• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Hello,
I myself and all of my friend with the ps5 disk or regular edition found something weird...

PS5 randomly spins the game disk(of there is a disk in the trey ofc) every hour on them minute and it spins for like 10 seconds.

At first i thought, huh maybe this is a new autentication process to prove that the game is still inside.

But now i'm kinda thinking its a UI bug, why? Well i completely installed miles morales while playing astro bots. Surely you would think that after the game completely installs it will stop spinning untill i ether start spider man or reboot the system. Turns out it spinned about 4 tines in my astrobots playthough.

Is this a known bug? Bc i would really hate to eject the game disk when im watching movies on netflix or hulu.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the disc drive or the fans kicking in for a routine blast or something. It's the only time I hear the system.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah firmware is still buggy. Gotta wait for dem stability updates.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hello,
I myself and all of my friend with the ps5 disk or regular edition found something weird...

PS5 randomly spins the game disk(of there is a disk in the trey ofc) every hour on them minute and it spins for like 10 seconds.

At first i thought, huh maybe this is a new autentication process to prove that the game is still inside.

But now i'm kinda thinking its a UI bug, why? Well i completely installed miles morales while playing astro bots. Surely you would think that after the game completely installs it will stop spinning untill i ether start spider man or reboot the system. Turns out it spinned about 4 tines in my astrobots playthough.

Is this a known bug? Bc i would really hate to eject the game disk when im watching movies on netflix or hulu.
I noticed this, it must be some kind of check to make sure you still have the game or something

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Same for me, annoying af and surely a bug. it even does this when playing digital games so it can´t be an authentication check. and it also does this when a digital game download is finished.

can´t understand why things like this made it to the release version and why it still isn´t patched, this is easily adjustable with a hotfix.
the whole OS is beta state at best...

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Yeah I had the same thing going on for my console. Demon Souls disc loaded, but while playing Astrobot I can still hear the disc spin up occasionally. Probably a bug.

Back on the PS4 it only spins upon cold boot and upon launching the disc game.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Noticed this as well. I've gotten kind of used to it already, but it is noticeable yeah.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Same here, for a few seconds then back to silence. I think mine is longer than an hour though.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's no biggie and it only seems to happen when i'm not playing the game.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Why would you eject the disk when watching streaming media?
Thats exacly what im saying i want to leave the game disk in while watching netflix 🙂.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's the disc drive or the fans kicking in for a routine blast or something. It's the only time I hear the system.
Its definetely the game disk. I jumped up out of my seat to hear where it was coming from. And when i pressed the eject button it stopped.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I noticed this too. Told my mate at PS so hopefully he'll pass it on. They probably already know anyway cos obviously they're looking at stuff.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Yep - no other issues but have noticed this. It's happened when I play Rocket League too - which I have digital.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Yeah, hopefully they change this. It's not a deal-breaker or anything but it is kinda annoying.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, hopefully it'll get patched out in an update soon.

CrackaFett

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
ive noticed this while playing demons souls. I have miles in the drive and it will randomly start up when im playing. Not sure how often.

Bran

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this scared the bejeezers outta me when I was playing Demon's Souls.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
same here

its spinning the disc just like your are saying for demons souls

Munstre

Mar 7, 2020
Yeh it does randomly spin the disc for a few seconds every once in a while for no reason.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The couple seconds that I've heard the disc drive spin up being described as "annoying," "a problem" or even anything more than a blip barely worth blinking at is really kind of baffling to me. Like, the level of "pristine" that some people here want these consoles to be, and the suggestions that things have to be fixed and must be some mistake without having any kind of understanding of why or what it's doing, is kind of amazing.

I can only imagine what anyone here might have thought of the breadth of noises you'd get out of a Dreamcast.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Soon enough this will become something about how Sony is intrusive security checking our disk even when its not playing.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It will happen when you are playing a digital game with a different disc inside.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I assume it's just checking what disc is in the drive. But given that it spins up the check whenever you start a disc based game anyway, it feels uneccesary to check it every hour or so. It is irritating as it's so much louder than anything else the system does.

I do hope they change it so it only does it when you're actually starting a disc based game. Feels uneccesarily frequent right now.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's varying your disc for licensing reasons I'd say. It's probably spinning while you're not playing the game because the game is suspended in the background while you stream video. ps4 was able to use a video app and a game at the same time. Ps5 is most likely similar

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
The disc spins up at random times.

It's a bit annoying since the disc drive is the loudest part of the console and very rattle-y at least when horizontal. You can tell the emphasis was on the digital edition. It's definitely influencing me buying all my games digital going forward just to avoid having a disc in the drive.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I have noticed this happening regardless of whether I'm playing the game on the disc or something else. It's noticeable because you rarely hear the system outside of that.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
It's varying your disc for licensing reasons I'd say. It's probably spinning while you're not playing the game because the game is suspended in the background while you stream video. ps4 was able to use a video app and a game at the same time. Ps5 is most likely similar
I assume the same about licensing, but that isn't the case about a game being suspended. I've more or less had the Demon's Souls game in the tray since launch, and even while playing Days Gone (There is no suspend while you're playing another game), it still spins up the disc occasionally.

I thought it still might be about keeping the licence, but the fact that it spins up the disc whenever I start Demon's Souls (Despite it theoretically "knowing" that disc is still in the drive) regardless suggests that isn't what's going on (Or if it is, it doesn't need to be doing that).

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
The couple seconds that I've heard the disc drive spin up being described as "annoying," "a problem" or even anything more than a blip barely worth blinking at is really kind of baffling to me. Like, the level of "pristine" that some people here want these consoles to be, and the suggestions that things have to be fixed and must be some mistake without having any kind of understanding of why or what it's doing, is kind of amazing.

I can only imagine what anyone here might have thought of the breadth of noises you'd get out of a Dreamcast.
It's a valid complaint. Why would it need to periodically check the disc even when it's not in use than?

Also for me it's louder than the PS4 ever was and Sony addressed that criticism very well. It's also something that should be able to stop in a firmware update.

Deleted member 6511

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello,

Yes! I have 1 game that I play on disk and this is the only noise coming from my PS5: I am watching netflix and thw rhing start spinning!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I was just playing Spider-Man: Miles Morales and noticed the disc started to read for a short time after being silent since I started the game.

I thought for a minute it was trying to install the PS4 version off the disc. I checked the SSD and there is a small 5.8MB PS4 Spider-Man file but it hasn't installed the whole PS4 version.

Maybe it just does a check to make sure the disc is still in after a certain time period.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Yes this has happened since launch. I don't know if it's every hour exactly, but yeah randomly reads the disc for some weird reason. Will probably get fixed.. but just incase I hope some are tweeting PlayStation customer support to give them a heads up.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think it happens when the PS5 checks for updates to the installed games, and part of the check is it looking to see what disc is in the drive (even if that doesn't even matter). Unfortunate but they just need to alter the firmware to not do disc checks unless you're attempting to run a game that the system knows to have been installed via a disc.

PS4 randomly spun up my disc drive sometimes even when I wasn't playing that particular game, so it's not completely unfounded.