• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think both will definitely have unveil events in the coming months
Phil can barely keep Scarlett in his pants. No way he waits until E3.
I'd be surprised if MS doesn't have a full hardware / system feature reveal event prior to E3. No way they'd waste time at E3 going over that stuff. They've treated E3 as 99% games six years in a row now.

Okay, maybe MS do an event before E3 to show off the hardware, but Sony?

HighYellowishFirefly-size_restricted.gif

(cue Sony announcing their February event later today)

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I wonder if it is possible for Sony to invite publishers and gave them some space on Psx, for example.
Already the case : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Experience#Exhibitors
others claiming it's very easy to scale down
Yeah but it is BS. Never forget that most people doesn't know how development works (video games or any IT project).
The SSD talk earlier got me excited. I want a game next gen with some teleporter action.

That kind of short teleportation is already doable.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
How do you guys think that Sony will announce their E3 news today, will they also announce what date the PS meeting is happening in aswell or just mention that they're not attending E3 and leave us in the blank?

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
When? I think if there's new branding, it's "xbox" rather than the current "xbox one". I think it's a new generation in that they're stepping away from xbox one, but it's only a side-step, not a generational demarcation as such. That makes sense to me with the direction they are going.

Like I said though, I can't think of how there would be a single game in a newly designed "xbox series..." box. If there's going to be an xbox series s as well but all games run on all machines. I agree though, it is the time for new branding, we just see that differently, though. For me, the most logical thing would be to not go about creating a new generational brand alongside "xbox one", but a new all-encompassing "xbox" family branding, without "one" and without "series" baggage that creates hassle now and in the future. I think they're looking much more long term, frequent hardware refreshes and no generations as such. Like phones and their OSs, the old old stuff gets dropped over time, but nobody cares by then as they've all moved on.

It's going to pretty much be exactly the same as it was for xbox one x - that required nothing extra or new. But it also gives an opportunity to consolidate the brand as a whole and move forward without hard phases.

It's not about saving dollars, it's about consistency and presenting xbox as the brand, not a separate aspect of it. I don't think they're all that interested in next generation as anthin more than an opportunity to present a compelling new box or boxes, to envigorate the playerbase, and allow the hardcore fans do what they did 2 years ago and play the best possible versions of games. But generally, they're just as if not more focussed on everyone who is already making repeat payments each month. That does more for the longer term integrity of the brand and for their earning potential.

I think the unification of branding where Xbox = MS gaming doesn't negate the need for individual platform branding. While there may be a point where MS have a unified platform where software is completely de-coupled from hardware, they are not there yet. Not even close. Therefore you have to have branding for each hardware platform and the Xbox One platform, which is the One and One X, is a distinct platform from the Scarlet platform which is XBSX and maybe Lockhart. Then there is PC and xCloud. All will need to have their own sub-branding underneath the overall Xbox brand to prevent consumer confusion.

Last edited:

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I can absolutely understand Sony wanting to have complete control over the timing of their reveals rather than being locked into a particular keynote slot at E3. I also won't be surprised if we get the PS5 street date and pricing after E3. Just like last year, this puts Microsoft in the unenviable position of having a fixed date for at least some form of major announcement on the E3 stage.

Who goes first in terms of gameplay reveals will also be interesting. I half expect it'll be drawn out, one trailer at a time, rather than attempting a shock-and-awe reel of one game after another.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
I can absolutely understand Sony wanting to have complete control over the timing of their reveals rather than being locked into a particular keynote slot at E3. I also won't be surprised if we get the PS5 street date and pricing after E3. Just like last year, this puts Microsoft in the unenviable position of having a fixed date for at least some form of major announcement on the E3 stage.

Who goes first in terms of gameplay reveals will also be interesting. I half expect it'll be drawn out, one trailer at a time, rather than attempting a shock-and-awe reel of one game after another.

It will be interesting to see when they unveil the price and release date. PS4 release date was announced at Gamescom 2013. My prediction is that they would announce the release date and price simultaneously this time around.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure I understand what your saying. Are you suggesting exclusive software designed around the SSD and Zen processor can be backported to PS4?

Guerilla themselves mentioned not having the raw mb/s to implement flying in Horizon and Spidermans speed was gimped because of HDD.

I'd argue games are gimped far more due to lack of time or money. God of War, Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk spent most of a generation in development. 5-7 years from planning to release. Yes, big, dense, highly interactive AAA games may apply things that are not scalable. Last gen Witcher 3 was the first game to deliver a true all around next gen experience outside of visuals. Sony themselves have not delivered those big experiences in the first 2 years of any console launch. If we get a big, dense open world game in the first 2 years of the new gen, it's extremely unlikely initial planning for the game began with these new console IO speeds in mind.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Imagine fast travel in God of War with the new SSD where you don't spend any time inside the Mystic Gateway… you just pass through the gate straight into the new location. Or even being able to see the other part of the world through the gate. Would feel amazing.

Jan 21, 2019
Quick question: Do we know if the Xbox controller of the Series X will have a screenshot button? Or is this just wishful thinking on my end. It is definitely something I love about the PS4 pad but sadly on PC it doesn't work and there is no equivalent to it...

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Quick question: Do we know if the Xbox controller of the Series X will have a screenshot button? Or is this just wishful thinking on my end. It is definitely something I love about the PS4 pad but sadly on PC it doesn't work and there is no equivalent to it...

Yeah it will have a share button.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
We've had cross-gen games before where one generation's feature-set was lesser than the other, it's just that that was actually often been in favor of the prior-gen version. Why is it assumed cross-gen = parity in everything but visuals?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Dark1x Come on my man. Every dream has come true. We are getting 8 core 16 thread CPUs. We are getting ray tracing in a console. We are getting SSDs in a console. We are getting 12 RDNA tflops. Or 18 Tahiti tflops, 15 polaris tflops. And thats just the Xbox. PS5 might even be stronger with SSD speeds up to 5GBps if Cerny is to be believed.

Dont let twitter and other pessimistic and realistic users bring you down. We are extremely excited over here and have not let the downers bring us down. Just wait for Sony first party studios, talented Capcom studios, rockstar, rocksteady, respawn and KojiPro to blow you away. These devs WILL take advantage of all that tech in ways we havent seen before.

You talked to the Horizon devs, you saw how much they had to compromise. Time for compromises is over. It will be the most significant tech leap since the PS1 to PS2. Forget ray tracing, thats just shiny graphics. CPU and SSD upgrade will let devs push the boundries in ways we havent seen before.

Just hang out in this thread, and quit twitter. We have our cross gen apologists but we dont let them bring us down. Sky is the limit man.
giving hope to the needy.
That's the thing - if games are still built with Xbox One in mind, will that come to pass?
oh lawd
Yes, it's awful for them too! I've yet to speak with a developer that likes working on Xbox One S - so I'd imagine there is disappointment in needing to support it going forward. It's a very troubled machine.
Era is here for you
Thank you, To be honest, having the past month off has been a blessing in disguise this thread has been an embarrassment.

II was particularly amused by some posters talking about me in vain even though I was not here. Never knew I got to people in this thread so much.
I knew you never left us Anthony. Welcome back and I can see you are both a month older and a month wiser.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
first:

"The world and asset design is what makes the SSD a requirement. It took a lot of money to create this world (universe really) and assets. We're not getting first gen titles with that level of ambition."

and:

"Am I saying that games need to cost $200+ million to utilize the hardware? No, not at all."

So it cost a lot of money but we don't need to cost 200millions. So according to you what are the cost of using and SSD as an requirement compared to HDD?

But regardless its just one example of a game having a SSD as an requirement and their gameplay demanding it or the game turns into a slideshow regardless if you run it on a 2080ti. Just as in SC horizon 2 might let you fly across the open world in tremendous speeds (like the spaceships) and the SSD can still keep up filling the screens with tons of textures keeping up and it would simply not work on a PS4 and it's HDD. And horizon 2 don't need to be a space MMO for this to happen either and as gigantic as SC goal is that has nothing to do with why it might demand an SSD to be possible. And this is just one aspect which you can already see with the Spider-Man demo on PS5 and that uses current gen limited textures and still the developers had to design the game around a specific swing speed. There are probably tons of other walls developers run into developing for these weak outdated hardware that they now don't have to care about when designing a game and how SC is designed is simply one that demands an SSD and far from the only way a game might require one.

I am not saying Halo is not a premier title it is but you will also be able to buy it on your Xbox one launch console while you won't be able to play the first party offerings at all from Sony if you don't buy the console It's as simple as that. If you are equally interested in both Halo and Demon Souls and have money for both for instance but don't have the money to pick both consoles would it not then be pretty obvious that you buy halo and play it on your Xbox and pick up the PS5 to play the game you can't play on your PS4. Especially if you know the next year of Microsoft games won't also be tied to the new gen.

Would Horizon 2 be a key title? Demon Souls? Some obscure new game? The combination of those titles? That answer is different for every person and might convince someone to go ahead and invest earlier in the new gen compared to if those games would also be available on the PS4 it's as simple as that.

And while Jon from DF is skeptical about the next gen games being more than "gpu upgrades" he ties that to games also having to work on jaguar CPU's, HDD and rest of the old hardware.

Considering this gen Sony is moving from x86 to x86 development for the first time, the PS5 is according to developers the easiest PlayStation to develop on I see them being in a better position than ever to take advantage of the new hardware.

Are Xbox going to use ray tracing and the shorter load times the XsX hardware provides? Off course! That is not the same as using the hardware to it's maximum capabilities.

How can they show off the full capabilities and how the SSD and CPU provides new gameplay mechthat both MS and Sony have claimed they do which previously was impossible on the current gen and at the same time also release those games on the consoles they said it was impossible on?

How are you confused about this?

And no you don't need a PC port for something to be proven that is beyond silly. If a developer or DF or anyone else that has deep knowledge of the limitations of hardware and what would or not be possible you don't belive them? This is really getting into fanboy thinking theory.

And once again Sony is showing their late adopters support this entire year as well and they still release first party next gen only games at launch. Let's say it like this Sony cares more about getting people to transition over as quickly as possible compared to Xbox is that something you can agree on? If so the comment from their CEO and how any user of their services (their main goal) is equally important regardless of device probably plays a role in that decision or what do you believe is the reason?

The vision of Xbox is to be available on as many devices as possible and reach as many people as possible.

The vision of PlayStation is to move people over to the new gen hardware at an unprecedented pace.

These are two completely different main goals and it affects their overall strategies and their decision and while both want to sell as many consoles as they can and both want as much people subscribing to their services the prioritization is just the opposite.

Clearly you want to just argue while proclaiming how great your preferred company is. We are clearly looking for two different things in this discussion, so there's no point in going further with you.

Tell that to Kage Maru he was the one jumping on me for pointing out how that might be something worth thread marking since like you said we have a lot of people who don't understand shit but still want to talk like they are providing facts.

I thought it was pointless because the base Xbox One has been a pain for devs for some time now and what was said wasn't anything new. It brought nothing new to the conversation so I didn't see a point in thread marking it. I just thought it was funny that you would request it because you feel like it fits your agenda.

I already failed to discuss something with him, so no :D

That's not fair. I was more than open to understand your point and truly don't get what your problem is.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'd argue games are gimped far more due to lack of time or money. God of War, Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk spent most of a generation in development. 5-7 years from planning to release. Yes, big, dense, highly interactive AAA games may apply things that are not scalable. Last gen Witcher 3 was the first game to deliver a true all around next gen experience outside of visuals. Sony themselves have not delivered those big experiences in the first 2 years of any console launch. If we get a big, dense open world game in the first 2 years of the new gen, it's extremely unlikely initial planning for the game began with these new console IO speeds in mind.

It's interesting that you mention The Witcher 3 and Red Dead 2 as they both control like crap to me.

We'll see if this bares out but I'm hopeful it isn't the case.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
That's not fair. I was more than open to understand your point and truly don't get what your problem is.
Fair enough.
Your point is : mid fresh are running the game better than vanilla. It is true, yes.
My point is : baring exceptions, mid fresh are "just" a more stable frame rate (but sometimes not) and increase resolution. But both of those consoles (especially X) are way more advanced than vanilla. You don't even have performance / quality mode on most.
The whole point is : dev doesn't have time to handle that many platforms. And it makes no sense economically, because you don't care if the gamer buy it on One S or One X, and PS4 or Pro.
So, what do you think will happened when they need to run it on S, X, (Lockart) and Series X ?

Feb 10, 2018
giving hope to the needy.
oh lawd
Era is here for you
I knew you never left us Anthony. Welcome back and I can see you are both a month older and a month wiser.

Thank you, it really seems this thread is just retreading on stuff. Theres not really anything new to discuss regarding what the hardware will be.

I will say I'm really curious how Sony are going to cool there APU considering they are also pushing wattage boundaries for consoles. Will they make a bigger box like MS and go for that 140mm fan or do somthing more creative?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This

Never forget E3 2013 lol.

Unfortunately, it's not 2013 anymore.

E3 has pretty much grown progressively worse since 2013. Last year when whispers of Sony skipping emerged, I was one of the most vocal detractors of Sony's decision; even though I understood the reasoning behind it. I had an emeotional investment in E3. It's an event in the gaming calendar that has delivered legendary moments in the past before, for a second long as i've Known anything about gaming.

But the past few years have been dire.

Last year in particular was such an unadulterated, unilateral, shit show that it's not even funny. Heck, TGA 2019 was a bigger event and had better reveals than E3 2019. And all that's not to mention the doxxxing of media personalities nod a attendees last year.

Publishers just don't publish enough new games and new IP for E3 to be exciting anymore.

Nov 11, 2017

E3 has pretty much grown progressively worse since 2013. Last year when whispers of Sony skipping emerged, I was one of the most vocal detractors of Sony's decision; even though I understood the reasoning behind it. I had an emeotional investment in E3. It's an event in the gaming calendar that has delivered legendary moments in the past before, for a second long as i've Known anything about gaming.

Last year in particular was such an unadulterated, unilateral, shit show that it's not even funny. Heck, TGA 2019 was a bigger event and had better reveals than E3 2019. And all that's not to mention the doxxxing of media personalities nod a attendees last year.

Publishers just don't publish enough new games and new IP for E3 to be exciting anymore.
"TGA 2019 was a bigger event and had better reveals than E3 2019."

That's simply not true and honestly generally ridiculous comparison. One's a gaming event for vendors journalist publisher's etc, the others a secluded award show. Both should continue to exist

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

You may have let the hyperbole take hold a big strong here, we got some nice trailers and that's about it from TGA. That was cool and all but that's not much more than a bad third day of E3.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
You may have let the hyperbole take hold a big strong here, we got some nice trailers and that's about it from TGA. That was cool and all but that's not much more than a bad third day of E3.

There wasn't a single game with an interesting trailer at E3. The vast majority were CGI BS that didn't show anything of the game. TGA at least game us some meat for the new game announcements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even saying TGA was good for game reveals, just that it wasn't as irredeemably shit as E3.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It will be interesting to see when they unveil the price and release date. PS4 release date was announced at Gamescom 2013. My prediction is that they would announce the release date and price simultaneously this time around.

Almost certainly. I expect price/date to be announced together, but feature/tech demos will likely be a distinct reveal earlier, and individual games can be showcased separately whenever it suits them. I am far less certain that we'll have a traditional launch game lineup this time around. No doubt there will be one or two first-party showcase titles, but too many promising games have been tragically compromised by being rushed out alongside a console. The big releases should come out when they're ready, letting third party and indie titles fill out much of the holiday schedule.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Thank you, it really seems this thread is just retreading on stuff. Theres not really anything new to discuss regarding what the hardware will be.

I will say I'm really curious how Sony are going to cool there APU considering they are also pushing wattage boundaries for consoles. Will they make a bigger box like MS and go for that 140mm fan or do somthing more creative?

Wait are you circling back to the github stuff? That seems to be a bit of a retread haha.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at ESA right now.

r2CKTSQ.gif

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
There wasn't a single game with an interesting trailer at E3. The vast majority were CGI BS that didn't show anything of the game. TGA at least game us some meat for the new game announcements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not even saying TGA was good for game reveals, just that it wasn't as irredeemably shit as E3.
Are you representing the whole world that E3 was bad, or just yourself?

Because I had no problem with the games, or the trailers. And I think I'm not the only one, but don't take me for speaking for the whole world, please. :)

Nov 2, 2017

Are you specifically talking about new game announcements because there were plenty of good trailers from games we knew about: Doom, Cyberpunk, Jedi New Order, FF7 remake, etc.

I mean it's fine if you don't really like anything but that's more of a you problem.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
Almost certainly. I expect price/date to be announced together, but feature/tech demos will likely be a distinct reveal earlier, and individual games can be showcased separately whenever it suits them. I am far less certain that we'll have a traditional launch game lineup this time around. No doubt there will be one or two first-party showcase titles, but too many promising games have been tragically compromised by being rushed out alongside a console. The big releases should come out when they're ready, letting third party and indie titles fill out much of the holiday schedule.

I can agree with the launch titles scenario. I was thinking that maybe this time around they'd blow people out of the water right away. But I'm scaling back on that theory.

So I'd assume 1-3 next-gen games (Schreier in the splitscreen podcast made it sound like to me that there would be multiple PS5 games at launch), the rest third party cross-gen and the last few exclusives being cross-gen as well, but with PS5 enhancements. Makes it a solid launch imo.

In the first half of your comments, I think the roles would be reversed. Show what the power of the Console is about, and then if they have to, a separate showing of the price and launch date. Usually it ties in nicely when you show games and then reveal the price tag after. Perfect salesman's pitch technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.