• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
MS isn't going to decide which game is XSX exclusive and which is cross-gen months before the game comes out. MS already knows right now all of their game portfolio until at least 2022, they know what is exclusive to XSX and what is cross-gen. It doesn't matter if XSX sells 4 million units in its first year or 20 million, that's not the type of decision you make last minute or even a year before a game launches. For instance, Hellblade 2 which just started development according to MS, is probably XSX only.

IMO Forza Horizon 5 is XSX only because it's an open-world game and a showcase from one of their best teams. It's also coming out ~1 year after XSX launch, so it's a time period that fits XSX exclusivity according to the Booty quote.

I'd put money on both Forza's being either next gen only, or the XB1 versions being spun off onto another dev as a reskin of a previous version or down port.

Playground use Turn 10's engine so they'll likely be second out of the gate after Forza 8, and Turn 10 surely will be touting AI, Physics and Ray Tracing only possible on next generation CPU and GPUs.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Not saying there's any credibility to this new "dump," but how are you so sure the email originated from a resetera post?

Someone joked here about it, in a twitter post earlier about 18tf, it was meant as a joke. This guy's source is basically pastebin/resetera. The more we post about these fake twitter insiders the more it gives them notice and a platform. I just ignore it.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Someone joked here about it, in a twitter post earlier about 18tf, it was meant as a joke. This guy's source is basically pastebin/resetera. The more we post about these fake twitter insiders the more it gives them notice and a platform. I just ignore it.
Hopefully these guys just lose all credibility anyway when they are found to be frauds. I don't see an issue with posting their stuff if it comes back on them in a big way when it's proven to be a fake leak that should never have been posted.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully these guys just lose all credibility anyway when they are found to be frauds. I don't see an issue with posting their stuff if it comes back on them in a big way when it's proven it to be a fake leak that should never have been posted.
Tidux, MisterX, and Marcus Sellers still have a following despite being proven wrong time and time again. Posting them only gives them more reach since people just want to be told what they want to hear.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, there's like 0.02% chance that AMD releases a GPU even approaching 18TF this year, let alone using such a product as a placeholder part in a devkit for a console that will supposedly end up in the 13-14TF range.

I mean, why do people who fake this sort of stuff always go too far with their nonsense?

Feb 10, 2018
I don't know why users are trying to convince themselves that commitment to cross gen development is no big deal. You can't just scale everything without decisions that will effect the grand scope.

Imagine designing a next generation game with the intention to support a Jaguar CPU, 1.3 GCN TF, and DDR3 in 2020.

PlayStation's onus should be to demonstrate software built from the ground up on the foundation of the SSD and Zen processor - we should have clear and present indications of what the virtues of the hardware are.

It's premature to make a determination on weather an extended cross gen period will be a good or bad idea. And it's also just a commitment for 1-2yrs, which is not normally the best work from first parties.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I'm just saying that if Game Pass and subscription services in general turn out to be the next big thing and profitable in the long run, it will always be better for Sony to make the needed changes to PS Now than put Game Pass on Playstation just because PS Now already exists and the investment has been made. I just don't see any other sensical decision for Sony.
I don't think there is only one future. Yes, I think that subscription services will continue to grow. Yes, maybe, streaming services will also grow. But it doesn't mean console will become irrelevant.

I think Sony will continue to sell consoles on which people buy games, play F2P games and subscribe to services (EA Access, Uplay+, Xbox Game Pass). I think Microsoft will stop to sell consoles and will only focus on Xbox Game Pass.

If it happens, both companies would continue to grow. Sony, because they would sell more consoles without their main competitor. Microsoft, because they would focus on what they are better.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, there's like 0.02% chance that AMD releases a GPU even approaching 18TF this year, let alone using such a product as a placeholder part in a devkit for a console that will supposedly end up in the 13-14TF range.

I mean, why do people who fake this sort of stuff always go too far with their nonsense?
Sony's devkits also rarely have extra power and an extra 4-5tflops is absolutely overkill even if they opted to this time. The Xbox One X devkits only have an extra 500gflops.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
What I think is kinda funny though is that the same people who say all tweets from certain folks should be banned also can't resist reading them/commenting on those tweets.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh..I saw that. I obviously take this all with a large grain of salt. I just want a spec reveal in a month.

I mean really " I can say that the GitHub leak does NOT concern the APU of Playstation 5, but only the next production dedicated to the PC/Mobile sector that AMD has scheduled since 2020 following. In particular, the frequencies in the leak serve as a stress test to determine the maximum frequency point of the chip."

What does the PC/Mobile sector have to do with clocks and CUs matching PS4 and PS4 Pro. Why the heck would anyone ever decide to test those CUs and clocks. What Navi chip will ever have a maximum frequency of 911 mhz.

Even if someone doesn't think that the Github leak is the final chip, this is an awful attempt to hand waive it by making something up.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sometimes patents will change from application to granted, will be updated with innocuous text, appear in different countries' databases, or even have the text copied mostly with a different title.

This particular patent first appeared as viewable in 2018 and has been discussed at length.
But the essence of the patent can not change from application to grant. They are often amended or the scope of the patent Claims is narrowed after the review process and/or Opposition proceedings, but the scope can never be broader than in the application. At least that's the European patent law.

Oct 28, 2017
I have a question and I'm sure people have speculated on it already but please forgive me:

Knowing that Series X will support BC with Xbox One, and many titles will be cross-gen, what is likely to happen if you put a disc copy of the Xbox One version of say, Halo Infinite in the Series X? Will it play just like the Xbox One X version? Will the disc contain both versions/ will the Series X download a patch to upgrade it to the Series X version? I guess if you went the Game Pass route this whole question would be moot but I'm just interested.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Sony's devkits also rarely have extra power and an extra 4-5tflops is absolutely overkill even if they opted to this time. The Xbox One X devkits only have an extra 500gflops.

Whilst TF number is a portion of the overall pie (perhaps one of the largest), I am curious to know what is your prediction on that front and that front alone for PS5 (be it a range or singular figure)?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish that we could, in the spirit of making this thread easier to follow, make it a rule that every new rumor / potential info is highlighted somehow, and tagged with "credible", "don't know if credible", or "not credible" based on the source.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I have a question and I'm sure people have speculated on it already but please forgive me:

Knowing that Series X will support BC with Xbox One, and many titles will be cross-gen, what is likely to happen if you put a disc copy of the Xbox One version of say, Halo Infinite in the Series X? Will it play just like the Xbox One X version? Will the disc contain both versions/ will the Series X download a patch to upgrade it to the Series X version? I guess if you went the Game Pass route this whole question would be moot but I'm just interested.
If it's one sku, it will get a series x patch.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

I asked this question earlier. Someone responded that Gamepass automatically upgrades a game to the full capabilities of the console being used. If that's the case, I can't see MS making OWNERS of these games pay to upgrade them.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Nah, I'm expecting to be happy enough with what I'll get within a year of the PS5's launch.
Some games might not utilize the full potential of the new console but even 50-70% will be enough to show significant strides compared to this gen.
Oh yeah I'm right there with you but the person I was responding to was saying how he or she didn't want to spend 500 on a console that had cross gen In the first year which is gonna happen with both imo thus the disappointment

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
Until the reveal, I'm gonna consider that the PS5 is 9.2Tflops so that I won't be disappointed. Keeping one's expectations in check is the best way to be pleasantly surprised.

Joo

May 25, 2018
I don't think there is only one future. Yes, I think that subscription services will continue to grow. Yes, maybe, streaming services will also grow. But it doesn't mean console will become irrelevant.

I think Sony will continue to sell consoles on which people buy games, play F2P games and subscribe to services (EA Access, Uplay+, Xbox Game Pass). I think Microsoft will stop to sell consoles and will only focus on Xbox Game Pass.

If it happens, both companies would continue to grow. Sony, because they would sell more consoles without their main competitor. Microsoft, because they would focus on what they are better.

Might be. I just think that if your prediction turns out to be correct, it would still be better for Sony to focus on PS Now. It's not like having a subscription service that's already in place would really negatively affect Sony and their focus on what they do best, because this kind of platform will most likely be a big part of gaming as a whole.

Adding to that, Sony wouldn't have too much control over Game Pass and its content, and that's too easily fixed just by offering your own service.

Microsoft will also continue to need some kind of easy-to-use device for living rooms with a controller even if it would only have a subscription based nature, and I don't see them relying only on other manufacturers just because there will definitely always be competing subscription services.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe

It will play the XSX version, just like it is now with X1X.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I don't see the difference between a game sold (on which Sony has 30% of the revenue) and a game available in a subscription service (Sony would have 30% of the revenue of this subscription fee).

And, again, no: Game Pass and PlayStation Now aren't direct competitors. They are two different services.
You are either mixing your services up, or you are being difficult.

For starters, the difference between PSnow and Gamepass/Xcloud, is that currently PSnow is doing with one service that MS is doing with two services. But Xcloud isn't really a thing yet, so chances are high that it gets merged into Gamepas. Xcloud is just an MS version of game streaming. Gamepass is their subscription instant game library service.

Those two things combined = PSnow.

Now a game sold on the PSN, or directly on a sony platform; yes, sony gets 30% (or whatever) on that. A game available in a subscription service is not in any way of the same business model. Sony doesn't get 30% of a subscription fee from Netflix and is sure as hell not getting 30% from any subscription fee paid to MS for "their" service just because it's on a PS platform. That's just not how it works. Why? Cause the app itself is free. What you are paying for is the service. You don't pay a dime to download Netflix, amazon prime, Hulu, PSnow...etc. what you pay for is the service. And that payment is usually done through the app directly or the apps own external portal, not PSN.

And can't you see the fallacy in what you are saying? Sony already has (and is pushing) their own game streaming + IGL subscription service. Already rolled into one (which is something MS is yet to do). What sense does it make for sony to inadvertently kill off their own service, and support MS service in the biggest way possible by letting its massive userbase have access to the MS service on a PlayStation platform?

Do you know what is really crazy? you are more likely sooner to see MS games on the PlayStation store or in PSnow, than you would see Gamepass/Xcloud on a PlayStation platform. Hell, you are sooner to see some sony published games on gamepass (for PC) than an MS service on PlayStation.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Whilst TF number is a portion of the overall pie (perhaps one of the largest), I am curious to know what is your prediction on that front and that front alone for PS5 (be it a range or singular figure)?
I straight up have no idea with all the conflicting information we've gotten and the seemingly impossible features that have been confirmed (RT, NVME SSDs). My prediction was around 10.5 before the Series X spec leak and the Github leak. Now I feel like it could be anywhere between 9 and 13 depending on if Sony targets $399 or $499. I have a feeling that we won't know until Sony wants us to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.