• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
So one insider saying xsx is better the other saying ps5 is better

Both within 15%

I think at this point it's time to put up the info being teased

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
ariel was the 36 cu navi part. its the gpu part of the apu.

if sony had this in 2017 or even 2018, it confirms the rumors that navi was created for sony. they had the very first chip amd taped out and were testing it right alongside AMD's own testing. you are assuming that these chips went out for devkits way back in 2017 or even 2018. no, this is internal testing done for r&d, not for dev kits.

its entirely possible that this was the chip that was going to be in the ps5 in 2017. but rumors suggest that the plans for a 2019 launch were scrapped in 2017. that doesnt mean amd had the bigger chip ready for them to test in 2017. navi 10 didnt come out until mid 2019. so sony continued to test the chip they had.
AMS doesn't produce these APUs like they are crisps. These things cost money... you just don't produce test ones for "fun".

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Oh don't worry. I'm still around.

Just lurking in the background allowing people to say things they will regret later.

For now.
I'm not familiar with your history, can you talk? no NDA? or do you not have any new info?

It's kind of weird right now where the DF thread about a weaker PS5 has got a lot of attention, too much attention I'd say, while this thread keeps talking about a whole other scenario where they're closer or PS5 more powerful.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just lurking in the background allowing people to say things they will regret later.

For now.
lol they wont regret shit. they were already proven wrong when MS revealed a 12 tflops rdna gpu and not a single one of them showed any humility.

i mean this isnt a contest. so its not like i am expecting people to be apologizing for getting predictions wrong but the way they went about discrediting, mocking and dismissing any lofty double digit predictions always rubbed me the wrong way.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

For now.
👍
Sorry, that wasn't directed at you -- I just didn't feel like splitting into two posts
No worries
Those "fake" ID numbers have nothing to do with consoles. Hate to burst the bubble.
it was spoiler tagged with, I'm kidding. The whole thing is a gag.
I knew star wars is relevant to real life this makes all to much sense for this thread
Your overconfidence will be your undoing
Your faith in your friends will be yours
haha

Oct 25, 2017
Feb 26, 2018
This thread title doesn't talk about "winning", it talks about specs speculation... not sure why this winning is always dragged into it.
Because price and predicted sales is the factors that really influence designs of HW.
Lockhart exist to sell consoles. It's 200-300$ to be a mass market product. PS5 may be 400$ to be more powerful but not that expensive. SeX could be a 500$ beast to get hardcore on board from the start.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AMS doesn't produce these APUs like they are crisps. These things cost money... you just don't produce test ones for "fun".
this is such a bizarre post. you have to invest money when making new chips. you think they are testing navi chips using vega cards? these are internal AMD tests and they are running tests internally. R&D literally stands for Research and development. Not just research.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

For now.

giphy-24.gif

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't deny the chance of deactivated CUs. Makes sense. But for the moment I leave the door open with none. The good thing is I don't have to be correct with my prediction. If it is in the ballpark where they all land, I am already okay with it.
But I deny your original conclusion where I responded to.
Also deactivated 8 CUs, that must be a hell of a bad yield to consider the cost increase for an even bigger SOC.

Oct 25, 2017
Because the 9.2TF chip being real does not mean it's the final chip. The Xbox figures also match with what Klee said, and according to him the PS5 is stronger, so we're still in Schroedinger's APU.
I don't know why this is complicated either.

The Github stuff is real. It doesn't necessarily tell us anything about what will be in the final version of PS5.

I don't think that is difficult to grasp.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I don't deny the chance of deactivated CUs. Makes sense. But for the moment I leave the door open with none. The good thing is I don't have to be correct with my prediction. If it is in the ballpark where they all land, I am already okay with it.
But I deny your original conclusion where I responded to.
Also deactivated 8 CUs, that must be a hell of a bad yield to consider the cost increase for an even bigger SOC.
Well they must be deactivated in pairs so I think the chance at a bad WG essentially doubles. That's just my guess though. I don't imagine a WG can operate at 50% capacity basically. Also if we consider % of whole chip wise, it is very close to 36/40, ie 5700/5700XT. (87.5 vs 90 %).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Serkan Toto also claims both will be really close, more than any gen.
Klee will get his golden statue.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Multiple people have stated they believe the XSX will be more powerful. Only one person has come out and said the PS5 will be more powerful.... so take that as you will.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
This is confirmed information? Are you certain that Ariel was an APU and not a platform?

Again, there's really no reason to tape in a specific APU for test or development when there is plenty of PC hardware out there that can emulate a similar setup and is so much cheaper and faster to mock up. And it doesn't tie up the APU development team for months to tape in a product that will never be sold.
I don't say it's confirmed because Sony won't officially reveal the information.

The Ariel in 2017 is leaked by Aquariuszi who gave the accurate size of Navi 10.

Ariel is a SOC for sure because his work is mainly verification.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Multiple people have stated they believe the XSX will be more powerful. Only one person has come out and said the PS5 will be more powerful.... so take that as you will.
Reiner, Colin, Klee all said PS5 is more powerful.

Tom Warren is the only one who said Scarlett might be more possible and that too if its more expensive.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
For the record, if PS5 comes in more powerful than Xbox, I dont regret anything I've said. I'm not apologizing to anyone about my predictions. It changes my life not at all. Fact that speculation over what megacorporations are doing with plastic toys is being taken personally is ridiculous and embarrassing. This should be fun. Nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.