• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Tonky and i are just having a little fun. there is no reason why this cant be fun.

nothing too controversial. i just want them to join the big boys and compete with them for the best most powerful hardware. i want to play nintendo games designed on the same tech as the other two. when xbox series x comes out, it would be like 63% more powerful than the switch in docked mode.

botw 2, zelda 2 and metroid prime will be amazing im sure. but will they lose some their wow factor when we see next gen games at E3.
haha, my mistake. love your posts, it's helped me navigate this thread.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Z7HeRxU.png

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The ps5 is on par with the series X(2 teraflops difference) and will cost a hundred bucks less.

But the ps5 is 6 teraflops more powerful than the less powerful new Xbox and will only cost 100 bucks more.

😶👀

You get diminishing returns the more you pay for TFs.

Considering that a major fraction of the bom will be the not linearly scaled CPU, mobo, ram, SSD, the pricing differences make sense.

However, $399, $499, $599 does not.

$399 should get you much better than 4TF.

I've always though $399 console would be a 8 core Zen, 16GB slowest GDDR6, 8TF GPU, 1TB SSD, assuming the BOM is the same as the PS4 ($50 loss).

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
That kinda already happened.

Microsoft reveals series X hardware at TGA = zzzzzz

Sony shows off PS5 logo = Yay it's the greatest thing ever!!!!!
That's not true though, is it? The Series X was very popular and exciting for tons of people, especially these threads. And a lot of people found the PS5 logo reveal quite boring. The are many different kinds of people that look for different things.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
Sony saying they're going to be attending hundreds of events this year almost sounds like they're going for some sort of extended blitzkrieg strategy (for lack of a better term) to flood the market with their brand leading up to the PS5 launch. I'm very curious to see how this plays out.
|OT10| - Calm before The Tempest

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That kinda already happened.

Microsoft reveals series X hardware at TGA = zzzzzz

Sony shows off PS5 logo = Yay it's the greatest thing ever!!!!!

I think Sony will be fine by skipping E3. They seem to know what they're doing. For now. Let's just wait and see how the year goes.

Untrue. The Series X announcement was unexpected and exciting. There's a limit to how much hype MS could generate given how far off it is, and the fact that they've not shared detailed specs, launch games etc. But it was a good reveal that spurred plenty of coverage and discussion.

The PS5 logo also did quite well.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Well I'm going with no PS Meeting in February. They would have definitely announced it today along side that article.

With no event announced we're kind of in a limbo.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
You get diminishing returns the more you pay for TFs.

Considering that a major fraction of the bom will be the not linearly scaled CPU, mobo, ram, SSD, the pricing differences make sense.

However, $399, $499, $599 does not.

$399 should get you much better than 4TF.

I've always though $399 console would be a 8 core Zen, 16GB slowest GDDR6, 8TF GPU, 1TB SSD, assuming the BOM is the same as the PS4 ($50 loss).

Do you think part of their recent strategy to support X1S and X1X longer is a byproduct of possibly canning the low end model?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree with you more! There has always been a certain magic in knowing what the future will bring; even if years in advance. It's a promise of things to come. Sony used to be very good at leveraging this future line up to create/maintain hype for their platform.

A few missed release dates and delayed games later and now all of a sudden we get nothing. Why not just stop announcing the actual release dates so soon and throw us a bone. Like they could literally just announce the next Horizon and Ratchet are in development for PS5 and we'd go nuts. Why the hell not get people thinking about the future of the platform?
it's so bizarre. the secrecy is absolutely needless and extremely infuriating. they should have at least 2 exclusives out in 10 months, 3-4 in less than a year. and we havent seen them? PS5 was announced in April and no footage whatsoever? Why? i dont even want the specs anymore. they have one job, build excitement and its been nothing but teases for 9 months since april.

i was shocked to see MS show up at the vgas and show off the console and a game. it was brilliant.

these are just video games. Like miamiwesker said about movies, movies get announced as soon as a director or an actor or even a screenwriter gets attached to them. horizon 2 has been in dev for 3+ years now and they wont even acknowledge its existence. Its not a state secret. 'its just a fucking toy' as Matt so eloquently put it. Showing it off wont give MS an edge. it wont piss off gamers who know for a fact that it will be available at launch in 2020. people arent this finicky.

This is just as bad as what WB is doing with the Batman game. if you have a presser in Feb. just say so at CES when you were revealing the logo. people ate that shit up. they wont get upset at a reveal trailer.
Considering this is how last E3 went, I think Sony will be fine.

3545987-pimmpwh.gif
lmao.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
At this point i wouldn't be surprised if Sony skipped any PS Meeting next month and go radio silence till after TLOU2 and Ghosts release in July then have one big event detailing price, release date, games, design reveal etc then release in Q4

Sony is doing things differently this time around, the 2013 next gen plan is out the window
How's OT 40 gonna be, with no news from now until summer. 😩

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know why people assumed there would be a meeting in Feb. Because there was one in 2013?? Nah, that's too loose of a leg for me to stand on. I bet we have a meeting right before e3 (May) that reveals everything. (Clearly loose AF as well)

Yeah it was precedent but also insiders pointing to February. Especially Klee who had built up a good bit of trust before boarding his life-boat on this Titanic of a thread.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe, just maybe...it has more to do with the games being actually great? Crazy explanation, I know! ;)
knack and killzone shadowfall were great???

i think its crazy to suggest that E3 2013 didnt help Sony win the gamers over. Sony first party didnt start firing on all cylinders until bloodborne hit in 2015, but they had already won the gen by then if you look at the sales.

E3 matters. MS winning over gamers matters. I dont care if they lose next gen. Sony lost the PS3 gen and they were releasing like 5 amazing exclusives every year. Sales wars dont matter to me. all they gotta do is get the gamers on their side and the best way to do that is by showing great next gen games like you said. that will earn them more goodwill than gamepass, BC and crossgen support combined.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
1900s were a lot better than that if you know where to look!

693px-Prokudin-Gorskii-08.jpg

696px-Staraya_Ladoga_Church.JPG

696px-Gorskii_04422u.jpg
Thank you for posting those, I remember those photos from when they were first getting digitally reassembled. They are truly spectacular. It's a such a random but great way to brighten up the thread. :)
Found this. Real PS5 or fake?

PS54CHAN.jpg
Looks like a Subpor Z+ Slim if there ever had been one (or will be?). Plus it'll look like an X if you look at it at more of an angle. So... uh... real. lol.

Maybe this is a new Subpor Z and it's what the github leaks actually were of. :)

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
knack and killzone shadowfall were great???

i think its crazy to suggest that E3 2013 didnt help Sony win the gamers over. Sony first party didnt start firing on all cylinders until bloodborne hit in 2015, but they had already won the gen by then if you look at the sales.

E3 matters. MS winning over gamers matters. I dont care if they lose next gen. Sony lost the PS3 gen and they were releasing like 5 amazing exclusives every year. Sales wars dont matter to me. all they gotta do is get the gamers on their side and the best way to do that is by showing great next gen games like you said. that will earn them more goodwill than gamepass, BC and crossgen support combined.

The PS3 killer apps took their sweet time, and by the time they started aligning, the fate of the platform was already sealed in the US and Britain. As for that video that showed Adam and Shu taking advantage of MS foot in the mouth moment...Well, it did not happen on the E3 stage, did it? You have just made my point for me. In this day and age, a simple video could do wonders for your brand...so why cling onto E3?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The PS3 killer apps took their sweet time, and by the time they started aligning, the fate of the platform was already sealed in the US and Britain. As for that video that showed Adam and Shu taking advantage of MS foot in the mouth moment...Well, it did not happen on the E3 stage, did it? You have just made my point for me. In this day and age, a simple video could do wonders for your brand...so why cling onto E3?

A video on a random day is just not going to get the outside attention e3 gets. Games get made at e3. Would watch dogs be a thing without that e3 trailer even though it was all bullshit. RE7 resurgence of the series, would it have been as effective without the e3 reveal and demo drop? Shenmue 3 being funded instantly, would it have happened as quick without e3? BOTW sweeping every E3 award and getting the most attention for an entire week, think that had nothing to do with the sales it got?

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Ok, serious this time.

So in other words they don't play well with others. Is ESA not a consortium of multiple companies attending/supporting E3? Majority even conceded to have it middle way between what Sony and EA wanted vs what others wanted and even that is not enough. At least this was the case for last year, I assume it's no different this year.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
A video on a random day is just not going to get the outside attention e3 gets. Games get made at e3. Would watch dogs be a thing without that e3 trailer even though it was all bullshit. RE7 resurgence of the series, would it have been as effective without the e3 reveal and demo drop? Shenmue 3 being funded instantly, would it have happened as quick without e3? BOTW sweeping every E3 award and getting the most attention for an entire week, think that had nothing to do with the sales it got?

Well, it will be rather easy to test that theory, now that the PS5 and its game will not be unveiled at E3. We will see how that absence and them hainv their own events planned translate into hype and sales.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said it last year and I'll say it again, last years bullshit excuse about not showing the same thing was a lie. Them not showing up this year proves that. Shawn Layden said that the ESA need to get their act together in hosting E3 and they haven't.
"I thought, I'll be honest with you guys, I think the ESA sold 15,000 consumer tickets for that and it really brought the crowd to the edge of pain," Layden said. "And I won't bore you guys with the details around that, but if you're going to design a trade show or a consumer show, those are two different beasts."

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
it's so bizarre. the secrecy is absolutely needless and extremely infuriating. they should have at least 2 exclusives out in 10 months, 3-4 in less than a year. and we havent seen them? PS5 was announced in April and no footage whatsoever? Why? i dont even want the specs anymore. they have one job, build excitement and its been nothing but teases for 9 months since april.

i was shocked to see MS show up at the vgas and show off the console and a game. it was brilliant.

these are just video games. Like miamiwesker said about movies, movies get announced as soon as a director or an actor or even a screenwriter gets attached to them. horizon 2 has been in dev for 3+ years now and they wont even acknowledge its existence. Its not a state secret. 'its just a fucking toy' as Matt so eloquently put it. Showing it off wont give MS an edge. it wont piss off gamers who know for a fact that it will be available at launch in 2020. people arent this finicky.

This is just as bad as what WB is doing with the Batman game. if you have a presser in Feb. just say so at CES when you were revealing the logo. people ate that shit up. they wont get upset at a reveal trailer.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love knowing in advance! But then again to play devils advocate, posters on these boards are consumers of game news and information as much as we are player of games. Of course we want to know. But maybe we aren't the best measures of what's good for sales.

Nintendo has traditionally followed this type of shorter announce to release type model and sells a shit ton of software. With Sony following suit, I do wonder about what the ideal hype/marketing cycle is? I wonder if Sony sees a shorter cycle as producing better software sales. We do know that announcing too far in the future can damage hype interest. Maybe keeping people focused on what is right in front of them helps sales?

Dec 31, 2017
People bashed e3 for years for being a showcase for games that are 2-3 years out, now we want e3 to go back to that?

Show a psn exclusive game during e3 before said game is out on PSN platforms? How does that work?
Game is almost out, and exclusivity is only for a year (as mentioned on game cover) so nothing preventing it from releasing elsewhere after said year of exclusivity is over.

Jun 23, 2019
I said it last year and I'll say it again, last years bullshit excuse about not showing the same thing was a lie. Them not showing up this year proves that. Shawn Layden said that the ESA need to get their act together in hosting E3 and they haven't.
"I thought, I'll be honest with you guys, I think the ESA sold 15,000 consumer tickets for that and it really brought the crowd to the edge of pain," Layden said. "And I won't bore you guys with the details around that, but if you're going to design a trade show or a consumer show, those are two different beasts."

Lol Uh no. PlayStation didn't go to E3 last year because Sony didn't have anything to show that we haven't already seen multiple times over. You are inventing an answer to a question that never existed.

Well, it will be rather easy to test that theory, now that the PS5 and its game will not be unveiled at E3. We will see how that absence and them hainv their own events planned translate into hype and sales.

Sony posting the PS5 logo became the most liked gaming IG post of all time. They are at the point where they can drop a SoP anywhere they want and the hype will follow. Just watch what happens when they have the PS Meeting.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
This is quite the pedantic argument. In this industry you'd be hard pressed to find a single AAA developer that doesn't work with development partners to get games and ports out the door. The discussion is about whether or not cross gen games can serve the old gen without compromising the new gen version. Disqualifying a prime example because a contractor was brought in is nonsense.
No one's "disqualifying" anything. You said a single developer could easily make a game for two gens that took full advantage of the newer hardware. You used Forza Horizon 2 as your example. In fact, that scenario is not what happened with FH2, so you were wrong. The actual possible choices are these:

- Crossgen games can be made by one developer, but they won't take full advantage of the nextgen platform.
- You can pay two studios to make "one" game on both platforms. Neither will be held back, but the additional expenditure isn't available for other things.
- You can pay one studio to take full advantage of the nextgen platform.

Only the last one maximizes the quality of nextgen games and the likelihood of there being more of them to choose from. Thus, when Microsoft explicitly rejects that path, they're essentially announcing less support for the next Xbox. One way or the other.

I don't recall Forza Horizon 2 owners on xb1 lamenting how resources were managed. They were too busy enjoying their commercially and critically acclaimed next gen racer. development expenses are a non issue to fans.
Fans tend to discuss what's already in the discussion zeitgeist, while ignoring topics that are less noisy. Nevertheless, whether talked about much or not, dev expenses are very much an issue if you're a game fan. They're the reason gen 8 had so many fewer AAA games release than previous gens. Forza has been reliable, but for example look at Halo. There was 3, 3: ODST, Reach, and 4 on 360, while the Xbox One will see only 5 and Infinite, as a crossgen title at the very end of the generation. They clearly could've used more resources. If Halo isn't your thing, substitute any other property (or a wish for new IP).

As such, your hypothetical scenario where crossgen development leads to a new gen project getting reduced funding is an unprovable red herring to distract from the actual argument on whether or not cross gen games can properly target each platform.
Neither the process of development FH2 went through, nor the logic of finite resources, are in any way hypothetical. You're right that we can't know what Microsoft would do with the extra resources available if they didn't spend on lastgen versions. But there's exactly zero chance they'll allocate it to nextgen games if the money is already spent. Some chance is better than none.

An observation you present without any sort of data or knowledge to suggest nextgen budgets are being negatively impacted by port costs.
All my argument requires is the knowledge that money is no longer yours if you spend it. Have you ever encountered a game that "needs more polish"? Of course. That's a situation where more resources would've helped. And if you've already put resources into ports or alternate versions, you're not reassigning them elsewhere.

Project A isnt going to see a budget increase just because project B was decided against.
That absolutely can happen. Remember these products aren't just profit drivers themselves, but also hooks to draw people into your ecosystem. (Indeed, Microsoft is notable for how important that aspect has become to their business plan.) Pushing down profit margins on a very attractive project--maybe even below zero--can thus sometimes be justified.

What exactly is your position then?
Here it is again, as concise as possible:

People who own nextgen consoles want more and better games on it. There's three approaches to development:
1. A single dev effort across two generations. But this will underutilize nextgen features, resulting in worse games.
2. Multiple devs splitting generations on a "single" game. This allows nextgen quality to increase...but costs much more, resulting in fewer or cheaper games.
3. Single dev effort solely on nextgen. This maximizes quality and minimizes cost per game.

Therefore, approach 3 is best from the point of view of a nextgen owner.

If the platform holder chooses approach 3, you're right we can't say whether they'll pocket the savings, or blow them on something we don't care for. But if they choose either other approach, some aspect will definitely suffer.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, having two devs make two different versions of the same game isn't a terrible idea at the AAA level, especially near a console launch. All the versions get the same marketing from the publisher and extra attention from the platform holders, all they have to do is slap the logo for the old version on the trailer. Hiring the last-gen version's developer to make a different game with similar resources would probably result in a more modest game since the smaller studio has to handle all of the artwork and design, and would need it's own marketing resources. Personally, I'd prefer a different game, but it might not be the most efficient way of doing things with a big publisher.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
anexanhume's guide to console renders:
Code:
        Does it have a fuck-ton of ventilation?
         ________________|___________________
         |                                  |
        Yes                                 No
         |                                  |
Could be real                        Fake as shit

Instructions unclear, ventilated myself.

Jeez. I had to do a double take and make sure I wasn't looking at re-enactments. Technology is amazing.

1900s technology, at that. Separate colour spectrum photos were taken then projected together. These are just the result of combining the original negatives digitally, they aren't colourised or touched up or anything (as far as I know).

This is the photographer himself, Sergei Prokudin-Gorskii, in all his Ultra HD glory:

Prokudin-Gorskii-12.jpg

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't find total viewership for an MS press conference to compare, but we do have peak concurrent twitch viewership (which I assume was one of the bigger sources for viewers of these events). Microsoft's 2019 conference had 1.5 million and the game awards had 1.3 million. Even with all the other methods of viewing these shows, I don't think The Game Awards was watched by more than 10 times as many people.
Really? Wow

And then there's pushing all the bells and whistles of a console that may or may not deliver on all the hype until years after launch due to no exclusives.
Personally.. I hate this.

Sony will reveal the PS5 during Superbowl. 100 million viewers. they will use either the savings from the cancelled E3 conference or take out a loan from wells fargo since they are strapped for cash.

the teaser will be 5 seconds long and will re-reveal the logo.
LOL Im not a fan of Superbowl marketing, because yes, it's going to get the biggest possible viewership numbers, but Im not sure it translates to sales as high as other comparable mediums / times. I mean, Doesn't MS usually advertise at the Superbowl? It's not not it led to them eclipsing the Switch in the months after :P Quite frankly, I think Sony needs to create the biggest advertising billboard possible, like, 100's of miles across, and try to convince Elon Musk to strap some rockets on it and blast just into orbit, so as the Earth spins on it's axis, people all over the world would view the ad once every 24 hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.