• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
40CU @ 2+GHz is a $499 box. Charging that much for a sub-12TF console would be laughable.

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
I posted this in the old topic:

My new PS5 prediction:

Launch Q4 2020 - Full PS4 BC - PS4 games enhanced for PS5 launch: TLOU 2, Death Stranding, Horizon 2, Gran Turismo 7 etc
Games will support Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos
AMD APU 7nm Ryzen 8 core (16 threads) + custom GPU 12-14 TF
RAM 24GB GDDR6 (I would say 32 but it seems to much at this moment)
UHD Blu Ray (triple-layer 100GB)
DualShock 5 with Bluetooth 5.0 and a new design.
The logo of the console same as the PS2
2TB SSHD

399$ - 349£ - 399€

I voted here for 2019 but I changed my mind, late 2020 it is :)
I like my prediction from 2018, but that price is a big NO

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure it is logical that the dev kit could be 36/40 but retail would be 40/40? That V kit is almost certainly bigger than the retail kit too.
It'll be the greatest and most expensive trick in the history of hardware warfare.
You guys are stuck at the 5700 or 5700XT. We can see Ariel was at this level a long time ago. There isn't any good authority that says PS5 is stuck with maximum 40 CU. Bigger Navi is already out. Hitting 40 CU won't be an issue if Arden hits 56, with at least 8 redundancy. Sony can also ask for N7P process without having to re-mask. There can be real eff gains on-year at the same node. 2 GHz won't be a pipe dream, it's in the damn dev kits.
And considering cost, there may have been cost-sharing pricing for Sony considering that we are looking at 5700 units for early testing that may have been repurposed for consumer use.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You guys are stuck at the 5700 or 5700XT. We can see Ariel was at this level a long time ago. There isn't any good authority that says PS5 is stuck with maximum 40 CU. Bigger Navi is already out. Hitting 40 CU won't be an issue if Arden hits 56, with at least 8 redundancy. Sony can also ask for N7P process without having to re-mask. There can be real eff gains on-year at the same node. 2 GHz won't be a pipe dream, it's in the damn dev kits.
And considering cost, there may have been cost-sharing pricing for Sony considering that we are looking at 5700 units for early testing that may have been repurposed for consumer use.
I believe those devkits were for the devs to have a base target. The 5700 were probably the best at the point in time to max out. And work up from there. I may be wrong tho. But that old info should be in the back of our minds by now imho

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Two facts I think many people don't understand but should:

* No next-gen console is going to aim for 299, period. Even less so this year with SSD and RAM costs driving price up. #in_before_wiiu #wiiuisnotng

* PS5 is not going to launch at 399. The beast is super expensive and likely will cost Sony more than 500 to make. Everything points to 499

Regarding prices, these are my predictions:

LOK targeting 399
PS5 targeting 499
SEX targeting 599

SEX price could be changed to 499 by MS if they are willing to take that loss. Depends how much more expensive SEX is than PS5. <-- I'm unsure of SEX BOM* and how much of a loss MS would take selling it at 499.

PS5 won't go lower than 499 even if SEX comes @ 499. They don't need to, having a better brand.

LOK will be priced below PS5, yet it is a quite expensive box. MS will be taking a significant loss at $399. There is no way it will be priced lower unless PS5 goes down to 399, which is unthinkable, so LOK is a lock for 399.

* SEX BOM, SEX BOM, You're a sex bomb.

AegonSnake thanks for the reply earlier.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i am pretty certain sony will reveal something at CES. After wired articles, CES seems like the most mainstream place you can reveal your console.

maybe it will just be the console with a tech demo. or maybe some specs. its a better avenue to trod out cerny than say e3 or a feb meeting which should just focus on games.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Ariel and Oberon have 36CUs activated, so 4 must be disabled. There are also references of Navi 10 in the Github, which is the 40CUs 5700. I thought it was obvious by now ?
Right, so makes zero sense that the retail console would then be 40CUs.
DrKeo made a great post earlier today: he found out in that Github data,among other things, that Ariel is definitely only 36 CU design,it's not clear for Oberon.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Either Sony made state of the art machine or it is 8TF-9TFs at $399.

Maybe, but it could also be that Sony/AMD, after the Gonzalo leaks of January/April, plugged the holes and everything since has been old stuff?

We could then end up with a chip that hasn't been seen yet with higher CUs/lower clocks similar to XSX?

That seems more logical to me than a very high clock/no redundancy/36 40CU chip for the retail console. It will likely mean my hope of $399/£349 is over, though.

DrKeo made a great post earlier today: he found out in that Github data,among other things, that Ariel is definitely only 36 CU design,it's not clear for Oberon.

Granted, but there is the question of how old the info might be. Also Matt's comment and most insiders suggesting PS5 being a tiny bit more powerful than XSX etc.

*shrugs* #nonearertoanswers

Last edited:

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The GitHub info is not contradictory. It has two errors.

1. Config typo error where Arden data is pulled into Oberon results.
2. Sparkman and Arden templates, which only contain theoretical values, are the same.

Everything else adds up from what I've read.
I didn't say Github contradicted itself, I said there's a lot of contradictory info floating around (consoles equal in power or PS5 slightly stronger etc). There are multiple possibilities for the Github info being misleading however, such as the CU count not being limited to 36/40 or Ariel/Oberon not being the final PS5 GPU. I don't doubt the Github info, just some of the conclusions drawn from it. But like I said, I'm just gonna wait for the official reveal at this point.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but it could also be that Sony/AMD, after the Gonzalo leaks of January/April, plugged the holes and everything since has been old stuff?

We could then end up with a chip that hasn't been seen yet with higher CUs/lower clocks similar to XSX?

That seems more logical to me than a very high clock/no redundancy/36CU chip for the retail console. It will likely mean my hope of $399/£349 is over, though.

Granted, but there is the question of how old the info might be. Also Matt's comment and most insiders suggesting PS5 being a tiny bit more powerful than XSX etc.

*shrugs* #nonearertoanswers
There is no such thing as a NAVI no redundancy 36 CU chip.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i did the math earlier. if we assume 10% efficiency gains, and 1.7 ghz being the sweet spot for 5700xt in 2019, then they are already at 1.87 ghz (gonzalo clocks). add 7% for n7p improvements for launch and we can hit oberon 2.0 ghz clocks and even go higher to 2.1 ghz and still stay in the sweet spot for a 100-110w 36 cu gpu or a 150-160 w console.

ysplb2a3f6b31.jpg

the real question here is why would sony target ps4 and pro tdp numbers when they have a $499 budget this time around. would they really go ahead and make another $381 bom console?

Aug 26, 2019
The Reddit leak from Jan that had all the correct specs for Scarlett had $250 for Lockhart, $399 for PS5, $499 for Scarlett.

MS certainly was thinking of prices like that in late 2018.

Albert Penello thinks the Ps4 would be $399, and he knows what price target MS has in mind for Xsx.
$250 is a phenomenal price for Lockhart. That would be very generous of MS considering it will still have a Zen 2 CPU, SSD, etc.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
i did the math earlier. if we assume 10% efficiency gains, and 1.7 ghz being the sweet spot for 5700xt in 2019, then they are already at 1.87 ghz (gonzalo clocks). add 7% for n7p improvements for launch and we can hit oberon 2.0 ghz clocks and even go higher to 2.1 ghz and still stay in the sweet spot for a 100-110w 36 cu gpu or a 150-160 w console.

ysplb2a3f6b31.jpg

the real question here is why would sony target ps4 and pro tdp numbers when they have a $499 budget this time around. would they really go ahead and make another $381 bom console?

You're forgetting storage, cooling, memory and APU are all going to be more costly than Pro at launch.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Was the chatter about PS5 aiming for 2019 a rumor or real thing? If it was real, that would be my biggest evidence to support weaker machine.

D BATCH

Nov 15, 2017
40CU @ 2+GHz is a $499 box. Charging that much for a sub-12TF console would be laughable.
Huh 8/16 cpu with 1tb NVMe SSD and 5700+ GPU 499 is a great price. Parted out it would cost way more.
i am pretty certain sony will reveal something at CES. After wired articles, CES seems like the most mainstream place you can reveal your console.

maybe it will just be the console with a tech demo. or maybe some specs. its a better avenue to trod out cerny than say e3 or a feb meeting which should just focus on games.
Probably a demo and VR and maybe little spec talk. Reveal will not IMO be @ CES.

Erimriv

Oct 30, 2017
Beautiful, beautiful times ahead. I'm just enjoying this holidays here on resetera with all these fights, console wars, TeraFlops measurements, speculation, leaks etc.... WOW. It's been one of the most entertaining holidays of my life.

I got banned the week of TGA for, supposedly, incite to console wars. Just a small ban of three days, maybe I was a little bit enthusiastic with all those wonderful news about the Series X, but, being a Xbox fanboy, that was a fair outcome.

I do beleive, quite honestly, that PS5 will be a massive success, no matter the final flops, It'll have the games.

Just keep it going resetera, best of the best gaming discussion, best of the best fanboys on either platform, best of the best insiders, leakers, semi-leakers, fake leakers and awful moderators. Just like one of the greatest gaming forums of all time has to be. Way to go!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting storage, cooling, memory and APU are all going to be more costly than Pro at launch.
storage,apu and ram but why cooling? if the tdp is the same as the pro why invest so much more in cooling?

and if you are spending more on cooling then why limit yourself at 150w? why go with a smaller chip if you are paying $20-30 extra on cooling?

why cheap out on the most important thing in your console? you said it yourself the difference between 40-60 cus is 50 mm2. thats only 15% larger. costs should be 15% too.

so they spend over a $100 on storage, ram and cooling but not another $15-30 on apu? what price are they targeting? $479?

It seems like Aegon deleted this part of his post because I don't see it when I click on the link you responded to.
i wrote it but wasnt going to post it. this forum has a bit habit of appending posts after your auto saved drafts on mobile and then auto scrolls down so you dont see anything that might have been there from before. i have to go back and edit many posts i never intended to post. people who get phantom notifications from me can attest to that lol.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my prediction/hope:

- Sony reveal PS5 at CES. It will be a limited reveal without a full breakdown of features etc. However it will have a small video tease for some games, and talk specs in a similar fashion to the Xbox reveal (2x blah, 4x blurp).
- No box shown, just silicon and futuristic imagery. I'd love to be wrong on this though. Full reveal will be at PSM.
- Using the multipliers we'll be able to make some assumptions about specs. I expect it will sit firmly in the Series X range. E.g. Similar TF, CPU, Ram estimates.
- Thread will go wild about pricing, but we'll still have plenty of people arguing about Github leaks...

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
storage,apu and ram but why cooling? if the tdp is the same as the pro why invest so much more in cooling?

and if you are spending more on cooling then why limit yourself at 150w? why go with a smaller chip if you are paying $20-30 extra on cooling?

why cheap out on the most important thing in your console? you said it yourself the difference between 40-60 cus is 50 mm2. thats only 15% larger. costs should be 15% too.

so they spend over a $100 on storage, ram and cooling but not another $15-30 on apu? what price are they targeting? $479?

I think 175w - 200w TDP for PS5. That's vapor chamber territory.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
The Reddit leak from Jan that had all the correct specs for Scarlett had $250 for Lockhart, $399 for PS5, $499 for Scarlett.

MS certainly was thinking of prices like that in late 2018.

Albert Penello thinks the Ps4 would be $399, and he knows what price target MS has in mind for Xsx.
When Cerny said that the PS5 would be worth the price you pay for the hardware, it means that it most likely won't be $399.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Yep unless the cooling is cheaper than going with a bigger APU\GPU it would make no sense to do it .
Unless you think they were force to since they got catch of guard by MS and had to rush to raise the clocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.