
In regards to your reply to my post

I don't think XB1X bundles are the same thing. Ps4 pro was $399 with no games, this year has seen a ton of $399 with games.

In fact they are making more special editions, like MHW, GOW, Spider Man and KH3. Could just be bundles but i don't think the comparison you mention has anything to do with it or is similar because they aren't actually selling a more expensive console, they are adding more into the same $399 value.

They shifted from ps4 slim bundles in 2016 and most of 2017 to this year, in 2018, there have been only new pro bundles i think.

It would be the same with xb1x if suddenly there were games bundled with the X model but no bundles with the S model.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
In regards to your reply to my post

I don't think XB1X bundles are the same thing. Ps4 pro was $399 with no games, this year has seen a ton of $399 with games.

In fact they are making more special editions, like MHW, GOW, Spider Man and KH3. Could just be bundles but i don't think the comparison you mention has anything to do with it or is similar because they aren't actually selling a more expensive console, they are adding more into the same $399 value.

They shifted from ps4 slim bundles in 2016 and most of 2017 to this year, in 2018, there have been only new pro bundles i think.

It would be the same with xb1x if suddenly there were games bundled with the X model but no bundles with the S model.
There were a ton of XB1X bundles announced at Gamescom. They just announced another today.

Oct 27, 2017
There were a ton of XB1X bundles announced at Gamescom. They just announced another today.
Yes i know.

But they haven't stopped making xbox one s bundles and shifted to only xbox one x bundles.

Sony has stopped doing ps4 slim bundles this year for the most part and is only doing ps4 pro bundles.

While this may mean nothing, it is different enough to indicate that there is a chance they are pushing pro bundles because they want to move stock. Just an idea. Not saying its 100 percent right

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
godofwary8edu.jpg

I also checked the previous version of Unreal Engine (4.19.2), and there are no mentions of Erebus, so this seems to be new in 4.20.2.

But don't get too excited guys, nothing confirmed yet! Could still be a Chinese nvidia shield clone or something like that, lol.

I have bad memories from that damn part of the game, trying to beat it on Titan difficulty. Managed to do it, but it was definitely the hardest part of the platinum trophy.