• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Prove yourself then, place a bet.
giphy.gif

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm beginning to think the reveal might not be until late April or even May.

Sony and MS are also maybe waiting on each other so they can go second and react to the others show to one up it.

This could go on for a while lol...

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many ps5 games do you think will be announced before Sony shows anything about the console?

Right now we have 2.
My guess is 8

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
I was not mentally ready to answer your question. ;-)

Lets say TFLOP are like hp/kw for cars.
There are 2 cars, both have 105hp/77kw ("TFLOP").
The car named GCN has a 1.2liter engine
The car named RDNA has a 2.0liter engine.

RDNA will have more power, and you also will feel it.

Nobody, really nobody would say:
"Hey, that RDNA and GCN car, they have not the same engine. What is the conversion rate on those hp/kw?"
Ooooh a shitty car analogy! Not had one of those in a while.

GCN car has a 120 hp engine, but a shitty gearbox and bald tyres.
RDNA car has the same 120 hp engine, a much better gearbox, and racing slicks.

Both cars have the same power in the engine, but differences in the transmission chain to the road mean the RDNA car leaves the GCN car in the dust.

The Series X can accelerate twice as fast as the One X. We know it has an RDNA transmission. The engine doesn't have to put out twice the horsepower to achieve that. But journalists are not good at math, so you can hoodwink them into thinking it does. Phil on the other hand, does not want to be caught in a lie, so he, and his staff NEVER tell you the actual output of the engine. Just that the whole car is twice as fast, which quite frankly, is the only thing that ACTUALLY matters. Unless you're playing top-trumps console war edition.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Ooooh a shitty car analogy!

Well, yeah, it is shitty.
But i believe, or want to believe, that this easy chart i brought up makes the difference between GCN and RDNA architecture and their relation to the TFLOP metric understandable.
Of course you can mock it, and ask if the one is a used car or if the other car has a turbo injection.
Well, i tried my best.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I'm beginning to think the reveal might not be until late April or even May.

Sony and MS are also maybe waiting on each other so they can go second and react to the others show to one up it.

This could go on for a while lol...
This is exactly where we are here. MS said they would ba at E3, but what before ?
Microsoft already went at the TGAs.
And show a box and an "in engine" trailer. If that's enough for you, good.
How many ps5 games do you think will be announced before Sony shows anything about the console?

Right now we have 2.
My guess is 8
Gods & Monsters, Watch Dogs Legion, and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Quarantine are all cross gen titles
+ Godfall
+ BGE2 definitively a NG title
+ The Lord of the Rings: Gollum

So we already at 6 :)

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Has there been any talk about how the games as a service games are going to work?
We know, or we assume, that there'll be backwards compatability... is it just that the current gen games will run on next gen hardware? will we see updates to make them next gen? will they have cross play with current gen?
I suppose the game client will run in PS4/XB1 mode and nothing will change, at least only if the publisher decide to provide next-gen patch for their existing software?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What I'm curious about with RDNA versus GCN, is that with the higher efficiency in pure graphics performance, due to improved cache layout and bandwidth, together with the other feature additions like Wave32, does that mean that asynchronous compute performance is lower for a GPU of a similar TF rating?

Essentially, if the RDNA improvements imply higher shader core utilisation, then surely that means there are less scheduling gaps to fill with asynch-compute tasks, right?

I note that the 5700xt has less ACEs than the PS4.

cc: anexanhume, Locuza, Fafalada, dgrdsv, Miniature Kaiju

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
And talked a bit about specs. We know a decent amount more about Microsoft's plans than Sony's at this point, so Microsoft can afford to wait longer before showing more.
SONY is the leader of this gen, they can afford to wait way longer than its competitor.
And the fact MS didn't talked about Scralett show that they really didn't told us their plan... at all.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
So removing choice and affecting smaller business? Still doesn't sound great.

It enabled the ability to treat a physical copy like a digital one; would have allowed the "2 copies for 1 price" thing we get with digital.. digital library sharing, etc. (while also being able to sell your copy, albeit not as openly/easily as before)

Overall it had pluses and minuses. For someone who never sells their used games, it was largely pluses.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Most folks probably weren't aware/conscious because MS's messaging back then was godawful. It was all over the place.

Thankfully they've come a long way from those dark days.
Yeah they should have focused on the positives more and honestly talked about the negatives later.

A response to Sony's video for instance.. could have been someone getting an alert that a friend wants to borrow a game on their Xbox, and that person choosing "OK" from across the world.

I do think no matter what the license unlock system would PROBABLY have been fraught with issues, had trouble at retailers.. might even end up buying used games that aren't actually unlocked, etc. They needed to be testing that kind of thing for a long time and I don't think they did.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Yeah so do I but I was just curious how the math worked, either way knowing Sony they will deliver I am not worried. Games in 2 years will really look next gen as devs will have more experience with the system and all. Can't wait until than but I am also curious to see how the first gens of next gen games will look like at the beginning and how they will mature as time goes on.

Amazing months to come. Day one for me and I'am an avid PC gamer well equipped, but I love my PS, had them all and will keep doing so....

Code:
<floating point operations per second> = <clockrate> * <number of shaders/SIMD lane> * 2

I don't know where the "2" comes from, but apparently that's how it works.
Plus the TF figure never directly appeared in the GitHub leak, it was calculated based on other metrics.

Edit:
The formula is for theoretical peak performance, which is what we have been referring to all this time. Teraflops itself is just a unit of measurement.

So given a TF figure under the context of theoretical peak performance, it gives us the representation of the overall size and clock rate of the GPU, irrespective of the architectural efficiency.

However, if the TF figure is from running some benchmark (e.g. Linpack), the figure is indicative of actual performance, not necessarily size and clock rate.

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
The reveal of the whole specs + price during E3 would be perfect IMO:

- They already revealed the PS5 twice so there is no hurry
- E3 is just after TLOU2 release
- They are going to steal MS show.
- The perfect time to start the pre-orders

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah they should have focused on the positives more and honestly talked about the negatives later.

A response to Sony's video for instance.. could have been someone getting an alert that a friend wants to borrow a game on their Xbox, and that person choosing "OK" from across the world.

I do think no matter what the license unlock system would PROBABLY have been fraught with issues, had trouble at retailers.. might even end up buying used games that aren't actually unlocked, etc. They needed to be testing that kind of thing for a long time and I don't think they did.

Yeah I think the whole messaging made it seem like the actual practical implementation had been an afterthought.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
T
Ooooh a shitty car analogy! Not had one of those in a while.

GCN car has a 120 hp engine, but a shitty gearbox and bald tyres.
RDNA car has the same 120 hp engine, a much better gearbox, and racing slicks.

Both cars have the same power in the engine, but differences in the transmission chain to the road mean the RDNA car leaves the GCN car in the dust.

The Series X can accelerate twice as fast as the One X. We know it has an RDNA transmission. The engine doesn't have to put out twice the horsepower to achieve that. But journalists are not good at math, so you can hoodwink them into thinking it does. Phil on the other hand, does not want to be caught in a lie, so he, and his staff NEVER tell you the actual output of the engine. Just that the whole car is twice as fast, which quite frankly, is the only thing that ACTUALLY matters. Unless you're playing top-trumps console war edition.
hats all fine if Phil said performance he did not he said 2x the power so the horsepower is the key you're looking at 120hp to 240hp so it is twice the power. No performance efficiencies to account for because they weren't brought up

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
T

hats all fine if Phil said performance he did not he said 2x the power so the horsepower is the key you're looking at 120hp to 240hp so it is twice the power. No performance efficiencies to account for because they weren't brought up

Thinking that there is a clear and consistent distinction between power and performance in off the cuff PR is a mistake.

The whole point of using a vague multiplier instead of coming out and clearly stating TFs is to be deliberately ambiguous.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
T

Oh come on.

Don't use my car analogy for something like that.
That will not work.

Nov 11, 2017
Microsoft already went at the TGAs.
Microsoft haven't "went" ,they announced the name and showed the box. A shit ton of more things we need to know like the below

confirmed specs
Confirmation on new features
Confirmation on UI
Confirmation on lockhart?
Confirmation on new services? How does gamepass tie in
Conformation on games? What are the launch titles they haven't shown one

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Tflops are a measure of GPU power architectural efficiencies should never be taken into account for that as GCN could still outperform RDNA in certain tasks and vice verso so yes the 120 to 240 comment not only holds weight it is far more accurate than looking at tires and transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.