• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I was referring more to the specific claim about how the contents of a chip are largely irrelevant in a company's evaluation of its BOM for a console, rather than the idea that third-party BOM estimates are largely inaccurate or the idea that the size of a chip impacts yields.

I'm not sure we've had anyone banging that drum before, at least over the last 2-3 of these threads.
I mean, this is why die size is talked about, in regard to any chip.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
He's under NDA he's not going to talk about the xbox series x come on man lol. Albert's talking from a product management perspective on what a 399 console ( which sony likes) would cost. I'm sure he and the team extensively researched this from an economical perspective on how much the die space production node viability and heat thermal solutions would cost in order to get to that sweet spot 399 without either a loss or smaller loss. They concluded in their research that 8-9 tf would be it from a heat perspective without having a more expensive thermal solution.
This is why I asked his perspective as an outsider.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
And Tom I hope it's OK to ask you don't report on things I say here. If I make the *news* then I stop posting. I'm trying to be a helpful commenter in this forum not an insider generating more heat on this console war. Appreciate that if you could :)
For sure, I'm not the type of reporter to just pick up people's forum posts and run with them :) Prefer to have these types of discussions.

aeroslash

Feb 7, 2018
It's so awesome to have people like Albert writing in this forum!
Makes the speculation thread much more interesting!

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was a long time ago, so pulling from memory.

Nothing official in terms of knowing what they were doing of course but I do remember that we knew they were going to have more TFLOPS, and they were using GDDR5 vs DDR3.

However (and I've posted this before so it's well known) we were planning to have more system memory, and there was a debate about ESRAM (and the success that EDRAM saw on 360) and how much real-world difference there would be.

I think the only surprise was them going to 8gb.

Albert,

Thanks for dropping in.

I can't quite remember if you've covered this before but in the early stages what comes first:

1. Target Pricing
2. Expected Tech Available Upon Launch

Also, how does this change over time? When a target price is set is the goal to maximize performance and BOM versus that price? Or can the pricing change as available technology visibility improves?

My sense is you start with a target price and BOM and work backwards from launch to figure out what is possible and go from there.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For sure, I'm not the type of reporter to just pick up people's forum posts and run with them :) Prefer to have these types of discussions.

tenor.gif

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I played most of those on PC.

Now that you mention it I did forget about GT. So that's 2 games.

Your talking about PS now right ?
Like i said not everyone wants to play games years later and with crap setting compare to there hardware .
Plus you don't even know when Sony going to put them up and that only start happening recently .

I think they're talking about PS Now streaming.

I was telling my self that but there is huge difference from buying a game day one that uses your hardware .
To waiting years later not know when sony going to put there games on Now to play at streaming settings.

TraumaRN

Dec 29, 2019
PS5 gpu cannot be a 9.2TF gpu under the reasons shown in the github leak.
It might be 7TF, 8TF, 12TF, or even 9.2TF, but not 36CUs @2000Mhz.
Honestly, people should consider forgeting about that number, because there is no way in this world, and there is no breakthrough in thermals and efficiency that would allow 2Ghz navi cores to even exist inside of an APU that should be used for at least 8 years.
I don't get why highly educated people (in hardware terms) such as Richard Leadbetter couldn't dismiss the 2000Mhz idea right away.

th

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing specifically, and it's also hard to say given that I don't know what's happening internally and what information they have from partners or other external factors. Which is to say - I don't have the details they have to judge why they are doing things a certain way.

The only thing that strikes me as different from previous Xbox launches is the way they are dolling out small bits of information over a period of time, and starting much earlier. It's different and would not have been the expected way of doing it, but it seems to be working really well. So that's been an interesting takeaway for me vs. doing a huge unveil event and be able to go deeper on questions.

Otherwise I'll have to armchair quarterback what they do just like everyone else.

And Tom I hope it's OK to ask you don't report on things I say here. If I make the *news* then I stop posting. I'm trying to be a helpful commenter in this forum not an insider generating more heat on this console war. Appreciate that if you could :)

Thanks for the interesting insights on our gaming hobby :) One observation that I would make is that you could argue that Sony has also taken a somewhat different approach this time by doing the two Wired articles out of nowhere much earlier than expected, and maybe even some of the Xbox moves have been because the playing field was evolving on the fly or something too :)

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Your talking about PS now right ?
Like i said not everyone wants to play games years later and with crap setting compare to there hardware .
Sure. There's some sacrifices that "not everyone" would want to accept. Never disagreed with that.

But I do know with stadia and xcloud as competition, PSnow will get better going forward.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Since Xbox has moved beyond just the console box, your comment doesn't make much sense anymore. Xbox first party titles now are - and will be - almost all cross platform (console + pc). So for a member of the team to mention he prefers PC over the console isn't strange at all. It would have been... 5 years ago.

His comments will be read by others. And no matter how you slice it, purchases on Xbox probably make more money on average for MS than on PC. Also, Microsoft would make much more money if you play 3rd party games - the bulk of the library - on console.

I find it strange that you don't know this.

Microsoft will be happy to capture revenue from you when you buy their games on Steam, but they get ZERO when you buy Assasins Creed on Steam vs when you buy it on Xbox Series X.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I was telling my self that but there is huge difference from buying a game day one that uses your hardware .
To waiting years later not know when sony going to put there games on Now to play at streaming settings.
Well, based on them being outwardly vague with their responses I would assume there was a certain troll element.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
Sure. There's some sacrifices that "not everyone" would want to accept. Never disagreed with that.

But I do know with stadia and xcloud as competition, PSnow will get better going forward.
You're being completely disingenuous about the comparison made earlier. You streamed PS4 games at 720p on PC. Those games did not release PC versions.

When I say "I'll play it on PC" I'm literally talking about the PC version of a title, that I can alter to run at whatever resolution, framerate, etc. that my hardware can run.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Sony already said there games won't be there on day 1 on PS now .
Maybe it will change later but as for right now PS5 is the only place to play Sony big IPs day 1 .

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Lots went wrong with that launch, but I like to take the long view and remember OG Xbox and Xbox 360 which went pretty well, as did Scorpio. So X1 is still the anomaly for Xbox console launch failures.

It would be like saying Sony botches launches just because of the PS3. Sure, one bad one but it largely recovered, and still had 3 huge successes.

Very evident that the team at the helm at the time had a massively different vision for the home console. Seemed like they wanted MSN TV 2.0 and pushed that agenda hard, which clearly did not work. I am glad to see MS change course and right the ship, and the renewed focus on XaaS seems like it will pay off in spades. A healthy Xbox and PS are vital for this industry to continue to grow... very glad how things have wound up since that boondoggle of a launch.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
You're being completely disingenuous about the comparison made earlier. You streamed PS4 games at 720p on PC. Those games did not release PC versions.

When I say "I'll play it on PC" I'm literally talking about the PC version of a title, that I can alter to run at whatever resolution, framerate, etc. that my hardware can run.
The games are playable on PC. That's all I said.

If your a person that owns a PC you will be able to play the majority of PS5 games on PC. Most will have an official PC release. The ones that don't, will come to PSNow, which as a service will only get better going forward. There's nothing disingenuous about that.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Very interesting stuff. I was reading that this didn't work for Terminator: Dark Fate as it was predicted to do much better in the box office. What's your prediction for PS5? ;)

Everyone is trying to do the same thing, but that would have likely come from a different company lol

And it would be incredibly difficult to build a model for a new console sale since the last generation was so long ago and things have changed, whereas movies are constantly coming out.. so you can look at past movie releases and add all of the data to the model and make a better guess. I'm sure MS/Sony are working on such models though lol

My main point was that while advertisers are super focused on bot traffic, companies are still spending big bucks on using this type of data because it is useful and can be used as a predictor. I doubt Sony or MS are using bots; advertising agencies are paying out to thousands and thousands of companies many of them scamming, but while it's not out of the realm of possibility a big player could do it, it's unlikely IMO. The poster who brought up concerns with bots is coming from the perspective of working for an ad agency, so makes total sense they'd lean towards assuming it's unreliable data, but that's more a problem with smaller companies trying to make a splash .

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The games are playable on PC. That's all I said.

If your a person that owns a PC you will be able to play the majority of PS5 games on PC. Most will have an official PC release. The ones that don't, will come to PSNow, which as a service will only get better going forward. There's nothing disingenuous about that.
The part you were being disingenuous about was Sony's IPs coming to PC. Streaming PS4 games via PS Now is not a PC version of said titles.

When an MS studio game is released on PC, its a PC version, not the Xbox version being streamed.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
The part you were being disingenuous about was Sony's IPs coming to PC. Streaming PS4 games via PS Now is not a PC version of said titles.

When an MS studio game is released on PC, its a PC version, not the Xbox version being streamed.
You are playing semantics here.

You're the one being disingenuous. Not me

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Trolling over a series of posts. Antagonizing other members. History of similar behavior.
Exactly; and it's called trolling/baiting.

If you have something to say, say it. "I mean on PS Now" could have avoided about a dozen pointless posts but your goal was to troll, obviously.
The hell? Lol

Maybe y'all just sensitive about your plastic box.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
You are playing semantics here.

You're the one being disingenuous. Not me
When you respond to something about games on specific platforms, the discussion is about those versions. Has nothing to do with console wars. It has to do with actual facts of what a PC version of a title is, versus a PS4 or Xbox version of the same title is. Anyway, I'm done with your trolling / thread derailment. Ignored.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This may be a silly question but can the even the less powerful of the two pull off this level of visual complexity with commensurate texture detail and lighting precision in-engine real time?

Yes, the opening level of KZSF comes close thanks to a lot smoke and mirrors (par for every real time rendering project) but that segment of Coruscant looks to be on a different level (iirc, that portion was not running real time).

What is this? Looks dope

this was rendered on a 680. new consoles will blow this out of the water

GTX 680 was a 3 TFlop card. Way beyond Xbox One and PS4, but yeah, the new consoles will blow this out of the water.

Even Lockhart will surpass Star Wars 1313 at 1080p/1440p.

Dimajjio

Oct 13, 2019
This is an interesting situation. If Sony details the PS5 hardware next month, they will have debuted AMD's new GPU technology before AMD. It makes me question if we'll get any type of detailed specifications next month (if anything is actually happening next month)? Like, are Sony going to go in-depth on CU count, optimizations, and the specific implementation of hardware Raytracing before AMD debuts RDNA2?

Perhaps AMD will unveil their next stuff at Computex at the beginning of June which means both console platforms will have to wait until E3 before they announce what's inside their boxes.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
When you respond to something about games on specific platforms, the discussion is about those versions. Has nothing to do with console wars. It has to do with actual facts of what a PC version of a title is, versus a PS4 or Xbox version of the same title is. Anyway, I'm over the trolling.
Lol? I trolled and derailed the thread, but posting a tweet of someone saying "I'll just play it on PC" in a "Hardware speculation" thread was not the detail?

Being able to play a game via PSnow on PC is just as viable as any other way of playing a game.

Your problem is wanting to defend that long time "I'll just play it on pc" fanboy argument.

That's not my fault.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
His comments will be read by others. And no matter how you slice it, purchases on Xbox probably make more money on average for MS than on PC. Also, Microsoft would make much more money if you play 3rd party games - the bulk of the library - on console.

I find it strange that you don't know this.

Microsoft will be happy to capture revenue from you when you buy their games on Steam, but they get ZERO when you buy Assasins Creed on Steam vs when you buy it on Xbox Series X.

We don't have the whole picture. Will they make more money by losing some console sales (and all that come with it), and getting the whole PC market as new potential customers, or to keep going with console exclusives like Sony does ?
Honesly, I'm pretty sure they are (and will) earn more money with their strategy than if they were keeping to the same strategy as Sony. We mustn't forget that this gen, even with a "console only strategy" at the beginning, it didn't went so well. They just are not Sony, and for now at least, I'm pretty sure that most people would go the PS5 route even if Xbox games weren't on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.