• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First off the Xbox One would not have outsold the PS4 and the moment the poster is putting up was the fact Sony had the better product and at 100 dollars cheaper. The switch is selling due to software especially launching with a new Zelda while also advertising a new Mario designed the way people have been begging for.
I know that moment posted. I'll concede that it may not have out sold but it sure as hell would have performed better than it did. Speaking of Zelda and a new Mario, that didn't the help Wii U to any success, never mind the awful name.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
The Xbox One would have outsold the PS4 if it was not $100 more. So, no, I don't think power always determines the winner. See the Switch.

That sounds like a different timeline.
So we would have now tv series from xbox, that are exclusive to xbox one, like a Halo series from Steven Spielberg.
Also you could only use your games if you refresh your license every 24hrs.
There would be nothing like game pass in sight.
Maybe a lot of kinect games would have released, also you could play fantasy football against your friends while on skype.

That would change everything.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too sure what I'm about to say and feel free to correct/educate me but but does this mean that lets say the github leak is what people say it is and it still stands today (I am not trying to start a fight or anything) that if PS5 is 9.2 RDNA it would mean that it would be close to 7 - 7.2 GNC ? and if that so, would it mean that this figure would be slightly more powerful than the XoX ?

This does not make sense at all...Far from being next gen Gpu wise at least compared to this current one we have...

So 9.2 or whatever figure that is in that leak must be GNC right ? That would equal 11.2 or something the likes ??

Is this possible or the leak confirmed it was already RDNA figures ?

An 9.2 RDNA GPU with 1.25 relative performance gains might perform similar to 11.25 GCN GPU

Remember this is all an approximation, it is not cut and dry, it is also why I don't care for these conversions much. Don't place a lot of stock in this type of analysis. There are so very many factors getting lumped together in a linear expression and it just doesn't work this way, but it can approximate for closely related comparisons.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not too sure what I'm about to say and feel free to correct/educate me but but does this mean that lets say the github leak is what people say it is and it still stands today (I am not trying to start a fight or anything) that if PS5 is 9.2 RDNA it would mean that it would be close to 7 - 7.2 GNC ? and if that so, would it mean that this figure would be slightly more powerful than the XoX ?

This does not make sense at all...Far from being next gen Gpu wise at least compared to this current one we have...

So 9.2 or whatever figure that is in that leak must be GNC right ? That would equal 11.2 or something the likes ??

Is this possible or the leak confirmed it was already RDNA figures ?

I hate that this "conversion" is a thing, because the whole concept is flawed and people really shouldn't be doing it at all. That having been said, you're doing the conversion backwards. RDNA would "convert" to more GCN TFLOPs not less.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I get headaches

I really want to know from where people get those
GCN TFLOP and RDNA TFLOP metrics from?
There is no GCN TFLOP and RDNA TFLOP, it is TFLOP, that is one metric,
there is no conversion, it is TFLOP.
The new RDNA architecture is just more efficient, and does more per TFLOP, but it doesn't have their own metric.

GCN and RDNA are even just names for the architectures of the company AMD.

Lets see what conversion between SONY TFLOP and XBOX TFLOP will be. ;-)

Last edited:

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
An 9.2 RDNA GPU with 1.25 relative performance gains might perform similar to 11.25 GCN GPU

Remember this is all an approximation, it is not cut and dry, it is also why I don't care for these conversions much. Don't place a lot of stock in this type of analysis. There are so very many factors getting lumped together in a linear expression and it just doesn't work this way, but it can approximate for closely related comparisons.

Yeah so do I but I was just curious how the math worked, either way knowing Sony they will deliver I am not worried. Games in 2 years will really look next gen as devs will have more experience with the system and all. Can't wait until than but I am also curious to see how the first gens of next gen games will look like at the beginning and how they will mature as time goes on.

Amazing months to come. Day one for me and I'am an avid PC gamer well equipped, but I love my PS, had them all and will keep doing so....

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
I hate that this "conversion" is a thing, because the whole concept is flawed and people really shouldn't be doing it at all. That having been said, you're doing the conversion backwards. RDNA would "convert" to more GCN TFLOPs not less.

Yeah just saw that lolll...Sorry coming off a 12 hour shift here..:D

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I get headaches

The new RDNA architecture is just more efficient, and does more per TFLOP, but it doesn't have their own metric.
It originates because some sort of relative performance multiplier is useful on occasion.

Sadly, some people use the stuff for console warring or to discredit people. For example:

Klee said 12 TF and with a 1.3x conversion factor you get 9.2 TF, exactly the GitHub leak PS5 specs.

This way Klee is not a liar, just not a technical guy, and doesn't understand the difference between arch's.

Don't do this. This is dumpster trash-tier hot takes.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would bet both Xbox and PS have unveil events in the next 2 months but neither in February

Lostduke

Jan 4, 2020
I get headaches

GCN and RDNA are even just names for the architectures of the company AMD.

Lets see what conversion between SONY TFLOP and XBOX TFLOP will be. ;-)
So you could have answered my question. I've read the same 'Flops are Flops' and that's what informed my question initially. I find it weird that people always bring up the difference between GCN and RDNA to make a point, so I figured I must have been missing something.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
So you could have answered my question. I've read the same 'Flops are Flops' and that's what informed my question initially. I find it weird that people always bring up the difference between GCN and RDNA to make a point, so I figured I must have been missing something.

I was not mentally ready to answer your question. ;-)

Lets say TFLOP are like hp/kw for cars.
There are 2 cars, both have 105hp/77kw ("TFLOP").
The car named GCN has a 1.2liter engine
The car named RDNA has a 2.0liter engine.

RDNA will have more power, and you also will feel it.

Nobody, really nobody would say:
"Hey, that RDNA and GCN car, they have not the same engine. What is the conversion rate on those hp/kw?"

EDIT:
This analogy just shows in a simple way that their is just one TFLOP metric.
It does not, i repeat, it does not describe TFLOP as a metric for computer power.
Nor does it try to say that cars are somehow the same as gpus.

Last edited:

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Difference being they will also not be the clear winner in the power wars

But if they have the price right..... even a 4TF console wouldn't matter.... right?

Why ? Because of the price or the power ?

Let's just hope we don't get this one lol
images

Because of the price.
If we get the part where they bow... owboy.
*Folks we as Sony Entertainment are out of the gaming industry due to the fact that we have not much of them flops.
If released soon, it'll be cross gen. Too much money to leave on the table. However, I don't believe GTA6 will be announced soon. No way this year anyway.

I think it won't be cross-gen (Or I hope this I'm not sure yet :D) because they have GTA5 online and it's still selling well. On the Other hand if they put GTA6 on new consoles alone at the beginning of the new consoles they have the whole 6/7 years to milk the game out.
If they bring it out on the PS4/XBOX they will split the gamers between GTAV and GTAVI. Some gamers who will stick with the old consoles will probably wait buying GTAVI on PS5/XBOX as they already have invested money in GTAV. I'm not quite good at telling what I mean with this. I don't know how to describe it.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
The peak of outbreak of virus is likely in the next months. If PS5 doesn't be revealed in Feb. than it may be delayed to late May or even June. It's very hard to imagine.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Because of this :

DICE award is the 13th.

I see. I might take back what I said about Sony waiting till June for the PS5 reveal. If we get some serious leaks, it might mean the reveal happens sooner.

I think it won't be cross-gen (Or I hope this I'm not sure yet :D) because they have GTA5 online and it's still selling well. On the Other hand if they put GTA6 on new consoles alone at the beginning of the new consoles they have the whole 6/7 years to milk the game out.
If they bring it out on the PS4/XBOX they will split the gamers between GTAV and GTAVI. Some gamers who will stick with the old consoles will probably wait buying GTAVI on PS5/XBOX as they already have invested money in GTAV. I'm not quite good at telling what I mean with this. I don't know how to describe it.

I get what you mean and it makes sense. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.