• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 31, 2017
If they use the same interface it would be boring. I'm hoping for something fresh even though I got used to them both. I like them both but the Xbox one is pretty slow at times compared to PS4. You'd think they'd have perfected it by now.
I just recently installed an SSD in my Xbox One X (like literally replaced the crappy 5400RPM drive with a Samsung SSD), and the OS is now super fast and snappy, and games load incredibly fast. So if that is any indication, nextgen consoles' OS will be super quick!

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Surely backwards compatibility for games means much of the OS must also be built on top of the old one and share features. Not having features day one could break the games or cause issues. That's why I think we will have day one a continuation of what PS4 does already, not a mass culling of features and waiting month for the PS5 Netflix app or whatever, lol. That would be a disaster. So given all that I expect it will be much the same UI. I truly hope they try and spruce it up a little and improve the functionality. Just let me pin media apps I use on the main row of tiles. Give us the ability to massively customise the UI to our needs, and so on.
It's still Sony though, so I expect them to find some way to make us beg for folders for the first year or so.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Sony saying they're going to be attending hundreds of events this year almost sounds like they're going for some sort of extended blitzkrieg strategy (for lack of a better term) to flood the market with their brand leading up to the PS5 launch. I'm very curious to see how this plays out.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
Sony saying they're going to be attending hundreds of events this year almost sounds like they're going for some sort of extended blitzkrieg strategy (for lack of a better term) to flood the market with their brand leading up to the PS5 launch. I'm very curious to see how this plays out.
MS could have the exact same strategy and also be at all the major conferences with all eyes on them. I think this is a bad move for Sony. They let Xbox own the spotlight at the game awards and now possibly E3.

Dec 31, 2017
this is sony literally handing them e3 on a silver platter. But then again, they did that last year as well and MS squandered it.

Let's hope MS realizes that they will have zero competition at E3 this year and Sony is letting them have all the spotlight. I said this last year, they had the chance to set the bar, set the standard for next gen games and they showed us a current gen game instead. They have five months to prepare. Go talk to third parties and get as many next gen games as you can to show off the next gen vision.

It might not help them win next gen, but they will win E3 simply by showing up with some next gen games. And we know from last gen, a little goodwill at E3 goes a long way with gamers.
Wonder what are the chances of MS having SquareEnix on stage showing an updated version of FF7 Remake, coming early 2021 on Xbox Series X?

E3 is hype though, and it gets talked about a lot, even in local TV stations, so I think if MS uses the spotlight properly, they could have themselves some decent exposure and change a few people's minds. We need specs, release date, and price, alongside game demos of launch titles and trailers of games releasing all the way up to 2021/2022 to show people that there s a lot in the pipeline and keep that Gamepass subscription going!

Really hoping for an Xbox Series X spring showcase though to keep the flow of information going!

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
So a bunch of events that aren't in the USA have more attendees. So? Can the USA have a big event?

I for one dont get the gaming community's bizarre hate for E3 the last few years. Like, they really actively want to destroy it. That's why you get all this personalized venom over the data leak. Why?

On Podcast they talk about how much smarter it is to "control the message" and have your Nintendo direct style thing. Ok cool, but a bunch of random unveil events aren't going to replace the concentrated hype of e3 for me. They just arent. Here's another thing, the world is about ya know, people ya know, getting together. Noone would dream of directing a bunch of venom at comic con and talking about how Marvel should unveil their next thing in a taped video. Because we get that's not the damn point of comic con.

It's one of the strangest things I have seen lately. And this started before the leak, that's just some excuse. E3 is the biggest video game event on the planet and some fans of video games don't want it, you know what you complainers just go away. How about you don't watch anything and wait for some random day for one trailer and be happy with that. Leave the actual industry celebration to those of us that love it.

Nothing can ever replace e3, if it needs new management that's something else but a huge event like this needs to happen. Most all industries have big shows, no clue why so many don't want video games to have one.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Gotta love Google News. Yes,
"games from all 5 PlayStation platforms (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, and PS4), will be compatible on PS5"
Obvious Vita jab is obvious.

More details about backwards compatibility will be discussed at a later date, especially at E3.
Well, that's about how I expect BC to go down anyway.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
this is sony literally handing them e3 on a silver platter. But then again, they did that last year as well and MS squandered it.

Let's hope MS realizes that they will have zero competition at E3 this year and Sony is letting them have all the spotlight. I said this last year, they had the chance to set the bar, set the standard for next gen games and they showed us a current gen game instead. They have five months to prepare. Go talk to third parties and get as many next gen games as you can to show off the next gen vision.

It might not help them win next gen, but they will win E3 simply by showing up with some next gen games. And we know from last gen, a little goodwill at E3 goes a long way with gamers.
Maybe E3 will give them a trophy.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, they did. But "a crossgen developer" did not. Let me remind you again what you originally claimed: that a single dev could create versions for both generations, and not restrain the ambition of the nextgen version at all. But your suggested posterboy FH2 actually shows the opposite: that the uncompromised nextgen version couldn't be ported down. Instead, a whole other studio was brought in to create an evocative echo, stripped down to make it fit current gen tech.

This is quite the pedantic argument. In this industry you'd be hard pressed to find a single AAA developer that doesn't work with development partners to get games and ports out the door. The discussion is about whether or not cross gen games can serve the old gen without compromising the new gen version. Disqualifying a prime example because a contractor was brought in is nonsense.

Consumers who own a nextgen console, that's who. From their perspective, old platform ports are a waste of resources.
I don't recall Forza Horizon 2 owners on xb1 lamenting how resources were managed. They were too busy enjoying their commercially and critically acclaimed next gen racer. Behind thre scenes development expenses are a non issue to players.

Not at all. I explicitly said other factors might stop that from happening. But the budget could go to new games.

It could also not go to anything. It's not our role to evaluate Microsofts resource allocation, as we have no access to any of that data.

You're trying to have and eat your cake. If Microsoft can always say yes to a project, no matter what they're already doing, then they have limitless resources. If there's not infinite money, sometimes the answer must be no. Potentially even if the new proposal is better than one you're already working on.

No I'm not. I'm just highlighting the fact the we have no perspective what so ever on the cost/ benefit analysis process of choosing to do ports and choosing budgets for approved projects. As such, your hypothetical scenario where crossgen development leads to a new gen project getting reduced funding is an unprovable red herring to distract from the actual argument on whether or not cross gen games can properly target each platform.

To your point, companies reevaluate projects and redistribute funds as they deem neccessary. If they became convinced that a last gen port isnt worthwhile but a new gen proposal is, they'll do what they gotta do. It's not our job to worry about how their monies are allocated.

Again, I assumed nothing. I only made the simple observation that the less you spend on last-gen "ports", the more money you have that could possibly go to nextgen product.

An observation you present without any sort of data or knowledge to suggest nextgen budgets are being negatively impacted by port costs.

That said, I'm unclear where your certainty comes from. If budgeting details are "unknowable", how can you assert so confidently that linkage of project budgets is "deeply flawed"?
because arguments based on unknowable conditions are flawed arguments. And I also know that budget are based on the cost/ benefit analysis of the proposals. Project A isnt going to see a budget increase just because project B was decided against.

I said the effect could be "for good or ill", not that it's always bad. You're fighting against a position I didn't actually take.

What exactly is your position then? That The FH2 approach to cross gen development doesn't count because they outsourced the port (which is a common practice). also the approach is bad because it, hypothetically, could have robbed a more worthwhile next-gen project (that may or may not even exist) of the funding needed (assuming it was underfunded) and/or make players feel like funds are being misappropriated?

At this point we've deviated so far away from the actual topic at hand- whether or not developers can properly target two generations of hardware with the same title. We should just judge the games and leave the economic value debate to those who are paying the bills.

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
We might? We saw HB already. Let's wait until we see the games to make that call, and define what a next gen game is. For all we know a second team could be working on the inferior versions on this gen.
People bashed e3 for years for being a showcase for games that are 2-3 years out, now we want e3 to go back to that?

Wonder what are the chances of MS having SquareEnix on stage showing an updated version of FF7 Remake, coming early 2021 on Xbox Series X?
Show a psn exclusive game during e3 before said game is out on PSN platforms? How does that work?

Uncle Fester

Banned
Sep 30, 2019
Forgive me if this was discussed already, but didn't Sony reveal the PS4 Pro in like September and then release November? And didn't someone at Sony say they like the Apple approach of revealing/releasing closer together? I could see us getting another Wired article or two, bits and pieces here and there and then the full reveal closer to the actual release.

aka no February show

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017

they will "win" E3? How can you win when you are the only one competing? Microsoft is Steven Bradbury confirmed?

Honest though who is to say Sony don't do something around that time? Also even forgetting Sony, we know Nintendo will have a direct with possibly Bayonetta 3, BOTW2 and Metroid. Or do somehow they not count?

I think people are putting too much emphasis on this. Don't forget they literally showed a logo at CES that got more buzz than a console reveal at TGA. They will have their events where they will show and people will lap it up. Look how crazy people are for information it does not matter where that info is revealed. And I'm sure MS "winning" E3 when they are the only ones there will make a lick of difference

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People bashed e3 for years for being a showcase for games that are 2-3 years out, now we want e3 to go back to that?
i always hated those people. e3 2015 and 2016 were the best E3s ever.

so what if a few games got delayed? they still turned out amazing

they will "win" E3? How can you win when you are the only one competing? Microsoft is Steven Bradbury confirmed?

Honest though who is to say Sony don't do something around that time? Also even forgetting Sony, we know Nintendo will have a direct with possibly Bayonetta 3, BOTW2 and Metroid. Or do somehow they not count?

dont get me started on nintendo. i dont want to get banned.

but yes, my entire point is that they will win by default just for showing that. hence the handed them on a silver platter comment. that said, ms still has to do their part to earn the goodwill of gamers like me who still value and look forward to E3.

aspiring

Oct 25, 2017
dont get me started on nintendo. i dont want to get banned.

but yes, my entire point is that they will win by default just for showing that. hence the handed them on a silver platter comment. that said, ms still has to do their part to earn the goodwill of gamers like me who still value and look forward to E3.

I don't want you to get banned but I am so curious what your thoughts are on Nintendo!!

I cannot wait to see what they bring and even if MS has a next gen console it's going to be hard to top those 3 games I mentioned if they can bring them! Plus whatever else they have!

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
more like sony drops the ball.

96055S.gif

These are horrible takes. Sony proved last year they didn't need E3.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Show a psn exclusive game during e3 before said game is out on PSN platforms? How does that work?
Because it won't be 2-3 years out? What games do we not know of 2 years out nowadays? Very few. I understand the complaints with 4-5 years. But 2 years is normal now. If they don't show it, some insider rat will leak it on twitter or something anyways.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Forgive me if this was discussed already, but didn't Sony reveal the PS4 Pro in like September and then release November? And didn't someone at Sony say they like the Apple approach of revealing/releasing closer together? I could see us getting another Wired article or two, bits and pieces here and there and then the full reveal closer to the actual release.

aka no February show
It's a bit more awkward to pull that off with a full console release. Apple has their own stores, and the PS4 Pro probably wasn't expected to move massive numbers. But with the PS5 launch Sony has to work with retailers that need a lot of advance warning to figure out what they're going to fill up their floor space with over the holiday shopping season. Sony does one every year in February for Playstation with Gamestop and a bunch of other retailers and iirc they did one even last year.

I don't know how MS handles it so it's possible Sony's been over cautious, I know the XB1 reveal was in May. But I suspect Sony would have to give retailers something to work with by summer to gauge (or at least confirm) demand, otherwise they'd just plan on giving the floor space to XSX and Arcade1Ups or whatever.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I don't want you to get banned but I am so curious what your thoughts are on Nintendo!!

I cannot wait to see what they bring and even if MS has a next gen console it's going to be hard to top those 3 games I mentioned if they can bring them! Plus whatever else they have!

I know his thoughts on Nintendo, it's terrible, he shouldn't say it.

Speaking of Nintendo, would BOTW be as big without it's epic E3 showing that basically took over the news cycle of gaming for a week, I don't think so. E3 makes games, sure not every game needs it but if you want attention for a game you go to E3.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember that, only for Sony to then do a conference focused on updates on their soon-to-release games and then people bitched about how they didn't have any big announcements.
Yep. People cry and say why is the gaming industry the only industry that has to keep everything secret or some bullshit. Or why can't they communicate with us from the beginning. People complain either way.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Good way to know that leak was wrong it says learn more at e3

True, but there's nothing saying Sony won't have something around E3 as well. Not gonna put much faith in this rumor though.

MS could have the exact same strategy and also be at all the major conferences with all eyes on them. I think this is a bad move for Sony. They let Xbox own the spotlight at the game awards and now possibly E3.

We'll have to wait and see how this strategy plays out. It's worth keeping in mind even in 2019 when Sony wasn't there and wasn't doing tons of events a lot of the talk was on them and they still had a lot of games featured for their platform, most notably FF7 and Avengers with its exclusive PS content. So if Sony could still be a large part of the convo on an off year, I think they could still potentially be very relevant on a year like this.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami

It's such a dumb take, please don't tell me what you are working on... get out of here. The movie industry tells you exactly what's being made the second it starts being made. This is industry is paranoid, who cares if something games canceled, it happens, it's worse when there is just dead silence and we invent our own stories. Bethesda told us what they are doing for the next 6 years, what's so bad about that?!?! Meanwhile Rocksteady has been silent for almost 5 years and we all think the worst.

kungfuian

Banned
Jan 24, 2018

I can't agree with you more! There has always been a certain magic in knowing what the future will bring; even if years in advance. It's a promise of things to come. Sony used to be very good at leveraging this future line up to create/maintain hype for their platform.

A few missed release dates and delayed games later and now all of a sudden we get nothing. Why not just stop announcing the actual release dates so soon and throw us a bone. Like they could literally just announce the next Horizon and Ratchet are in development for PS5 and we'd go nuts. Why the hell not get people thinking about the future of the platform?

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Platform warring; history of similar infractions
Considering this is how last E3 went, I think Sony will be fine.

3545987-pimmpwh.gif

That kinda already happened.

Microsoft reveals series X hardware at TGA = zzzzzz

Sony shows off PS5 logo = Yay it's the greatest thing ever!!!!!

I think Sony will be fine by skipping E3. They seem to know what they're doing. For now. Let's just wait and see how the year goes.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are horrible takes. Sony proved last year they didn't need E3.
Tonky and i are just having a little fun. there is no reason why this cant be fun.

nothing too controversial. i just want them to join the big boys and compete with them for the best most powerful hardware. i want to play nintendo games designed on the same tech as the other two. when xbox series x comes out, it would be like 63x more powerful than the switch in docked mode.

botw 2, zelda 2 and metroid prime will be amazing im sure. but will they lose some their wow factor when we see next gen games at E3.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I wrote a response to that same post a few pages back.

TO say it shortly, SC is designed around any storage interface that is fast at rapid IO at small file sizes. Nvme and SATA SSDs perform extremely similar in that metric category, unlike in larger file sizes where they have very different performance.
Ah, okay. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.