• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
That's one of the benefits of packing more RAM, yeah, you can cache more of the game data and reduce loading times/frequency. Coupled with something like a local cache of NAND, games could load just once when you start a play session.
Plus HBCC should ease the load on RAM. AMD said games have up to 50% of their total allocation in some situations with data they don't need.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Gimme that Late 2020 $499, 32GB, 15TFlop, 12 core, true next gen, true leap forward PS5

I know we probably won't get that but i REALLY REALLY hope that there's actually a small chance we'll get PS5 with those specs in 2.5 years (Holiday 2020).

People buy new smartphones,gadgets every 2-3 years,so why not spend 499$ on something that will last you for 7 years and give you thousands of hours of fun.In my opinion that's a good investment.For me 499$ should be standard price for a console.

For 499$ and those spec we could see some astonishing neverseen before graphics,animations,physics,destruction.Imagine GTA 7 with destruction and real car damage/physics,hunderds of apartmens/stores/banks that you can break in etc.,urban maps in Battlefield 6 where almost everything can be demolished like in a real war,single player games where you have many ways to play a game and choose which path of storytelling you wanna take(good guy/bad guy) with AI that learn from your playstyle,huge open world zombie game(DAYZ concept)set in New York like The Division but with jawdropping realistic graphics,destruction,looting & hardcore playstyle with 200-300 players set across whole New York fighting to survive just like you,sim-racing games where physics feels so realistic that it actually feels like you're in that specific car(in VR and proper steering wheel)...and so on :))

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
should we lock this thread until late 2019/ early 2020 then?

No. Even with a 2020 launch some legitimate info could leak at any time.
But a new thread could just be created if relevant information comes around.

I just think there is a group of people that LOVE speculation, even if it's not based in reality. There are plenty of twitter personalities who's entire schtick is peddling rumors that are usually just made up garbage, but even when those claims are proven false I've actially seen their followers defend them or excuse this behavior because they enjoy mindless "speculation".

Jan 2, 2018
So..it seems we are talking 2020 so I'll stick to my prediction,now with more confidence I guess:
APU using 7nm process consists of:
CPU: Zen 2 variant clocked at around 2.8-3.0 ghz,similar in power to,say,Ryzen 3700 or whatever the CPU AMD will release in 2019 will be called. Will be a gigantic leap compare to what we have now.
GPU:I hate to use those TF numbers but I'll do it anyway: still sticking to a 12TF class GPU,thinking something like a Vega64 but more efficient. clocked at around 1.1 Ghz.

For the other components:
RAM: either 16gb or 32gb of GDDR6. probably on a 256bit bandwidth.
HDD: Yes,I still believe a 2020 console will still be using an HDD. probably 7200RPM and 2TB.
Optical Drive: UHD Blu-Ray is a given.
I/O: HDMI 2.1,USB 3.1,maybe type-c,latest BT standard,wireless chip using latest Wi-Fi standard.
Controller: nothing too substantial,maybe little ergonomics improvements,more advanced rumble features,better battery life (due to lack of touch pad which I don't think will make it to the DS5) and quick charge support.

And thats it,completely evolutionary,but substantial,upgrade over the PS4, Good chance of hitting 399$ for late 2020 release. But that's just my prediction,might be completely wrong on all of it lol.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know we probably won't get that but i REALLY REALLY hope that there's actually a small chance we'll get PS5 with those specs in 2.5 years (Holiday 2020).

People buy new smartphones,gadgets every 2-3 years,so why not spend 499$ on something that will last you for 7 years and give you thousands of hours of fun.In my opinion that's a good investment.For me 499$ should be standard price for a console.

For 499$ and those spec we could see some astonishing neverseen before graphics,animations,physics,destruction.Imagine GTA 7 with destruction and real car damage/physics,hunderds of apartmens/stores/banks that you can break in etc.,urban maps in Battlefield 6 where almost everything can be demolished like in a real war,single player games where you have many ways to play a game and choose which path of storytelling you wanna take(good guy/bad guy) with AI that learn from your playstyle,huge open world zombie game(DAYZ concept)set in New York like The Division but with jawdropping realistic graphics,destruction,looting & hardcore playstyle with 200-300 players set across whole New York fighting to survive just like you,sim-racing games where physics feels so realistic that it actually feels like you're in that specific car(in VR and proper steering wheel)...and so on :))

Wheeew, wouldn't want to be a developer in the universe you live in :D

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So..it seems we are talking 2020 so I'll stick to my prediction,now with more confidence I guess:
CPU: Zen 2 variant clocked at around 2.8-3.0 ghz,similar in power to,say,Ryzen 3700 or whatever the CPU AMD will release in 2019 will be called. Will be a gigantic leap compare to what we have now.
GPU:I hate to use those TF numbers but I'll do it anyway: still sticking to a 12TF class GPU,thinking something like a Vega64 but more efficient. clocked at around 1.1 Ghz.

HDD: Yes,I still believe a 2020 console will still be using an HDD. probably 7200RPM and 2TB.
I/O: HDMI 2.1,USB 3.1,maybe type-c,latest BT standard,wireless chip using latest Wi-Fi standard.
Controller: nothing too substantial,maybe little ergonomics improvements,more advanced rumble features,better battery life (due to lack of touch pad which I don't think will make it to the DS5) and quick charge support.

And thats it,completely evolutionary,but substantial,upgrade over the PS4, Good chance of hitting 399$ for late 2020 release. But that's just my prediction,might be completely wrong on all of it lol.

All of your expectations are reasonable. I'd say the least reasonable is the latest WiFi standard. We'll have 802.11ax by then, and I could see it being stuck with ac, which is unfortunate because ax focuses on range and congestion issues.

Facubsf

Apr 4, 2018
No. Put simply, we see and will continue ti see graphical upgrades every generation because most games that are Multiplatform use the lowest power console as a base for which a game is made and then scaled up from that.

Things such as lighting models, texture resolution, model and environmental gemoetry complexity, physics, AI routines and a lot more things are all built with the lowest power console in mind which is currently 1.31tf GPU, jaguar CPU and 6gb of DDR3 RAM. It doesn't matter which game it is, these are the base specs that MP developers use when making their games. This is why a game on Xbox One still has exactly the same graphical features (apart from resolution) as a PS4 game even though the PS4 is 40% more powerful in certain areas. Xbox One will still have the same graphical features, physics and model complexity as an Xbox One X game (besides maybe slightly better textures and better resolution). This is because games are not made with the Xb1X as a base. Even PC games are being held back quite a bit by the lowest power console, sure PC games have better resolution, better FPS, better AA, slightly better textures etc but PC usually doesn't see jumps in physics, lighting models, model and environmental complexity etc until the next generation arrives.

So next gen, say the lowest power console is 11tf GPU, 24GB RAM and Zen 8 Core GPU, we will see massive jumps in lighting models, texture resolution, more detailed scenes, better physics and AI routines. Because games are now being made for the lowest spec machine that has over 10x the power of the Xbox 1.

This is how I see it in very simple terms.

So no, the next gen will bring massive improvements and won't be like PC high settings because developers upgrade their engines with the new base specs in mind. PC will see massive improvements too.
Great answer! I'm afraid for the switch though

Number9

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

People check their smartphones every 15 minutes. A huge chunk of the market buys a PS4 to play one or two games per year and collect dust for weeks/months, they'll take the cheaper option if they can. Sometimes it's easier to forget that, although early adopters, we are the minority of the market.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
People check their smartphones every 15 minutes. A huge chunk of the market buys a PS4 to play one or two games per year and collect dust for weeks/months, they'll take the cheaper option if they can. Sometimes it's easier to forget that, although early adopters, we are the minority of the market.

Yeah but the money is made on software not hardware.

Who cares about selling to someone who only buys 2 games. We spend 1000s on games, please us first then Jimmy 2 games can buy in when the price comes down.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but the money is made on software not hardware.

Who cares about selling to someone who only buys 2 games. We spend 1000s on games, please us first then Jimmy 2 games can buy in when the price comes down.
That's not where the money is anymore. The money is now on subscription fees, at least for console makers. People might only buy two games, but if they play online then they could be paying for multiplayer every month. And in total they end up giving Sony more money than the hard core fanbase.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
That's not where the money is anymore. The money is now on subscription fees, at least for console makers. People might only buy two games, but if they play online then they could be paying for multiplayer every month. And in total they end up giving Sony more money than the hard core fanbase.

Agreed about subscriptions, though the hardcore are obviously paying those too.

Jan 2, 2018
All of your expectations are reasonable. I'd say the least reasonable is the latest WiFi standard. We'll have 802.11ax by then, and I could see it being stuck with ac, which is unfortunate because ax focuses on range and congestion issues.
I know that was what I was thinking as well. I guess It'll depend on how popular the .ax standard will be on devices coming late 2020.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I'm with you on almost everything in this prediction. I'd say 16GB or 24GB tops, 32GB is pretty much overkill for a mostly single-use game machine even at 4k. Type-C for the controllers, AC for Wifi (AX maybe in the revision/Pro model).
Biggest thing I think they'll add is either a Hybrid Drive, or dedicated system-controlled NAND storage for the purposes of speeding up game loads. Anywhere from 64GB-256GB, depending on whether it's used as cache or supplemental storage. Load times on current consoles are out of control, and these new machines should really, really address that. But the HDD ain't going anywhere if they want to push "true" 4k gaming.

Jan 2, 2018
Yeah, I'm with you on almost everything in this prediction. I'd say 16GB or 24GB tops, 32GB is pretty much overkill for a mostly single-use game machine even at 4k. Type-C for the controllers, AC for Wifi (AX maybe in the revision/Pro model).
Biggest thing I think they'll add is either a Hybrid Drive, or dedicated system-controlled NAND storage for the purposes of speeding up game loads. Anywhere from 64GB-256GB, depending on whether it's used as cache or supplemental storage. Load times on current consoles are out of control, and these new machines should really, really address that. But the HDD ain't going anywhere if they want to push "true" 4k gaming.
I thought 24gb was a likely option for a long time,but more educated people on the matter than me here said that this configuration would bring complexity that would make it difficult for Sony to cut down costs down the road,so that is why I excluded it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
And that's where sheer numbers come in. Since the hardcore pay the same amount for multiplayer as casual gamers, the fact that there are so much MORE casual players means the hardcore are not the financial majority.

Not sure how you'd define who's what. 1 game a year + PSN is casual? When you said 2 games earlier, I thought you meant in total, all gen.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how you'd define who's what. 1 game a year + PSN is casual? When you said 2 games earlier, I thought you meant in total, all gen.
It doesn't matter how many or how few games someone buy, if at least one game require PSN then they pay for the entirety of their days playing that game. Your assumption is that someone who buy fewer games would pay less PSN. I am arguing that the same person would keep paying PSN so they could keep playing the few games they actually bought. That since there is only one tier of PSN that you need to pay, everyone would pay the same to Sony for their subscription, no matter how many games they actually own.

And my argument is that Sony's massive increase in profits from PSN is not from hardcore ERA posters who own hundreds of games, but the millions of people who own few games but keep playing them.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Huh?!?

Load times this gen. seem to me like they're the best they've ever really been. Granted I'm playing on the PS4 and came from a PS3, which in games like Skyrim and MGS4 have been a pretty much low point in my entire history with games in terms of load times.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I know they have bad rep,but the report itself is very detailed and doesn't seem like 'tales from my ass' kind of report,but you are right,it is to be taken with a grain of salt.

This report is partially corroborated by AMD's own marketing materials. A few pages back is the video where Suzanne directly says they onboarded some Zen engineers to the graphics team. To guess that this will impact Navi seems unrealistic, but then again that roadmap showing Navi with a decent efficiency jump would have predated all of this anyway.

Edit: DF has a good summary up now

I'd say the major revelation is that Cerny has hit the road.

Last edited:

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This report is partially corroborated by AMD's own marketing materials. A few pages back is the video where Suzanne directly says they onboarded some Zen engineers to the graphics team. To guess that this will impact Navi seems unrealistic, but then again that roadmap showing Navi with a decent efficiency jump would have predated all of this anyway.

Edit: DF has a good summary up now

I'd say the major revelation is that Cerny has hit the road.

I'd also add that Richard teases that he has a lot more info but isn't willing to share it at the moment.

He thinks it should be possible to put in 8c16t zen.

He also comments that the resetera rumor is fake, but "not a bad guess, except ram and storage"

Ah thread on it https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...y-deliver-a-generational-leap-in-power.36324/

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'd also add that Richard teases that he has a lot more info but isn't willing to share it at the moment.

He thinks it should be possible to put in 8c16t zen.

He also comments that the resetera rumor is fake, but "not a bad guess, except ram and storage"

Ah thread on it https://www.resetera.com/threads/di...y-deliver-a-generational-leap-in-power.36324/
I agree with him. Based on scaling and known Zen measurements, 8C should fit in roughly same space as Jaguar 28nm when you shrink it to 7nm.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I agree with him. Based on scaling and known Zen measurements, 8C should fit in roughly same space as Jaguar 28nm when you shrink it to 7nm.

Slight correction... 8 Zen coes would occupy a similar (albeit smaller) footprint at 7nm as an 8c Jaguar at 28nm (i.e. the Liverpool CPU footprint).

Shrinking Jaguar to 7nm would be considerably smaller than possibly even a single Zen CCX.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Finally got around to digesting this: pretty cool method to manage power droop without sacrificing nominal clock speed or power profiles:

https://www.realworldtech.com/steamroller-clocking/

Second, this technique could be applied to AMD's discrete and integrated GPUs, although it is hard to say how big the benefits would be for GPUs. The target clock frequency for a GPU is 1GHz rather than 3GHz and the clock domains are bigger and contain more cores. On the other hand, since GPUs are so parallel dI/dt events may be much bigger (e.g., if all the shaders in a GPU simultaneously begin executing a floating point kernel). Even if the benefits are just half of what is possible in a CPU, a 5-10% decrease in power is significant for a 250W GPU.

Third, since adaptive clocking minimizes the impact of voltage droops AMD could remove package decoupling capacitors or package layers to reduce the cost of the overall platform.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is very clever tech. Would it really not affect rendering performance?

Kanter is an analyst with industry customers. He's going to be very thorough and cautious with his conclusions. I would bet this tech is making its way into GPUs for AMD and it does have a benefit. The benefits are too good to pass up. No one wants to be hampered by a corner case that represents a small fraction of real world usage.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Performance loss from the logic choking under voltage sag is probably much bigger than from a transitory downclock. I imagine that, with this tech, they can actually achieve higher baseline sustained clock, since they eliminate most of the overhead that would come from the safety overvolting.

Oct 27, 2017
ATL
I'm honestly starting to be more massively hyped for the leap in visuals that will take place with next-gen consoles.

Agnis Philosophy looks incredible and that was rendered on a GTX 680 back in 2012!

Epic's infiltrator demo was created in 2013.

Next generation games are gonna be mind blowing! Hopefully, the PS5/Xbox4 generation will be the first where company tech demos don't massively overshoot those consoles' capabilities.

II am wondering if games next-generation will indeed be dramatically more expensive than ones this generation? It seems that a lot of work has gone into improving production pipelines this generation. The architecture of next-gen consoles also won't be a dramatic change this go around.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I'm honestly starting to be more massively hyped for the leap in visuals that will take place with next-gen consoles.

Agnis Philosophy looks incredible and that was rendered on a GTX 680 back in 2012!

Yup, and the GTX 680 was released as a high-end card using the mid-sized Kepler GK104 GPU - 3.0 TFlops, and while much more powerful than base PS4 in 2013, will be dwarfed by next-gen consoles. The other components that allowed Agnis Philosophy to be developed and run were a beefy Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz and 32GB RAM. I don't think any Zen 8-core CPU will have trouble beating a 3.5 GHz 3770K

Now while I also know Square Enix showed Agni's Philosophy at PlayStation Meeting 2013 running on what they claimed was PS4 hardware, I don't remember any specifics being given other than the original demo and PC specs in 2012. so I take the 'running on PS4' with a grain of salt.

With that said, I don't see how PS5/Xbox Next won't be able to run huge games with the level of graphics, lighting and animation shown in the various tech demos at E3 2012.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
My mental benchmark for next gen is that recent Metro demo. I hope they can approach that level of lightning, even if the techniques are different.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Slight correction... 8 Zen coes would occupy a similar (albeit smaller) footprint at 7nm as an 8c Jaguar at 28nm (i.e. the Liverpool CPU footprint).

Shrinking Jaguar to 7nm would be considerably smaller than possibly even a single Zen CCX.
Without the L3$ one CCX (4 Zen Cores) occupies roughly as much die space with ~28mm² @14nm as one Jaguar Compute Unit (4 Cores) with ~26,2mm².
36mm² with 4MB L3$ like in Raven-Ridge.
If Global Foundries scaling estimate with 0,38 is applied, one CCX with 8MB L3$ would just take 16,7mm², with 4MB 13,7mm² and without any L3$ 10,7mm².
Of course not every logic block scales as good, some better than other but even half of the die size would put Zen1 @7nm under Jaguar @28nm.

Jaguar_CU.jpg

361b962b-b33f-4fee-89wep7w.png

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/1177/amds-zen-cpu-complex-cache-and-smu/

Kanter is an analyst with industry customers. He's going to be very thorough and cautious with his conclusions. I would bet this tech is making its way into GPUs for AMD and it does have a benefit. The benefits are too good to pass up. No one wants to be hampered by a corner case that represents a small fraction of real world usage.
It was already integrated into Carrizo's GCN Gen 3 iGPU and then Polaris/GCN Gen 4:
carrizo48sua.jpg

Page 8:
https://www.slideshare.net/AMD/isscc

In regards to Polaris one can read the whitepaper and technical presentation:
Polaris Whitepaper Page 13 said:
Adaptive Clocking

Another advantage of AVFS is that it naturally handles changes induced by the workload.

For example, when a complex effect such as an explosion or hair shader starts running, it will activate large portions of the GPU that suddenly draw power and cause the voltage to "droop" temporarily until the voltage regulators can respond.
Conceptually, these voltage droops in a GPU or processor are similar to brownouts in a power grid (e.g. caused by millions of customers turning on their lights when they get home from work around 6pm).

The power supply monitors detect the voltage droop in 1-2 cycles, and then a clock-stretching circuit temporarily decreases the frequency just enough so that all circuits will work safely during the droop.
The clock stretcher responds to voltage droops greater than 2.5% and can reduce the frequency by up to 20%.

These droops events are quite rare, and the average clock frequency decreases by less than 1%, with almost no impact on performance. However, the efficiency benefits are quite large.

The clock-stretching circuits enable increasing the frequency of Polaris GPUs by up to 140MHz.

Techday slides:
http://gaming.radeon.com/wp-content...ris-Tech-Day-Architecture-Final-6.24.2016.pdf

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Without the L3$ one CCX (4 Zen Cores) occupies roughly as much die space with ~28mm² @14nm as one Jaguar Compute Unit (4 Cores) with ~26,2mm².
36mm² with 4MB L3$ like in Raven-Ridge.
If Global Foundries scaling estimate with 0,38 is applied, one CCX with 8MB L3$ would just take 16,7mm², with 4MB 13,7mm² and without any L3$ 10,7mm².
Of course not every logic block scales as good, some better than other but even half of the die size would put Zen1 @7nm under Jaguar @28nm.

Jaguar_CU.jpg

361b962b-b33f-4fee-89wep7w.png

https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/1177/amds-zen-cpu-complex-cache-and-smu/

It was already integrated into Carrizo's GCN Gen 3 iGPU and then Polaris/GCN Gen 4:
carrizo48sua.jpg

Page 8:
https://www.slideshare.net/AMD/isscc

In regards to Polaris one can read the whitepaper and technical presentation:

Techday slides:
http://gaming.radeon.com/wp-content...ris-Tech-Day-Architecture-Final-6.24.2016.pdf

Nice roundup. Regarding the adaptive clocking, I've actually since seen someone say that it was incorporated and is actually being disabled in some cases. Maybe it's not working out as they hoped for GPUs.

Regarding die sizes, I think the key questions are cache amount and how much bigger Zen 2 is than a Zen core. AFAIK, we have no idea of the feature enhancements, so it's hard to guess how it might grow. I will be especially curious how they size the cache in comparison to the vanilla Zen 2 products.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Nice roundup. Regarding the adaptive clocking, I've actually since seen someone say that it was incorporated and is actually being disabled in some cases. Maybe it's not working out as they hoped for GPUs.
I didn't seen anything like that and at least for Polaris I wouldn't believe it but I roughly remember information around the Resonant Clock Mesh for Trinity/Richland which was integrated but actually not active.

Regarding die sizes, I think the key questions are cache amount and how much bigger Zen 2 is than a Zen core. AFAIK, we have no idea of the feature enhancements, so it's hard to guess how it might grow. I will be especially curious how they size the cache in comparison to the vanilla Zen 2 products.
That's true and if Sony/MS actually want to use Zen2.
For example if Zen2 doubles the FP/Cache data-path-width to 256-Bit for single cycle AVX throughput, the area cost per core will go up by quite a margin but do you want to spend that for consoles where the focus is on the system performance which primarly means the GPU?
Zen1 would be already a huge upgrade in every regard, so for area efficiency sake the console makers could just shrink Zen1 instead of using Zen2.
But it really depends on how Zen2 looks like and what AMD improved to be able to judge potential decision making.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Just so people aren't confused, Zen 2 is a distinct microarchitecture from Zen that will first debut in 7nm. Zen will never be in 7nm according to current known roadmaps. It's 16FF, then 12nm for Zen+.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Just so people aren't confused, Zen 2 is a distinct microarchitecture from Zen that will first debut in 7nm. Zen will never be in 7nm according to current known roadmaps. It's 16FF, then 12nm for Zen+.

Oh,i see.I am curious is there any substantial difference between Zen and Zen2 besides usual stuff like higher clocks,a bit better ipc and more power efficient?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Oh,i see.I am curious is there any substantial difference between Zen and Zen2 besides usual stuff like higher clocks,a bit better ipc and more power efficient?
We have no architecture specifics on Zen 2 at the moment, but those are all fair guesses.

Locuza's example of expansion to do single-cycle AVX is a very real possibility. AVX is one area where AMD is well behind Intel, and the importance of that is certainly debatable.

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
My Prediction:

PS5 announced at Sony's event mid 2020. Releases early/mid 2021. Nextbox shown in some form E3 2021. Out Xmas 2022.

Sony goes first because Pro isn't the same league as X1X. MS can drag out X1X for awhile and watch what Sony does to implement better stuff into Nextbox in late 2022.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
So correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I understand it seems that even next gen will be a bigger leap than ps3 was to ps4? Even with conservative/realistic assumptions? I mean as a whole package, I don't mean in terraflop terms

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Their seems to be more technologies and methods applicable to consoles for ps5 and Xboxnext than their were for ps4 and x1

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I understand it seems that even next gen will be a bigger leap than ps3 was to ps4? Even with conservative/realistic assumptions? I mean as a whole package, I don't mean in terraflop terms

The jump from PS4 to PS5 will be about the same as PS3 to PS4. The previous jumps were much larger because tech was advancing faster (and so were console power budgets).

Mostly relying on Jason's work and House's comments, but definitely makes the case from the business side. PS4 is doing very well right now. Why change things?

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
My Prediction:

PS5 announced at Sony's event mid 2020. Releases early/mid 2021. Nextbox shown in some form E3 2021. Out Xmas 2022.

Sony goes first because Pro isn't the same league as X1X. MS can drag out X1X for awhile and watch what Sony does to implement better stuff into Nextbox in late 2022.

2021 is way too late. 2020 is what I hear around rumor mill to be the latest for release of PS5, with late 2019 at the earliest. 2021 Would be too late.

The jump from PS4 to PS5 will be about the same as PS3 to PS4. The previous jumps were much larger because tech was advancing faster (and so were console power budgets).

Mostly relying on Jason's work and House's comments, but definitely makes the case from the business side. PS4 is doing very well right now. Why change things?

It doesn't change anything? If all the games are playable from PS4 with same settings and maybe a boost mode or settings from the PS4PRO all it does is add another tier.
Everyone wins. Imagine a PS4 for $150-199 as a regular price, PS4PRO at $250-299, and PS5 at $449-499.

Makes perfect sense. All games will work and all future games for the first couple years will be cross-gen until base PS4 is phased out production wise after 10 year cycle which would be 2023.

That is smart as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.