• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Slight off topic ! Nvidia is going all out for next gen (20-16gb VRAM)

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7005...070-leaked-specs-up-20gb-gddr6-ram/index.html
The article implies that consumer cards are likely to have 8GB for the 3070 and 10GB for the 3080. Doesn't that seem a bit low for vram considering that in about a year most games will be developed with 16GB+ consoles in mind? Or are we expecting Nvidia to launch 4000 series true next gen cards next year?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see OsirisBlack says no dev he has spoken to confirms any BC outside of PS4... but, that could be a huge bombshell for Sony and that may just be them keeping it under wraps. Also, dev kits or white papers dont need to talk BC with developers, they don't need to know anything..

To be honest I don't think that many people care about BC beyond PS4 for Sony to care. Yes we care but the majority don't.

Jun 10, 2018
The article implies that consumer cards are likely to have 8GB for the 3070 and 10GB for the 3080. Doesn't that seem a bit low for vram considering that in about a year most games will be developed with 16GB+ consoles in mind? Or are we expecting Nvidia to launch 4000 series true next gen cards next year?
Probably not. If the next-gen consoles do have 16GB, they will either reserve 3GB - 4GB for the OS. Leaving 12GB - 13GB for games but that has to be split between VRAM and System RAM. That split is up to developers. So the 3070 and 3080 would have no problem with VRAM.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Probably not. If the next-gen consoles do have 16GB, they will either reserve 3GB - 4GB for the OS. Leaving 12GB - 13GB for games but that has to be split between VRAM and System RAM. That split is up to developers. So the 3070 and 3080 would have no problem with VRAM.
I hope a more tech savvy user here can help me out, but I was under the assumption that since nextgen consoles are going to be targeting 4k resolution as base, then they would require more RAM than current gen games. Even with the faster SSD feeding it, having 12GB for games seems a bit low.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I hope a more tech savvy user here can help me out, but I was under the assumption that since nextgen consoles are going to be targeting 4k resolution as base, then they would require more RAM than current gen games. Even with the faster SSD feeding it, having 12GB for games seems a bit low.

Shadow of War at max settings used about 8 to 9 gb of Graphics RAM and it hits 4k/60 with a 2080ti that only has 11gb ram.
So it is possible. However SoW is two years old now.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
To be honest I don't think that many people care about BC beyond PS4 for Sony to care. Yes we care but the majority don't.

Don't worry. I am sure BC for all past PlayStation gens will happen. Why would any third part dev or even first party ones know or talk about BC for older gens now? It's something has to be prepared internally within the studios designing the PS5 itself. I don't think any devkit was sent any devkit that may have full PS5 features like BC because they don't need it right now (except PS4 BC which they need in case they want to update the graphics in-house).

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry. I am sure BC for all past PlayStation gens will happen. Why would any third part dev or even first party ones know or talk about BC for older gens now? It's something has to be prepared internally within the studios designing the PS5 itself. I don't think any devkit was sent any devkit that may have full PS5 features like BC because they don't need it right now (except PS4 BC which they need in case they want to update the graphics in-house).

I think the entire idea is a fan theory that's been repeated in so many fake leaks people want to believe it's happening.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
BC makes some business sense for Sony for gamepass - one set of ps5 servers for ps3/4/5. Otherwise I think they'd potentially start removing ps3 games from the service

Ps1/2 they already have emulators for

if they do offer it - I'd expect digital only. That allows them to control which games (in case of not all games working properly or needing patches). Also I think it'd cost too much to add a drive that is compatible

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Well you may be entirely correct, I don't know. I'm just saying that we don't know for sure. I heard the same things about Luminous, that it needed more time and more powerful hardware. On the other hand, they could've decided that UE4 was just easier to use. I'll be interested to find out, and I would love to see FFXVI get announced at the PS Meeting.
Same, honestly it all boils down to when the game comes out, in the next 2 to 3 years then UE4 for faster development, or the next 4+ years then LE to make full use of the next gen consoles mid generation.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
Is there information or foresight about the "input lag" on the PS5 and XBOX Series? This is very important for me.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see no single technical reason for it to not happen. We have more reasons for it to happen than not.

But it doesn't make financial sense to Sony. It's not going to move consoles because outside the core market not enough cares about PS1/2/3 and the good games of that gen got remastered to PS4 anyway. I mean I want it of course but I hope you got my point.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
But it doesn't make financial sense to Sony. It's not going to move consoles because outside the core market not enough cares about PS1/2/3 and the good games of that gen got remastered to PS4 anyway. I mean I want it of course but I hope you got my point.

plus if they do it, its likely only for digital purchases so people will be pissed off anyway if it doesn't play their discs (PS4 couldn't even read CDs I think)

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
RIP OT9
pou_7153.png

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

They can make profits by selling BC games on the store just like Xbox. If MS does it, I don't see why Sony can't do it.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
You know I tried but I was soooo laggy for me I couldn't do it. Really hope for a PS5 version.
See, this is where things get interesting. When people hope for BC with ps1-3, are they expecting upscaled visuals, higher frame rates, other fixes/enhancements, or just a straight 1:1 copy of the original with same visuals, frame rates, etc? I assume the 1st. Now, are people expecting that to be done by devs on a game by game basis or do they think it's gonna be an automatic thing done by hardware?
This is why I think bc with anything but PS4 is very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.