• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Never seen a controller torn down before. Looks cool. And yeah, those triggers look intricate as promised.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
084f157e54694987ecb05a49eee33e86.jpeg

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
It had to be instagram, can't see anything. Hope they do a teardown of the system soon. I wante a Dual Sense for PC, but I hope it's not impossible to repair. I repair all my controllers, it can't be as bad as Stadia at least.

Edit: Oh cool someone posted pics, it looks nice and easy to repair. That's a relief.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Come on Sony, where's our official breakdowns. You said you would do a console one and said we would all be surprised by the cooling solution you took this time

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the image scale is weird, but I don't see how the bottom right board would fit.
Maybe a debug board?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
No reason, the DS3 controller's triggers were held in place by small tabs if I remember correctly. They are designed to be pushed in so there's little pressure on anything other than a spring. Maybe the person mean the resistance feature but none of us know how strong that is and how the player will be encouraged to fight past that resistance to maybe snap some part. Eh, I still don't see how that would break anything though.

rQlpNbD.jpg

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
why did i click on this link like i know anything about teardowns of electronics?

The Maverick

Oct 27, 2017
How much is going to leak before Sony takes control of the narrative? We're going to see the UI in the wild first at this point.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Curious to see a parts price breakdown estimate and if there's anything in there to justify the price increase. Overall I just hope it's more durable than the DS4, especially the Triggers and Sticks.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Why are all the images of PS5 we get all low quality leaks lol. Come on Sony show us high quality real life pictures already.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, never seen so many chips on a mere controller pcb.

Is that one taptic engine per handle? Nice.

Also, I hoped for a console teardown but got a controller instead. Figures.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I want a high-res close up shot of the trigger internals.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
Is anyone making shells for the new controllers yet?

Also, I'm massively happy that the handles are wider apart than the ds4... i hope it's heavier too. The ds4 felt too light, almost flimsy to me.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this looks like it's going to be complex to take apart and fix and reassemble. Also after all this time and a full controller redesign, still no compartment to hold the battery?

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know people were breaking triggers on the DualShock 4.

DS4 didn't have intricate design like this. So far design of triggers in gamepad was simple, pivot point and spring. From these pictures it looks like that trigger on DS5 is connected with plastic bit to adaptive part, and my fear is that plastic part.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
We can barely make out details. It will suck if a lot of pressure is put on a tiny piece of plastic though, but I don't see how any design would use that.

I'm still surprised Valve used these for the bumpers which break, but for triggers I doubt any company would leave everything to one plastic connection. But Valve wasn't known for making controllers at the time.
B0zRICY.jpg

Likely there's two tabs somewhere for the Dualsense that allow the triggers to pivot or something at the least. That thing that it's connected to could just be connected by some short flat plastic wire connectors.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I didn't know people were breaking triggers on the DualShock 4.

They are? I never broke any of the ones I have.

It was a widely known issue from launch till 2016. I went through about half a dozen DS4 myself. All had the exact same issue ; Flimsy plastic hinges holding the back triggers that would just snap after a few months of use. Sony redesigned those as part of the Dualshock V2 upgrade, successfully.

I don't see them making a similar mistake again tbh.