• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
SC already did, it had allowed for a 64-bit world map which is HUGE. But it also allows for different level designs and gameplay features while keeping development much easier and streamlined.

This, and probably with RT. I think some ppl are overlooking this too.

I see some posts mentioning next gen only games might come sooner this time. I say bring it, especially if the tech and tools allow for easier development.

I have a feeling we will here more about the SSDs than the TF soon. I know it's been said before but I'm more excited about the SSD. Especially since my one next gen wish was granted....suspend/resume multiple games. I cannot wait to see how this is done.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
I don't know and that's often where the best stuff comes from! Maybe it will happen!

I did just feel that excitement playing through Boneworks, though, so it's still possible.

I'm certain we'll see some crazy shit eventually. First, though, I'm really looking forward to seamless SSD level design. No more slow elevators, cracks in walls, etc. permeating the fundamental structure of so many games. It's not the kind of crazy, turning-design-on-its-head excitement you're wanting, but I think it's going to create a real feeling of... relief, like taking off boots made of stone that you've been wearing for years.

Oct 27, 2017
Other than Spider-Man swinging through a city, can I get some examples of this fundamental design change?
We talked about it more in previous threads but here is a summary, but tbh it's just scratching the surface of what is possible. Next gen will offer huge opportunities creatively.

===== ykw - just gonna copy out the whole thing for a new thread tbh because its a common question =====

Faster load times and reduced pop-in aside, how would the game have benefited from SSD? The fly through demo while looks cool does not translate well to real world gameplay. The limiting factor is here how fast the player can interpret data on screen and react accordingly, no matter how fast you stream the data in.

Chris 1515 & BreakAtmo have touched on this already but if you want to see if for yourself we talked about it in the previous thread: (thanks to Vitamin_B_Complex for the GDC link)

- Coming back to this btw for anyone who is interested the section on streaming starts at 14:50.
- The exact details on how fast Spidey moves and how much they need to load — and how much time they have to do so (0.8-1.33 seconds) start at 17:22.
- Complications that can affect the timing, eg what else the PS4 is in the middle of doing + non-standard HDDs start at 18:20.
- They also cover how multiple sizes of tiles are loaded on demand and the perf budgets they have to do that / tricks they use to get around it. Vitamin B is right, everyone should take a look at this.

- EDIT: " forgot to add there is a section on how they did the transition between an open world and an instanced interior of the building in the first main mission at 21:14. There is an interesting specific phrase he uses where he says that they initially wanted to be able to not have load times and show the method they use to mask the transitional process that uses a cutscene to mask realtime culling and new asset generation — but in the end its was very time consuming and they had to give up on it and go with load screens. This is definitely something that will play a part in how future games are designed.
- Storage of assets / duplication is covered from 22:50 onwards.

SSDs are going to do a lot more than people will even realise / perceive.

& quoting myself again from earlier in OT5:

To add to what others are saying about guaranteed high-speed SSDs, I don't know if you have ever noticed this, but in games where you transition from an exterior place to an interior gameplay space, you will notice that the sizes never really match up.

Transitions between them are also normally very carefully controlled in order to mask that a second model is being loaded for you to move into. In the Insomniac Spidey GDC, they showed an example of the first main mission and a whole bunch of controlled camera work, an LoD model, and aggressive asset culling to make the transition seamless. They also mentioned that it took them a long time to do and so weren't able to do it in more places that they wanted to because it would have made the dev cycle take too long. In the end it meant that they had to give in and go with conventional loads for areas where they definitely wouldn't have wanted to.

If you can guarantee beast mode data streaming then all of those limitations disappear. Not just the obvious removal of initial loads, but also any kind of trickery needed to mask transitions. You can also make physically accurate game spaces that load immediately and have transitions from exterior to interior spaces (and reverse) become immediate. If they combine that with a good procedural asset generation pipeline you could do stuff like literally make every building in a game world be accurately sized and be visitable.

Think of what that could do for a game like Spidey or GTA or any other game set in a modern city or open world. Think of what it could do for a No Man's Sky type of game but AAA and going from different parts of a planets to different planets to ships to space stations to wormholes and everything in between. Without needing to resort to heavy data duplication current gen games do to run off a HDD.

High speed storage doesn't just open up options for faster loading – it offers opportunities to change game design while retaining high quality performance. I'm extremely excited to see what doors it opens creatively.

Fast data streaming opens up a lot more doors than just loading, data de-deplication, & reducing pop-in. It offers a lot of creative opportunities for solving things that were difficult or impossible to do on current hardware and for new ideas that developers probably haven't even come up with yet.

Last edited:
Dictator (Digital Foundry) - How game design can be impacted by next gen consoles.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
strange , should we not expect major changes in gamedesign given that we will have for the first time SSDs in Consoles?
I think the first major changes to game design vs. what we saw this gen will be due to CPU advantages at the start of the generation. More AI, more complex physics, more unique objects on screen and such. That is a much more simple hardware metric to take advantage of than rewriting the entire way your engine loads data from disk and puts it into memory and then designing entire game systems around that. SSDs at the beginning will primarily be used to speed up game loading, making it pretty trivial. That is not a large change to game design though.

I imagine most games will still be pretty traditional for a while - dedicated levels, dedicated cutscenes, dedicated front ends/uis for each area of the game (multiplayer/singleplayer/etc.). Not every game needs to be 100% seamless all the time / give the player full agency necessarily. The spider man camera thing that they demod on PS5 is just a test case. On ps4 the camera was hardware limited to a certain degree to a certain speed, faster than that speed, the game would probably stutter as it loaded in objects too slowly from disk. But how necessary is it for most games out there, honestly, that the camera move really rapidly? Spiderman/the player won't need to move that quickly!

Only later on, and then, only for games that need it (for which many have no need for it), will some developers leverage the different way SSDs can do loading vs. before.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
WHY THE HELL GOT KLEEGAMEFAN BANNED!
Our #1 reliable source is GONE! Dumbasses!

He banned himself. There were a lot of people kind of beating up on him because he wouldn't divulge more intel. He didn't want to risk slipping up and outing his source which sounds like someone he's been friends with for a long time.

He doesn't want to be tempted to correct someone's information, which would have ramifications to where he got his information.

So he banned himself, and will return once things are announced.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
SSDs: What type of games will benefit the most from it? IMO:
  • Games with fast paced change of scenery
  • Games with lots of objects in a scene and major changes in movement
  • Games with Ad Hoc fights in an arena (common in JRPGs)
Examples (only 3rd party because otherwise someone will try to start another pointless Xbox vs Playstation):
  • Grand Theft Auto, Watch Dogs -> especially when driving
  • Racing games -> better environments and no more tricks with 2D models
  • RPGs with bigger towns -> The Witcher 3 and lots going on there, The Division
  • Open World games in general like AC
I would also add a game where the main mechanic is dragging a file from a folder in drive C: to drive D:.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's the thing - if games are still built with Xbox One in mind, will that come to pass?

I was thinking we should at least get some PS5 exclusives that do it, and I strongly doubt that any insistence on sticking hard to the X1 will last past holiday 2021.

Frankly, I'm more worried about devs not designing around SSDs for the PC versions.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm puzzled why MS not developing 1st-party exclusives for Scarlet in the launch period is leading people to believe that the cross-gen titles will be on the same disc.
They will be on the same disc.
I fully expect every Scarlet physical release to be on a 100GB(+) BDXL disc with new branding.
That's not going to happen until a certain point in time, and we don't know when that is. It may never happen, xbox games might simply get rebranded "xbox" and you have to check icons for support of your particular hardware. I posted earlier in the thread but seemingly nobody wanted to discuss.

This is what'll happen at retail:

You'll walk into a store and see ps5 games next to ps4 games. Unique games, unique branding, exclusives only for that platform. On the other shelves will be xbox one games, possibly rebranded to simply "xbox" games for newer titles after some point this year. There's absolutely no need for a new box/colour/branding if the platform holder itself isn't even releasing a single exclusive title for the platfrom in the first year or two, if all games are scaleable and simply perform better on better hardware.

In that light, for me, xbox series x really is effectively another mid-gen refresh just like the xbox 1 x and promises of being truly generationless are borne out. this isn't generation 8, generation 8.5 or generation 9 for Microsoft. It's just xbox. You will buy the xbox version of the game and download patches and texture packs if required just as you do with xbox 1 x is you have a series x. No idea what would happen if a 3rd party wanted to release an exclusive series x game at launch, or even if it's possible because it's the same scenario as the 1x where it is mandated you have to support the xb1 and 1x as well, nobody gets left behind.

For me that's a potential perception nightmare for microsoft at retail. People go in a store, see ps4 and ps5 alongside each other. They instantly know what's up - there's a new playstation, it's more powerful, it's a new generation. Look at the xbox aisle and... what? But I don't think they care because retail is a small and diminishing part of their plans.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I'm sure it'll be a significant tech leap. It's just that...it feels like next-gen is going to be akin to a PC graphics card upgrade rather than an actual new console launch. There's a distinct difference there for me.

I feel the opposite .
This gen was a new gfx card where this next gen feels like a new console.
Only the Ram saw a good jump last gen and the GPU was okay .
Next gen everything is a huge jump.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Will they ? Microsoft will not force 3rd party to develop game also for x one ;)
First party games but we'll see how it goes.

Either way, I realize that, personally, it just comes down to workload. I really don't like the idea of having to include all last-gen consoles in videos in addition to the new ones. It might be the straw that breaks my back! It's just too much.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

Either way, I realize that, personally, it just comes down to workload. I really don't like the idea of having to include all last-gen consoles in videos in addition to the new ones. It might be the straw that breaks my back! It's just too much.
Haha but will be fun comparsion to watch :-)

Dec 8, 2018
WHY THE HELL GOT KLEEGAMEFAN BANNED!
Our #1 reliable source is GONE! Dumbasses!

He banned himself because of being constantly asked to verify, deny and constantly quoted coupled with him being scared he might say more than he already done putting his friend who leaked to him at risk so did not find it worth.

He made it seem he might return later perhaps after the spec reveals when the risk are gone.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

Imagine the workload on developers that have to make sure it runs well on the S and X :)

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I think it's also possible to have a more consistent world, examples - respawning, broken items (etc) the things that generally 'reset' maybe no longer need to be?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Don't forget the business aspect of it, which is especially at the beginning of a new gen --> install base old gen --> potential buyers

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I think the first major changes to game design vs. what we saw this gen will be due to CPU advantages at the start of the generation. More AI, more complex physics, more unique objects on screen and such. That is a much more simple hardware metric to take advantage of than rewriting the entire way your engine loads data from disk and puts it into memory and then designing entire game systems around that. SSDs at the beginning will primarily be used to speed up game loading, making it pretty trivial. That is not a large change to game design though.

I imagine most games will still be pretty traditional for a while - dedicated levels, dedicated cutscenes, dedicated front ends/uis for each area of the game (multiplayer/singleplayer/etc.). Not every game needs to be 100% seamless all the time / give the player full agency necessarily. The spider man camera thing that they demod on PS5 is just a test case. On ps4 the camera was hardware limited to a certain degree to a certain speed, faster than that speed, the game would probably stutter as it loaded in objects too slowly from disk. But how necessary is it for most games out there, honestly, that the camera move really rapidly? Spiderman/the player won't need to move that quickly!

Only later on, and then, only for games that need it (for which many have no need for it), will some developers leverage the different way SSDs can do loading vs. before.
This is my assumption as well. Good post.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine the workload on developers that have to make sure it runs well on the S and X :)
Yes, it's awful for them too! I've yet to speak with a developer that likes working on Xbox One S - so I'd imagine there is disappointment in needing to support it going forward. It's a very troubled machine.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

I imagine most games will still be pretty traditional for a while - dedicated levels, dedicated cutscenes, dedicated front ends/uis for each area of the game (multiplayer/singleplayer/etc.). Not every game needs to be 100% seamless all the time / give the player full agency necessarily.

Do you really not see games similar to Jedi Fallen Order getting rid of all the masked loading very quickly? Having all these great ideas for level designs and then having to restrict them and split them up and load them with ways to slow the player (and kill the pacing) sounds like such a tremendous pain in the ass, and it crossed me as the sort of thing devs would be desperate to escape from ASAP to the point of preparing for it in advance.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

Especially if it is running like trash. Who wants to cover that let alone spend the time away from the more interesting thing? (the next gen version)

There is no joy in covering something like Shadow of Mordor on PS3
Do you really not see games similar to Jedi Fallen Order getting rid of all the masked loading very quickly? Having all these great ideas for level designs and then having to restrict them and split them up and load them with ways to slow the player (and kill the pacing) sounds like such a tremendous pain in the ass, and it crossed me as the sort of thing devs would be desperate to escape from ASAP to the point of preparing for it in advance.
You sure you read what I wrote? I said that it will trivialise loading. That does not mean every game though will suddenly have a 100% seemless world thnough.

Oct 25, 2017
A multigenerational GTA story epic set in 3 different time periods. Decisions made in the past instantly manifest in the present. (Back to the Future style). You swap in and out at will. The landscape changes through time at your command.

Game designers are rubbing their hands together in glee at the prospect.
Done got me hyped. I like transition stuff of that sort.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't know if there is going to be a PS5 event next month. with the rumors of Sony skipping E3 I really think they will hold something in the summer and blow it all out. They really don't need E3 anymore. I just feel that Sony is completely in control right now.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Imagine the pain for a first party dev coding and testing for Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and potentially Xbox Lockhart.

I also hate the fact that a lot of developers need to still keep Xbox One S in mind while coding. Either the game is going to get compromised by that console or that specific build for the console is going to be horrible.

Aug 26, 2019
I think the first major changes to game design vs. what we saw this gen will be due to CPU advantages at the start of the generation. More AI, more complex physics, more unique objects on screen and such.
Will it be physics that actually affect gameplay (Control) or just minor stuff like Lara's axe bouncing dynamically on her belt? That's what I want to know.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This, very much. Games jump should be PS2->X360 at the very least. I would prefer SNES->N64, of course.

Plus it's not only the hardware there is a lot of up coming tech that will make things interesting to see what they do with it.
Like RT , VSR , engine adjustments for the SSD , AI for certain jobs etc etc .

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
You sure you read what I wrote? I said that it will trivialise loading. That does not mean every game though will suddenly have a 100% seemless world thnough.

I must've misunderstood you. I thought you were saying that literal loading screens would be gone but that current level/environment design would stick around for a while, because you said the loading removal "wasn't a large change to game design". My bad.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Yes, it's awful for them too! I've yet to speak with a developer that likes working on Xbox One S - so I'd imagine there is disappointment in needing to support it going forward. It's a very troubled machine.
I've acquired some hidden camera footage of you at the Redmond headquarters:
91bf4c8e769b4d3f6da3f18cb9e33de3.gif

kylo-ren-let-the-past-die-gif.gif

JPizRL5.gif

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

First party games and i would add Rockstar in that category as well.

I noticed you often mention "time,budget and talent" when you talk about those games in DF videos and i fully agree,that's often much more important that raw specs.

Oct 27, 2017
For a while I've been envisaging a racing game like say, Mario Kart, where a pickup item like the lightning bolt doesn't make everyone smaller but completely changes the track either immediately or in realtime similar to the wavey visual effect when you land a huge jump while in Tricky status in SSX (2012). Whatever race strategy you had now needs to change immediately to adapt...

Or one where you can chose to play a set of tracks together as a "playlist" course and they all seamlessly transition from one to another as you cross the staring line for each for example. The latter could probably be done now with some smart asset caching, but I don't see how the former could happen without either eating a load of RAM or an SSD.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Imagine the pain for a first party dev coding and testing for Xbox One S, Xbox One X, Xbox Series X and potentially Xbox Lockhart.

I also hate the fact that a lot of developers need to still keep Xbox One S in mind while coding. Either the game is going to get compromised by that console or that specific build for the console is going to be horrible.

coding for a few console specs is still easier than coding for infinity pc specs, i'd wager.

Deleted member 61179

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
A late merry Christmas and happy new year to everyone.

Final predictions

Ps5
CPU: 8core Zen2 16threads 3.2ghz
GPU: 56 rdna cu's @1870mhz =13.4tf
RAm: 16gddr6 (3gb for os)
SSD nvme 1tb
$499

XsX
CPU: 8core Zen2 16threads 3.4ghz
GPU: 56 rdna cu's @1700mhz =12.18tf
RAm: 16gddr6 (3gb for os)
SSD nvme 1tb
$499
Happy new year! Welcome back!
Coming from a playstation fan!
*hides in cover* *activating defense system* *requesting backup*
;P

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
For a while I've been envisaging a racing game like say, Mario Kart, where a pickup item like the lightning bolt doesn't make everyone smaller but completely changes the track either immediately or in realtime similar to the wavey visual effect when you land a huge jump while in Tricky status in SSX (2012). Whatever race strategy you had now needs to change immediately to adapt...

Or one where you can chose to play a set of tracks together as a "playlist" course and they all seamlessly transition from one to another as you cross the staring line for each for example. The latter could probably be done now with some smart asset caching, but I don't see how the former could happen without either eating a load of RAM or an SSD.
Breath of the wild sequel where link plays a melody and the world changes around him. What's more "Nintendo" than having a dual world design. Zelda OOT with the past and future worlds, Metroid Prime 2 with the dark world, imagine that in real-time changing around you :)

#WishNintendoWasInThePowerRace

Dec 8, 2018

Drop those comparisons then. Those who watch your stuff probably are build up of 99% enthusiasts and will want to know how well games will run on the new gen consoles and PC and spend a fraction on the current gen. The 1% that might be mad is not worth burning yourself out on.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Do you have any specific ideas about what next gen tech would enable from a gameplay/game design standpoint?

I was thinking that it could do something that's been the dream of open world games, especially that of GTA.... Every building has an interior. Every building has a "floor plan" which are instructions on geometry, materials and internal assets (furniture) and then as you approach, the SSD is able to load in all the necessary assets on the fly.

The other thing I think it might enable is complete level geometry/assets swap. It could be near instantaneous teleportation across an open world, or be used to change the world around you. Imagine a time travel game where you can flash into the past or the future seamlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.