• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
So we are at 8tf and 13tf for PlayStation. I'm going to put it somewhere in the middle of the two extremes haha. 10.5tf.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
You know March 3rd was FFVIIR original release day before the delay. Funny too there's a not so secret FFVIIR demo no one wants to comment on. You cannot stealth drop it now, since we know about it. But we weren't supposed to know about it. Would've been a cool "available now" demo to drop during a PS SoP or whatever. And if this thing is really March 3rd kinda interesting to drop it on the day people were originally planning to play FFVIIR. Also good marketing opportunity while the entire world is tuned in for PS5 reveal. Just saying. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Keep in mind that the last two major announcements Sony made regarding the PS5 (the two Wired articles) were not preceeded by any announcements. They just decided to pull the trigger on two (seemingly) random, regular Tuesdays. March 3rd also happens to be a... you guessed it, Tuesday.
I agree, but the entire reason we're talking about March 3rd is because of a Giant Bomb podcast. Thank you for proving my point.

OP
OP
Transistor

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's Friday! I'm drinking! Let's have some sacrifices! Who else is as excited as I am?

51e9e63089e651e02454b9c646b0d8ea.gif

Well, don't everyone speak up at once.....

Hnetuduft, Miruna, Nazgûl, Turbowaffles, Xeontech. Please step forward. For the crime of failing to guess the correct reveal date for the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to the following avatarsto wear shamefully until the PS5 releases:

Hnetuduft, when you gotta go, you gotta go. This should help. Sorry, it was the only color they had left in stock.

VOkypJZ.png

Miruna, scare children and loved ones with this creepy old man mask!

M6BDQUB.png

Nazgûl, call the fire department! The cat got stuck in a jar!

jIM4J11.png

Turbowaffles, send that smile away for a while with this totally un-nutritious breakfast!

iAiNrvE.png

Xeontech, remember Kidz Bop? Did you know there's a lot of them?

0DyLdyq.png

Well, that's all for today folks. Come back tomorrow for even more silliness because it's a weekend and whatnot. Until then, let's get some dinner.

belmont4.gif

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's Friday! I'm drinking! Let's have some sacrifices! Who else is as excited as I am?

51e9e63089e651e02454b9c646b0d8ea.gif

Well, don't everyone speak up at once.....

Hnetuduft, Miruna, Nazgûl, Turbowaffles, Xeontech. Please step forward. For the crime of failing to guess the correct reveal date for the PlayStation 5, I hereby sentence you to the following avatarsto wear shamefully until the PS5 releases:

Hnetuduft, when you gotta go, you gotta go. This should help. Sorry, it was the only color they had left in stock.

VOkypJZ.png

Miruna, scare children and loved ones with this creepy old man mask!

M6BDQUB.png

Nazgûl, call the fire department! The cat got stuck in a jar!

jIM4J11.png

Turbowaffles, send that smile away for a while with this totally un-nutritious breakfast!

iAiNrvE.png

Xeontech, remember Kidz Bop? Did you know there's a lot of them?

0DyLdyq.png

Well, that's all for today folks. Come back tomorrow for even more silliness because it's a weekend and whatnot. Until then, let's get some dinner.

belmont4.gif
Xeontech got hit hard damn.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Amper, probably 3080 ti or Titan, freaking 118SM (CU). Yes, 118, 80 CU big Navi doesn't sound so big now, right?

For prespective, TF count for each frequency:
1500Mhz - 22.6TF
1600Mhz - 24.2TF
1700Mhz - 25.7TF
1800Mhz - 27.2TF
1900Mhz - 28.7TF
2000Mhz - 30.2TF

NVIDIA-Ampere-GPU-Benchmark-Leak-1-1004x1480.jpg

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Amper, probably 3080 ti or Titan, freaking 118SM (CU). Yes, 118, big Navi, doesn't sound so big now right?

1500Mhz - 22.6TF
1600Mhz - 24.2TF
1700Mhz - 25.7TF
1800Mhz - 27.2TF
1900Mhz - 28.7TF
2000Mhz - 30.2TF

That's a Volta successor based on the core clock and RAM size. But yes, it's a behemoth.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Amper, probably 3080 ti or Titan, freaking 118SM (CU). Yes, 118, big Navi, doesn't sound so big now right?

1500Mhz - 22.6TF
1600Mhz - 24.2TF
1700Mhz - 25.7TF
1800Mhz - 27.2TF
1900Mhz - 28.7TF
2000Mhz - 30.2TF

whats the Nvidia to AMD compute unit conversion?

eg.

AMD =20 workgroups (x 2 = 40 compute units [x 64 = 2560 shader cores] )

What does 118 compute units translate to with Nvidia?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
That's a Volta successor based on the core clock and RAM size. But yes, it's a behemoth.
Yes, you are probably right. But there are two, 118 SM and 108 SM GPUs. 108 SMs is probably the ballpark of the 3000 Titan, 3080 ti is probably ~100 SM.
whats the Nvidia to AMD compute unit conversion?

eg.

AMD =20 workgroups (x 2 = 40 compute units [x 64 = 2560 shader cores] )

What does 118 compute units translate to with Nvidia?
It was 2:1 with pascal, but with Turing they've changed it to 1:1. So 118 SMs are just like 118 CUs. If they can hit 2Ghz, we are talking about a 30TF GPU, Jesus.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Thanks.

Is there a reason they are all being multiplied by 64? Like it an instruction set type thing?
64 ALUs per CU. 1 FMADD and 1FMUL per ALU gives you the 2x.

Yes, you are probably right. But there are two, 118 SM and 108 SM GPUs. 108 SMs is probably the ballpark of the 3000 Titan, 3080 ti is probably ~100 SM.

It was 2:1 with pascal, but with Turing they've changed it to 1:1. So 118 SMs are just like 118 CUs. If they can hit 2Ghz, we are talking about a 30TF GPU, Jesus.
We're so close to Tim Sweeney's magical 40TF number. By 3nm, we should have a consumer GPU that can hit that.

wccftech.com

Sweeney: 40 TFLOPS Can Render Photo-Realistic Dynamic Scenes, But Humans Require More Than Computing Power

According to Epic's Founder Tim Sweeney 40TFLOPS would be enough to render photo-realistic dynamic scenes, but humans are more complicated.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
www.samsung.com

GDDR6 | DRAM | Samsung Semiconductor Global

Meet upgraded GDDR6's industry's fastest speed, greater power efficiency, and incredible versatility, with low voltage for high-bandwidth, high-computing tasks.

Samsung has updated their GDDR6 catalog to include 16gbps chips. 8Gb chips are in mass production, and 16Gb chips are in sample.

For reference

256bit bus with 16gbps chips = 512GB/s. Oberon is rumored to be ~530 GB/s using underclocked 18gbps GDDR6 chips.
320bit bus with 16gbps chips = 640GB/s. Arden is rumored to be 560GB/s based on rumors from AMD.

Sounds like 8, 16Gb chips will suffice. For additional tasks, LPDDR4 (which is also at 16Gb density atm) might come into play.

This is what the One X's mobo looks like w/ 12, 8Gb ram chips:

digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-a-return-to-form-for-xbox-149146273149.png

So, hypothetically speaking, if 12 chips (setting aside the 384-bit bus width and it being of GDDR5 variety) is considered the upper end, 3 configs come to mind:

1. 24 GB GDDR6 (feels expensive, really expensive)
2. 20 GB GDDR6 + 4GB LPDDR4 (again, feels very expensive)
3. 16GB GDDR6 + 8GB LPDDR4 (to handle a suite of multimedia and social media features)

Then again, I am not expecting it to be more than 10 Chips total, with 8, 16Gb GDDR6 or 16GB GDDR6 + 2, 16Gb DDR4 modules or 4GB; a total of 20GB. I have no idea how the buses would be design for a split memory architecture (Oh hey, PS3!).

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sounds like 8, 16Gb chips will suffice. For additional tasks, LPDDR4 (which is also at 16Gb density atm) might come into play.

This is what the One X's mobo looks like w/ 12, 8Gb ram chips:

digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-a-return-to-form-for-xbox-149146273149.png

So, hypothetically speaking, if 12 chips (setting aside the 384-bit bus width and it being of GDDR5 variety) is considered the upper end, 3 configs come to mind:

1. 24 GB GDDR6 (feels expensive, really expensive)
2. 20 GB GDDR6 + 4GB LPDDR4 (again, feels very expensive)
3. 16GB GDDR6 + 8GB LPDDR4 (to handle a suite of multimedia and social media features)

Then again, I am not expecting it to be more than 10 Chips total, with 8, 16Gb GDDR6 or 16GB GDDR6 + 2, 16Gb DDR4 modules or 4GB; a total of 20GB. I have no idea how the buses would be design for a split memory architecture (Oh hey, PS3!).
The Pro's LPDDR memory is managed off-SoC.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Seems like most people don't expect any major third-party company will release any next-gen only games within the first year (Gearbox aside with Godfall).
www.resetera.com

Which major third-party companies do you expect to release next-gen only games within the first year?

The title really speaks for itself on this one. With next-gen on the horizon, there are still a ton of owners of the previous systems who may not make the jump right away. With this & Square-Enix's recent announcement of sticking with cross-gen for a while in mind, what other major third-party...
With that said, I still stand by my opinion that at least Capcom will.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
We're so close to Tim Sweeney's magical 40TF number. By 3nm, we should have a consumer GPU that can hit that.

wccftech.com

Sweeney: 40 TFLOPS Can Render Photo-Realistic Dynamic Scenes, But Humans Require More Than Computing Power

According to Epic's Founder Tim Sweeney 40TFLOPS would be enough to render photo-realistic dynamic scenes, but humans are more complicated.
Photorealism gaming could actually be possible in this lifetime, insane!

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Apologies for potential inconvenience. I am still confused by the difference between a SoC and APU. Thus by extension, would you summarize how it pertains to LPDDR4 (that I didn't even know existed on Pro) and Pro?

Danke, merci et thanks.
Sorry, the RAM is DDR3, not LPDDR.

APU is a subset of SoCs. SoCs is a catch-all term for any packaged part that contains more than a CPU. APU has conventionally meant CPU with iGPU.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
64 ALUs per CU. 1 FMADD and 1FMUL per ALU gives you the 2x.
Pheonix
And in English to whoever doesn't understand what FMADD and FMUL are, the ALU can do one add operation between two floating points and one multiply operation between two floating points every cycle in parallel. So every cycle each ALU does 2 floating-point operations, there are 64 ALUs in an SM (or a CU, it's the same) so 128 operations are possible per clock for each SM, 64 add and 64 multiply operations. Multiply that by the clocks, and you got the TF figure each SM/CU can theoretically gives. Multiply that by the number of SMs or CUs and you got the whole GPU TF figure.
We're so close to Tim Sweeney's magical 40TF number.

wccftech.com

Yes, totally, I'm sure NV will have a 40TF card when they reach 5nm. And who knows what RT improvements they've done with Amper. We might see the 3080 ti more than double the 2080 ti RT performance.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like most people don't expect any major third-party company will release any next-gen only games within the first year (Gearbox aside with Godfall).
www.resetera.com

Which major third-party companies do you expect to release next-gen only games within the first year?

The title really speaks for itself on this one. With next-gen on the horizon, there are still a ton of owners of the previous systems who may not make the jump right away. With this & Square-Enix's recent announcement of sticking with cross-gen for a while in mind, what other major third-party...
With that said, I still stand by my opinion that at least Capcom will.

I fully expect third party exclusives from Japanese companies. It happened this gen on both sides, Capcom had exclusives on both PS4 and XB1 and I don't see why it wouldn't happen this gen.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I fully expect third party exclusives from Japanese companies. It happened this gen on both sides, Capcom had exclusives on both PS4 and XB1 and I don't see why it wouldn't happen this gen.
If we're talking Street Fighter, Capcom will probably avoid that for SFVI. At most, we may see Capcom reach a marketing deal with Sony. But otherwise, I'd imagine that SFVI & [Insert Versus Game Here] will be PS5/XSX/PC.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
anexanhume DukeBlueBall

What I forgot to say was that the 108 SM variant running at 1.01Ghz (13.9TF) beats the Titan RTX (16.3TF) in the benchmark, so it looks like Amper isn't just a node size bump but another big architectural improvement. Seems like it's the 1000 series all over again.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
You know March 3rd was FFVIIR original release day before the delay. Funny too there's a not so secret FFVIIR demo no one wants to comment on. You cannot stealth drop it now, since we know about it. But we weren't supposed to know about it. Would've been a cool "available now" demo to drop during a PS SoP or whatever. And if this thing is really March 3rd kinda interesting to drop it on the day people were originally planning to play FFVIIR. Also good marketing opportunity while the entire world is tuned in for PS5 reveal. Just saying. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

I was with you up until you assumed that an early March PS SoP would be the PS5 reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.