• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
|OT10| Stuck in Soony time.

Also those adaptive triggers sound promising. Does Xbox have them, or going to have?

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
I welcome our new platform agnostic future personally believe regardless of where the games are people would still play on the devices they choose. It's not just the games it's the services, accessories, cost, and features as well. People who are console gamers and like a specific service and controller will choose that platform regardless of where you could play the games. I personally believe those who think Sony porting their games to PC is somehow the end of anything are a bit dramatic.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I saw a potential leak (albeit I do not give much credibility to it) on a french tech/gaming site (I don't know if I can put the link) saying a few things about PS5:

- PS meeting on february the 5th in NYC (the 5th could be fitting for the 5th playstation)
- Console releasing in october 2020 for 449 Euros
- Full backward compatibility (from PS1 to 4)
- 10 TFLOPS

While I believe the meeting could take place on the 5th, releasing in october seems to soon to be true (not even talking about full BC because I don't think it's worth it on a commercial standpoint).

The price is what I'm personnaly expecting but I know many of you don't believe in price that are not round (300, 400 or 500).

The "leak" originated from 4chan so it might have already been discussed here. Sorry if that's the case.

No. People don't like when I post from his gaming youtube channel but he was basing it on the false 4chan leak which has been proven to be wrong beacuse knowing so much stuff like dates and prices and games but later he focuses on how Sony gonna talk more about those features during E3. He knew all those things but not that Sony won't attend E3? This waht nullifies all that leak.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 2 is a perfect example of game that went with more dynamic nature.

I want that.

Yeah, there's always the chance they'll take a wide- linear game and go wider...

I wonder if there's still a market for more hard-linear games and if so, how will developers tap into it while still taking advantage of the extra power

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Old? This patent application from Sony popped up today/yesterday, filed by a number of people, including a creative director at Japan Studio, the producer of Astrobot.

It mostly talks about the use of adaptive triggers in concert with other features of the controller.

It talks about two applications:

The first, a climbing mechanic where the left and right triggers correspond to your character's hands. The gamepad is tilted toward grips on the vertical surface, and the user pulls the corresponding left or right trigger to grasp the next grip. If you pull too lightly, the character won't be able to hold on and will fall. If you pull too strongly on the trigger, the grip might damage and break off. The grip strength can vary per grip. The left or right vibration can impart to the user the state of the grip along with visual cues etc.

The second, an object cutting mechanic. The gamepad is tilted to control the angle of, for example, an electric circular saw relative to a target object. When not in contact with an object, the vibration and audio from the controller speaker can impart an idle state in the saw. You controller the saw motor with a trigger. When you tilt the saw into contact with the object, the vibration can indicate the contact and the start of the cut. You pull the trigger to activate the saw and start cutting into the object. A force is applied back against the motion of the trigger that depends on the material of the object - wood might impart small resistive force, stone might impart strong resistive force. As you cut through the object, the vibration in the grips also changes vs the saw idle state. When you finally cut clear through the object, the trigger resistance gives way to nothing, and the controller sound and vibration return to the saw idle state. The idea being to basically give you a different sense of resistance while cutting through different objects, and the sense of breaking through when you finish the cut.

Amazing features indeed. These sound like first person or VR types of games. I don't think any normal game would use triggers to climb a ledge and each trigger corresponds to one hand.

Last edited:

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
No. People don't liek when I post from his gaming youtube channel but he was basing it on the false 4chan leak which has been proven to be wrong beacuse knowing so much stuff like dates and prices and games but later he focuses on how Sony gonna talk more about those features during E3. He knew all those things but not that Sony won't attend E3? This waht nullifies all that leak.

I didn't see this "leak" on 4chan, just on the site I mentionned which did not talk about anything E3 related, otherwise I would have known for sure that this is fake. Anyway now I know (but as I said I didn't gave much credibility to this to begin with).

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing features indeed. These sounds like first person or VR types of games. I don't think any normal game would use triggers to climb a ledge and each trigger corresponds to one hand.

Yeah, the climbing example is very VR-ish. I read the whole thing imagining a next-gen Astrobot tbh! Not least because of the names on the application.

The 'cutting' mechanics could be more widely applicable - to any games with melee combat for example, sword play etc.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
So any chance for MS to offer gamepass for PS users?

I'm sure they'd be happy to, but it would most likely be via Xcloud. I think for Gamepass to be natively on the console, games would need to be ported over? Third party games aside of course.

Though Sony would also need to approve this.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the climbing example is very VR-ish. I read the whole thing imagining a next-gen Astrobot tbh! Not least because of the names on the application.

The 'cutting' mechanics could be more widely applicable - to any games with melee combat for example, sword play etc.

Imagine a fishing game man. It will be harder than real life fishing. XD

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's actually quite funny - a Microsoft Windows platform now is the best way to play this Playstation game. But I think it's good if more people experience this fantastic game... when I only think of those high-tech vaults and that dinosaur hunting, yummy.
A port that isn't even officially announced is automatically superior to the console version?

We at least need to see how much effort Sony puts into this. Unlike MS, DirectX isn't part of their API stack at all.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I think Sony would only do that if MS got out of the hardware business. But it would be great for consumers.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
It would make the PS5 the place to play Xbox and PS5 exclusives. A viable option to a PC. They would strengthen their hardware advantage even more while giving up some control over services.
Do you know what PS makes the most of there money from?
Game sales from physical and Playstation store, putting Gamepass on PS would eat into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.