• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
That Jaguar rumor is almost certainly what Sony planned for PS5 before they scrapped it in 2017, no?
Seems to have updated PS5 GPU from RDNA 1 9.2TF to 13TF RDNA2.

After the RDNA2 for both PS5 and Series X info, they are also moving away from Github.
This's as trustworthy as it was when they posted the github specs.

Dec 14, 2019
I am jumping into this thread for the first time in weeks. I'm seeing mentions of PS5 potentially packed with jaguar? Is this a reliable rumor? ugh

No, it's not. There was discussion of earlier prototypes that may have had Jaguar cores. Sony themselves have said "[t]he CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture", per the Wired article from April 2019.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Is it really necessary to harass DF members that are kind enough to post here?
Harass? That's a new one. I'm not treating them any different than I would another regular member of Era.

No, it's not. There was discussion of earlier prototypes that may have had Jaguar cores. Sony themselves have said "[t]he CPU is based on the third generation of AMD's Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company's new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture", per the Wired article from April 2019.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/
Nothing they said in the wired article points to Jaguar cores though?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

After the RDNA2 for both PS5 and Series X info, they are also moving away from Github.
Why saying : "Unlike the fully unlocked Radeon RX 5950 XT, which uses the same GPU but has all 5120 shaders enabled, AMD has disabled some shading units on the Playstation 5 GPU to reach the product's target shader count."
If this is based on rumor. It is highly unprofessional. Is it a serious site?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
That Jaguar rumor is almost certainly what Sony planned for PS5 before they scrapped it in 2017, no?

This's as trustworthy as it was when they posted the github specs.

I heard too out of Digitalfoundry of a Jaguar rumor but not for PS5 some PS4 Pro 2. Because they were not sure of the PS4 Pro impact on the generation maybe the generation can be longer.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I tell you something....this generation has been the most fun...I can't wait for this link to now be used as proof the PS5 is 13TF and can now be trusted. You couldn't make this shit up lol.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
Why saying : "Unlike the fully unlocked Radeon RX 5950 XT, which uses the same GPU but has all 5120 shaders enabled, AMD has disabled some shading units on the Playstation 5 GPU to reach the product's target shader count."
If this is based on rumor. It is highly unprofessional. Is it a serious site?
They do a lot of guess work regarding unreleased hardware which includes taking 4chan leaks at face value.

Dec 14, 2019
Harass? That's a new one. I'm not treating them any different than I would another regular member of Era.

Earlier versions of the PS5 potentially using Jaguar cores isn't ridiculous, and hounding Alex for mentioning the possibility isn't really a fruitful conversation. Everyone acknowledges Sony is now using Zen 2.

Nothing they said in the wired article points to Jaguar cores though?

I never said the Wired article referred to Jaguar cores. There was discussion here and elsewhere that earlier versions of the PS5 may have used them. I'm not making any statement about the validity of that discussion.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
I tell you something....this generation has been the most fun...I can't wait for this link to now be used as proof the PS5 is 13TF and can now be trusted. You couldn't make this shit up lol.
Oh you know its coming. But you can also play that the other way. People who were using it as proof of the GitHub leaks, will now claim it as absolute bollocks.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Earlier versions of the PS5 potentially using Jaguar cores isn't ridiculous, and hounding Alex for mentioning the possibility isn't really a fruitful conversation. Everyone acknowledges Sony is now using Zen 2.

I never said the Wired article referred to Jaguar cores. There was discussion here and elsewhere that earlier versions of the PS5 may have used them. I'm not making any statement about the validity of that discussion.
None of the specs that he calls "BS" are completely ridiculous either. His Jaguar claims are no better than those specs. Outside of the BC rumors and heartrate monitor randomness.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
XSX $499
3.6 Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
2SE56/60CU 1.7Ghz RDNA2 12.18TF
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

Lockhart $349
3.4Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
1SE22/24CU 1.5Ghz RDNA2 4.2TF
12GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

PS5 $499
3.2Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
2SE56/60CU 1.8Ghz RDNA2 12.9TF
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

This is what I'm expecting. I think XSX will have a ~10% advantage in CPU power while PS5 will have a ~10% advantage in GPU, so for most intents and purposes the consoles will be identical.

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Or the fact that the CPU, while light years better than the Jag, will probably be well equivalated with the mid six core ryzens (2XXX or 3XXX) or the earliest 8 core ryzen.

Yeah, it's safe to say that it wouldn't reach the benchmarks of the desktop PC version, if we could run the same benchmarks. Reduced cache and lower frequencies are a given. But then latencies are vastly improved on any Zen 2, and they were the main Zen 1 problem on games.
Either way, we will probably see what "programming to the metal" can do.
If we could build a Windows PC with a Jaguar and a HD7850/70, it wouldn't be able to match PS4 results. Not in 2013, and on 2020 that PC would be miserable.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't understand why the lack of next gen news bothers some here. You can always bide time by going through your backlog. Does it suddenly invalidate or take away from all the great games that have come out this gen and have yet to release just because next gen consoles are imminent? I'm currently going through Yakuza 0 and having a blast and I can't wait to play Resident Evil 3 in less than a month. Hell, if most on Era are already supposedly working adults, I'm sure you're all short on time to really play everything you initially set out to. This behavior of craving for something new is more teenager like than anything
I'm playing Yakuza 0. and I cant wait for animal crossing, doom and resi 3 but I dont play games all day and I like to break off and catch up on gaming news. I know exactly what games I'll be playing this year and as we are in the 7th year I'm excited to get news on what next gen will look like. Microsoft got the ball rolling on that in december and sony, outside of a logo have been radio silent.

Sony dont owe me shit, and you could say I'm being selfish, but in a world where phone info leaks...design...rumblings that create excitement I'm just frustrated at Sonys approach thats all. That's fine too, I can take it I'm a grown ass man....I'm just hungry for some tech news it excites me. If sony is taking this approach hopefully ms step up to the opportunity more.
Few pages late. But hope you two are enjoying Yakuza 0. One of the best in the series. Still remember picking it up about 5 years ago in a store in Tokyo when it was still new in Japan alongside Kenzan and Ishin. Had a blast with it, and again replaying it in English.

Been supporting the series fully since the western release of Yakuza 3 10 years ago this month. Had played Y2 on PS2 at release but I kind of got distracted away from it because of other PS3 games.

Dec 14, 2019
None of the specs that he calls "BS" are completely ridiculous either. His Jaguar claims are no better than those specs. Outside of the BC rumors and heartrate monitor randomness.

I agree that the specs didn't seem ridiculous individually to me, but perhaps he meant in the aggregate. Alex and Tom Warren are both saying they're BS/wishful thinking, so now I'm wondering why...

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't understand why the lack of next gen news bothers some here. You can always bide time by going through your backlog. Does it suddenly invalidate or take away from all the great games that have come out this gen and have yet to release just because next gen consoles are imminent? I'm currently going through Yakuza 0 and having a blast and I can't wait to play Resident Evil 3 in less than a month. Hell, if most on Era are already supposedly working adults, I'm sure you're all short on time to really play everything you initially set out to. This behavior of craving for something new is more teenager like than anything

Poppycock!!

If I spend my time actually playing games, what time will I have to bitch on the internet?

What an unreasonable thing to suggest.

/s

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no 'porting up'. It's really a 'porting down' to a known spec.
Do you think Doom eternal is handicapped on PC just because it runs on a 1.3TF Xbox One? Or when it gets a Switch port?

Nintendo Switch says hi. And current gen games have been ported down to the Switch.
i have made the switch comparison here before. yes, its a lot like the switch.

and we know the switch ports are absolutely awful, going all the way down to 360p despite running at half the framerate. they look like a blurry mess. wolfenstein devs had to make several changes to reduce the draw distance.

MK runs at the same framerate but it also looks like this.

F8DDQmL.jpg

zlSO0G0.png

Witcher 3 looks like this.

VocIsoz.png

G9Wkq1N.png

Hellblade looks like this.

USItNoO.jpg

Wolfenstein looks like this.

6B45Icd.png

Now the xbox series s games wont be around 360p but i can promise you they will have details set to low and sacrifices made everywhere else. the resolution isnt the only thing thats making these games look so bad. everything else got a massive downgrade.

Dec 14, 2019
Not reading much into that.

I wouldn't normally either, and I think Tom, for instance, has more view into MS than Sony, but there are a lot of bogus specs that get thrown out there, and they don't usually merit one industry person's comment, much less two. (and yes, I acknowledge I'm stretching the definition of 'industry person' here)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Poppycock!!

If I spend my time actually playing games, what time will I have to bitch on the internet?

What an unreasonable thing to suggest.

/s
to be fair, its been a rough first quarter so far. especially compared to last year which had Kingdom hearts, re2, metro, anthem, dmc5 and sekiro all releasing within a span of two months.

i tried going back to my backlog and i realized why these games are in my backlog in the first place, i dont care enough to play them.

Star Wars was the last game i finished and that was in early Jan. Nothing else has grabbed me really. Oh and Dreams was a massive disappointment. I am sure that will change when FF7 and RE3 come out, but right now, there is nothing to do other than bitch about Sony's marketing skills.

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wouldn't the dedicated RT cores contradict the RDNA 2.0 narrative? Why separate dedicated RT cores if you get RT (like MS) with RDNA 2.0 anyway?

It's either RDNA 2.0 or dedicated RT cores with RDNA 1.5. And it'll be RDNA 2.0

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017

Again, the difference is the source. This is a false equivalence. The credibility of the existence of a Jaguar-based incarnation of the PS5 was based on where the information came from, not the information itself. The credibility of this spec-sheet, for you, is that it "sounds plausible". There's a difference.

Oct 27, 2017
to be fair, its been a rough first quarter so far. especially compared to last year which had Kingdom hearts, re2, metro, anthem, dmc5 and sekiro all releasing within a span of two months.

i tried going back to my backlog and i realized why these games are in my backlog in the first place, i dont care enough to play them.

Star Wars was the last game i finished and that was in early Jan. Nothing else has grabbed me really. Oh and Dreams was a massive disappointment. I am sure that will change when FF7 and RE3 come out, but right now, there is nothing to do other than bitch about Sony's marketing skills.
I think you should play some different games then. There's simply too many good ones out there, big and small, to be without a game nowadays.

I would recommend Coffee Talk (since it's 2020), Sayonara Wild Hearts (2019), and always Stardew Valley personally. Try something outside your normal comfort zone

renx

Jan 3, 2020
Wouldn't the dedicated RT cores contradict the RDNA 2.0 narrative? Why separate dedicated RT cores if you get RT (like MS) with RDNA 2.0 anyway?

It's either RDNA 2.0 or dedicated RT cores with RDNA 1.5. And it'll be RDNA 2.0

No, it wouldn't contradict the narrative. The point is that RDNA 2.0 has dedicated RT cores.

Oct 27, 2017
XSX $499
3.6 Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

Lockhart $349
3.4Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
12GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

PS5 $499
3.2Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

This is what I'm expecting. I think XSX will have a ~10% advantage in CPU power while PS5 will have a ~10% advantage in GPU, so for most intents and purposes the consoles will be identical.
I like your specs I'd just scale PS5 down to 11.5 TFs or so, and I think it will be $399, sold at a $30-$50 loss per unit day one.

man 12GB in LH will suck. Means all next gen multiplats will be limited to 9-10GBs, whatever it has left after OS, instead of 12-14GB if there was no LH.

I'm still hoping Sony goes with either 18GB GDDR6, or 16+ 4GB LPDDR4X for OS

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I like your specs I'd just scale PS5 down to 11.5 TFs or so, and I think it will be $399, sold at a $30-$50 loss per unit day one.

man 12GB in LH will suck. Means all next gen multiplats will be limited to 9-10GBs, whatever it has left after OS, instead of 12-14GB if there was no LH.

I'm still hoping Sony goes with either 18GB GDDR6, or 16+ 4GB LPDDR4X for OS
$399 isn't happening, especially with the specs people are asking. Hell i wouldn't be surprised if SX is $599 & they try to ease people down with Series S as an option & Game Pass.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
i have made the switch comparison here before. yes, its a lot like the switch.

and we know the switch ports are absolutely awful, going all the way down to 360p despite running at half the framerate. they look like a blurry mess. wolfenstein devs had to make several changes to reduce the draw distance.

MK runs at the same framerate but it also looks like this.

Witcher 3 looks like this.

Hellblade looks like this.

Wolfenstein looks like this.

Now the xbox series s games wont be around 360p but i can promise you they will have details set to low and sacrifices made everywhere else. the resolution isnt the only thing thats making these games look so bad. everything else got a massive downgrade.

Switch owners put up with this trash because of the mobility + Nintendo games.

But people who wants a next gen machine will not pay $300 to be treated as a 2nd class players.

Lockhart is a tough sell, I don't see how its justified, unless its priced at 199$ or lower.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you should play some different games then. There's simply too many good ones out there, big and small, to be without a game nowadays.

I would recommend Coffee Talk (since it's 2020), Sayonara Wild Hearts (2019), and always Stardew Valley personally. Try something outside your normal comfort zone
oh and i am awful at giving smaller games a shot. i did try several games on gamepass that i normally wouldnt try. kingdom come, (got stuck on literally the first quest), that banana man shooter game. finished the first level and just didnt like the controls. didnt care for outer worlds either.

i HAVE been playing rayman legends and sonic forces with my 5 year old, and they are fun but i feel like they are for kids.

i will give ori a shot today, and hopefully the cod respawn mode is more fun than the awful battle royale modes.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Have had Dreams since beta since I was promised PSVR support at official launch. Still waiting on that. It should be a much more interesting tool once that's available. But yeah, not much that stands out so far this year. Rune Factory 4S is about it so far. Doom Eternal should be good, I'm skipping though, couldn't finish the first one because of the adrenaline rushes lol.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
XSX $499
3.6 Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

Lockhart $349
3.4Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
12GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

PS5 $499
3.2Ghz 8c/16t Zen 2
16GB GDDR6
1TB SSD

A $300-350 LH(with disc drive) + PS5 would be the perfect combo for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.