• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Mere weeks after the PS5 and Xbox Two were publicly called out by Slightly Mad Studios' chief executive, we've now got our first-ever glimpse at the Mad Box itself – a system that CEO Ian Bell described as "the most powerful console ever built."

The first-look reveal of the Mad Box console came via CEO Bell's official Twitter account. The tweet reveals the design of the gaming system, which was created by asking video game players to submit concepts of what they'd want a next-generation console to look like.

Indeed, if the Mad Box does end up looking like this and boasting these next-gen console features, as well as delivering on Slightly Mad Studios' promise of 4K gaming with 60fps VR support, then without doubt Sony and Microsoft will be worried, as it seems to be a system that could challenge the PS5 and Xbox Two on every level.

more at link

Sony and Microsoft are going to be worried, very worried…

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Indeed, if the Mad Box does end up looking like this and boasting these next-gen console features, as well as delivering on Slightly Mad Studios' promise of 4K gaming with 60fps VR support, then without doubt Sony and Microsoft will be worried, as it seems to be a system that could challenge the PS5 and Xbox Two on every level.

Sony and Microsoft are going to be worried, very worried

Absolutely. Two enormous companies with the financial means to develop, produce, market & distribute new machines and going to be worried about a machine that a software developer believes they're going to get out there and be a success with none of the supply chain.

Even Valve can't manage it and they have massive infrastructure. This is going to end up being a more powerful Ouya!

Rooster

Oct 27, 2017
Designing the box before you have the internals nailed down sure seems like the way to go.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It won't happen but I do like the idea of the inbuilt screen on the controllers as it means the buttons can be more clearly contextual depending upon what you're doing without having to flash something up on your TV.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Looks very edgy. The big problem with asking the audience to submit suggestions is that only a core fanbase will respond, and their preferences don't necessarily match those of the general audience. Assuming they want to sell tens of millions of those machines.

But in the end, any console lives and dies with the combination of exclusive games and third-party support.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Sony and Microsoft are going to be worried, very worried…

amn36.gif

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Anyone can make "The most powerful console ever", just throw a couple of RTX 2080Ti's into a Steambox with 16gb RAM etc and you've done it. The trick is to do it at a price people are comfortable paying!

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely terrible design. Even worse than Alienware products. Also, for a gaming console it looks very much like a PC gamer computer.

deadasdisco

Jun 10, 2018
There's no point trying unless you have substantial funding. I'm sure he knows how hard any hardware based business is, and it's even harder being a start up. I really don't see this doing well even with ambitious dreams in the current market. Only time will tell but with evidence of VALVEs attempt, while having billions in cash pile and still failing is a sad reminder. This isn't a one man show, you need developers on your side willing to put their product on there. Theres marketing as well, list goes on that is destined to fail.

I'd love to be proven wrong tho.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
HAHAHAHAHAHA it's so GAMER, they even show it playing System of Down! RGB lighting too! And it looks like the bastard child of a fan-art spaceship and a Lamborghini!

This is a joke I'm sure.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
People (fans of new competition consoles), shareholders and CEO's, thinking that getting into console bussiness is easy...

Think more then twice.

Deleted member 10060

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That design wouldn't be so bad if they just trimmed off the wings and toned things back just a wee bit. I kinda like the front panel, as long as you can dim/shut it off. I have enough lights on hardware that wants my attention in dark rooms.

So besides being a fever fantasy, what is this thing? Just a computer, you can run steam or whatever on, or does it have its own os and can only run games built for it? If it's the latter, yeah, have fun, good luck.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
There's no point trying unless you have substantial funding. I'm sure he knows how hard any hardware based business is, and it's even harder being a start up. I really don't see this doing well even with ambitious dreams in the current market. Only time will tell but with evidence of VALVEs attempt, while having billions in cash pile and still failing is a sad reminder. This isn't a one man show, you need developers on your side willing to put their product on there. Theres marketing as well, list goes on that is destined to fail.

I'd love to be proven wrong tho.

Valve wasn't comparable to traditional console approach tho, they only made the software, SteamOS, hardware was by trusted third parties, Alienware, Asus, MSI, Razor etc...etc... Similar to what CD-i did. They never tried in the first place to mass produce hardware and distribute them. Mad Box seems to be similar to traditional console manufacturing tho, and I wish them all the luck because they're going to need it.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This whole thing still feels like a joke. Even if they manage to put a product on market, the cost of what they want to do will push casual markets away, and it'll probably not have any developer support.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That design wouldn't be so bad if they just trimmed off the wings and toned things back just a wee bit. I kinda like the front panel, as long as you can dim/shut it off. I have enough lights on hardware that wants my attention in dark rooms.

So besides being a fever fantasy, what is this thing? Just a computer, you can run steam or whatever on, or does it have its own os and can only run games built for it? If it's the latter, yeah, have fun, good luck.

It's not even real and it's never coming out I wouldn't even being to concern yourself with what the OS is and what games it can play

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this design, personally. Also it looks like it will cost 800$ at least. It's dead on arrival.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I don't care much for the design, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to evoke the design of a gaming PC - the designs of which I equally do not care for. It's probably at least functional, it seems like there's plenty of airflow going around it, and the display, while an obvious added cost and possible failure point, seems like exactly the kind of thing a "gamer" gaming device would have.

If it doesn't actually try to be a console, and instead works like a custom prebuilt PC with TV output, controllers, and a curated list of PC games tested and guaranteed to run well by the thing's developers, it might actually not fail. Too hard, at least.

I've long wondered why the companies that make prebuilt gaming PCs don't just publish and maintain a list of "games released" like that, it'd effectively be the same thing as a console in terms of ease of use. Pick a game, install, play. Sure it won't propel them to explosive success of any magnitude, but it might increase sales enough to be worthwhile.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care much for the design, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to evoke the design of a gaming PC - the designs of which I equally do not care for. It's probably at least functional, it seems like there's plenty of airflow going around it, and the display, while an obvious added cost and possible failure point, seems like exactly the kind of thing a "gamer" gaming device would have.

If it doesn't actually try to be a console, and instead works like a custom prebuilt PC with TV output, controllers, and a curated list of PC games tested and guaranteed to run well by the thing's developers, it might actually not fail. Too hard, at least.

I've long wondered why the companies that make prebuilt gaming PCs don't just publish and maintain a list of "games released" like that, it'd effectively be the same thing as a console in terms of ease of use. Pick a game, install, play. Sure it won't propel them to explosive success of any magnitude, but it might increase sales enough to be worthwhile.

Because who wants a quater of what PC gaming offers. Here's your non upgradeable windows pc with 25 working games on high settings and it wont last beyond 2 years. £800 pls

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, they were actually serious with trying to do their own console. Can't say I like the console's design, but I like the idea of the controller, even if it looks like a square and uncomfortable.