• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Which is strange if people keep saying PS5 is RDNA 1, XSX is RDNA 2, and that RT is a feature of RDNA 2.

I think it would be useful if someone knowledgeable on the matter were to post a write up that could explain to everyone what the (potential) differences are between RDNA 1 and 2, and what would qualify either console as having one or the other.

IE: technically Sony could take an RDNA 1 GPU but add features to it that RDNA 2 would already have natively, etc.

Otherwise people will keep going on about RDNA 1 and 2 and things will continue to be muddy and lack meaning.
Digital foundry talked a bit about it recently and described RT on RDNA1 as 'grafted onto it'.

Watch their XSX video.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's that time again, folks! I've got a very special guest with me who's gonna help me out with today's judgement. My buddy Jack Burton is here!

N1gJ.gif

You..... You don't know Jack Burton? Well, I'll let him introduce himself.

yiUw5T9.gif

You tell 'em Jack. Anyways, now onto the festivities!

Chamon, Dirtyshubb, iboshow, jsnepo, NLCPRESIDENT, Vervain, vivftp, ResistCritical, PlunderBunker, chris 1515, CypressFX, CosmicBolt. All of you, please step forward! For the crimes of failing to correctly predict the reveal date of the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to the following avatars. Wear them with pride. Wear them with shame.

Chamon, enjoy this horrifying Cookie Monster cake! Let's hope it tastes better than it looks.....

uS6zLWK.png

Ditryshubb, some Wayne Cochran oughta chase away those blues!

5wvqvLG.png

iboshow, maybe you can help figure out what's going through this alpaca's mind!

eLboS3c.png

jsnepo, everybody needs themselves a copy of Cinderella on PS2!

JGdsSXZ.png

NLCPRESIDENT, I hear the reveal date is written on a piece of paper in this truck. See if you can find it!

mIFgYJb.png

Vervain, BEANS

xW2nzsR.png

vivftp, put on a goofy face for the foreseeable future!

LltBYoq.png

ResistCritical, BABY SHARK DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO

gMB1qrG.png

PlunderBunker, Anaconda may not be a great movie, but this bootleg poster of it from Ghana is a masterpiece

CmMNVML.png

chris 1515, practice the perfect hair styling techniques with this cosmetology head! Sorry, but they charge per individual hair, so I got the cheap one.

92DddIt.png

CypressFX, no toy collection is complete without some Obvious Plant goodness

vCXdh9g.png

CosmicBolt, remember when Van Damme was in great movies? Well, this wasn't one.

cfzshpZ.png

That's it folks! Lots of fun and good times today. I'm gonna go have a drink or seven now. What do you think, Jack? Isn't this as fun as I promised?

BruisedIdioticKudu-size_restricted.gif

Meh, I've been called worse.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Slightly off-topic: What are your thoughts on the save state working with physical discs? If you play AC on disc for example and then another game like Call of Duty on disc. I assume the data would retain when swapping, but wondering how the prompts will work with physical content?

since they're just licenses/DRM these days, all you need is to periodically check them.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
It's that time again, folks! I've got a very special guest with me who's gonna help me out with today's judgement. My buddy Jack Burton is here!

N1gJ.gif

You..... You don't know Jack Burton? Well, I'll let him introduce himself.

yiUw5T9.gif

You tell 'em Jack. Anyways, now onto the festivities!

Chamon, Dirtyshubb, iboshow, jsnepo, NLCPRESIDENT, Vervain, vivftp, ResistCritical, PlunderBunker, chris 1515, CypressFX, CosmicBolt. All of you, please step forward! For the crimes of failing to correctly predict the reveal date of the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to the following avatars. Wear them with pride. Wear them with shame.

Chamon, enjoy this horrifying Cookie Monster cake! Let's hope it tastes better than it looks.....

uS6zLWK.png

Ditryshubb, some Wayne Cochran oughta chase away those blues!

5wvqvLG.png

iboshow, maybe you can help figure out what's going through this alpaca's mind!

eLboS3c.png

jsnepo, everybody needs themselves a copy of Cinderella on PS2!

JGdsSXZ.png

NLCPRESIDENT, I hear the reveal date is written on a piece of paper in this truck. See if you can find it!

mIFgYJb.png

Vervain, BEANS

xW2nzsR.png

vivftp, put on a goofy face for the foreseeable future!

LltBYoq.png

ResistCritical, BABY SHARK DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO

gMB1qrG.png

PlunderBunker, Anaconda may not be a great movie, but this bootleg poster of it from Ghana is a masterpiece

CmMNVML.png

chris 1515, practice the perfect hair styling techniques with this cosmetology head! Sorry, but they charge per individual hair, so I got the cheap one.

92DddIt.png

CypressFX, no toy collection is complete without some Obvious Plant goodness

vCXdh9g.png

CosmicBolt, remember when Van Damme was in great movies? Well, this wasn't one.

cfzshpZ.png

That's it folks! Lots of fun and good times today. I'm gonna go have a drink or seven now. What do you think, Jack? Isn't this as fun as I promised?

BruisedIdioticKudu-size_restricted.gif

Meh, I've been called worse.
Thread is delivering like Domino's on 4/20.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
Also it has been 1:1 since at least Volta, nothing makes that special for RT.
Yes, Turing is an evolution of Volta. INT32 was made this way because RT workloads use INT32 a lot.
It isn't. In the diagram I listed above, int32 units and fp32 unit are both contained in the ALU units, which means a 1:1 ratio.
No it is not 1:1 ratio in RDNA, you can't schedule both FP32 units and INT32 units at the same time in RDNA, only Turing and Volta are capable of that, it's called concurrent FP32/IN32 execution.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Yes, Turing is an evolution of Volta. INT32 was made this way because RT workloads use INT32 a lot.
Wrong, integer operation is common in all general purpose compute workload, it's not specific for RT.
No it is not 1:1 ratio in RDNA, you can't schedule both FP32 units and INT32 units at the same time in RDNA, only Turing and Volta are capable of that, it's called concurrent FP32/IN32 execution.
Wrong again, being able to execute integer and floating point operations concurrently is a general improvement in instruction level parallelism, it states nothing about the ratio of number of functional units.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I've got to say that I really don't care about save states. If SSDs really are going to basically eliminate loading screens, then having to press A once or twice more and wait an extra 10 or 15 seconds is no hardship at all. I can spend that time thinking back to the days when it seemed to take the best part of a week to boot up my console and launch Forza Horizon 4.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
That's because these 2070 cards in the video are overclocked 2070 cards, they have higher clocks than reference cards. Reference to reference the 2070Super has less peak TF than 5700XT reference.
"Reference" cards can and do hit the same clocks. NVIDIA undersells their cards capabilities, by a smidge.

[SOLVED] - 2070 Super clock speed higher than expected.

As you can see my 2070 Super is boosting to a stable 1980Mhz without me doing any kind of overclocking. Is this normal?

Question:
As you can see my 2070 Super is boosting to a stable 1980Mhz without me doing any kind of overclocking. Is this normal?

Answer:
Yep. That's Gpu Boost feature at work.
This is why people need to ignore the advertised boost/game clocks for Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus.
It'll boost as high as it can go if power and temperature limits allow. It's also why overclocking is mostly pointless on these cards, save for the memory clock, which Gpu Boost doesn't touch.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I've got to say that I really don't care about save states. If SSDs really are going to basically eliminate loading screens, then having to press A once or twice more and wait an extra 10 or 15 seconds is no hardship at all. I can spend that time thinking back to the days when it seemed to take the best part of a week to boot up my console and launch Forza Horizon 4.

Yeah and I would say I normally only play one single player game at a time and I don't find it being very useful with GaaS games like Siege or Overwatch.

Muhammad

Mar 6, 2018
Ok so how do you explain a link you were given of where both cards are clocked at same MHz and AMD card is beating it? Remember that at same MHz they are exactly same TF. Just because Nvidia posts fake numbers to inflate perception of performance doesn't mean that per TF they get higher performance, at least it doesn't mean that anymore and has been proven.
The link had them both at the same performance actually. They were also only the same in a small selection of games though, they weren't representative enough. Fact is: 2070 Super is faster than 5700XT despite lower TF. And even if they had the same TF, the 2070 Super would still be faster.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
The link had them both at the same performance actually. They were also only the same in a small selection of games though, they weren't representative enough. Fact is: 2070 Super is faster than 5700XT despite lower TF. And even if they had the same TF, the 2070 Super would still be faster.
This is just simply ignoring facts and going on with your own opinion.
shader-coresaok94.jpg
This proves opposite of what you are saying, you are claiming that the card is 9TF (based on nvidias 1770MHz) and then look at how that card compares at 1900MHz to AMD competing card and claim how 9TF beats 9.7TF card. AMD card game mode MHz isabout 1800 so how is it that you claim in actual game performance it's 9.7TF?

Do the math yourself 2560 cores x 2 x MHz=TF

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Going from their posts across the last few pages I'm going to say they are either grossly misinformed or trolling.
I guess they are just misinformed. The vast majority of people has little understanding of computer hardware, let alone something as complex as a GPU.

What I couldn't tolerate is this weird confidence of being ignorant. If you look at it this way it really is kinda like trolling.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
This is just simply ignoring facts and going on with your own opinion.
shader-coresaok94.jpg
This proves opposite of what you are saying, you are claiming that the card is 9TF (based on nvidias 1770MHz) and then look at how that card compares at 1900MHz to AMD competing card and claim how 9TF beats 9.7TF card. AMD card game mode MHz isabout 1800 so how is it that you claim in actual game performance it's 9.7TF?

Do the math yourself 2560 cores x 2 x MHz=TF
Oh wow! I didn't expect AMD to have caught up with Nvidia in terms of IPC and efficiency in general. Bravo to AMD's teams.

pRESET ERror

Dec 18, 2019
That's what all GPUs do when they manage global scheduling these days. Going from this to the external network is also possible - hence the NVLink and such interfaces - but this is mostly a s/w solution, not h/w.

Yeah, when they're in a LAN. From what I gather, NVLinked GPU communication is near-range and based on mesh-networking which is limited to LANs. Such chip interconnects don't help GPUs located in an internal network communicate with GPUs in an external network.

Cell itself as a piece of h/w also can't do this (IIRC at least) but you can make a Cell supercomputer which will work this way thanks to the OS (s/w) which will run on it.

CELL can do it. As Ken Kutaragi once put it:

"The Cell processor assumes the existence of multiple Cells. The model image for the Cell-based network may be the Internet: Servers around the world form one virtual "computer," and each PC accesses it. One Cell or cluster of Cells can also function as a server; but whereas the present Internet mainly handles characters, applications on the Cell network will also handle semantics and reasoning. Though sold as a game console, what will in fact enter the home is a Cell-based computer."

The three PS3s in the video I linked to previously could just as well have been inside the homes of three different users -- each one acting as a server for the others as they do cloud-assisted animation, physics, graphics processing, etc. in a multiplayer match, while one of the PS3s also hosts the multiplayer match for all three PS3 users
(e.g. the Warhawk IGS method).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.