• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
At this point i wouldn't be surprised if Sony skipped any PS Meeting next month and go radio silence till after TLOU2 and Ghosts release in July then have one big event detailing price, release date, games, design reveal etc then release in Q4

Sony is doing things differently this time around, the 2013 next gen plan is out the window

Which I kinda knew. Who's to say that they were going to follow the same way they did PS4's reveal and outline?

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
At this point i wouldn't be surprised if Sony skipped any PS Meeting next month and go radio silence till after TLOU2 and Ghosts release in July then have one big event detailing price, release date, games, design reveal etc then release in Q4

Sony is doing things differently this time around, the 2013 next gen plan is out the window
Thats not funny, that would be so fucking lameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Aug 26, 2019
Which I kinda knew. Who's to say that they were going to follow the same way they did PS4's reveal and outline?
They're under no obligation to follow what they did in 2013. The landscape is a lot different than it was in 2013, people have shorter attention spans. If you give them a huge info drop, they'll forget it the next month. Give them something little every month, and it'll stay fresh in their mind until launch.

And people don't want to watch a 2 hour conference anymore. They want a concise, succinct 5 minute video that's flashy and has a lot of quick cuts (with some catchy music playing in the background).

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
New consoles can't come soon enough. My disc drive in my Pro just stopped working. I've been digital since last year and now that I wanted to play Bloodborne it died 😐

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
I wouldn't call it either really. It would have been an issue if they weren't going to E3 and decided to do little to no events of their own.

Assuming Sony hosts their own conference like events, this is a complete non-issue. All it will take is a PS Meeting event to get the next gen ball rolling and the hype to go into overdrive.

I agree but only 'if' they hold their own events. There seems to be an assumption that Sony will for sure have a Feb event soon; based on the last launch cycle this is a safe bet. But Sony's last few years don't really support that assumption. If you told me 2 years ago they wouldn't be on stage at E3, gamescom, and would cancel PSX I wouldn't believe you. If you asked me a few months ago they were 100% going to be returning to E3 on a launch year. At this point the old launch news cycle doesn't look like a great way to predict anything.

saintjules

Dec 20, 2019
They're under no obligation to follow what they did in 2013. The landscape is a lot different than it was in 2013, people have shorter attention spans. If you give them a huge info drop, they'll forget it the next month. Give them something little every month, and it'll stay fresh in their mind until launch.

And people don't want to watch a 2 hour conference anymore. They want a concise, succinct 5 minute video that's flashy and has a lot of quick cuts (with some catchy music playing in the background).
I'm with you on that.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I don't really know what to expect anymore. Who says Microsoft will even be at E3 this year. If Sony isn't having a PS Meeting which seems like a good possibility, what is there to expect anymore?

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
I personally don't see a scenario where Sony is completely radio silent until, or after, E3.

This thread has gotten overly negative.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Are we even sure Sony is releasing the PS5 anymore?

/s

People in this thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I just don't see reasoning behind releasing info in drips and drabs. They already have by far the largest fan base. They don't need to do this kinda thing to "beat" MS.

The reasoning is simple: creating a strong hype cycle that shapes the conversation. Basic idea is that there's always something PlayStation in the news. That's important because it helps their message to reach way, way beyond the core demographics (i.e. enthusiasts and/or hardcore).

The biggest mistake a market leader can make is getting complacent. You should always be moving, you should always be not IN the conversation, but be THE conversation.

There's a very good reason that Coke still markets heavily, constantly and consistently their cola, even though they've been the market leader pretty much everywhere for a very long time now.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Dark1x Come on my man. Every dream has come true. We are getting 8 core 16 thread CPUs. We are getting ray tracing in a console. We are getting SSDs in a console. We are getting 12 RDNA tflops. Or 18 Tahiti tflops, 15 polaris tflops. And thats just the Xbox. PS5 might even be stronger with SSD speeds up to 5GBps if Cerny is to be believed.

Dont let twitter and other pessimistic and realistic users bring you down. We are extremely excited over here and have not let the downers bring us down. Just wait for Sony first party studios, talented Capcom studios, rockstar, rocksteady, respawn and KojiPro to blow you away. These devs WILL take advantage of all that tech in ways we havent seen before.

You talked to the Horizon devs, you saw how much they had to compromise. Time for compromises is over. It will be the most significant tech leap since the PS1 to PS2. Forget ray tracing, thats just shiny graphics. CPU and SSD upgrade will let devs push the boundries in ways we havent seen before.

Just hang out in this thread, and quit twitter. We have our cross gen apologists but we dont let them bring us down. Sky is the limit man.
Optimistic yet reasonable and pragmatic. Good post. Next-gen console release years are the most exciting.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
my pro has a weird problem, my disc drive works but only if use the pro vertically

Classic PlayStation issue. Happened to both my PS1 and my PS2Slim.

Will we get new interfaces with these consoles or are they gonna run the same from previous gens but quicker? Would be boring if they're the same.

PS will probably get an update to the PS4 interface with maybe a bunch of new features bolted onto it. MS has a new design language, so I'd bet the new Xbox interface will integrate it more thoroughly.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will we get new interfaces with these consoles or are they gonna run the same from previous gens but quicker? Would be boring if they're the same.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll almost certainly get entirely new interfaces, but I imagine they'll both be based on the same OS etc.
If they use the same interface it would be boring. I'm hoping for something fresh even though I got used to them both. I like them both but the Xbox one is pretty slow at times compared to PS4. You'd think they'd have perfected it by now.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Classic PlayStation issue. Happened to both my PS1 and my PS2Slim.

PS will probably get an update to the PS4 interface with maybe a bunch of new features bolted onto it. MS has a new design language, so I'd bet the new Xbox interface will integrate it more thoroughly.
Do you think they'll both be lacking features like they were at the beginning of this gen? Or this the jump to next gen supposed to be easier now then it was in 2013? It seemed they were both in a rush last launch when it came to basic features.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree but only 'if' they hold their own events. There seems to be an assumption that Sony will for sure have a Feb event soon; based on the last launch cycle this is a safe bet. But Sony's last few years don't really support that assumption. If you told me 2 years ago they wouldn't be on stage at E3, gamescom, and would cancel PSX I wouldn't believe you. If you asked me a few months ago they were 100% going to be returning to E3 on a launch year. At this point the old launch news cycle doesn't look like a great way to predict anything.
I don't think that should be a question really. They'll handle it differently, sure, but there will almost certainly be a big event at least once this year. We just don't know when and how. They even had a PS Meeting for PS4 Pro. With a hardware reveal, it will happen.

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
At the same time, Klee said Sony is having something next month and a dev said he was going on radio silence about his game until February. That sounds like something is coming next month.
Just to clarify this point, the dev later tweeted that he made the comment because he's taking a month long break from Twitter at the beginning of the year.

I still believe that it's happening in February though.
Please Sony.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Do you think they'll both be lacking features like they were at the beginning of this gen? Or this the jump to next gen supposed to be easier now then it was in 2013? It seemed they were both in a rush last launch when it came to basic features.

If it pans out how I'm feeling, they'll be much more mature right out of the gate. Jump is definitely easier, architectures are very similar - barring either of them dumping the old OS and starting anew, they should have most things in place.

Of course, they'll still find some way to miss some stupid obvious feature somehow.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Platform warring; trolling; history of similar infractions
Sony really doesn't want to reveal their low flops and feels like they're on the run...

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't see a scenario where Sony is completely radio silent until, or after, E3.

This thread has gotten overly negative.
Some are positively trolling, some over reacting.

It's all good. I'll take this negativity vs. console wars any day.

And it's the lull before the storm. I think after tomorrow news will start coming out more. Especially if they aren't doing E3.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

this is sony literally handing them e3 on a silver platter. But then again, they did that last year as well and MS squandered it.

Let's hope MS realizes that they will have zero competition at E3 this year and Sony is letting them have all the spotlight. I said this last year, they had the chance to set the bar, set the standard for next gen games and they showed us a current gen game instead. They have five months to prepare. Go talk to third parties and get as many next gen games as you can to show off the next gen vision.

It might not help them win next gen, but they will win E3 simply by showing up with some next gen games. And we know from last gen, a little goodwill at E3 goes a long way with gamers.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
How is a celebration of gamers when so few people go there? For reference:

If we are in a situation where Sony thinks that E3 is irrelevant, is E3's fault.

So a bunch of events that aren't in the USA have more attendees. So? Can the USA have a big event?

I for one dont get the gaming community's bizarre hate for E3 the last few years. Like, they really actively want to destroy it. That's why you get all this personalized venom over the data leak. Why?

On Podcast they talk about how much smarter it is to "control the message" and have your Nintendo direct style thing. Ok cool, but a bunch of random unveil events aren't going to replace the concentrated hype of e3 for me. They just arent. Here's another thing, the world is about ya know, people ya know, getting together. Noone would dream of directing a bunch of venom at comic con and talking about how Marvel should unveil their next thing in a taped video. Because we get that's not the damn point of comic con.

Aug 26, 2019
this is sony literally handing them e3 on a silver platter. But then again, they did that last year as well and MS squandered it.

Let's hope MS realizes that they will have zero competition at E3 this year and Sony is letting them have all the spotlight. I said this last year, they had the chance to set the bar, set the standard for next gen games and they showed us a current gen game instead. They have five months to prepare. Go talk to third parties and get as many next gen games as you can to show off the next gen vision.

It might not help them win next gen, but they will win E3 simply by showing up with some next gen games. And we know from last gen, a little goodwill at E3 goes a long way with gamers.
Yeah MS needs to show their hand at E3.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Do we know why Sony is avoiding E3 this year again ? Because if it's just to say : "hey people we are the best and we don't need E3", it's very arrogant and i don't like it.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Except you're not going to see any next gen Only games This year. And tbh, if you did, you'll probably see downgrades
We might? We saw HB already. Let's wait until we see the games to make that call, and define what a next gen game is. For all we know a second team could be working on the inferior versions on this gen.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Surely backwards compatibility for games means much of the OS must also be built on top of the old one and share features. Not having features day one could break the games or cause issues. That's why I think we will have day one a continuation of what PS4 does already, not a mass culling of features and waiting month for the PS5 Netflix app or whatever, lol. That would be a disaster. So given all that I expect it will be much the same UI. I truly hope they try and spruce it up a little and improve the functionality. Just let me pin media apps I use on the main row of tiles. Give us the ability to massively customise the UI to our needs, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.