• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
nothing weird going on, XSX is slightly more powerful and this is effectively an last gen game. No point in trying to optimize it fully for either XSX or PS5.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
nice to see the high frame options, hopefully they can update the pc version to work above 60Hz now

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Sucks because I was waiting for a *real* PS5 patch to jump into the VR mode. But Sony isn't interested in having native PS5 VR titles atm apparently...

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
My pet theory is we're gonna see a lot of lower effort ps5 games (performance patches, rushed ports, etc) run a lot worse than xsx for the first few months of the consoles.

I know ps5 is reportedly very easy to develop for, but ms has the advantage that this game is probably already using dx12 for its high end pc optimizations, and it's probably much less time to get it up and running well on the xbox.

Not even a "harder to develop for" thing, just ms reaping the benefits of a unified toolchain until people's engines are all updated to ps5 for real next gen games.

Yep, feels like Valhalla cannot run at 60fps on Series S (tbc), no time to optimize all this console performance profiles before their launch day.

Hopefully this will all be patched out within a few weeks/months.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Where is this idea that VR is the reason even coming from? I've read it so many times on resetera.

The PS5 does not support PSVR games natively, it needs an adapter and the games run in BC mode.
This is a PSVR title.
The enhancements for this game pale in comparison even compared to the Series S.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just saying: this game is amazing in PSVR.
Is it? I'm a big defender of PSVR, I think while it's tracking and power ain't perfect, it's perfectly fine for many games, Beat Sabre is practically perfect on it,for example.

Squadrons... look when i first stepped in that tie fighter and took off I was impressed. Flying past ships all seemed decent, but there are times the graphics can look so bad. An early mission when you are down near some red space station taking out X-wings close to it and it looked pretty rough, rough enough I almost quit the game to wait for the PS5. That's why I'm glad to read about lighting improvements here, maybe it's tolerable now. I'll try it again later.

Last edited:

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where is this idea that VR is the reason even coming from? I've read it so many times on resetera.
PSVR is not supported natively on PS5.

So if there is a PS5 version of a game that optionally has VR ( eg. no mans sky) it seems like you have to run the old PS4 game code (BC mode) if you want to try the VR portion. The PS5 native version excludes VR.

Similarly here, VR is a mainstay of this game, it's just getting a PS4 patch.

No PSVR games have been announced for PS5. It seems like Sony are cutting off PSVR as a PS4 thing only accessible in BC mode.

Makes sense to be honest, PSVR2 can clean up a lot of things and have distinct control methods with no legacy bs, but in the meantime we are in a bit of a limbo.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
I gave my PSVR away to my nephew, as I figured it wouldn't be any better than I get on my pro due to Sony stating no PS5 full power PSVR.

I'll just continue to play VR on my PC and wait for PSVR 2.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I suspect the PS5 version is the PS4 Pro version so it has PSVR capability. I don't think they've put much effort into the PS5 version.

consoul

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
While GameSpot avoid saying so directly in this article, Squadrons on PS5 is the PS4 game in BC mode (as they've previously reported).

There is no 'PS5 version' despite what the wording of this confusingly written piece says. Anyway, I'm sure we can argue about it for another 5 pages, which is probably exactly the kind of engagement they were after.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I suspect the PS5 version is the PS4 Pro version so it has PSVR capability. I don't think they've put much effort into the PS5 version.
This is pretty much given.
If there would be Ps5 version, you should be able to buy it from ps store.

It would be nice if they would patch the ps4 version to detect ps5 and give some additional features.

120fps and/or high resolution mode for PSVR, would be amazing.
Allowing dynamic resolution go higher. (If there is enough memory for Ps4pro to allocate full 2160 buffer.(Pretty sure BC doesn't increase available memory pool.))

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
So all these new funfangled modes,some will be greyed out or just not appear if you dont have 2.1 and cant do 120 fps...? for me, 120 fps is not a performance mode,60 will run better lol...and even then,isnt 120 more taxing then 60...? how is that a performance mode...
Wtf are you even saying

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Wait, now I'm even more confused with the people saying that there is no patch and no improvements were made. So the "lighting improvements" in the PS5 version are automatic from the hardware? Or.. just a mistake? How is that supposed to happen, exactly?

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I spoke to the game director of Squadrons on Twitter. He seemed to say it's running in backward compatible mode. No ps5 version as such.

Here's what he says:
Sounds like it's BC on all versions then.

But how were they able to unlock the better lighting but not unlock the framerate on ps5?

For Xbox side that's easy, Ms already confirmed they added apis so even games running in BC could detect it's running on new machines and allow to change some settings to enable higher resolution or framerate.

On ps5 sounds like there's something similar since they are able to improve the lighting as well.

Oct 31, 2017
This is so disappointing. Bought the game on ps4 for the VR and was really hoping they would capitalize on the power of the ps5 and include VR but it seems this will continue to be a fantasy until I decide to pursue a VR pc gaming rig.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
When do the patches drop? I've never played Squadrons but have just installed it on my XsX. Doesn't show as XSX optimised.

Deleted member 56995

User requested account closure
Banned
May 24, 2019
I mean, the XSX i more powerful. We have known this for nearly half a year now.
The power gap between the PS4 Pro and the PS5 is much larger than that of the PS5 and Series X. And yet, the PS5 is apparently running identically to the PS4 Pro version. This isn't a resolution and frame rate difference borne out of a significant power difference. Most likely the game is just running in BC mode to retain VR support.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
My TV can't do 4K 120 hz but the Series X is still the better version for me right? I would think the PS5 version would be nice if it ever got DualSense support.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Most likely the game is just running in BC mode to retain VR support.
VR isn't the reason.
When do the patches drop? I've never played Squadrons but have just installed it on my XsX. Doesn't show as XSX optimised.
The game isn't optimized for either console. It uses the respective BC modes and Xbox solution just seems to be easier to patch. A few lines of codes are required on Xbox for 120FPS, while developers need to do native ports to achieve 120FPS on PS. The rocket league dev talked about this.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
VR isn't the reason. The game isn't optimized for either console. It uses the respective BC modes and Xbox solution just seems to be easier to patch. A few lines of codes are required on Xbox for 120FPS, while developers need to do native ports to achieve 120FPS on PS. The rocket league dev talked about this.

According to the upgrade notes when they update the SX version it will have two modes selectable in options - performance 120 and fidelity 60. This option has not been added yet.

Last edited:

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
i wonder what the actual frame rate is with the 120fps mode. DMC 5 wasn't even close to 120hz. Without VRR, would it even be an enjoyable experience? Maybe that's why the PS5 version doesn't support it

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Bumping this thread because the update is live!
The game now supports up to 120FPS and up to 4K on Xbox Series X|S
Added an option for players on the Xbox Series X|S to prioritize enhanced visuals or enhanced performance
Improved visual quality and lighting on PS5
Variable frame rate support added for TVs and monitors that allow it
www.ea.com

STAR WARS™: Squadrons - 3.0 Release Notes - EA Official Site

The following bug fixes, changes, and additions come in Update 3.0.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Missed this yesterday but trying it now. Showing up as Series X optimised at last. Yay. Been waiting for the update before playing. It's nice.