• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think people are reading way too much into the E3 skip.

All that really matters is the device and games; whenever Sony chooses to release info the public will react based on the quality and they will have the public's eyes on their product whether they had done that at E3 or not.

"Winning E3" is this fun thing we talk about on game forums but it won't matter if Sony a week later has a big event and people are happy with what they announce.

At most it gives their competition a chance to shine.. but all they have to do is release a video or something during E3 if they are worried about that.

I'll declare Sony arrogant if they cheap out on hardware, or pull another Blu-Ray like move.. or their exclusives are tech demo shovelware..that seems incredibly unlikely.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
The patent discussed a few pages ago actually dates back to Feb. 20, 2015.

The patent is a continuation of a parent application filed on that date.

A continuation allows you to obtain a new set of claims - to the extent their subject matter is described in the original application - that are given the "date of invention" of the original application.

In this case, there was likely something described in the original application but not claimed in the original application. Thus, Sony filed a continuation to obtain claims on this original subject matter, and can block anyone who attempts to claim the same but filed their application after Feb 20, 2015.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
not attending E3 isn't the same as not having an event in June just after MS to announce PS5.

they can still mirror 2013 without using E3 explicitly

I think's it's more of an evolution to the brand. That now like Nintendo they can get away with having their own shows, state of play throughout the year to tease/inform people about their slate.

They don't need a giant blowout at E3, where they are basically paying millions or more for space, employee's, and putting more pressure crunch on developers to make a demo.

They now can just show things when they are ready to build hype and have more control in how the information is presented. Helps with leaks as well.

Remember what happened to Xbox for Ninja Theory's game? It got leaked before the E3 announcement, totally killed the hype for Bleeding edge.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This obsession with Sony skipping E3 as if they won't have their own media blowout is fucking annoying. Braindead journalism and exaggerated panic over some inconsequential shit. That fucking website with a dozen articles about E3 is nuts. Creatively bankrupt shit to report on. Everything has to be some point of contention nowadays. Shit is whack.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
This obsession with Sony skipping E3 as if they won't have their own media blowout is fucking annoying. Braindead journalism and exaggerated panic over some inconsequential shit. That fucking website with a dozen articles about E3 is nuts. Creatively bankrupt shit to report on.

I think it's more that, people are use to a certain cycle. I do find it weird they would write these and not see that it worked for NIntendo, and honestly for some publishers that do their own shows and make their own announcements outside of E3.

Nov 11, 2017
You think? It kinda reads like it was written by a forum warrior. Instead of writing a blanaced piece, gi/biz writing an article from every conceivable angle for clicks. threadmark each and every one of them \o/
I disagree the articles points out and ask some questions about the sudden change in marketing for Sony. It points out how the playstation experience which was a fan event was cut out recently; it alsodiscusses Sony missing many events over the last several years which goes against the precedent that was set since the beginning of the gen. It brings out the question that we all ask when it comes to change, why are we changing? I suspect personally its largely due to the difference a top ie: Andrew house Jack Trenton etc

Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more that, people are use to a certain cycle. I do find it weird they would write these and not see that it worked for NIntendo, and honestly for some publishers that do their own shows and make their own announcements outside of E3.
We all get used to cycles and repetition. It's just aggravating when people blow the importance of something out of proportion. We're in 2020 where all your information can be disseminated in a multitude of ways. It's easier than ever for information to spread. This feigning worry over how Sony is going to reliably relay PS5 information to the masses is misguided and disingenuous concern that has no basis in reality, considering, as I said, the many avenues through which Sony can do it. I really just dislike it when people make a big deal about shit that really isn't a big deal at all. And I say this as someone who has very fond memories of E3.

Sony is going to be releasing its 5th console, one that will assuredly be just as successful as its predecessors. Even its worst performing console that had everything going against it managed to sell nearly 100m before it was decommissioned. This idea that Sony needs E3 in order to guarantee its success is dumb as fuck. The event is nothing more than a courtesy call at this point, one that's apparently expensive to boot. They don't need that shit in order to be successful. E3's importance is inflated and is incorrectly attributed to Sony's success - they would be selling just as many consoles without appearing there, and I am banking on PS5 blowing the doors wide open just the same. It's as if people care about how they learn about a product rather than the product itself. Who gives a shit about the former?

This is a good article:

Nonsense of an article.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018
This is a good article:

This is a totally useless article and it pretends like E3 was the reason the PS4 did well and Xbox not so when in fact it played such a minor role compared to the business decisions both Sony and Microsoft did leading up to it and would there not have been an E3 the same message and results would have played out since already then internet with YouTube, Facebook was a thing. Now in 2020 E3 that is magnified even further and Sony or Microsoft success have absolutely nothing to do with E3 but once again their business decisions.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

and None of this prevents that cycle from happening. Sony could literally have a presentation on the same day at the same theatre for all anyone knows.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
This is a totally useless article and it pretends like E3 was the reason the PS4 did well and Xbox not so when in fact it played such a minor role compared to the business decisions both Sony and Microsoft did leading up to it and would there not have been an E3 the same message and results would have played out since already then internet with YouTube, Facebook was a thing. Now in 2020 E3 that is magnified even further and Sony or Microsoft success have absolutely nothing to do with E3 but once again their business decisions.

Yep .
People just like to make things simple when there not .

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This obsession with Sony skipping E3 as if they won't have their own media blowout is fucking annoying. Braindead journalism and exaggerated panic over some inconsequential shit. That fucking website with a dozen articles about E3 is nuts. Creatively bankrupt shit to report on. Everything has to be some point of contention nowadays. Shit is whack.

when theres no news and you have a website to run. Click-baity opinion pieces will surely bring the clicks rolling. If only for people trying to get to the comment section to yell at you for your opinion

Nov 11, 2017
You know what hes saying...come on man
I'm supposed to dislike a well respected publication in GI whom write fantastic articles with well vetted sources and interviews because it would like to know more on why Sony suddenly is going against Andrew house/Jack Trenton proven strategies?
That you are a fanboy, what I got from that.
Considering I actually use my ps4 more then any other system that's interesting thanks

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
E3 is old news for dinosaurs, Sony will stream PS5 reveal on TikTok.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree the articles points out and ask some questions about the sudden change in marketing for Sony.
Anyone following even in passing would know playstation have a new global approach to marketing and have staffed up accordingly. What they do and where they do it will be dictated by that. Saying they are to hold 100s of events, it seems likely they're going to do PS.VR-like hands-on demonstrations to maximise people experiencing the console, controller haptics etc. for themselves. That they're doing things differently that 7 years ago should be no shock. And they weren't there last year - it's not sudden at all, it's consistent lol.

As Jason said, there's rumored tension between playstation and ESA over the direction of the show. Seemingly it doesn't know what it wants to be, struggling to stay relevant and justify its existence. Queuetainment, other direct marketing as you're stood waiting to see stuff, a maximum of 25,000 consumer attendees (that's well under 10% of gamescom for instance), marketing showcases involving influencers and celebrities... not hard to see why some don't want to sign up to be a part of that, that won't fit well with everyone. Maybe Microsoft and Mixer embrace that stuff more readily and is a better fit.

going against Andrew house/Jack Trenton proven strategies?

lmao, that's beautiful! Times change, people change, companies change, strategies change. AFAIK the only exception is War. War never changes.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
I'm supposed to dislike a well respedged publication in GI whom write fantastic articles with well vetted sources and interviews because it would like to know more on why Sony suddenly is going against Andrew house/Jack Trenton proven strategies?

Considering I actually use my ps4 more then any other system that's interesting thanks
I didn't tell you to like or dislike anything, i just said you know what he meant that your a fanboy, if you think your not well more power to you but it should have been obvious what he meant

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
This is a totally useless article and it pretends like E3 was the reason the PS4 did well and Xbox not

I mean.. the article explicitly states that's not what they are saying.

It pretty much covers everything we are saying here.. that it was more based on the mistakes of MS, that Sony could still release info during the week of E3, etc.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I'm supposed to dislike a well respedged publication in GI whom write fantastic articles with well vetted sources and interviews because it would like to know more on why Sony suddenly is going against Andrew house/Jack Trenton proven strategies?

They are calling it, like they see it because you were banned a couple times from these very topic threads. And it's pretty obvious where you stand. This article is one of many that are being written by different publications all about the same topic. That really has been already talked to death, and have a lot of information/examples on why ESA is not what it use to be.

So these articles are kind of at this point simply being put up for clicks instead of meaningful content. GI:Biz usually has some good articles, but I would assume this article is capitalizing on the buzz around Playstation not being at E3.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

If they went into the pro and cons of skipping and details why it would have been a good article.
Right now it's just the same thing repeating again like Guymelef pics shows .

Nov 11, 2017
If they went into the pro and cons of skipping and details why it would have been a good article.
Well the purpose of the article wasn't to point out the pro and cons of going to e3, it was actually to review/point out the change in direction the post andrew house Sony is going into. For example he points out Sony axing the playstation experience which could signfiy they're trying to save money

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That post shows exactly what they're after. They frame their own articles in many different ways to appeal for clicks. they'll have to work a lot less at this once there is some actual news to report, can't be easy or fulfilling having to do all that nonsense.

jobboy

Mar 24, 2018
Almost time for a new OT guys? May you english native argue something related to Sony skipping e3 / having their own blowout?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well the purpose of the article wasn't to point out the pro and cons of going to e3, it was actually to review/point out the change in direction the post andrew house Sony is going into. For example he points out Sony axing the playstation experience which could signfiy they're trying to save money
It's not really about saving money, it's more that new leadership almost always makes changes to put their own stamp on a team, and to challenge conventional organizational thinking.

We expect a company to act one way because they always have acted that way, but that's not, in and of itself, a good reason to continue along that path.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sony axing the playstation experience which could signfiy they're trying to save money

They're saving money by unifying under a worldwide marketing approach. They're financially rock solid after consecutive years of gains, they don't need to penny pinch by cancelling shows. If you see them selling off their buildings again and their shares dropping to junk status, then get out the worry beads to calm the nerves.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
It's not really about saving money, it's more that new leadership almost always makes changes to put their own stamp on a team, and to challenge conventional organizational thinking.

We expect a company to act one way because they always have acted that way, but that's not, in and of itself, a good reason to continue along that path.
And that's basically the discussion the article is having.

It's not some Sony hit piece, I feel like many here didn't bother to read it.

There's plenty of time left before the PS5 launch, loads of details still unknown, and vitally, an entire lineup of games that need to be shown. And there's some evidence that what little the company has already done is working (5 million Instagram likes for a logo that was about as surprising as the PlayStation 5's name?!?), so who am I to criticize it?

It's not the greatest article in the world.. but some of the comments here indicate people didn't read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.