• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So when did MS cut funding on Xbox. What period of time. Zhuge made the tweet August 2017 which doesn't jive with what I've already discussed. Monday morning quarterbacking here. Xbox was actually ramping up in spending.
You're under the impression that info that is leaked can only be current info and not old.

Oct 31, 2019
Eh, the real potential in Game Pass is distributing it through xCloud.

Xbox's future is not dependent on the console anymore.
So why exactly they are going all in with not just one but two consoles, one of which is absolutely beastly spec-wise; they could just release Lockhart and say it will run Game Pass perfectly and be done with it, now that even your phones can play your library from the xCloud. Software doesn't sell without hardware, and bespoke hardware you can control is the best way forward if you want to own your own narrative for the software side. Why would MS also acquire studios to produce AAA content if they are targeting phones and PCs and would consider leaving the console space, if the hardware is now also profitable enough to be dependent upon.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Well, it's that time again folks. It's avatar time! I'm a little unsure of whether or not I should go with a theme for tonight's avatars. Jim, what do you think?

tumblr_pecd8ikKZ81xch6xgo4_400.gifv

Indeed it is. But let's not dwell on that. 2Blackcats, Nickerbocker98, Toler Supreme, Logan Hardy. Please step forward. For the crimes of failing to guess the correct reveal date for the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to have the following avatars.

2Blackcats, sometimes a drawing of a happy taco just goes wrong.

E1etKLB.png

Nickerbocker98, ever wanted your food to be happy that you were about to eat it?

Vusmavo.png

Toler Supreme, you gotta get new sock, man.....

np5GBfB.png

Logan Hardy, have a nightmare, courtesy of me!

GGFDoSO.png

Whaddya think of that one Jim?

tumblr_owjjezs9pk1u501aoo4_400.gifv

Ummmmmm. G'night folks.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So why exactly they are going all in with not just one but two consoles, one of which is absolutely beastly spec-wise; they could just release Lockhart and say it will run Game Pass perfectly and be done with it, now that even your phones can play your library from the xCloud. Software doesn't sell without hardware, and bespoke hardware you can control is the best way forward if you want to own your own narrative for the software side. Why would MS also acquire studios to produce AAA content if they are targeting phones and PCs and would consider leaving the console space, if the hardware is now also profitable enough to be dependent upon.
Because consoles are a part of their strategy. They just aren't the core of the platform anymore.

As for MS buying studios, that has nothing to do with the consoles. That has to do with trying to own as much of the content on Game Pass as they can, just like Netflix is doing.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
So when did MS cut funding on Xbox. What period of time.

I'll give you a hint: look for the time when they were cancelling games and closing studios.

They closed Lionhead in 2016. They closed Press Play in 2016. They announced the cancellation of Scalebound in January 2017.

Look at the games they released. Their big title for the second half of 2018 was Forza Horizon. That doesn't happen without a budget crunch.

Monday morning quarterbacking here.

This is a small point, but, uh, just discussing history isn't really what "Monday morning quarterbacking" is.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Since Xbox already release their core spec of 12 TF. Sony should just come out with it already. Whether its higher or lower, there's gonna be lots of noise regardless when they do it.

That didn't age well at all. Not even close.

A company that slimmed itself out, cut projects it decided weren't core to the path they wanted to go was AMD. Some differences of course, they had to do it to not run out of money, assure investors it wasn't a black hole, and profitable and future looking projects were cut like their mobile GPU unit who is now part of Quadcomm, and most likely the use of GCN so long vs Nvidia was a result but AMD focused funding and goals have paid off with ryzen.

Intel has all the money in world and it didn't help them keep up with AMD.

Focus and execution matters as well.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
This is fantastic news. The XSX is a beast. I'm in day one. It's kind of funny that most of these comments in here aren't about the Xbox's power but more about what Sony is going to do about it. Live and be happy people, this is great news.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Crazy perspective to think about.

Actually this has been talked about since January in a Russian gaming site:

У Xbox Series X будет производительность аналогичная суперкомпьютеру IBM ASCI White

В 2000 году IBM создала суперкомпьютер ASCI White (Advanced Strategic Computing Initiative), который использовался Министерством энергетики США

From a similar tweet that happened in January too:

This is from where the recent tweet originated.

Edit:

Wow Haha I didn't see this:

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

Well, it's that time again folks. It's avatar time! I'm a little unsure of whether or not I should go with a theme for tonight's avatars. Jim, what do you think? Indeed it is. But let's not dwell on that. 2Blackcats, Nickerbocker98, Toler Supreme, Logan Hardy. Please step forward. For the...

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Hi Albert, would it be safe to assume that both MS and Sony would know everything spec wise about each other's consoles at this point?
As a layperson, I would think they would have gleaned this 6 months ago or more.

I can't say for sure what folks there know or don't.

I'm sure they have an *idea* at this point, but from my experience they wouldn't know for sure until Sony actually announces.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
Well, it's that time again folks. It's avatar time! I'm a little unsure of whether or not I should go with a theme for tonight's avatars. Jim, what do you think?

tumblr_pecd8ikKZ81xch6xgo4_400.gifv

Indeed it is. But let's not dwell on that. 2Blackcats, Nickerbocker98, Toler Supreme, Logan Hardy. Please step forward. For the crimes of failing to guess the correct reveal date for the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to have the following avatars.

2Blackcats, sometimes a drawing of a happy taco just goes wrong.

E1etKLB.png

Nickerbocker98, ever wanted your food to be happy that you were about to eat it?

Vusmavo.png

Toler Supreme, you gotta get new sock, man.....

np5GBfB.png

Logan Hardy, have a nightmare, courtesy of me!

GGFDoSO.png

Whaddya think of that one Jim?

tumblr_owjjezs9pk1u501aoo4_400.gifv

Ummmmmm. G'night folks.
Well shit

Oct 25, 2017

They don't need Xbox the way they used to, but that doesn't mean they're idiots. They're not going to leave money on the table they can suck up versus other hardware makers, and the Microsoft of the 2010s has learned more than a few lessons from Apple—if you control the whole stack you're always in a better position.

Game Pass is about GaaS revenue and expanding the potential customer base past people who would buy their consoles. If it cannibalizes Xbox to some degree, I don't think they much care. But that's not the same as making hardware irrelevant.

Beyond pure economics, I think there's something of a halo car/prestige element to this. They suffered a dozen self-inflicted wounds this generation, and I think there's a conscious choice to overtly demonstrate their chops this go-round. Sometimes stuff comes down to pure ego.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I'll give you a hint: look for the time when they were cancelling games and closing studios.

They closed Lionhead in 2016. They closed Press Play in 2016. They announced the cancellation of Scalebound in January 2017.

Look at the games they released. Their big title for the second half of 2018 was Forza Horizon. That doesn't happen without a budget crunch.

This is a small point, but, uh, just discussing history isn't really what "Monday morning quarterbacking" is.
So you would also state Sony cut Playstation funding when they closed Guerilla Cambridge, Evolution studios, Manchester studio recently or is that not a correct way to put it? Or is that not the same.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony better come in that sweet price point if it is indeed inferior power wise. or those load times better be non existent.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
So you would also state Sony cut Playstation funding when they closed Guerilla Cambridge, Evolution studios, Manchester studio recently or is that not a correct way to put it? Or is that not the same.

If SIE closed a bunch of studios and cancelled their games while also cancelling externally developed games and it wasn't clear where that budget was being reallocated to? I'd suspect that SIE was trying to trim its operating budget, yes.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
how worried should sony be right now?

Only Sony knows that.

Power isn't everything. Should Sony be far behind in power, then I'm sure Sony will come out swinging with reveals of plenty of next gen games. Microsoft seems to have the services (and at this point, power) but at the end of the day it's the games that will matter.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Did you see a rash of game cancellations? Did Sony's first party line-up shrivel to almost nothing in any year this gen? You'd have to be willfully blind not to see Microsoft's belt tightening in the middle of this gen.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
If SIE closed a bunch of studios and cancelled their games while also cancelling externally developed games and it wasn't clear where that budget was being reallocated to? I'd suspect that SIE was trying to trim its operating budget, yes.
So maybe... just maybe MS was trimming their operating budget in some areas while focusing on other things at the time. Maybe ramping up spending in other areas like in One X, Scarlet, future acqusitions maybe. Just a thought.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
So maybe... just maybe MS was trimming their operating budget in some areas while focusing on other things at the time. Maybe ramping up spending in other areas like in One X, Scarlet, future acqusitions maybe. Just a thought.

You don't plan to shutter a studio like Lionhead and cancel a AAA game to fund your next-generation hardware development. That doesn't make any sense at all.

And you don't close studios you already own just to fund buying new studios. Why on Earth would you do that? You would be lighting millions of dollars on fire by spinning down one studio just to acquire another.

Last edited:

d3ckard

Dec 7, 2017
This is interesting development. Between Sony radio silence, Oberon leak and Bloomberg article I start to see an image not to pretty in a short term. Basically, I think Sony targeted 400$ and failed because of SSD and GDDR RAM costs. That left them in uncomfortable position when they have to be cheaper, but don't know by how much and if it's even possible at the moment. Basically last launch in reverse. I also noticed how purposeful was Phil's post. He didn't mention RAM, nor SSD, nor clocks. He gave us a number, backwards compatibility, RDNA2, hardware raytracing, audio raytracing, multi-suspend and free upgrades for willing parties. Basically it looks like he is dismantling PS5 differentiation as shown at CES presentation and grabbing all the momentum he can. When I recall his face when he had to say 499 at X1 presentation, it looks like his taking his sweet revenge right now.

It's really amazing how he reinvigorated Xbox brand and put the ball on Sony's side. It will be fun to watch. Also, to everybody reading too much into phrasing - they will never claim to be most powerful until Sony gives out specs. It has nothing to do with confidence.

Today made me really excited for next gen and I'm planning to be in day 1. Since Sony bought Insomniac I will be having both, especially that my wife made it very clear that God of war sequel is a day 1 purchase for us ;)

revben

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
If gamepass came out in June 2017, and project xcloud was well advanced as well as XSX, why would Nadella shut down xbox? Billions of dollars gone done the drain...not how Nadella operates. Plus xbox makes its own money...not some vanity project

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
how worried should sony be right now?
I think the PS2 was weaker than the Xbox and still annihilated it. Of course MS has strong 3rd party support now, but it'll all come down to the exclusive games and how effectively Sony can deliver them over the next 2-3 years. Also if multiplat games have significant differences in performance and PS5 is at the same price that could be problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.