• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
It's a key question, I think if the range of motion can actually be restricted, full-stop, as well as the resistance to motion, it would make it a lot more versatile.

There are a lot of different patents from Sony describing at least a couple of different implementation techniques for these. The one that seems closest to a dualshock configuration suggests it can indeed restrict the range of motion of the trigger, and that you can set a 'target position' for the trigger along its angle of motion.

Some more here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ne...ly-fan-noise-and-hot-air.129193/post-25379009

But we will have to see exactly when there's more hands-on or confirmed info about the DS5. There's a bit of subtlety to these different capabilities that might not immediately be obvious for a journalist, for example, to check in their first hands-on.

Great post, thanks for the link.

I'm even more excited now.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Sounds awesome.

How strong do you reckon the resistance could be? Could it stop the trigger half way or is it just changing how much pressure is required to press it in fully?

I reckon people are underestimating how cool this is going to be.

I'm an Xbox guy as I prefer social gaming with my friends to SP experiences and Microsoft seems to cater better to that, but I do agree about these triggers, they sound absolutely great. I think it's unlikely we'll see Microsoft rip them off for launch, but I hope we do further down the line. I want to feel that trigger pull in Halo.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I'm an Xbox guy as I prefer social gaming with my friends to SP experiences and Microsoft seems to cater better to that, but I do agree about these triggers, they sound absolutely great. I think it's unlikely we'll see Microsoft rip them off for launch, but I hope we do further down the line. I want to feel that trigger pull in Halo.

Yeah, image sniping Elites. The trigger resistance increases as you pull the trigger slowly. Then the trigger goes completely loose and the haptics kick in as you get the audio\visual feedback of the head shot.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Old? This patent application from Sony popped up today/yesterday, filed by a number of people, including a creative director at Japan Studio, the producer of Astrobot.

It mostly talks about the use of adaptive triggers in concert with other features of the controller.

It talks about two applications:

The first, a climbing mechanic where the left and right triggers correspond to your character's hands. The gamepad is tilted toward grips on the vertical surface, and the user pulls the corresponding left or right trigger to grasp the next grip. If you pull too lightly, the character won't be able to hold on and will fall. If you pull too strongly on the trigger, the grip might damage and break off. The grip strength can vary per grip. The left or right vibration can impart to the user the state of the grip along with visual cues etc.

The second, an object cutting mechanic. The gamepad is tilted to control the angle of, for example, an electric circular saw relative to a target object. When not in contact with an object, the vibration and audio from the controller speaker can impart an idle state in the saw. You controller the saw motor with a trigger. When you tilt the saw into contact with the object, the vibration can indicate the contact and the start of the cut. You pull the trigger to activate the saw and start cutting into the object. A force is applied back against the motion of the trigger that depends on the material of the object - wood might impart small resistive force, stone might impart strong resistive force. As you cut through the object, the vibration in the grips also changes vs the saw idle state. When you finally cut clear through the object, the trigger resistance gives way to nothing, and the controller sound and vibration return to the saw idle state. The idea being to basically give you a different sense of resistance while cutting through different objects, and the sense of breaking through when you finish the cut.

This is going to be great for ps5 games. Where it will excell is VR. Thanks for posting the summaries, hate wading through those patents.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Do we really believe that Sony is going to try to sell a pricey next gen console and release all of their first party studio games on PC day one?

I agree with a theory posted earlier that Sony is going to bring certain first-party games to PC around a year before their sequels come out on PS5, thus drawing PC gamers over to the PS ecosystem because they can't wait for the sequel to come to PC.

Nov 11, 2017
Do we really believe that Sony is going to try to sell a pricey next gen console and release all of their first party studio games on PC day one?
Day one? No sony doesn't have the infrastructure right now to support that( own store, one game wrapper for porting to win32 etc) will they in the future absolutely, platforms are becoming agnostic.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

I think if Jaffe's comments are correct and we're less than 4 weeks from a PS meeting, then that suggested 5th or 12th Feb. If 5th Feb then invites should go out by next Tuesday/Wednesday. If the 12th then they may not go out until the end of Jan.

So we still don't really know and that was just one tweet that could be guessing. It does feel like things are starting to leak a bit more though which might suggest an imminent presentation (Horizon, PS France updating the DS5 info etc)

CypressFX

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
Still talking to a Mod its slow going around here but its the main reason I haven't really been posting. Won't matter what anyone has to say in a few weeks anyways.
Is it still like you said on January 1st: a month a week and a couple of days? 😇

I hope that this hasnt changed at all, since the wait is way too long.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Still talking to a Mod its slow going around here but its the main reason I haven't really been posting. Won't matter what anyone has to say in a few weeks anyways.

Do you think we'll get game announcements in a few weeks. Or a specs blowout?

I realize you're not verified yet, but would better curious where you think it could end up.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
It was a launched title very different from others game of the series.
And we know GG took 6 years to make HZD, which means there was a team on Shadow Fall and a team on HZD. So that makes sense.

That's why we can still have a KZ at launch (maybe MP only GaaS title with Battle Royal) and Horizon sequel not so long after.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
After looking at Sony's moves, I am on 8-9TFs train now. I want to be surprised but my guts are telling me so.

$399-449 and 8-9TFs.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Day one? No sony doesn't have the infrastructure right now to support that( own store, one game wrapper for porting to win32 etc) will they in the future absolutely, platforms are becoming agnostic.

Concurrent release on Sony's part makes zero sense this gen. In the future, sure MS and Sony, and even Nintendo are just going to be service platforms like Netflix. But there is literally no reason for Sony to go full on with that this gen.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
After looking at Sony's moves, I am on 8-9TFs train now. I want to be surprised but my guts are telling me so.

$399-449 and 8-9TFs.
Yeah I think this is pretty likely. Sony is a consumer electronics company... they design stuff for their main market audience. Their main fanbase is not the premium console buyers. TBH I think 8-9 TF and a great CPU and an SSD will be really good specs for what they aim to achieve.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
There's no reason to think these new controllers won't be supported on Windows. Halo is on Windows, too.

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I saw a potential leak (albeit I do not give much credibility to it) on a french tech/gaming site (I don't know if I can put the link) saying a few things about PS5:

- PS meeting on february the 5th in NYC (the 5th could be fitting for the 5th playstation)
- Console releasing in october 2020 for 449 Euros
- Full backward compatibility (from PS1 to 4)
- 10 TFLOPS

While I believe the meeting could take place on the 5th, releasing in october seems to soon to be true (not even talking about full BC because I don't think it's worth it on a commercial standpoint).

The price is what I'm personnaly expecting but I know many of you don't believe in price that are not round (300, 400 or 500).

The "leak" originated from 4chan so it might have already been discussed here. Sorry if that's the case.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I think this is pretty likely. Sony is a consumer electronics company... they design stuff for their main market audience. Their main fanbase is not the premium console buyers. TBH I think 8-9 TF and a great CPU and an SSD will be really good specs for what they aim to achieve.

I mean the same assertion could be made for MS. They aren't primarily a premium consumer goods company by any means either - although like Sony in their various fields they do have higher end products. But no more so than Sony.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I saw a potential leak (albeit I do not give much credibility to it) on a french tech/games site (I don't know if I can put the link) saying a few things about PS5:

- PS meeting on february the 5th in NYC (the 5th could be fitting for the 5th playstation)
- 10 TFLOPS

While I believe the meeting could take place on the 5th, releasing in october seems to soon to be true (not even talking about full BC because I don't think it's worth it on a commercial standpoint).

The price is what I'm personnaly expecting but I know many of you don't believe in price that are not round (300, 400 or 500).

The "leak" originated from 4chan so it might have already been discussed here. Sorry if that's the case.

I'm always skeptical when i see a leak with a price. Like, how many people in the WORLD know how Sony will price it?

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I saw a potential leak (albeit I do not give much credibility to it) on a french tech/gaming site (I don't know if I can put the link) saying a few things about PS5:

- 10 TFLOPS

Price is the last thing that's going to be announced.

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Osiris is droping some heavy hints on a game on the old site...

If half of it come true, we are in for a treat this new-gen

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

- 10 TFLOPS

That leak also said sony would be at E3 2020.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Concurrent release on Sony's part makes zero sense this gen. In the future, sure MS and Sony, and even Nintendo are just going to be service platforms like Netflix. But there is literally no reason for Sony to go full on with that this gen.

The irony here is that Netflix has furiously been producing first party exclusive content for a long time now because being a "service platform" wasn't a viable long term strategy.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Yes I think people forget that Windows is Microsoft platform so they're still in the ecosystem. Zero sense for Sony to release games day one on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.