• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2017
Xbox has precisely 15 studios - which ones in particular have over 3 teams? Games being exclusive to new console hardware that is a clear generational separation from the previous one has never been remotely anti-consumer and it never will.
Ninja theory has 4 teams ,rare has 3 teams, obsidian has multiple , inxile has multiple. Etc this is why a lot of there games will be crossgen the first year or so, shouldn't just can projects like everwild to satisfy gamers weird infatuation with exclusivity when there API advances allow it.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
IZMoF0.gif

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
343i has enough people to make 2 completely different Halo Infinite's for One and Series X

The defense force behind this is laughable at best.

I get it. There are a bunch of people who don't think it's a big deal. But trying to play down concerns with:
- But PC
- But 360/XB1
- But did you see Hellblade
- 2 ports/versions of games

Is not going to convince anyone who thinks that the Jaguar CPU and slow ram/hdd speeds are going to get in the way of evolved next gen experiences.
If we can't agree that it's a legitimate concern (I believe it is), then I'm sure we can at least agree that Microsoft's messaging on the subject - has room for improvement...

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle

That sounds like nonsense to me. I'd buy deep customization based on solid insights and optimization for Sony's needs, but this is clearly meaningless speculation. It's not two instructions per cycle, but two floating point operations per instruction. The use of floating point multiply + accumulate as a single instruction has very deep architectural roots for reasons that are relatively immutable (the silicon required to implement multiply is physically distinct from the silicon that implements addition.)

Sound like bullshit? Patents can be filled about anything.Can smart people from this thread confirm if this is even possible?

The PS4 Pro already implements this kind of packed math for FP16. It's not really anything new, and it's a common enough form of added parallelism that's already being exploited in modern GPU designs.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
Really hope that Medieval game is real, next-gen Medieval R* game would be ridiculous. Seeing massive castles and fortresses in the distance, while you're riding your horse and each piece of your knightly armor clinks and clanks individually.

21-city-walls-concept-art.jpg
If it has dragons and you can ride and not just fight against I'm in.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Now IF early exclusives actually were games that simply could not be done on the last gen that would be something; but I honestly am having trouble thinking of any.. and the games brought up don't seem to have any actual elements that couldn't be done, other than their graphics. And that's how cross gen works.. same game, different graphics.

I hate to break it to you, but many games are made and built around what you can graphically input on the screen without killing the quality of the image or the smoothness of the movement. Neither of those things would be possible to maintain for a game like Resogun prior to PS4. Every single piece from the number of voxels on screen to the smooth frame rate, it's designed to take advantage of PS4 hardware in a way to make the entire idea shine on screen. It's a masterpiece of game design and you fling it away because they could have made a much, mich lesser version of it in 360

Here's the original rumor thread of the Witcher 3 coming to the Nintendo Switch

Some excerpts

I mean, it does run like crap and it plays at 540p... why are people using this as the example of what they want to see happen for base consoles during next gen transition? These consoles aren't played on a handheld device. They're on HD televisions.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I think the thing that many people here forget is that the developers and publishers are not forced to make games to the old xboxes and ps4s. I mean MS can try and do that to their own first party but I dont think pubs will allow it for their own third party

Third party will do it anyway so as to not miss out on sales. People want Xbox to provide the next generation only games. Some people seem split on the idea of whether it's good or not. I disagree completely, but that's just me. Just put the box out in 2021 then.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
then I'm sure we can at least agree that Microsoft's messaging on the subject - has room for improvement...

Nothing wrong with their messaging.
Well before the games release, we'll see tons of detail at E3.

Nothing they'd say Now would change minds anyway. they've already said halo infinite would take advantage of the Series X hardware as a Launch showcase...and people didn't change their minds.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing wrong with their messaging.
Well before the games release, we'll see tons of detail at E3.

Nothing they'd say Now would change minds anyway. they've already said halo infinite would take advantage of the Series X hardware as a Launch showcase...and people didn't change their minds.

Fair enough. Not much I can say except that I disagree.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Fair enough. Not much I can say except that I disagree.
Keep the messaging in context. Matt Booty did that interview in November, a full year before XSX launches. They have 12 months worth of XBO consoles to sell between then and XSX. Why cannibalise your current platform this early by announcing that your future games won't be coming to it? We're still in January, there's so much time between now and launch to move towards a greater focus on XSX, and those ground up next gen exclusives that obviously do exist and will be launching beyond that first year launch window.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Keep the messaging in context. Matt Booty did that interview in November, a full year before XSX launches. They have 12 months worth of XBO consoles to sell between then and XSX. Why cannibalise your current platform this early by announcing that your future games won't be coming to it? We're still in January, there's so much time between now and launch to move towards a greater focus on XSX, and those ground up next gen exclusives that obviously do exist and will be launching beyond that first year launch window.
I don't get this "cannibalise" ideology. Unless we see a global bounce of Xbox One sales that counteracts the "end-of-generation" lull, then it's useless. Console sales are trending down, as they have historically,

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
'this is probably the dull, less sensationalist reality.
It's a bit more complex then that.
Launch showcases typically target single hw because they pick 'a' nexgen aspect to highlight (eg. abuse of SSR and PBS in Killzone SF) and the timeline is way too compressed to hope for much else(and even so some ship on disc broken or incomplete, eg. Ryse and Forza), not because it would not be good economy to ship multiplatform skus.

And games that started dev way earlier than that(and are basically NG up-ports) aren't going to be tech showcases, but general fidelity increase(resolution, framerate, etc) is usually sufficient selling point for early adopters.
Debates will rage regardless of course.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Launch showcases typically target single hw because they pick 'a' nexgen aspect to highlight (eg. abuse of SSR and PBS in Killzone SF) and the timeline is way too compressed to hope for much else(and even so some ship on disc broken or incomplete, eg. Ryse and Forza), not because it would not be good economy to ship multiplatform skus.

And games that started dev way earlier than that(and are basically NG up-ports) aren't going to be tech showcases, but general fidelity increase(resolution, framerate, etc) is usually sufficient selling point for early adopters.
This is a good explanation.

Oct 25, 2017
I hate to break it to you, but many games are made and built around what you can graphically input on the screen without killing the quality of the image or the smoothness of the movement. Neither of those things would be possible to maintain for a game like Resogun prior to PS4. Every single piece from the number of voxels on screen to the smooth frame rate, it's designed to take advantage of PS4 hardware in a way to make the entire idea shine on screen. It's a masterpiece of game design and you fling it away because they could have made a much, mich lesser version of it in 360
They released ports of Resogun on PS3 and Vita. They were 30fps, but they played well.

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope that Medieval game is real, next-gen Medieval R* game would be ridiculous. Seeing massive castles and fortresses in the distance, while you're riding your horse and each piece of your knightly armor clinks and clanks individually.

21-city-walls-concept-art.jpg

R* world building in a medieval setting is the stuff of dreams. I probably won't like the way it controls, but I'll spend hours exploring and observing.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Any body that think Sony first party won't take full advantage of there hardware even at launch is kidding there self.
Sony first party most likely had a idea of specs and dev kits before anyone else and help make the systems and tools .
It will be years since some of these devs have made games and started using early devs kit which would have SSD and better CPU \GPU.
We already hear that it is even easier to work with PS5 that ever before meaning devs hit the floor running .

Really looking forward to the PS meeting to see what GG , SSM ,BP , IG up to .

Who are you even talking to? Who said first party wasn't taking advantage of the hardware? You guys get wound up over nothing. I see the new console war battle line narrative now. "Next gen only" games. A way to discredit any games that aren't strictly next gen as somehow subpar.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Who are you even talking to? Who said first party wasn't taking advantage of the hardware? You guys get wound up over nothing. I see the new console war battle line narrative now. "Next gen only" games. A way to discredit any games that aren't strictly next gen as somehow subpar.

You see in this thread .
People saying they won't be able to take advantage because there launch games or some other nonsense.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It would be amazing if Sony actually pulled out one or two full-blown AAA PS5 exclusives for launch that had had 3+ years of development. It would, as you point out, normally be impossible, but imagine if they took advantage of the relative hardware continuity and started dev in 2017 on upclocked PS4 Pro devkits with SATA SSDs. Normally I wouldn't even consider the concept, but they have had a rather long drought. The last big AAA game they announced was in late 2017, meaning it began dev a fair bit earlier than that. So unless they just sort of stopped for a while, doesn't that mean the holiday 2020 launch will see PS5 games that had about 3 years?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
It would be amazing if Sony actually pulled out one or two full-blown AAA PS5 exclusives for launch that had had 3+ years of development. It would, as you point out, normally be impossible, but imagine if they took advantage of the relative hardware continuity and started dev in 2017 on upclocked PS4 Pro devkits with SATA SSDs. Normally I wouldn't even consider the concept, but they have had a rather long drought. The last big AAA game they announced was in late 2017, meaning it began dev a fair bit earlier than that. So unless they just sort of stopped for a while, doesn't that mean the holiday 2020 launch will see PS5 games that had about 3 years?
Most of Sony's teams are on PS5 now, outside of the already announced PS4 titles the teams are working on PS5 kits for sure. And for most of them, they haven't released a game for 2-3 years.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

So i guess they will try to make a game or show aspects of the SSD in games since it such a big jump .
Plus they would have them in dev kits for a while.

He was tweeting about how by the end of the 2020's, he predicts there won't be any console companies making exclusive games.

I don't even know why people got angry at that comment since it easy to see that is what going to happen .
Still Instead of console exclusive you will just get service exclusive .
Things will change but the war will go on in a different way lol.

Aug 26, 2019
Frozen Wilds released in September 2017, so GG would have had over 3 years to work on Horizon 2. Perhaps even more if they started after the main game released (February 2017). And they already get the advancements that Kojima made to the engine, so that might cut development time.

Insomniac NC possibly started work on a Ratchet and Clank sequel sometime between R&C releasing (March 2016) and Spider-Man releasing (September 2018). So they may have had ~3 years of development time.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Most of Sony's teams are on PS5 now, outside of the already announced PS4 titles the teams are working on PS5 kits for sure. And for most of them, they haven't released a game for 2-3 years.
I know that Shadow of the Colossus came out in 2018 but i can not wait to see what bluepoint has done on this hardware even if its a demon soul's remake i think they will blow some minds

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I wild like all games downported to Nintendo GameCube so I never have to upgrade from 2001. Please and thank you.

Gamers wouldn't be able to handle this.

Frozen Wilds released in September 2017, so GG would have had over 3 years to work on Horizon 2. Perhaps even more if they started after the main game released (February 2017). And they already get the advancements that Kojima made to the engine, so that might cut development time.

You're both right, though this might just reflect longer dev times to get to the same quality of launch game. I hope not, though - finding out that this big gap in Sony's announcement schedule was all leading to a record-breaking AAA launch lineup would be great.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
You're both right, though this might just reflect longer dev times to get to the same quality of launch game. I hope not, though - finding out that this big gap in Sony's announcement schedule was all leading to a record-breaking AAA launch lineup would be great.
It's looking likely that Uncharted Team's game may target 2, hopefully a tease at PSMeeting/E3.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Well there team almost double in size so it could finish faster thanks to that .
Still i expect it to be 2021 game .

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I've been hearing people stating that Ps5 ssd is faster than series X. Has this been officially confirmed. Or just tales from their ass.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
Gamers wouldn't be able to handle this.

It's great customer service. Think of all those people who can't even afford $99 consoles. They can get a GameCube for what $20 on eBay? Then you sell the cartridge at GameStop or GAME or whatever it is where you are. And you, the XSX owner, still get your games, while I the Nintendo player get to play them too. Win win.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I think the new x3 layer drives will be around 30$ and I doubt they will go down in price over the years considering MS and Sony will be basically the only customers who buys them.
Between them, Sony and Microsoft's consoles will sell half as much as the entire existing standard Blu-ray market. I'm not sure that's insignificant...but I don't have any expertise in component pricing, so you could be correct.

Rise of the Tomb raider
Forza Horizon 2.

Cross gen games with excellent visuals.
ROTR doesn't match with Ryse or AC Unity or Metro Redux, though. And its own successor that was not crossgen looked superior. FH2 was a better match for Forza 5, but it was also at half the framerate. It too is also put to shame by its nextgen-exclusive followups. Titanfall ran at 792p and with an extremely uneven framerate, was also graphically outclassed by the games I already mentioned, and likewise by its nextgen sequel.

Note also that you had to specify a small number of individual games that were notable for their graphical prowess. That alone is an argument that crossgen holds back visuals, or else you could simply point to any crossgen game at all and it'd be basically on par with any nextgen exclusive.

We can't say they couldn't take infamous, cut down the geometry, remove post process effects like motion blur and SSR, claw back the draw distance, remove some objects like random trees, and massively cut down texture resolution to make it fit on the PS3.
Most people including me were saying the launch games didnt do anything special if you take resolution, graphics, framerate out of consideration.../
But you would only take those out of consideration if you were trying to redefine your way to winning an argument. "Just" lowered geometry, missing effects, less on screen, and less detail everywhere results in a completely different game. Graphical changes alone are enough to say this, with rising justification as the number of changes goes up. It's simply perverse to treat these alterations as superfluous, when all evidence shows that audiences respond directly to them.

People may buy new-gen games solely out of desire for better graphics--that's why they say they do in polls, for example. And it's what we saw at the last gen launch, when 360 versions of software rapidly declined in volume in favor of Xbox One versions, at a pace greatly faster than the increase in new hardware installed base versus the old gen. Yes, crossgen games look better in their nextgen versions...but they also don't have the graphical chops of exclusive titles. That's how eye candy drove Shadow Fall to sell millions and millions of copies, despite being a pretty mediocre game. (More tangential support for my argument is provided by the fact that devs often reach so hard for graphical excellence that performance suffers--Crytek made a whole career of this on console.)

Status
Not open for further replies.