• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
YES SUCK IT PRE-MARCHERS
I mean please give us something soon Sony

Also, fun little article from IGN on the XSeX here.

Wild speculation indeed. With a $400 APU that's gonna be a tf printing machine. Not to mention they were on the no controller bandwagon first.
Sigh IGN....

How can a "gaming" website that's been around for o long be sooooooo ignorant and out of touch?

At the very least, the absolute very least they should know that an APU isn't a discrete CPU and GPU.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Sigh IGN....

How can a "gaming" website that's been around for o long be sooooooo ignorant and out of touch?

At the very least, the absolute very least they should know that an APU isn't a discrete CPU and GPU.

I don't think anyone can take ign seriously since the 720p doesn't matter videos. That damage can never be undone. Seeing more inane speculation from them just confirms that they have nothing of value to offer to anyone.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Btw, just saw that Tonky deleted his account... 😐
No @Tonky 😢

OptimusPrimeDEATH.gif

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do we agree that Osiris Black is an impostor?
im still unsure about this... the whole specs of PS5 > Xbox Series X
then
Xbox Series X > PS5
then
PS5 > Xbox Series X

and now

Xbox Series X > PS5 makes no sense to me... this isn't a Ford VS Ferrari flying lap around Circuit De La Sarthe here... devs will have white paper specs detailing what they will get at retail. It's not like Sony and MS are hard at work engineering SoC's on the fly just before they release a new dev kit. Thats my first issue with what he says...
The next is... with PS4 we knew PS4 would have 1.84TFlops of GPU power 2 years before launch. What we didn't know was how that would work. Steamroller CPUs, dual GPU setups (dual 6770 gpu's in dev kits presumably) until we got a solid rumor of it being based on a 7870.
So.. devs arent privy to how Sony will get their white paper specs, but they know they will hit them, because by launch, devs need to know what specs their console game will run on. Hence why final dev kits are finalized before release.
Which brings me to a third point... Klee and Matt have seen white paper specs. I assume because they outright dismissed Github leak numbers. They said PS5 and Xbox Series X are greater than what Github says Oberon is. So.. devs (just like the PS4's 1.84TFlop rumor numbers floating around nearly 2 years before release) have those target specs. They also know Sony and MS will hit those specs, well, from experience, they know they have done so before.

But Osiris makes it seem like devs aren't sure if they can get more power, but they're going to try!
To me... thats what makes him questionable. Devs will know by know. Devs would know from last years E3 what specs both companies are aiming for. But if you read into what it says... it's a dramatic race for the finish line and that makes no sense.

Maybe he knows things but is just being dramatic. Idk. But honestly, I still trust Klee. I feel Klee has seen white paper specs, much like the 1.84TFlop number for the PS4 in 2011/2012. It just wouldn't say specifics (like what GPU, specific CPU their using)
Maybe something like

8 Core 16 threads at 3.2Ghz (X86)
13.23TFlop Navi GPU
16GB GDDR6+4GB DDR4

Pure speculation on my side.. but it's how I guess devs see white paper documentation.

Last edited:

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Klee said we would have something in February for the PS5, right? ... RoninStrife

Maybe Klee had a secret plan to get as many people to end up having dubious avatars on era as possible.. and I fell for their sick game.

Still sticking with Feb 25th.. despite the conference cancellations... I have the contract I signed in blood prevents me from cancelling my bet.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Klee had a secret plan to get as many people to end up having dubious avatars on era as possible.. and I fell for his sick game.

Still sticking with Feb 25th.. despite the conference cancellations... I have the contract I signed in blood prevents me from cancelling my bet.

Transistor is Klee's alt account. :O

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If Sony really are pulling out of events because of the coronavirus, it would be weird for them to do their own event and invite people to them at the moment.

My guess is they have delayed it for now and will do it in a month or two or just do a pre-recorded State of Play, if the virus shows no signs of being under control anytime soon.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Klee said we would have something in February for the PS5, right? ... RoninStrife
But.. just because Corona Virus happened, things could have changed. If Sony continued to go to GDC, Pax etc, you could say "yeah.. Klee said February we will hear something... Sony is still doing every other event, so why no big PS5 show?", but I think the fact Sony as a company (not just the Playstation division) is pulling out of every show (cellphone shows too) shows it could be that the PS5 reveal is on ice until they decide on whats up with the Coronavirus outbreak.

That is a possibility too.

I don't think we should dismiss what he said just because he said February.
He also said Series X would be revealed at VGA.. we have never had a console reveal there before, that was pretty unprecedented, yet it happend.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
then
Xbox Series X > PS5
then
PS5 > Xbox Series X

and now

Xbox Series X > PS5 makes no sense to me... this isn't a Ford VS Ferrari flying lap around Circuit De La Sarthe here... devs will have white paper specs detailing what they will get at retail. It's not like Sony and MS are hard at work engineering SoC's on the fly just before they release a new dev kit. Thats my first issue with what he says...
The next is... with PS4 we knew PS4 would have 1.84TFlops of GPU power 2 years before launch. What we didn't know was how that would work. Steamroller CPUs, dual GPU setups (dual 6770 gpu's in dev kits presumably) until we got a solid rumor of it being based on a 7870.
So.. devs arent privy to how Sony will get their white paper specs, but they know they will hit them, because by launch, devs need to know what specs their console game will run on. Hence why final dev kits are finalized before release.
Which brings me to a third point... Klee and Matt have seen white paper specs. I assume because they outright dismissed Github leak numbers. They said PS5 and Xbox Series X are greater than what Github says Oberon is. So.. devs (just like the PS4's 1.84TFlop rumor numbers floating around nearly 2 years before release) have those target specs. They also know Sony and MS will hit those specs, well, from experience, they know they have done so before.

But Osiris makes it seem like devs aren't sure if they can get more power, but they're going to try!
To me... thats what makes him questionable. Devs will know by know. Devs would know from last years E3 what specs both companies are aiming for. But if you read into what it says... it's a dramatic race for the finish line and that makes no sense.

Maybe he knows things but is just being dramatic. Idk. But honestly, I still trust Klee. I feel Klee has seen white paper specs, much like the 1.84TFlop number for the PS4 in 2011/2012. It just wouldn't say specifics (like what GPU, specific CPU their using)
Maybe something like

13.23TFlop Navi GPU
16GB GDDR6+4GB DDR4

Pure speculation on my side.. but it's how I guess devs see white paper documentation.
That's how I see it too. Devs would have a very solid idea of what they would be getting by the end of this year. And they would have had that idea since early last year. It's absolutely essential because they are making games for consoles. Yes, a few things may change from whatever they got in their docs and what is released but it wouldn't be night and day type differences. The power crown may even shift but that would mean that in either direction they were always close, to begin with.
If Sony really are pulling out of events because of the coronavirus, it would be weird for them to do their own event and invite people to them at the moment.

My guess is they have delayed it for now and will do it in a month or two or just do a pre-recorded State of Play, if the virus shows no signs of being under control anytime soon.
I think everything they did last year and how they have been drip-feeding random bits of info about the PS5 suggests that an SoP reveal has always been their intention.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a SoP is announced then on twitter they answer to someone asking if they would talk about the PS5 with a simple "yes".

And if you think about it, what exactly is the point of having a live conference/meeting to reveal the PS5? For the odd 200-500 people in attendance when tens of millions of people would be simultaneously watching it too? They are better off doing their SoP, then releasing press material simultaneously to the media.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's how I see it too. Devs would have a very solid idea of what they would be getting by the end of this year. And they would have had that idea since early last year. It's absolutely essential because they are making games for consoles. Yes, a few things may change from whatever they got in their docs and what is released but it wouldn't be night and day type differences. The power crown may even shift but that would mean that in either direction they were always close, to begin with.

I think everything they did last year and how they have been drip-feeding random bits of info about the PS5 suggests that an SoP reveal has always been their intention.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a SoP is announced then on twitter they answer to someone asking if they would talk about the PS5 with a simple "yes", but devs arent expecting like a 1TFlop gain or something. Osiris said something like "both manufacturers are aiming for 12TFLOPS + and devs dont know if one or either will make it!"

And if you think about it, what exactly is the point of having a live conference/meeting to reveal the PS5? For the odd 200-500 people in attendance when tens of millions of people would be simultaneously watching it too? They are better off doing their SoP, then releasing press material simultaneously to the media.
Yeah, Im sure all they can do is up clocks etc with little variance,

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if a SoP is announced then on twitter they answer to someone asking if they would talk about the PS5 with a simple "yes".

It seem that way and it makes sense really.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am tempted to post today as my prediction just so Transistor can find a twisted gun silencer image for my avatar

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

Interview of Adshir CEO and a raytracing technology.

Thanks for the video. I guess Reuven was in school before English was a mandatory class here in Israel :)
YES SUCK IT PRE-MARCHERS
I mean please give us something soon Sony

Also, fun little article from IGN on the XSeX here.

Wild speculation indeed. With a $400 APU that's gonna be a tf printing machine. Not to mention they were on the no controller bandwagon first.
It's probably going to be closer to 200$. IGN are great in a lot of areas, technical info isn't one of them :)
They should hire a technical reporter, someone who can help all of the other staffers when they want to write about more technical things.

then
Xbox Series X > PS5
then
PS5 > Xbox Series X

and now

Maybe something like

13.23TFlop Navi GPU
16GB GDDR6+4GB DDR4

According to Window Central, before 2018 the XSX was a sub-10TF machine and in 2018 MS went with a new 12TF target. If that's true, I'm sure it spun a lot of misinformation in the insider community, a lot of contradicting data from a lot of data points basing their knowledge on two different XSX setups and maybe even two different PS5 setups. IMO all the insider reports are one big cluster-F because of that.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the video. I guess Reuven was in school before English was a mandatory class here in Israel :)

It's probably going to be closer to 200$. IGN are great in a lot of areas, technical info isn't one of them :)
They should hire a technical reporter, someone who can help all of the other staffers when they want to write about more technical things.

According to Window Central, before 2018 the XSX was a sub-10TF machine and in 2018 MS went with a new 12TF target. If that's true, I'm sure it spun a lot of misinformation in the insider community, a lot of contradicting data from a lot of data points basing their knowledge on two different XSX setups and maybe even two different PS5 setups. IMO all the insider reports are one big cluster-F because of that.
I wholeheartedly agree with Jason though.
And Reiner. Both had first hand dev information, Jason had 5-10 or even more sources and he basically said. .
Both are powerful
Both are so simmarly specced, it comes down to services being the only market differentiator for next gen.

So we know where they fall in comparison to each other.
It rules out Oberon as final SoC, according to Jason, who mentioned what kind of pc GPU power to expect.
Im mostly suspect of leaks suggesting a big gulf between them, I dont expect that at all.
Jason and his sources have no horse in this race. Im thinking thats the most accurate reporting we got.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Personally, I find people tend to pick and choose which sources and leaks to lend credence, based on what they want to be true.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? It's Friday. It's evening. And I've started drinking. Let's get this show on the road!

Well, what a week, and we still have a ways to go. It's Friday, and I want to get to drinking, so what do you say we just get started with this, hmm? Sound good?

9a294cf7c2b8746a073a774f66f9e074.gif

Okay, then! Coastel, jayu26, hanmik. Please step forward. For the crimes of picking the wrong reveal date for the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to public avatar shaming.

Coastel, you should really take care of yourself. Have a nice ergonomic chair to help with that!

dZYxn0j.png

jayu26, always remember to keep one foot in front of the other!

OXRnVIM.png

hanmik, keep that inner child alive by representing some kid's artwork!

jx8JDoS.png

That's it for tonight, everyone! Come back tomorrow for more fun!

Do you think my actions are going too far, Nick?

tumblr_o1dvqbzapP1uj5p90o4_500.gifv

Well that's good. Let's go drink.
My Patrick Star avatar will be missed.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
And Reiner. Both had first hand dev information, Jason had 5-10 or even more sources and he basically said. .
Both are powerful
Both are so simmarly specced, it comes down to services being the only market differentiator for next gen.

It rules out Oberon as final SoC, according to Jason, who mentioned what kind of pc GPU power to expect.
Im mostly suspect of leaks suggesting a big gulf between them, I dont expect that at all.
Jason and his sources have no horse in this race. Im thinking thats the most accurate reporting we got.
Jason implied there will be difference in SSD but that he doesn't know the impact on performance.
Also stated Sony message was about accessibility (no load times)

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jason implied there will be difference in SSD but that he doesn't know the impact on performance.
Also stated Sony message was about accessibility (no load times)
Yes. Forgot about that. The ball is in Sony's court to show us as consumers how that works to our benefit.
Im sure on the flipside, MS has a massive advantage with Gamepass. Dont think anything Sony can do to counter gamepass. If they throw in 1, 2 or even 3 years gamepass when buying Lockhart or Series X, it will be a big draw. Im sure they can leverage that as a major positive.

The SSD tech in the Series X did leak (Or was that disproven?), Jason said there would be a difference between the he PS5/Series X's SSD tech before that leak.. , I took it as the Series X had relatively normal SSD tech, while Sony will tout "no load times", and the Wired article said Sony's tech wasnt even available to the PC market at that point.Lisa Su also implied it's more than just a PCIE4 difference, as Sony has some proprietary tech in it. It all just makes Jason's reporting most believable to me. Saying No load times implies it's a major pillar in Sony's strategy to sell us PS5.

I saw a compilation of every rumor in the run up to PS4s release and Jason's reporting was most accurate from any of the gaming sites back then, the guy is very thorough with his reporting.

Feb 10, 2018
then
Xbox Series X > PS5
then
PS5 > Xbox Series X

and now

Maybe something like

13.23TFlop Navi GPU
16GB GDDR6+4GB DDR4

We know the XsX's Soc is roughly 400mm² which is massive it really is unprecedented, no one thought either next gen was going to go that big.
So I don't think Sony will have more CU's , I think it will come down to what the initial design was, and how aggressive or conservative they were.
It could just be ps5 was planning on 56cus and 1800mhz all along and MS was planning for 56cus @ 1700mhz, Both are ambitious targets, but with this level of difference things could change. It just does not make sense to me that Sony would be so ambitious so the xsx would be completely out of reach, a 400mm² is already pushing the boat way out.
While I think it's possible Sony also had lofty design goals I don't think they will have more cus and a vastly superior cooling system, considering that xsx is already very ambitious, it just does not make business sense and would be a detour on there recent hardware path.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
With all this talk about SSD and streaming improvements, I am reminded of what a good time it would be for next gen consoles to host the successor to perhaps the only game of its kind, with more diverse levels and perhaps even more agile combat:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Im sure on the flipside, MS has a massive advantage with Gamepass. Dont think anything Sony can do to counter gamepass. If they throw in 1, 2 or even 3 years gamepass when buying Lockhart or Series X, it will be a big draw. Im sure they can leverage that as a major positive.

I'm no Insider, but I'll go on the record as saying there's a 0% chance Microsoft "throw in" 2 or 3 YEARS of Game Pass, lol. Even one year I'd give extremely long odds. You're getting 3-6 months at most.

Three years of making absolutely no revenue from any of their first-party games? To sell a console that is also probably going to be priced at a loss? I'd love to sit in that theoretical business meeting.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Both are powerful

Jason keeps repeating every time he speaks about next-gen hardware to not quote him on what he said. In Splitscreen he always ballparks and speaks in very general tearms. He also said that developers told him that the most important upgrade this coming gen are the SSD and CPU.

I'll be honest, I find it extremely weird that Sony has some secrete APU that never was uncovered while we are less than 9 months from launch. It had never happen before, I can't recall a console that had a GPU with zero leaks so late in the development process. So if PS5's GPU isn't Oberon or Ariel, that will be a first in console history.

Jan 20, 2019
I'm no Insider, but I'll go on the record as saying there's a 0% chance Microsoft "throw in" 2 or 3 YEARS of Game Pass, lol. Even one year I'd give extremely long odds. You're getting 3-6 months at most.

Three years of making absolutely no revenue from any of their first-party games? To sell a console that is also probably going to be priced at a loss? I'd love to sit in that theoretical business meeting.

You dont need to be a insider or economist to know that.

No company in their right mind will lose money on hardware and softwarem specealy stuff like 200$ loss on hardware with free gamepass.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
Keep in mind when talking about Klee saying a February reveal, he never said it publicly, just in a DM. It never seemed as he had full confidence in it, and as the saying goes, things change.

Papilloma

Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind when talking about Klee saying a February reveal, he never said it publicly, just in a DM. It never seemed as he had full confidence in it, and as the saying goes, things change.

There's also no reason to think that Klee would have knowledge of when the reveal was going to be. His information about the console specs came from a developer friend, and he is no longer a game journalist. I doubt that his developer friend would know the information about the reveal, and Klee never spoke of any other sources.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

3 months at launch to play through Christmas. In February, with probably not a lots of games to launch, what do you do ? You subscribe to the service.
Jason keeps repeating every time he speaks about next-gen hardware to not quote him on what he said.
Not true

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
3 months at launch to play through Christmas. In February, with probably not a lots of games to launch, what do you do ? You subscribe to the service.

This is my guess. Makes for a powerful value-add at launch, to have stuff like Halo Infinite given effectively "for free" due to Game Pass. One month is too short to make a difference. Six months is too long to make economic sense for Microsoft. Three months is the sweet spot.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With all this talk about SSD and streaming improvements, I am reminded of what a good time it would be for next gen consoles to host the successor to perhaps the only game of its kind, with more diverse levels and perhaps even more agile combat:

a game like Vanquish might not benefit that much other than having longer levels with no forced walking or choke points. but even those are mitigated well now. open world games with very fast movement, on the other hand, will benefit more

TibimusPrime

Nov 26, 2017
Do we agree that Osiris Black is an impostor?
No, i mean, why ? he delivered his goods on the other forum, same as other insiders that were ''driven out'' and i mean that in a lighthearted way, from this forum. Same as that one user from here that is a psvr developer, he also moved there. They at least managed to get some great conversations going.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone believe Osiris? He refused to give mods what they needed for verification and took off lol

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jason only goes on record when it comes to bummer articles like EA cancelling star wars games, anthem development being a shitshow and poor treatment of devs in the industry.

we need some new positive news Jason. times are tough. trump keeps getting away with everything. coronavirus is now in italy, iran, south korea, chicago, canada and japan. we just had our warmest jan and feb on record. switch is the fastest selling console ever. sony is cancelling conferences left and right. i burned my hashbrowns this morning. we need some positive news.

we need you to confirm 14 tflops and hbm. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.