• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
It's not just that companies like Nintendo and Sony don't "need" E3, it's that having a fixed timeframe with the expectation that you'll have a bunch of announcements to fill a keynote slot - no matter where you are in your development cycle for games - is a huge pain and doesn't actually work well. Developers have complained for years now that stopping everything to make an E3 demo actively interferes with the process of making games, whereas scheduling reveals and trailers when the game is in the right stage to start that kind of publicity generation makes a whole bunch more sense.

Just like releasing every game the week before Black Friday is an idiotic and sub-optimal model, announcing every game in June is equally pointless. It's time for the industry to move on and make appropriate use of the information dissemination vehicles that are now available.

lol I agree and actually implied that in the following lines, but maybe you quoted me before before I finished editing

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Sony likely just want all eyes on PS5 when its announce. Why spend all that money on r&d only to share the next gen spotlight with other competing products at 1 show in LA?
Seems they are becoming more consolidated with the PS brand as a whole.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
they can afford it financially but not content wise. they clearly dont have enough game demos and trailers for two separate conferences.

I don't think this is the reason for their decision. I don't see how they could have so little to show that they can only hold one event. They have been working towards the next gen for a very long time.
I think there is another reason but what it is i don't know and who knows if we will find out.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I wasn't a problem with ps4 and earlier consoles, why is it a problem in 2020 ?

Because it ain't 2013 anymore? I mean, that product reveal model was outdated in 2013 already, by Sony's own admission. Also, just because "it worked" the last time, doesn't mean there aren't better ways to do it.

I mean, there's a reason why Apple stopped attending these trade and consumer events completely. Think about it.

Last edited:

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm hoping for a big blowout event. It's more fun that way!

But, the year is young and we'll find out everything sooner or later.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.. let's be honest. MS had 40 million plus people watch their Series X reveal at the Game Awards.

Not even 10% of that will watch their blowout at E3.
They should be smart, have their own events before E3 and maybe just be in attendance to let people play Series X games..

With what Sony has done though... how does this all fit into Sony Execs descending into San Francisco?
I'm expecting PlayStation Meeting invites before the end of the week. There must be a strategy to all this..

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
So.. let's be honest. MS had 40 million plus people watch their Series X reveal at the Game Awards.

They should be smart, have their own events before E3 and maybe just be in attendance to let people play Series X games..

With what Sony has done though... how does this all fit into Sony Execs descending into San Francisco?
I'm expecting PlayStation Meeting invites before the end of the week. There must be a strategy to all this..
Microsoft is probably trying to show up to ALL major events and they could even do their own if they wanted? More advertising all around is always better. They could have their cake and eat it too if they wanted.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Sony will reveal PS5 in a single ResetEra post. Go straight for the jugular. It's free and loads of websites will pick it up and run the story in seconds!

And we will eat.

Oh. We. Will. Eat.

Or they might have a big launch event?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It's like both Sony and MS are trying to outdo each other on how to ruin gaming.

Absolutely shocking display from the so called industry leader. Terrible.

No announcement of a PS Meeting either. their communication these past few years has been absolutely terrible. they have cancelled what 5 conferences going back to PSX 2018? they took six months to set the record straight on hardware ray tracing. they have allowed the github leaks to fester even though they were reported by mainstream sites like IGN. They revealed a freaking logo at CES. Their PR and marketing has been abysmal. Let's hope their games output is better, but then again if they had the games they would be at E3 showing them off at every major avenue.

To me, it's clear that they dont have enough content for two conferences. MS might only be revealing cross gen games but i doubt Sony has many games in the pipeline either.

Regardless, a PS5 meeting announcement should've been made with this announcement to soften the blow. This tells me Feb is probably not happening either. Just what the hell is sony doing?

You don't mix good PR and bad PR if you can avoid it.
You get out the bad news then let the cycle end and then do the good news .
If they talk about the PS meeting people would also be talking about cancel E3 the same time .
So it's best to avoid that .

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Sony maybe don't want to do a ps meeting until last of us 2 to let ps4 have full attention on first semester. Ps5 reveal can be really later and this will not be good.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is probably trying to show up to ALL major events and they could even do their own if they wanted? More advertising all around is always better. They could have their cake and eat it too if they wanted.
They could, but in marketing, there are windows of attention spans, and oversaturating your message (especially if you're saying the same thing at every event) could end up leaving a negative vibe with potential clients.

They're smarter than that, they will go to strategic events. I guess only E3 is in question. And Jason seems to think theres organizational reasons for Sony doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if MS pulled out if E3 too, had maybe have two seperate shows in the US (like they did with MTV in 2005)and then focus on shows in Europe (Gamescom), at the same time in the US, have actual units in all MS stores, GameStops, Best Buys etc. by June.

Then hype it up they way the big 3 usually do post E3, you know product placement here, there, hey look, Jimmy Fallon has a Series X in his briefcase kind of thing.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It's like both Sony and MS are trying to outdo each other on how to ruin gaming.

Absolutely shocking display from the so called industry leader. Terrible.

Let's not get carried away now. They could be planning a huge PS event to properly show off the console and features. At least I hope that's what they are doing.

neither Sony nor MS "need" E3 but it's definitely a shame to not have them there... especially in a year before new consoles are out.

it always nice to have times when the industry cam come together and show what they are working on, but that drive to have that perfect vertical slice ready for June no matter what does come with its own issues.

While you're right, it still really sucks what's happening with E3. I'd always take the week off and soak in all the news and excitement. Now there's one less reason to be excited. =(

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sony will reveal the PS5 during Superbowl. 100 million viewers. they will use either the savings from the cancelled E3 conference or take out a loan from wells fargo since they are strapped for cash.

the teaser will be 5 seconds long and will re-reveal the logo.

Aug 26, 2019
take out a loan from wells fargo since they are strapped for cash.
giphy.gif

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Maybe Sony will reveal PS5 in a single ResetEra post. Go straight for the jugular. It's free and loads of websites will pick it up and run the story in seconds!

And we will eat.

Oh. We. Will. Eat.

Or they might have a big launch event?
Sony's secret weapon is more Wired articles. Alot more. Just a joke. don't kill me.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
I really want to know what head honcho over at Sony decided to cancel two PSX events and two E3's in a row.

There's a difference between not going to an event because you have nothing to show vs being radio silent on big events since E3 2018.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
As a Music Producer, I can definitely understand where Sony is coming from. And if what was said about Sony and ESA having differences being true, all the more to go along with this.

For years, I've been told, "Why not make your own label? Why not release independently?" I always wanted to stick to the guys who can push my material out to via their Brand that is seen by thousands. While in theory it does work with many Artists, you can't help but feel somewhat held back because you have to play by someone else's rules. Within their boundaries. So yeah, Sony broke out of that mold and are doing their own thing. Granted they have the means to do it and they have been doing it forever. I just think now especially, they really want to take this on a global scale and not just make it some annual presentation.

As for me, there's a series out media outlets to showcase my music to others. You keep everything 100%. The tracking of data, the royalties. All of it. I think that's a good enough of an analogy here; even if it's small.

A great man once said something that resonates well here:

Status
Not open for further replies.