• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
One thing I haven't seen discussed in leaks regarding BC is CD support/playback. Unless there's something being done via software, there's no way PS1 discs could be read. If you recall, PS4 never had CD support (to the chagrin of many prior to launch). Also, technically haven't seen DVD support brought up either, which would be required for PS2 games.

Would there be any actual reason it couldn't play DVDs?

I don't think people would be -that- upset if it supported PS1 BC digitally only.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Would there be any actual reason it couldn't play DVDs?

I don't think people would be -that- upset if it supported PS1 BC digitally only.

Same reason CD support was dropped. Not having to pay for royalties (I think that was their reasoning). But, I think they will for DVD. Many people still watch DVDs. Way fewer people, even in 2013, were still listening to CDs direct from the CD. I think most people that still buy CDs simply copy them to their preferred device (MP3 player, phone, etc.).

As for your second comment, yeah, probably. Personally, I have way more PS1 Classics (from the PSN Store on PS3) than I do physical PS1 discs. I would love if those games, as well as the totality of my PS3/PS4/PSP/PS Vita PSN purchases (even delisted games), show up on PS5 natively.

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Same reason CD support was dropped. Not having to pay for royalties (I think that was their reasoning). But, I think they will for DVD. Many people still watch DVDs. Way fewer people, even in 2013, were still listening to CDs direct from the CD. I think most people that still buy CDs simply copy them to their preferred device (MP3 player, phone, etc.).

As for your second comment, yeah, probably. Personally, I have way more PS1 Classics (from the PSN Store on PS3) than I do physical PS1 discs. I would love if those games, as well as the totality of my PS3/PS4/PSP/PS Vita PSN purchases (even delisted games), show up on PS5 natively.
This would be a great opportunity to revamp PS Now. All you can eat PSX and PS2 games for $10/month? I'd sub just for that.

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
If we do get full BC on PS5, I hope we get EyeToy (PS2) and PlayStation Eye (PS3) camera support. Maybe a new camera that supports all of the camera based games (especially PS Move games).

Best multiplayer game I ever played.

For me, my favorite exclusive MP games/modes on PS3 were Killzone 2, Resistance: Fall of Man (specifically referring to local co-op/split-screen), Uncharted 2 and 3, and of course, Warhawk.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
If we do get full BC on PS5, I hope we get EyeToy (PS2) and PlayStation Eye (PS3) camera support. Maybe a new camera that supports all of the camera based games (especially PS Move games).

For me, my favorite exclusive MP games/modes on PS3 were Killzone 2, Resistance: Fall of Man (specifically referring to local co-op/split-screen), Uncharted 2 and 3, and of course, Warhawk.

Honestly me too. UC2/3's multiplayer was amazing. KZ2 multiplayer was flat out incredible. Gosh I loved it. KZ3 multiplayer was great too. I sadly... sadly... did not get a chance to play warhawk which seemed amazing. But starhawk was great too and a lot of fun.

Sonys multiplayer games last gen were fantastic and sadly they didnt manage to do as good as a job this gen. I hope we get a new killzone

EdReedFan20

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly me too. UC2/3's multiplayer was amazing. KZ2 multiplayer was flat out incredible. Gosh I loved it. KZ3 multiplayer was great too. I sadly... sadly... did not get a chance to play warhawk which seemed amazing. But starhawk was great too and a lot of fun.

Sonys multiplayer games last gen were fantastic and sadly they didnt manage to do as good as a job this gen. I hope we get a new killzone

As for Warhawk, I got to play it one last time via PS Now. It was such a nice blast from the past for me.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Talking about KZ MP, I don't think camping was ever an issue either. Playing Warzone everyone was consistently on the move.
Yeah we need KZ MP back.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Could tell that the leak is fake just from seeing this:
· New Motorstorm Title from Codemasters (2021)

Both because my heart couldn't take it and I think Sony has thoroughly burned bridges with ex-Liverpool & Evo staff, then Codemasters themselves stomped the burning embers into the ground after acquiring Evo and executing them themselves.

Why did Sony & Codies have to wombo-combo Evo :(

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
You guys won't get another Killzone. They've never been very successful. Especially compared to Sony's/Guerillas recent titles.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
That head shot chirp was the best. Plus Radec yelling at you
"Assassination. You are the target!"

It was a kill chirp, though. If it'd been for headshots only I would've heard it a lot less.

Talking about KZ MP, I don't think camping was ever an issue either. Playing Warzone everyone was consistently on the move.
You could get trapped in spawn on Tharsis Refinery. But the bigger maps it was a lot harder.

Personae

Oct 29, 2017
KZ 2 MP was amazing. I believe we can get another one. Only thing we need to do is make Huber (from EZA) dream about it. Believe. And with one pastebin we can be millions of believers.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You'll never get full BC because of PS2 and PS3. A lot of games just require individual hacks to get working.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see OsirisBlack says no dev he has spoken to confirms any BC outside of PS4... but, that could be a huge bombshell for Sony and that may just be them keeping it under wraps. Also, dev kits or white papers dont need to talk BC with developers, they don't need to know anything..

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Assuming that's what FFXVI uses. IIRC, all we know about Luminous Engine usage at the moment is that Luminous Studio is making a new IP with it. FFXVI may very well use UE4.
Wait really? Could've sworn that I read something saying that SE had trouble utilizing their Luminous engine to its full potential when developing FF15 due to the fact that it was really advanced and by the time their next few projects get developed LE would be ready to use to the max, using UE4 when by the time FF16 releases (probably in the next 4 - 5 years knowing SE) the Luminous engine should be fully operational to its limits for next gen sounds odd to me.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Wait really? Could've sworn that I read something saying that SE had trouble utilizing their Luminous engine to its full potential when developing FF15 due to the fact that it was really advanced and by the time their next few projects get developed LE would be ready to use to the max, using UE4 when by the time FF16 releases (probably in the next 4 - 5 years knowing SE) the Luminous engine should be fully operational to its limits for next gen sounds odd to me.

Well you may be entirely correct, I don't know. I'm just saying that we don't know for sure. I heard the same things about Luminous, that it needed more time and more powerful hardware. On the other hand, they could've decided that UE4 was just easier to use. I'll be interested to find out, and I would love to see FFXVI get announced at the PS Meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.