• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
In a perfect world it could be that everyone is without bias but

0prcjcn.png
He's absolutely right.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't listened yet. Does he list spec numbers he's seen or does he decline to? Thing is, the more I hear from industry insiders, the more confident I get that Oberon is/was not the final version of Sony's graphics chip.

He doesn't list specs, it's just a quick blurb while answering a question. The videos time stamped if you wanna take a quick listen.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Sony conference starts at 2 AM here in Europe...damn! :(
Oh man, 3AM over here. I'm not staying up, I just know it's going to be 2 hours of TVs and headphones.
i did the math earlier. if we assume 10% efficiency gains, and 1.7 ghz being the sweet spot for 5700xt in 2019, then they are already at 1.87 ghz (gonzalo clocks). add 7% for n7p improvements for launch and we can hit oberon 2.0 ghz clocks and even go higher to 2.1 ghz and still stay in the sweet spot for a 100-110w 36 cu gpu or a 150-160 w console.

ysplb2a3f6b31.jpg

the real question here is why would sony target ps4 and pro tdp numbers when they have a $499 budget this time around. would they really go ahead and make another $381 bom console?
Are we still pasting this irrelevant table over and over again?

Era: PS5 is easy to program for.
Also Era: Dual GPU!
Dual GPU is for PS VR 2, one per eye!

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
In reality we still know very little about XSX though. We don't have any official confirmation on any of the specs aside from vague power and speed comparisons to current gen, and the architecture. We don't know the first party and exclusive lineup aside from HI and Senua's Saga. More to the point, we have no information on its user interface, OS, service and QoL features etc. All we pretty much know is what it looks like and what it's called.

So I think it's a bit early to be saying that it's floating above water! It's just a plastic box at this point. Although they do float.
Maybe he's just going by what's been announced so far? /shrug There are still a tons of details we're missing from Sony, but what Microsoft has announced so far probably sounds more substantial to him. I'm not a mind reader, I'm just trying to explain what he could've meant with his terrible analogy.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I agree it will depend on the games and the services it provides. But Lockhart + Game Pass and putting their first-party games onto Game Pass is no doubt a big draw for people. Especially with Xbox no longer saddled by Xbox One perception. But Sony, of course, will also have a more difficult time getting Xbox gamers onto PS, since Xbox gamers are now used to Game Pass and Day 1 FP and cheap prices in general.

IMO, Getting games up to Sony's level is a lot easier than putting your games day 1 and improving your subscription service and putting it on discounts.

Gamepass being a "big draw" is something that hasn't actually been borne out in console sales.

It's available right now on the Xbox One and Xbox One X. It's made absolutely no difference in terms of Microsoft being able to move systems. We don't know what the total sales are for the Xbox family (since MS stopped releasing those numbers) but Sony has been more than forthcoming and neither the existence of the One X or Gamepass has slowed down the breakneck pace that PS4's are selling. The PS4 will end up VERY close to the PS2's final numbers, which is ridiculous given that Sony is still selling them at a $299 MSRP.

Expecting gamepass to move lockharts or scarletts when it can't move current hardware isn't realistic, imho.

Dec 8, 2018
Haven't listened yet. Does he list spec numbers he's seen or does he decline to? Thing is, the more I hear from industry insiders, the more confident I get that Oberon is/was not the final version of Sony's graphics chip.

He claims he knows the specs of the ps5 and once again call it a 1000$ (even up from his earlier 800$ estimate) machine and how he can't understand how they will get it down to acceptable price. The strange thing is that he have no problems putting a 500$ price tag on XsX.

This is Pachter but including every other insider that claims to know the specs of both basically saying the PS5 is similar or even stronger and no one backing down from those statements even after the XsX unveiling and this leak is weird. We also have our own Matt saying he is glad we stopped taking those leaks as confirmation of anything and also the fact that there were errors basically everywhere in it. The DF video sparked new interest in it but did not add anything not already discussed.

But it seems like some of our most frequent posters does not agree with what insiders have been saying and the leak is the true specs.

I am not saying anyone is wrong and the other is right just that it seems like you either trust what insiders are saying or you believe the Github tests are the real final PS5 specs.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ok? There is a clearly better, more expensive version available and a "budget friendly" version. The budget minded version of that device has moved more units because it's enough, not because it's everything.

'it has a better screen and an extra camera. It's not fasterand doesn't *do* things any better. The value offer isn't there to justify the XS (and now pro) price - it's a luxury offering if you have the money. The XR/11 is better value

thate be different from Lockhart/x1x. I get they may be aiming at people with 1080p TVs, but those people have to think how long they'll keep their TV - if they plan to update during the time they own the console maybe it's not a good choice. And they have to be comfortable that they aren't getting an 'afterthought' console - surely MS will be beating the 4K drum as hard as they can for the 1x.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
In a perfect world it could be that everyone is without bias but

0prcjcn.png
"Objectivity", "logic", and "reason" have become dog whistle words for the alt-right. Specifically, people who claim to be objective as a basis for advocating responsibility for their words.

*mocking spongebob case* "How can I be a bigot when I'm just pointing out facts?"

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Yea but the only devs that really took advantage of it are ones who are making stuff that are more paralleizable than render pipelines. There's a reason CF/SLI are all but dead in gaming

Wouldn't them being dead be mostly be due to CF/SLI being a very tiny portion of the gaming community and thus not economical to support? Say every PS5 has 2 GPUs, that's a massive player base and gives devs a reason to develop for it. Plus if Sony's tools are as good as we're hearing they are it might not require much more effort for the devs.

Plus it's worth considering that AMD will have chiplets out in the not too distant future so we could be seeing dual GPU setups become more common on PC as well

Not necessarily saying the PS5 will have dual GPUs, but it's not 100% impossible.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
Gamepass being a "big draw" is something that hasn't actually been borne out in console sales.

It's available right now on the Xbox One and Xbox One X. It's made absolutely no difference in terms of Microsoft being able to move systems. We don't know what the total sales are for the Xbox family (since MS stopped releasing those numbers) but Sony has been more than forthcoming and neither the existence of the One X or Gamepass has slowed down the breakneck pace that PS4's are selling. The PS4 will end up VERY close to the PS2's final numbers, which is ridiculous given that Sony is still selling them at a $299 MSRP.

Expecting gamepass to move lockharts or scarletts when it can't move current hardware isn't realistic, imho.

Because consumers still have the XB1 perception. That's the problem and also because it was only until 2019 where GP has started gain serious traction. But putting HI, Forza, Gears, FS, Hellsblade II Day 1 is a big draw.

Like I say don't let your bias for Sony dictate anything and after lots of comments, I still suspect that Game Pass itself as a platform will likely be the biggest subscription/streaming service/platform since the economics is so against other gaming companies that even Sony cannot overcome.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Cerny seemed to be pretty clear in the wired interview that it would be more expensive than the PS4.

JAmByzp.png

"There has always been a general range of pricing, will the PS5 be in line with that?"

"We will be able to release it at an SRP that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set."

"Meaning, that it may cost more [RELATIVE TO HOW MUCH CONSOLES TRADITIONALLY LAUNCH AT] but what you're getting is well worth it?"

"That's about all I can say about it."

The system isn't $399. Cerny pretty much spells it out here.
Did you respond to the wrong person? The $399 is my predicted price for lockhart and I agree with your take on Cerny's words .

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'm just stating the policy. I'm not it's arbiter :)

Wow, that was their official policy? Sounds asinine tbh.

It's an excuse not a reason.

Agreed. I am perfectly happy with 30 fps but that frame pacing though. Thankfully, running it on Pro's boost mode alleviates issues somewhat. FROMSoftware are the lords of not giving any fucks about frame pacing issues that have plagued each and everyone of their games sans re-releases.

c0c0suma

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
I recently got a new MacBook Pro. Playing Elder Scrolls Online on it was a revelation, but also made me want to build a dedicated gaming PC, my first. I've priced up the components: 2070 Super, i9-9900k, case, motherboard, PSU, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSD, CPU fan. The total is over £2000 (about $2600).

I know that a PC is multi-purpose, and that Microsoft get significant discounts, but how is it possible to sell a whole box for, say, £499 when I can't even buy a less powerful GPU for that kind of money? It just amazes me. Maybe a year from now, I'll be able to build a PC for a lot less, but still the price-to-performance ratio of these upcoming consoles seems phenomenal.
Reason is customize SoC. AMD provides design, asks for liscense fee, and TSMC charges MS for manufacturing, and then that's it. No more cost for SOC. It's not like that some one buys a bunch of GPU which is expensive, it's like someone bought the blueprint of the GPU&CPU, so that they can make it themselves with a much lower price. Consumer GPUs usually only sale for one or two years with profit, but consoles can sale for a much longer time, much more units, which brings down the design&liscence fee.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! I've been out of the loop almost completely on next gen stuff.

What's the current general consensus going by latest rumours, insights or leaks in terms of specs? Thanks!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Hey guys! I've been out of the loop almost completely on next gen stuff.

What's the current general consensus going by latest rumours, insights or leaks in terms of specs? Thanks!

The OP put together by Mecha Meister is pretty much where we're at. Nothing has changed since then and they did an insanely good job putting it together. I recommend reading that through. At this point, it's pretty much waiting until February or until Microsoft announces something else.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
i am pretty certain sony will reveal something at CES. After wired articles, CES seems like the most mainstream place you can reveal your console.

maybe it will just be the console with a tech demo. or maybe some specs. its a better avenue to trod out cerny than say e3 or a feb meeting which should just focus on games.
Would be nice to get some solid information.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Because consumers still have the XB1 perception. That's the problem

What "XB1 perception?" that it was $100 more expensive at launch in 2013? That hasn't been true forever. That it "wouldn't play used games?" Your average consumer has no idea about console launch drama nonsense. It's ancient history.

That the PS4 is more powerful? The Xbox One X has been on shelves for a while now and microsoft having the most powerful platform isn't up for debate.

"The problem" is that Sony is the market leader by something like 3:1, and the Xbox is a non-entity in 2/3rds of the world where Sony sells systems. THAT'S the problem microsoft needs to overcome, and as of yet they have not articulated a clear way around this. And no, Gamepass isn't it.

and also because it was only until 2019 where GP has started gain serious traction. But putting HI, Forza, Gears, FS, Hellsblade II Day 1 is a big draw.

Like I say don't let your bias for Sony dictate anything and after lots of comments, I still suspect that Game Pass and Xbox itself as a platform will likely be the biggest subscription/streaming service and platform since the economics is so against other gaming companies that even Sony cannot overcome.

whether or not gamepass itself ends up being a successful streaming service is a completely different issue than whether it-as a service-can move consoles.
There's no data we have anywhere that shows it had a meaningful impact on moving Xboxes, or slowing down the rate at which consumers are buying PS4s. Not in 2019 or any other year.

In fact the opposite is true. Gamepass being present on PC means that one does not need to buy an Xbox to play Xbox exclusive games.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The OP put together by Mecha Meister is pretty much where we're at. Nothing has changed since then and they did an insanely good job putting it together. I recommend reading that through. At this point, it's pretty much waiting until February or until Microsoft announces something else.

Ok, thanks!

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
i am pretty certain sony will reveal something at CES. After wired articles, CES seems like the most mainstream place you can reveal your console.

maybe it will just be the console with a tech demo. or maybe some specs. its a better avenue to trod out cerny than say e3 or a feb meeting which should just focus on games.

they may - but a wired article during a quiet period, which will naturally be then reported worldwide via news/blog sites, is very different than during one of the noisiest news periods for tech sites.

CES has been relatively quiet recently and isn't exactly reported heavily in the mainstream news though, so a ps5 reveal of some kind may be able to punch through and get enough air

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
$250 is a phenomenal price for Lockhart. That would be very generous of MS considering it will still have a Zen 2 CPU, SSD, etc.
$250 is a mindblowing price to think about
$250 is a phenomenal price for Lockhart. That would be very generous of MS considering it will still have a Zen 2 CPU, SSD, etc.
$250 is insane to think about considering what the xbox one x currently goes for. That's impulse buy territory.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018

The Whole Gamepass is still very new and need alot of time to grow and the direction might change. With growing exciting 3rd party games and big budget blockbusters, Gamepass will have challenges to maintain new content every month. And the quality of the games will be questioned too. Who knows , MS might get all next gen Launch games on GP but i highly doubt it.
Matter of fact that 3rd party also can start and have started subscription service is a bit gray future.

I swear I typed the same thing and was about to post it but I decided otherwise. 😂
had my second thought too but couldn't help myself out , hehe

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
I'd be pretty upset if sony had any real info or announcements for PS5 during CES. I wont watch that show but I want to see the announcement of the PS5 live. I feel it would kinda cheat me out of that

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
In a world where PS5 is 2-4 TS's below XSX, I see $399 as a realistic price for PS5.

Sony was taking around $60 loss on the $400 PS4 at launch.

I expect the PS5 to cost Sony around $550-$600 landed at launch (mainly because of the SSD). They would take a $50 to $100 loss on each unit.

At $399, Sony would take a $150 to $200 loss with each unit. That would be triple the PS4 loss.

Is it unprecedented? No. PS3 cost almost $800 landed and Sony took $300 losses for initial units, which is utterly insane. I simply do not see Sony taking over $100 loss, much less $150 or $200.

It would be a crazy power move though! I'd love to see that :D

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be pretty upset if sony had any real info or announcements for PS5 during CES. I wont watch that show but I want to see the announcement of the PS5 live. I feel it would kinda cheat me out of that

I'm guessing at most a teaser for the PS Meeting. Klee said Feb for the meeting so I'll stick with that for now.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Why is everyone getting so fired up about that Tom Warren tweet? To me it literally comes off as a shitty joke about the frame of the reveal trailer he posted, where the console is shown floating over water. It's not a dig at PS, it's just a sarcastic "XSX so good it floats!" Post. Chill fam. I know most here aren't console warriors but I feel some go too far the other way and see even slight attempts at humour (whether you find it funny or not) as warring.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
CES reveal might not be completely impossible because of Microsoft. If Sony don't reveal until Feb they're giving MS over two months of dominating the next gen chatter. XSX is out there now. Every day that goes by unanswered by Sony is positive PR and limelight for MS.
Not to mention all the negative PR Sony is getting from the TF leak going mainstream.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why is everyone getting so fired up about that Tom Warren tweet? To me it literally comes off as a shitty joke about the frame of the reveal trailer he posted, where the console is shown floating over water. It's not a dig at PS, it's just a sarcastic "XSX so good it floats!" Post. Chill fam. I know most here aren't console warriors but I feel some go too far the other way and see even slight attempts at humour (whether you find it funny or not) as warring.

To be fair to most in this thread, they didn't get fired up. One or two people, including myself, did. I don't think it's fair to paint it as everyone. Especially if you're asking people to chill.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The Whole Gamepass is still very new

Gamepass has been around since 2017. Day and Date games to Gamepass has been a thing since Sea of Thieves in March 2018.

It is, if my calendar is correct, now January of 2020. Gamepass is not a new service, it is well established. And we still have zero evidence at all that the service is effective at moving consoles.

Is it successful at whatever plan Microsoft has for it? Probably, who knows. They seem to be all-in on the idea. But there is no sales data anywhere from Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo or otherwise that shows the existence of Gamepass has had any effect on console sales. PS4s and Switches are still flying off of shelves, the Xbox not so much.

edit: EA Access is another example- that service came about in 2014, but didn't show up on a Sony console until June of 2019. It made absolutely no difference that the Xbox had both EA Access and Gamepass available for years while Sony did not- the PS4 roundly outsold the Xbox One through those years regardless.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the SAD already $250? How on earth is Microsoft gonna price a next gen sku, even if it's a low end sku, the same price as their current gen box?
$299 is already insane for 3.2 GHz 8C/16t CPU with 4.2 TF GPU w/ fixed function RTRT and VRS custom APU Featuring NVME SSD, presumably with a controller.

All this low price and also with similar perf as their current industry leading 1X $499 MSRP flagship model. All coming to you launch 2020 alongside a $499 model that features 3x the perf at less than 2X the price!

color me skeptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.