• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you?

• A little hyped

Votes: 98 15.7%
  • A lot of hyped

Votes: 50 8.0%
  • WALNUUUUUTSSSSS

Votes: 222 35.5%
  • Hyped enough to eat this whole bag of walnuts

Votes: 63 10.1%
  • Hyped enough to bite this moose

Votes: 37 5.9%
  • Hyped enough to scramble a dozen eggs

Votes: 39 6.2%
  • Hyped enough to be even more hyped, like, cyclical or something

Votes: 116 18.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
While I work in a completely unrelated field, when I work with vendors on a product that our competitors also use, the vendor, without breaking any nda's, is working towards supplying booth companies with the same stuff. Its better for his business to do so.

I can totally see AMD leading Sony and MS to almost identical designs, separated by yields, I/O, freq etc. So they can produce the core of the product for booth of them. At the end maybe MS gets the chips with higer working CU counts, etc. I highly doubt AMD has any interest, in a market with razor thin margins, to produce two wildly different solutions for booth of them. We are talking 200 mill chips at the end of the day.

So in short, MS TF = Sony TF.
Thing is, AMD doesn't offer Sony and MS a product. It's not like "here is a 5700, there is a 5800, and that's the 5600, please choose one". AMD offers MS and Sony an architecture with all its available building blocks and methodologies, Sony and MS have their own engineering teams that build their own blocks or change existing ones AMD has offered them ("special sauce") and then, in a combined effort, Sony's/MS's engineering teams and AMD's engineering teams build a custom iGPU. That's why Cerny's job is so important, he isn't a shopper going around and selecting parts like a PC builder, he is part of an engineering team that is designing an actual GPU. So it's not like AMD gives both different products, AMD provides a platform and services for MS and Sony to build their own GPU. If a console's GPU sounds similar to an existing AMD GPU because it has the same CU count, it's just a coincidence, they are different products.

DrKeo Come to think of it, I think you're right on Sony not knowing MS TF flop plans early on, based on this tweet.

I found the Panelo quote. But I didn't remember the date correctly, he actually didn't provide one, just said what they knew about the PS4 and the fact that the 8GB caught them off-guard:

What is important to know about console design is that it's a shot in the dark made years before launch. It's so easy in 2020 to be a Monday night commentator on an internet forum, saying that this doesn't make sense or that makes more sense. Yeah, that's easy to say now that you know Microsoft's plan, right? In 2013 no one called Sony stupid for going with a low-end GPU and an extremely low-end CPU in order to hit 399$ in order to be profitable at launch day (8GB instead of 4GB ruined that plan) because the Xbox One was even weaker than that. But what if MS was building a 499$ machine at a loss in 2013? What if the One was a 3TF machine? Was Sony smart or stupid then? Was Cerny a genius or a fool? Well, the answer is easy when you are an internet Monday night commentator, talking about the PS4 and One in 2013 after you already saw everything unfold. Let's see people design a console in 2009 to be released in 2013 and hitting the right spot for the market while beating the other console in the attractivness:price balance, that's the challenge Sony and MS have.

So when it comes to what the PS5 is VS what the XSX is, people need to realize that this fight has been decided years ago, not last week, not a year ago, these machines were designed years ago. Each company had a strategy, different goals, different marketing planes, and they had to build a console that will come out in a few years while (more or less) flying blind regarding what their competitor is doing. So whatever Sony's final machine will be, 8TF, 11TF, 14TF, it was their plan all along. It wasn't a reaction to MS's 12TF, it was their own plan. And yes, there is some time to react if you do it early enough and willing to spend the money and risk a delay, but that window probably closed over a year ago, unless they are changing something flexible like RAM chips or tinkering the clocks.

Evodelu

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Final Roll Call for Team 14 tflops. Who is with their captain?

Ym48pp.gif
Team 12-14TF till the end. Back on the bull like the cowboys.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019

Sony got no money for RDNA2? Didn't Sony cancel releasing in 2019 in 2017? That would make it a 3 year time frame to do other things. Do you really think Sony is that incapable of looking at the future and basing their decisions on that??

I feel like you are searching for any excuse that you can find to make sure that PS5 is not RDNA2.... I hope you are very wrong :D

Common sense is searching for an excuse? Yet saying PS5 uses AMD GPU is confirmation to you guys that the whole chip is based on RDNA2.

I think I already explained myself, with budget and high end consoles MS is highly likely working with different each console build price than Sony is who with one console needs to target most audience range.

How does it make sense that they increase price of entire console just to have rest of the chip based on RDNA2 instead of going the cheaper route and still ending up with exactly the same RT performance?

It's not about looking at future and basing their decisions on that, when PS4 released GCN2 was available, why wasn't PS4 full blown GCN2 instead of GCN1 with some of GCN2 features? You don't think that target price had anything to do with it? Sony must of known about 80CU AMD GPU, does that mean they will do just that?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I like how you keep posting that Sony can't afford RDNA 2 and instead spent pointless R&D money (that AMD had already spent) to insert their RT tech inside RDNA 1. I don't even.

My head hurts.
Sometimes it's cheaper to order the hamburger + add cheese than it is order the cheeseburger. Just something to think about.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Thing is, AMD doesn't offer Sony and MS a product. It's not like "here is a 5700, there is a 5800, and that's the 5600, please choose one". AMD offers MS and Sony an architecture with all its available building blocks and methodologies, Sony and MS have their own engineering teams that build their own blocks or change existing ones AMD has offered them ("special sauce") and then, in a combined effort, Sony's/MS's engineering teams and AMD's engineering teams build a custom iGPU. That's why Cerny's job is so important, he isn't a shopper going around and selecting parts like a PC builder, he is part of an engineering team that is designing an actual GPU. So it's not like AMD gives both different products, AMD provides a platform and services for MS and Sony to build their own GPU. If a console's GPU sounds similar to an existing AMD GPU because it has the same CU count, it's just a coincidence, they are different products.

I found the Panelo quote. But I didn't remember the date correctly, he actually didn't provide one, just said what they knew about the PS4 and the fact that the 8GB caught them off-guard:

What is important to know about console design is that it's a shot in the dark made years before launch. It's so easy in 2020 to be a Monday night commentator on an internet forum, saying that this doesn't make sense or that makes more sense. Yeah, that's easy to say now that you know Microsoft's plan, right? In 2013 no one called Sony stupid for going with a low-end GPU and an extremely low-end CPU in order to hit 399$ in order to be profitable at launch day (8GB instead of 4GB ruined that plan) because the Xbox One was even weaker than that. But what if MS was building a 499$ machine at a loss in 2013? What if the One was a 3TF machine? Was Sony smart or stupid then? Was Cerny a genius or a fool? Well, the answer is easy when you are an internet Monday night commentator, talking about the PS4 and One in 2013 after you already saw everything unfold. Let's see people design a console in 2009 to be released in 2013 and hitting the right spot for the market while beating the other console in the attractivness:price balance, that's the challenge Sony and MS have.

So when it comes to what the PS5 is VS what the XSX is, people need to realize that this fight has been decided years ago, not last week, not a year ago, these machines were designed years ago. Each company had a strategy, different goals, different marketing planes, and they had to build a console that will come out in a few years while (more or less) flying blind regarding what their competitor is doing. So whatever Sony's final machine will be, 8TF, 11TF, 14TF, it was their plan all along. It wasn't a reaction to MS's 12TF, it was their own plan. And yes, there is some time to react if you do it early enough and willing to spend the money and risk a delay, but that window probably closed over a year ago, unless they are changing something flexible like RAM chips or tinkering the clocks.
This like needs to be threadmarked :-)

castaction

Oct 28, 2017

I agree with you

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I said this on Reddit, but I'm worried a default inclusion of paddles on the DS5 is going to work against Sony. This seems to be what the attachment is pointing towards. By bundling it in by default it will increase the price of the box and to be honest I highly doubt it's something the casual gamer will use / want.

This is a point when we're comparing BoMs, in between gyros, touchscreens, possible paddles, extra rumble motors in thumbsticks, internal rechargeable batteries and adaptive triggers, surely the BoM for the DualShock must be the best part of five dollars more than that for the Xbox controller. Not that I don't want Microsoft to rip off the adaptive triggers, they sound excellent. I wouldn't say no to extra rumble motors in the sticks either.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I want to dedicate tonight's sacrifices to Mecha Meister! Hell of a job bringing this OT back from the insanity from whence it came. Now let's get on with the festivities! It's so exciting that it

tumblr_m8p91lyy0k1qllbnao2_500.gif

brokenswiftie, defaltoption, EBomb, Kyolux, RiteMana, nss, Carmelozi. Please c'mere. For the crimes of failing to guess the correct PS5 reveal date, I hereby sentence you to the shame of the following avatars:

brokenswiftie, doncha just love those awful Adam Sandler movies?

rhKn9Y5.png

defaltoption, this'll help you clean out the ol' colon the right way

LUoB9nU.png

EBomb, I just don't even know......

WVaxyhX.png

Kyolux, this is my way of messing with Link for making light of my sacrifices last night

gKh9gPk.png

RiteMana, this avatar is based on the popular children's book!

GK8mWmB.png

nss, lay off the Chipotle

soMk1oV.png

Carmelozi, my daughter helped me pick out this one.....

06FMbfJ.png

Well, that's it for tonight folks! Join us back tomorrow for another episode. You know what I'm off to do:

willem-dafoe-gif-9.gif

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know how I feel about this.

edit: Upon further reflection. I'm going to need a drink too.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I want to dedicate tonight's sacrifices to Mecha Meister! Hell of a job bringing this OT back from the insanity from whence it came. Now let's get on with the festivities! It's so exciting that it

tumblr_m8p91lyy0k1qllbnao2_500.gif

brokenswiftie, defaltoption, EBomb, Kyolux, RiteMana, nss, Carmelozi. Please c'mere. For the crimes of failing to guess the correct PS5 reveal date, I hereby sentence you to the shame of the following avatars:

brokenswiftie, doncha just love those awful Adam Sandler movies?

rhKn9Y5.png

defaltoption, this'll help you clean out the ol' colon the right way

LUoB9nU.png

EBomb, I just don't even know......

WVaxyhX.png

Kyolux, this is my way of messing with Link for making light of my sacrifices last night

gKh9gPk.png

RiteMana, this avatar is based on the popular children's book!

GK8mWmB.png

nss, lay off the Chipotle

soMk1oV.png

Carmelozi, my daughter helped me pick out this one.....

06FMbfJ.png

Well, that's it for tonight folks! Join us back tomorrow for another episode. You know what I'm off to do:

willem-dafoe-gif-9.gif
Welp this sucks, first no PS5 news and now this

PrimeRib

Nov 16, 2017
This thread will be riddled with poop avatars from here til the end of the year. Kinda awesome and kinda vile at the same time.
/torn

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Common sense is searching for an excuse? Yet saying PS5 uses AMD GPU is confirmation to you guys that the whole chip is based on RDNA2.

I think I already explained myself, with budget and high end consoles MS is highly likely working with different each console build price than Sony is who with one console needs to target most audience range.

How does it make sense that they increase price of entire console just to have rest of the chip based on RDNA2 instead of going the cheaper route and still ending up with exactly the same RT performance?

It's not about looking at future and basing their decisions on that, when PS4 released GCN2 was available, why wasn't PS4 full blown GCN2 instead of GCN1 with some of GCN2 features? You don't think that target price had anything to do with it? Sony must of known about 80CU AMD GPU, does that mean they will do just that?
Where are you using common sense? I am not even going to try to explain this to you...lol

Because things change....like their 2019 plans. So who knows why and what they changed..... But based on your assumptions, wouldn't it be far smarter to just take the rx 5700 and "slap" ray tracing on it and calling it finished? They could have released in 2019. But they didn't...why not?

Of course it's about looking at the future and basing your predictions and decisions on the release date and what is possible or not.... Because they didn't want to? Several things go in those kind of decisions...why and what who knows... Perhaps they were happy with what they got and didn't scrap it 2 years before release? You are trying to fit everything based on you assumptions and needs......

Md Ray

Oct 29, 2017
Chennai, India
RDNA2 doesn't make sense for Sony or MS to me. RDNA1 with added features from 2 is what makes economical sense to me, especially RDNA2 release date being unknown and RDNA1 having been delayed.
XSX is actually RDNA 2, you do know that right?

RDNA 2 GPUs are likely coming this year to PC with RT support, VRS support.

RDNA 1 delayed? We already have them since last year in desktop PC space: 5700 XT, 5700, 5600 XT, 5500 XT. These are RDNA 1 GPUs.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if the AMD thing happening tomorrow is going to be streamed? Any links if it is?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Why do you think MS does not have a custom chip? That actually is the strangest prediction I have ever seen.
I do think the XSX will have a custom chip absolutely. I think beyond the standard RDNA2 features it'll have improvements to VRS and RT hardware. I just think it'll more closely resemble an RDNA2 PC GPU chip, than the PS5's GPU will resemble a 5700.
If indeed ps5 soc is smaller I think more probable is that ps5 cpu clocks also will be higher than xsx
That's a reasonable assumption for sure, my prediction is from the leaked Flute benchmark which indicated 3.2 GHz.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Thanks

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is going to be a really lousy year. I honestly think next gen systems will be delayed too. :(
nah, this should all blow over in the next few months. at worst, we are going to get next gen consoles in january. as long as my little ones are ok, im good. holidays are a stressful time to game anyway.

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
Too many people saying "bad design" in regards to a 9.2 TFLOP PS5 have no idea what Sony's goals are this upcoming cycle. The original Xbox One wasn't a bad design. It was the perfect design for what the Microsoft leadership at the time thought the direction of the industry would be. They just happened to be dead wrong. Sony just happened to stick with the status quo with the PS4 and ended up being right about the future of the games console. The PS4 wasn't some monster-spec machine when it launched. It just happened to be competing directly with a do-everything cable-box wannabe machine. Don't forget that Sony bought into the same post-iPhone era propaganda as MS, they just had a more modest approach with a modestly specced machine with their fingers and toes dipped in motion control, media center and VR technology. But the PS4 was priced to move.

Sony might have the same approach as last gen. Release a modestly powerful machine priced to move and then release a more powerful revision two or three years later. Microsoft under Phil Spencer has always been about pure horsepower, so the Series X being a monster machine is not out of character. Post-Kutaragi Sony doesn't seem to be about winning spec sheet wars. They make their bread by shipping sleek, modestly powerful machines at a mass market price. Spec wars are for forum fanboys. If Sony has an elegant way of hardware backwards compatibility that doesn't break the bank and can deliver a 9.2 Navi TFLOPS box at $399, they'll jump at the chance and dance all the way to the bank.

A 9.2 TFLOPS (Navi) PS5 is still more than twice as powerful as PS4 Pro and about 10 times more performant than the PS4 which is about what you should expect from a generational leap. It would be typical of Sony to make a move like this.

Don't forget that a Sony console being more powerful than a Microsoft console was a generational anomaly. Xbox was more advanced than PS2 and the Xbox 360 was more powerful than the PS3. Microsoft gambled with TV, TV, TV, and Sony just happened to land in a sweet spot with specs that really didn't stand toe-to-toe with affordable PC hardware that was already out.

TLDR: You don't know what Sony's priorities are. That priority is driving the PS5's design. But you can be sure they're not trying to win a fanboy PR war. If PS5 had a horsepower edge, that would have either been announced or it would have "leaked" by now. My guess is that Sony rightly knows that it's the demos that will knock socks off and drive excitement. They'd rather have actual games to show than do a repeat of the PS3 2005 E3. That takes time. When the PS5 floodgates open it will be heavy and unrelenting up until launch. All they need to do is have their heavy hitters show actual games and 9.2 or 14 or 20 will just be a bunch of numbers.

That's just my opinion. No claim of inside information.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Too many people saying "bad design" in regards to a 9.2 TFLOP PS5 have no idea what Sony's goals are this upcoming cycle. The original Xbox One wasn't a bad design. It was the perfect design for what the Microsoft leadership at the time thought the direction of the industry would be. They just happened to be dead wrong.

that's sort of what a "bad design" is, though. a design based on internal assumptions that turn out to be divorced from what the market actual wants.

not saying that a $399 9.2TF PS5 would be a bad design. i think it would actually probably be a good move, for sony. just saying that "it wasn't a bad design, they just accidentally designed the wrong thing!" is a hella weird take.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
Where are you using common sense? I am not even going to try to explain this to you...lol

Because things change....like their 2019 plans. So who knows why and what they changed..... But based on your assumptions, wouldn't it be far smarter to just take the rx 5700 and "slap" ray tracing on it and calling it finished? They could have released in 2019. But they didn't...why not?

Of course it's about looking at the future and basing your predictions and decisions on the release date and what is possible or not.... Because they didn't want to? Several things go in those kind of decisions...why and what who knows... Perhaps they were happy with what they got and didn't scrap it 2 years before release? You are trying to fit everything based on you assumptions and needs......
Read Drkeos post above because things don't just magically work like that.

I'm basing everything with price target in mind and what they did with PS4 to keep price down and what targeting high price console did to PS3.

Some others are basing their thought process on wishful thinking or just lack of sense how things work, but DrKeo put it perfectly so read that then keep price in mind and whom they are trying to target with one system and then look at the competition and think about whom each of the two systems is targeting and what was possible to get for that money.

Something like for example MS releasing xbox one x as premium console and xbox one s as mainstream console, with price in mind and target audience and one system do you think Sony would go with PS4 Pro design or would they push it like xbox one x? (series x is even more ambitious than one x was) One system has to accommodate casual crowd as well as hardcore, if you price too high you lose casuals to competition, you can only absorb so much per console loss so why unnecessarily increase cost of that console for such little gain?

That's my thought process!

nullZr0

Alt account
Banned
Mar 2, 2020
that's sort of what a "bad design" is, though. a design based on internal assumptions that turn out to be divorced from what the market actual wants.

not saying that a $399 9.2TF PS5 would be a bad design. i think it would actually probably be a good move, for sony. just saying that "it wasn't a bad design, they just accidentally designed the wrong thing!" is a hella weird take.
No, bad design would be a system that couldn't do what it was designed to do. The Xbox One did everything Microsoft said it could do at that partial-birth abortion of a conference they had.

All the TV stuff was amazing. I loved it. But it was a trash games machine compared to the PS4. No fanboyism there, just facts. Proof is when Phil came in and cut all of that stuff out and took Kinect for a walk in the woods.

Kreten

Banned
Nov 16, 2019
XSX is actually RDNA 2, you do know that right?

RDNA 2 GPUs are likely coming this year to PC with RT support, VRS support.

RDNA 1 delayed? We already have them since last year in desktop PC space: 5700 XT, 5700, 5600 XT, 5500 XT. These are RDNA 1 GPUs.
I know, and I said that it doesn't make sense, but series x is one of two systems and is a premium system aimed at hardcore crowd willing to pay premium price, Sony can't do that with a single console, they have to account for casuals too. It's really unnecessary to increase price per console for marginal performance increase.

Yes we do have RDNA1 that was released later than was supposed to.

You had GCN2 GPUs out when PS4 released, so why didn't it have GCN2?

It's really not at all about what is possible as possibilities are endless, it was possible for Sony to make a console with two 80CU GPUs, but it's about what's possible with price in mind that targets the widest audience.

MS chose to go with two systems one for casuals cheaper and weaker and one for hardcore expensive and more powerful, sony has to do middle to accommodate both crowds. Matt himself said "xbox targeting one system would look different than one targeting two systems"

Besides it's not like they just take a gpu coming out and put it into APU, it's GPU architecture and then your APU built from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.