• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayembi

Jun 19, 2019
Actually I don't believe anyone blindly. I would love things to happen as Klee said, because I like Playstation over xbox. But not for going to the detriment of Xbox fans, all that console war seems too ridiculous at my age.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Yes ZhugeEx is Daniel Ahmad, an industry analysts and he used to post and moderate here. He even vetted Klee the first time around lol.

edit: I don't think he posts on ERA anymore though :/
tenor.gif

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
In this case, the whole OS would run off the 3/4GB of LPDDR3 ram. You don't need a lot of RAMfor an OS when you have a very fast SSD. And you don't need RAM with a lot of bandwidth for the kina tasks the typically does.

Either way, its cheaper having 3/4GB LPDDR3 RAM than getting two more chips of 18Gbs GDDR6 RAM that wold e wasted on the OS. And I am saying all this with regards to sony because I believe they are going to be the more price-conscious of the two. Notice I am even saying LPDDR3 and not LPDDR4/LPDDR4x/LPDDR5 which are all also available. It even possible that LPDDR4 old be cheaper than LPDDR3. In basically just substitute with the cheapest formof LPDDR

Doesn't at least part of the OS need to run off the same pool of RAM as the games? That's what I've been told here, anyway.

What the fuck I say about pastebins

That they belong in trash bins?

Feb 10, 2018
Cerny stated in 2019 that they had been working on the PS5 for 4 years, meaning that when it launches later this year, it will be a 5 year effort, nearly the entire gen.

That makes things even more interesting, I wonder what Sony were thinking all the way back in 2015..
But isn't stuff that early just brainstorming stuff? I mean where was Navi and zen2 back in 2015?
They probably had early Broad goals, like ps4 BC, 10x more powerful then ps4 etc but I can't imagine actual silicon design started that early.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That makes things even more interesting, I wonder what Sony were thinking all the way back in 2015..
But isn't stuff that early just brainstorming stuff? I mean where was Navi and zen2 back in 2015?
They probably had early Broad goals, like ps4 BC, 10x more powerful then ps4 etc but I can't imagine actual silicon design started that early.
Lends more credibility to the ps5 originally having jaguar cores.

Oct 25, 2017
Their design methodology may be different, but their costs are very likely dominated by the SSD chips themselves, which I suspect they'll likely end up using the same amount (1TB).
I don't want to speculate on that because there is a lot of information we don't know in that regard. I just think Sony's SSD will be more key to the PS5's performance than MS' SSD for SeX.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
If we look at the history of this gen, the PS4 cost less at retail than Xbone and was more powerful.

This was due to Cerny and Sony's R&D, I believe. I doubt they get better discounts than MS. So this just tells us it's not outside the realm of possibilty that price does not equate to power.

In fact, the converse is true when comparing it to this gen. I would also just say that, with the console being pricier (PS5) I do believe Sony is using that manufacture cost effectively. I'm not as familiar with the System Architect at MS. But Cerny is brilliant and I have quite a lot of faith in him (this is by no means a factual statement just a personal one)

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
In hindsight, the fact Xbone launched at 499 for how weak it ended up being was ludicrous. I'm not saying history repeats itself but man they have a lot of making up to do this gen.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty silly to spend time and money on this fancy double sided cooling when they could of done the painfully obvious thing of just making the box bigger like MS did.
MS seem to have a first principles design approach, where they just did the most simple and obvious thing.
Maybe they are not just thinking of the BoM, but also the fact that increasing the form factor would also likely increase shipping costs and storage costs. Maybe spending a bit more on a more efficient cooling solution could give benefits in this area and make the console more visually appealing.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
If we look at the history of this gen, the PS4 cost less at retail than Xbone and was more powerful.

This was due to Cerny and Sony's R&D, I believe. I doubt they get better discounts than MS. So this just tells us it's not outside the realm of possibilty that price does not equate to power.

In fact, the converse is true when comparing it to this gen. I would also just say that, with the console being pricier (PS5) I do believe Sony is using that manufacture cost effectively. I'm not as familiar with the System Architect at MS. But Cerny is brilliant and I have quite a lot of faith in him (this is by no means a factual statement just a personal one)
Panos Panay runs Microsoft devices. I don't know how much of a hand he had in Xbox but he has had a hand in the surface line, new dual screens like the neo and duo.

I don't know how much input he's had into the consoles but his design philosophy has been all over MS devices from about 2015 on.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
tumblr_mhbwglob2D1qc2bleo1_500.gif

It's that time again. A simple night tonight. Only one sacrifice.

495 your time has come. For the crime of sillily selecting a weekend for this PS5 reveal, I give into you an avatar of equally silly proportions.

Here you are, my friend. Once more unto the breach...

amusing-clipart-6.gif

And with that, I'ma go drink.

323484951f7f060db807e32ae3bdf06d.gif

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018
? I buy games all the time using remote play or the phone app. Not sure what the distinction is

also for the sake of clarity it was asked how could Sony compete against MS launching GamePass on Samsung phones and my answer is that they could just do the same thing with PSNow. I'm just confused on why the MS offering is so uniquely special that other competitors wouldn't be able to counter or compete.

Google, Amazon and Microsoft can certainly by courting OEMs to push their services.

Feb 10, 2018
Maybe they are not just thinking of the BoM, but also the fact that increasing the form factor would also likely increase shipping costs and storage costs. Maybe spending a bit more on a more efficient cooling solution could give benefits in this area and make the console more visually appealing.

The volume of the XsX is not that much bigger though, the XsX won't cost more then a PS4 Pro to ship and store.

pharmboy044

Oct 27, 2017
So now there are rumors on Twitter that the PS5 is 8T. What the hell is going on here? Has Sony really fucked up? No news is really making people stir crazy.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
lol I am already pushing it for my bet

if Tuesday is a day of silence then I feel the rest of those day to Feb 20th is just a countdown to my funeral

Jun 17, 2018
tumblr_mhbwglob2D1qc2bleo1_500.gif

It's that time again. A simple night tonight. Only one sacrifice.

495 your time has come. For the crime of sillily selecting a weekend for this PS5 reveal, I give into you an avatar of equally silly proportions.

Here you are, my friend. Once more unto the breach...

amusing-clipart-6.gif

And with that, I'ma go drink.

323484951f7f060db807e32ae3bdf06d.gif

i have brought much shame to my family.

i will accept my punishment.

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017
Ok. I wasn't sure if the e19 was confirmed.

And when bloomberg has been sued and exposed for fabricating stories as recently as the past year.

www.reuters.com

France's AMF watchdog fines Bloomberg €5 million over Vinci hoax

France's markets watchdog AMF said on Monday it had fined U.S. news agency Bloomberg News 5 million euros ($5.5 million) for publishing a hoax press release relating to construction group Vinci <SGEF.PA> in November 2016.

www.itwire.com

iTWire - Bloomberg reporters stand to earn bonuses if chip story holds up

The Bloomberg story, claiming chips are being implanted by a Chinese contractor on server motherboards sold by US firm Supermicro Computer and being used to spy on some companies, will benefit reporters Jordan Robertson and Michael Riley — who wrote it — if it holds up under scrutiny. The...

Then there's the connection between Bloomberg and MS as a potential buyer.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I've been explicitly told that it does. I think it was DrKeo who was telling me this ages ago but I may be wrong.

The reason for that is that the extra pool of RAM isn't actually being used as memory - software isn't being run from it - it's more like a considerably faster swap storage for the OS assets and/or other backgrounded applications. APU processors don't address it directly.

While you can have split memory pools with the OS actually being entirely run from this other pool, that increases complexity a lot and will require the APU to have additional memory interfaces, etc. It's not simple and without cost. And if you're doing that, you might as well go for broke and get a lot of extra RAM, so you can do a lot more than running the OS from it.

Gif

Dec 20, 2019
Yeah, I don't get it either. Bloomberg's track record is impeccable.

Well done.

You can probably find errors on every single major news outlet ever...

Bloomberg are pretty reliable so I'm gonna take their word over random internet speculators for now.

Journalists do make mistakes. But if you think there's no rejecting of that article because it doesn't fit some of the posters confirmation bias then I don't know what to tell you 🤷‍♀️

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Well done.

Bloomberg are pretty reliable so I'm gonna take their word over random internet speculators for now.

Journalists do make mistakes. But if you think there's no rejecting of that article because it doesn't fit some of the posters confirmation bias then I don't know what to tell you 🤷‍♀️
Yes, you can. They do the integrity thing and post apologies and retractions, though. To gloss over one of the biggest journalism fuckups of the past decades is something, though.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Well done.

"Random internet speculators". You're calling online journalists random internet speculators? 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.