• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
At this point, we might as well just settle for info being released sometime before the console launch.

And all the insiders should pls shut up. If you aren't saying anything, then don't go online/in threads and say/suggest you know something but can't say. Like can adults get any ore childish than that?

Livetohard378

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 17, 2019
At this point, we might as well just settle for info being released sometime before the console launch.

And all the insiders should pls shut up. If you aren't saying anything, then don't go online/in threads and say/suggest you know something but can't say. Like can adults get any ore childish than that?
Thank you. This stuff has gotten insane and, we're still in January.😒😑

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

I think the reasoning for that is they are just as excited for next-gen as we are, and when they get inside info, that they can't fully share, it's hard for them not to communicate anything about it to the public.

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I understand this forum has more playstation fans than Xbox. Im okay with that. I'm not okay with the thought that Xbox fans have to walk on eggshells so they don't trigger people sensitivities on which pieces of plastic will be stronger.

It's not about walking on egg shells or Xbox fans. I'd have just as easily called out someone who was repeatedly implying that the PS5 would be stronger and posing questions in that way.

The fact is, we don't have the answers on specs. We can debate the insider information, Github leaks, who will be stronger all day. But there are certain users who deliberately try to stir a reaction.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I understand this forum has more playstation fans than Xbox. Im okay with that. I'm not okay with the thought that Xbox fans have to walk on eggshells so they don't trigger people sensitivities on which pieces of plastic will be stronger.

It's fine I guess I should put quotes around what I say and clarify everything is speculation and rumored

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's more than fine to like Xbox and be excited. This isn't a Sony only thread or forum. I would even think we have a really good split of users. You will find that there are people who can't accept that on both sides. Other people just like to stir the pot.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This isn't necessarily next gen but I was looking back at some Halo E3 moments, and I found this video from 2011 back before the Xbox One was a thing and Don Mattrick for a solid minute talks about Bing, Kinect, Voice Control, Live tv, and apps before he even talks about games. We should have known the Xbox One was screwed, thank god for Phil Spencer lol.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
As an xbox fan, you have nothing to worry about. Ban history in these threads shows you're going to be just fine.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Just dropped into the MS flight sim thread. Thinking about launch titles, if that appeared on GamesPass at launch, I think it could low-key shift a lot of Xboxes. Not only is it an absolutely stunning tech demo that people will want to use to show off their new toy, it's also something that would impress people who would never usually be interested in games. I mean, who wouldn't be impressed by a flyby of their house?

While I agree that the game looks incredibly impressive, and that sounds really cool in concept, flighting simulators are an extremely niche genre. The probability that this game will have a wide impact is very slim. It might surprise us all, but I think that the novelty will just last so much before people drop it. I would love to play it, for sure.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
While I agree that the game looks incredibly impressive, and that sounds really cool in concept, flighting simulators are an extremely niche genre. The probability that this game will have a wide impact is very slim. It might surprise us all, but I think that the novelty will just last so much before people drop it. I would love to play it, for sure.
That's where GamePass comes in. Not many people are likely to rush out and buy it, but if it's something that's essentially bundled with the console, then plenty of people are going to mess about with it for an hour or two at the least, then likely show it off to their friends. I think the impact could be more about creating a buzz rather than anything else.

Belasco

May 3, 2019
Has anyone here listened to the KFGD podcast today? They were discussing the different perspectives of Sony no-showing at E3 and Imran Khan stated that he had seen breakdowns of the costs that publishers are spending for their presence at the conference.

I know there was some discussion earlier today about the justification of Sony not attending because of the potential savings they could be pocketing and I thought it was interesting the discrepancy between what forum users here believe they might cost versus what someone in the industry has seen first hand.

He stated that an average third party publisher would have a spending threshold of around 10 to 15 million dollars.

It's even more insane for first party publishers - i.e., Sony or Microsoft. He stated their spending thresholds were upwards of 50 to 60 million dollars. You read that right. 50 to 60 MILLION dollars. That includes press conferences, booth space and booth sets, and employing people to run said booths.

When all the major publishers are vying for attention throughout the week of E3, and they're spending that kind of money, it makes sense that Sony ,or anyone else for that matter, doesn't want to attend. Especially if they feel they can move their announcements elsewhere and get the same kind of engagement with consumers at a lower cost of entry.

Here's the timestamp if anyone is interested in listening to it.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Has anyone here listened to the KFGD podcast today? They were discussing the different perspectives of Sony no-showing at E3 and Imran Khan stated that he had seen breakdowns of the costs that publishers are spending for their presence at the conference.

I know there was some discussion earlier today about the justification of Sony not attending because of the potential savings they could be pocketing and I thought it was interesting the discrepancy between what forum users here believe they might cost versus what someone in the industry has seen first hand.

He stated that an average third party publisher would have a spending threshold of around 10 to 15 million dollars.

It's even more insane for first party publishers - i.e., Sony or Microsoft. He stated their spending thresholds were upwards of 50 to 60 million dollars. You read that right. 50 to 60 MILLION dollars. That includes press conferences, booth space and booth sets, and employing people to run said booths.

When all the major publishers are vying for attention throughout the week of E3, and they're spending that kind of money, it makes sense that Sony ,or anyone else for that matter, doesn't want to attend. Especially if they feel they can move their announcements elsewhere and get the same kind of engagement with consumers at a lower cost of entry.

Yea i heard that earlier and was astonished 60mill would be insane

Jan 20, 2019

Jesus, 60M?
No wonder they left.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That's ridiculous, I wonder how much PSX used to cost them.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
60 million dollars for tons of press and free marketing isn't too much. I'm sure some commercials and marketing campaigns cost way more and E3 is probably some of the best advertising you can get.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
It's just not what Sony wants to do folks. That's it. They have a marketing department (s) with a team and a budget and a plan that they are excited to roll out. A big event on the E3 floor isn't part of that plan. It's a great year for PS4 releases and the brand is strong. I don't get all the concern. They have said they are looking to engage more users and fans than what they think they can reach with an E3 blowout.

I can sympathize with folks pining for those E3 moments, but it ain't happening. People are thirsty AF right now, and I expect to have some news soon.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
60 million dollars for tons of press and free marketing isn't too much. I'm sure some commercials and marketing campaigns cost way more and E3 is probably some of the best advertising you can get.

That seems incredibly expensive for a single annual event. It would be a significant portion of the marketing budget for Sony and MS.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Those figures cannot be right?? They just cannot, unless there's arbitrary ludicrous fees for getting the presence but someone posted a break down earlier that was like less than $2 million for everything for Sony. $60 million, nah I cannot see that.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I suspected Sony figured they could save money by not attending. I know that might not be the main reason but I suspect it's at least part of it.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I do not think that attending E3 or not was a question of money. They just have another vision how to sell their vision to potential customers and they just execute their plan.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Sony has, with The Last of Us Remastered, for example, although I got that free on PS Plus.

Yeah sony and MS have generally had completely different approaches to this type of thing. Ms has sold some remasters, but most often they've been pushing free enhancement patches to games that are backward compatible.

Last edited:

Joo

May 25, 2018

You have no basis whatsoever on if it's expensive or not compared to marketing games in general. It only lasts a couple of days. Biggest coverage is still gonna come from trailers which in no way need E3 to have "free marketing" or big views. Not every person even on this forum will watch the actual conferences, let alone some average consumer.

Of course E3 is a positive thing and gives you tons of press and coverage, but I'm not so sure if it really makes that much of a difference whether you release your trailers for 60 mil at E3 conference or a week before on YouTube.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am just speculating, but 12 TF for Xbox seems to be the most likely number and they've given a range and a few outlets and sources have said 12.

So they haven't given specific numbers then. Wouldn't that mean they are weaker then going by your standard? XsX could very well be stronger but Sony not talking specific TFs at a PS Meeting wouldn't signify that if MS not releasing specific specs at TGA didn't mean the Ps5 was stronger.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So they haven't given specific numbers then. Wouldn't that mean they are weaker then going by your standard? XsX could very well be stronger but Sony not talking specific TFs at a PS Meeting wouldn't signify that if MS not releasing specific specs at TGA didn't mean the Ps5 was stronger.

I think if they are more powerful they will want to get that messaging out there. So far Xbox has talked about specs, even shown a picture of their chip, and are using "Fastest, Most Powerful" as one of their slogans. If Sony comes out and starts to talk about how they are super powerful then I understand your point. Again, I'm just reading the tea leaves based on what is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.