• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood these, even on PS3/4 and I still don't understand them on PS5. I have my PS5 hooked up to my TV through HDMI and an optical cable that goes from my TV to my Sonos Beam soundbar. What should I set my PS5 to? Linear PCM sounds a little flat compared to Bitstream Dolby, but that could just be confirmation bias since the Sonos accepts Dolby and mixes it into stereo well (supposedly).

Oct 27, 2017
Inland Empire
I use Bitstream on my soundbar because it can actually decode it. Bitstream just seems to sound "louder" even on the PS5 dash. Also I think if you want the Dolby/DTS stuff you have to turn it on for it to show on either your Soundbar/Receiver.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
OH boy, the TV can ONLY output PCM 2.0 AT BEST to that with PCM mode.

If you go with bitstream, it's POSSIBLE that the TV MIGHT output Dolby Digital(NOT TRUE HD) OR DTS(NOT DTSHD), some TV's Optical PASSTHROUGH strips out codecs, so it might give you some raw bad format.

It's a bad answer but the best thing to do is upgrade, get a soundbar with HDMI, it'll give you better audio.

So Bitstream is your answer, one or the other.

That soundbar is criminally overpriced for how low tech it is.

If you use the soundbar's HDMI ARC from your TV to the soundbar at least then you'll get decent fidelity DOLBY DIGITAL

It's digusting that Sonus didn't include at LEAST E-ARC in that thing in 2020 for the price they're asking.

Sorry to say, but you got robbed.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Just use PCM. Bitstream adds sound lag for gaming and the only reason you would actual need bitstream for is Atmos. You aren't losing anything by using pcm

Edit: NM might be different for a sound bar. I'm used to normal AVR's

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OH boy, the TV can ONLY output PCM 2.0 AT BEST to that with PCM mode.

If you go with bitstream, it's POSSIBLE that the TV MIGHT output Dolby Digital(NOT TRUE HD) OR DTS(NOT DTSHD), some TV's Optical PASSTHROUGH strips out codecs, so it might give you some raw bad format.

It's a bad answer but the best thing to do is upgrade, get a soundbar with HDMI, it'll give you better audio.

So Bitstream is your answer, one or the other.

My soundbar supports HDMI, the problem is that only HDMI 1 supports ARC and that same port is needed to get 4K/60fps with HDR. Thanks Vizio for making one port the the best and the rest of the HDMI's shitty.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
My soundbar supports HDMI, the problem is that only HDMI 1 supports ARC and that same port is needed to get 4K/60fps with HDR. Thanks Vizio for making one port the the best and the rest of the HDMI's shitty.

That's unfortunate, sorry to hear that.

Just try hooking up the Soundbar to your HDMI ARC port and the PS5 to another HDMI port, you SHOULD be able to get audio from the PS5 through the sound bar in this way, it'll probably be stripped so use BITREAM still, but I don't think you need that Optical cable. The TV should be sending the audio to the soundbar FROM the PS5, over ARC(because your soundbar is connected to the HDMI ARC port).

In the future consider spending your hard earned money on more deserving tech.

Last edited:

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I have the same. I have my Vizio sound bar connected to the best Vizio TV HDMI input while an HDMI switcher outputs to the sound bar.

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's unfortunate, sorry to hear that.

Just try hooking up the Soundbar to your HDMI ARC port and the PS5 to another HDMI port, you SHOULD be able to get audio from the PS5 through the sound bar in this way, it'll probably be stripped so use BITREAM still, but I don't think you need that Optical cable.

In the future consider spending your hard earned money on more deserving tech.

Lol, tv upgrade is for fall 2021. Gotta pace myself.

OP
OP
MercuryLS

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Heh, I have the same. I have my Vizio sound bar connected to the best Vizio TV HDMI input while an HDMI switcher outputs to the sound bar.

Did you run into any issues with the HDMI switcher? Would be nice to directly plug in my PS5 and Sonos beam into HDMI 1 and get the full benefit of HDMI 2.0 for the PS5 and ARC functionality for the beam.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Did you run into any issues with the HDMI switcher? Would be nice to directly plug in my PS5 and Sonos beam into HDMI 1 and get the full benefit of HDMI 2.0 for the PS5 and ARC functionality for the beam.

Ok, I have an AVR, I have it plugged into the HDMI ARC port on my TV. I have my Cable BOX plugged into HDMI 3 port, because of this setup my CABLE BOX sends AUDIO to my AVR, this is how ARC WORKS.

Try what I suggested, you SHOULD get AUDIO from your PS5 and out of your Soundbar.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, the only thing is it's annoying to switch HDMI inputs on the switcher because I have mine positioned hidden behind my sound bar. I think this is the one. I use it for my PS5, XSX, Switch, Apple TV, 4K player.

4K@60Hz Premium 5 Port HDMI Switch with Remote, 5 in 1 Out HDMI Switcher, Support UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision, Atmos, YCbCr 4:4:4, HDCP2.2 and CEC: Amazon.ca: Electronics

4K@60Hz Premium 5 Port HDMI Switch with Remote, 5 in 1 Out HDMI Switcher, Support UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision, Atmos, YCbCr 4:4:4, HDCP2.2 and CEC: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of have the opposite problem of you whereby my TV (2016 samsung) is the one that doesn't have eARC support, leaving me with sound lag issues on bitstream.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
PS4 and PS5 seem to perform exactly the same for me, but in either case I *have* to use Dolby or else some games won't have surround sound.

An "old" Vizio soundbar with wireless rear speakers/sub.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Put the Sonos to Dolby.( look in the app and you can see what it's translating the audio to be if you go to settings /about my system if PCM isn't 5.1 then Dolby will be better)
Sonos doesn't support DTS

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
If you're using it for stereo, don't see why you're bothering with bitstream as it would be sending out a compressed 5.1 signal just to be downmixed to 2.0 by your soundbar. Compared to the stereo LPCM which, by it's nature, is uncompressed.

That's assuming that the PS5 -(HDMI)> TV -(Optical)> soundbar handshake works properly, and the TV is literally just passing the audio along with no alteration.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. If you're using stereo stick with PCM, it's less compressed and you won't get audio lip-sync issues due to the extra processing needed to convert to bitstream.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I think Optical out only supports stereo PCM - if you want multichannel you'll need to use bitstream to send a DD5.1 signal to the sound bar.

Same issue if you have a regular ARC HDMI - only stereo PCM which I realised after several hours wondering why my sound seemed off and the PS5 had defaulted to PCM

Ego

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
For people having audio lag issues with the PS4/5 through bitstream: Try bitstream DTS. For some reason it didn't introduce audio lag on my old sets.
Also look for specific A/V Sync options on your TV. There is a good chance you can eliminate lag with this methods.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
PCM is ALWAYS the best choice whenever possible: it's uncompressed audio with original quality.

Then, depending of your setup, you may have to use a compressed format via bitstream, especially with optical cable which is old and irrelevant nowadays, in order to enjoy more than 2.0 audio.

Also, it's always better to connect a console directly to the sound system before to reach a TV, but the sound have to support it with 1 or more HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
I think Optical out only supports stereo PCM - if you want multichannel you'll need to use bitstream to send a DD5.1 signal to the sound bar.

Same issue if you have a regular ARC HDMI - only stereo PCM which I realised after several hours wondering why my sound seemed off and the PS5 had defaulted to PCM
This part isn't true. I guess it depends on the actual tv m(apparently some tv aren't "allowed" to passthrough 5.1 with normal ARC)and if you are using a reciever because I am using regular ARC and I am getting 5.1 dolby on my AVR still. Sony tv Yamaha receiver

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just go for what you prefer sound wise. Some people prefer the louder sound of dolby or dts but I use pcm since it's uncompressed although it does sound quieter.

My current set up is PS5 to TV using hdmi 4. and then I return audio via HDMI 3 (earc) to my receivers ARC out. All set to PCM. 5.1 surround. I was worried I was going to have to by a new receiver but thankfully not.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm getting my PS5 this week and I've been wondering, for someone who's been using TV Speakers all the time and linear PCM on PS4 is it still recommended on PS5 to do the same or should I change both the console and TV to Bitstream?

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I'm getting my PS5 this week and I've been wondering, for someone who's been using TV Speakers all the time and linear PCM on PS4 is it still recommended on PS5 to do the same or should I change both the console and TV to Bitstream?
Use the same settings

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
PCM lets the console handle the audio decoding.

Bitstream lets the TV or receiver handle it.

Set it to whichever device is better at it. If you have a decent receiver, use Bitstream, otherwise leave it PCM.

DoofTroop

Alt account
Banned
Sep 29, 2021
I know I'm posting in a old thread but I've had issues with this for years and it's driving me nuts.

I've been trying to get my 5.1 soundbar to work with my various TVs over the past year and a half and I'm still having issues so I'm asking Reddit.

The short is this:

TV: LG C1
Soundbar: Samsung Q-70T (eARC) w/ wireless rear speakers and sub, 5.1 audio
Device: PS4/PS5

The problem: When audio settings on the consoels are on the default (PCM), the audio maxes out at 2.1 with no audio delay. On the other hand, if I select DTS or Dolby, the audio goes up to 5.1 with a slight audio delay. It's pretty noticable, with the PS5 controller haptic feedback not matching what is happening on screen. Very obvious when I use headphones.

I've tried every setting, on the TV, soundbar, and consoles. Passthrough is enabled, eARC is enabled, and all three devices are compatible with DTS and Dolby through earc.

I know the solution is to plug directly into the soundbar but that would eliminate HDMI 2.1 features that I want to use.

Does anyone have a solution or an idea of how to fix this issue?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
On your PS5 are you selecting AV Reciever as your audio device type? Or Soundbar? Soundbar limits me to 2.0 and so I set it to AV to get 5.1.

I'm going PS5 in AV Receiver 5.1 and Dolby mode>TCL TV via HDMI>ARC out from the TV to Soundbar. I get no audio lag, it's 5.1 as it should be, and don't have to touch any settings unless my TV acts up. (it has HDMI handshake and CEC issues, bigtime)

DoofTroop

Alt account
Banned
Sep 29, 2021
On your PS5 are you selecting AV Reciever as your audio device type? Or Soundbar? Soundbar limits me to 2.0 and so I set it to AV to get 5.1.

I'm going PS5 in AV Receiver 5.1 and Dolby mode>TCL TV via HDMI>ARC out from the TV to Soundbar. I get no audio lag, it's 5.1 as it should be, and don't have to touch any settings unless my TV acts up. (it has HDMI handshake and CEC issues, bigtime)
TBH most of those settings in the ps5 don't change much. Whether I select AV Amp or soundbar, I get 2.0 with no delay on PCM, and 5.1 with delay on Dolby/DTS. The way I confirm the audio is using last of us remastered or last of us 2, which provides far better audio settings than 99% of the games on the system as well as the ps5 itself.

So are you saing that I might be able to fix my issues if I get an AV receiver?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Hmm, in that case I'm not sure what advice to give you. Might be a setting or something with the TV. For example in my TCL (Android TV, not Roku) I had to go set the Digital Audio Out setting to "Pass Through". The other options were PCM, Auto, and Off. Auto wouldn't give me 5.1 and also wouldn't let the TV talk to my Soundbar with CEC to control volume etc. I forgot what was wrong with PCM, might have been delay, but since I'm in Pass Through mode, I'm essentially sending Dolby from the PS5 to the TV and straight to the Soundbar without the TV touching the signal.

I don't want to be responsible with telling anyone to go buy something! lol

DoofTroop

Alt account
Banned
Sep 29, 2021
Hmm, in that case I'm not sure what advice to give you. Might be a setting or something with the TV. For example in my TCL (Android TV, not Roku) I had to go set the Digital Audio Out setting to "Pass Through". The other options were PCM, Auto, and Off. Auto wouldn't give me 5.1 and also wouldn't let the TV talk to my Soundbar with CEC to control volume etc. I forgot what was wrong with PCM, might have been delay, but since I'm in Pass Through mode, I'm essentially sending Dolby from the PS5 to the TV and straight to the Soundbar without the TV touching the signal.

I don't want to be responsible with telling anyone to go buy something! lol
lol thanks i'll keep fiddling

i had the same issue. i bought a HDMI audio extractor. Now everything works fine.
can you give me a link to the one you used?

Oct 27, 2017
What is everyone's preference? All stereo mode where everything comes out of all speakers OR surround mode where, if you hear a waterfall on the right side of you and turn left, the waterfall sound goes away?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
PCM lets the console handle the audio decoding.

Bitstream lets the TV or receiver handle it.

Set it to whichever device is better at it. If you have a decent receiver, use Bitstream, otherwise leave it PCM.

And don't forget if you're watching a BluRay movie, there settings for audio that you pull up... during the movie.