• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Update: Sony has added an option to only enable HDR for games that support it.

Something I've seen mentioned a few times that has me concerned is that the PS5 is always in HDR mode, even on the main menu.

This is done to eliminate the quick black screen you get when switching between SDR and HDR. It keeps your tv and it's settings as they would be in HDR mode all the time and simply tone maps when SDR is present. (I could be explaining that wrong and invite correction)

Personally, I'm not a fan of this approach and it's something that really annoyed people when Apple TV 4K came out. My settings are very different on my television between the two modes. I'm sure some may find no issue with this at all, but I thought it deserved a bit of attention. I'm not saying it should be removed, but rather a content dependent toggle should be added, if it's not there already. At this time I've not seen anything mentioned about it being there.

Also mentioned by Digital Foundry.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Like Windows 10 also. People says it's broken but I think it's working for me most of the same beside when you use custom resolution. If Xbsx auto hdr is anything comparable to the LG hdr effect mode I expect the results are all over the place also.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I very good thing as it avoids the TV from switching in and out of HDR mode. It is now constant across the board.
Yes, I don't see what's not to like here. It's the perfect solution if they want to stick to accuracy. As cool as auto hdr on xbsx, as I said on the post above, will be a mix results that makes you go into the menu setting to turn on and off for each games unless they have per game profile.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I don't see what's not to like here. It's the perfect solution if they want to stick to accuracy. As cool as auto hdr on xbsx, as I said on the post above, will be a mix results that makes you go into the menu setting to turn on and off for each games unless they have per game profile.

This isn't that.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I too hate that the Apple TV 4k defaulted to that same deal and I immediately turned that off. SDR needs to stay SDR and HDR needs to stay HDR. It's bad enough when streaming services like Disney+ shove a bunch of SDR content into HDR wrappers, which makes a lot of that content look outright worse.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018
I do not like this at all. I have different settings between sdr and hdr. Will have to try this out but it should have an option to disable it.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I too hate that the Apple TV 4k defaulted to that same deal and I immediately turned that off. SDR needs to stay SDR and HDR needs to stay HDR. It's bad enough when streaming services like Disney+ shove a bunch of SDR content into HDR wrappers, which makes a lot of that content look outright worse.
It should not if the TV is calibrated correctly, look brighter should be the only side effect.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The game icons in the UI are blinding on my Q90R TV. Odd because he states that he's not capturing HDR?

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I thought one of the benefits of hdmi 2.1 is the ability to switch hdr and sdr without flickering?

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It should not if the TV is calibrated correctly, look brighter should be the only side effect.

Nope, zero-effort HDR content on my set looks much darker than it should. My set is one of the brightest HDR sets out there but zero-effort HDR content look demonstrably worse than it would if it were SDR. Disney+ is the worst offender though, but sometimes Amazon and Netflix will release some garbage HDR as well. It's more of an exception than the rule at least.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah that sucks, they need to make this an option.

The PS5 OS is coming in really hot, I can see this being addressed along with a lot of the other OS issues in the hopefully not too distant future.

Last edited:

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
I really hate this functionality. It's why I stopped using the netflix app on xbox, because it always stuck in HDR mode even when playing SDR content. The only way to defeat it was to quit netflix, turn off HDR in system settings, then relaunch netflix (then repeat the process when you want HDR again). SDR content with the TV in HDR mode just doesn't look right.

I know some older TVs switch between SDR and HDR slowly, though on my OLED it is basically instant. An option to use this or not would be nice.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, won't this affect how SDR content looks like? The same thing happens when you enable Windows 10's HDR option and play SDR games that run in borderless window. They added a brightness slider but that doesn't fix the color issues I saw the last time I had my PC connected to my TV.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Nope, zero-effort HDR content on my set looks much darker than it should. My set is one of the brightest HDR sets out there but zero-effort HDR content look demonstrably worse than it would if it were SDR. Disney+ is the worst offender though, but sometimes Amazon and Netflix will release some garbage HDR as well. It's more of an exception than the rule at least.

No, it wouldn't be. There's a reason there was an outcry from professional calibrators when the Apple TV 4K came out and it forced HDR on everything.
It sounds like apple tv itself is also the problem

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Are we sure the PS5 doesn't have an option for this? I've asked some people on Twitter and here and not gotten a clear answer. Putting everything in HDR is absolutely the wrong move. Having an option for all HDR or selective, based on content, is the right move.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see how well it handles the tonemapping before I get upset about it. I usually turn this sort of thing off but John from DF said it actually looked pretty good. There should absolutely be a toggle for it but until I see it in action I can't really have an opinion.

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Would be a really dumb move from Sony if it turns out that all the streaming apps launched from the PS5 are also running in HDR no matter the content.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Wait, won't this affect how SDR content looks like? The same thing happens when you enable Windows 10's HDR option and play SDR games that run in borderless window. They added a brightness slider but that doesn't fix the color issues I saw the last time I had my PC connected to my TV.
Putting Windows 10 into HDR mode and playing SDR content is basically the same thing as this from what I can tell.

Inti

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, i'll be turning this off. My Chromecast with Google TV does this, same as Netflix on Xbox and, honestly, I don't like. So glad Google let me turn it off, so I will definitely turn it off on the PS5. It's just not accurate, and causes SDR content to look "off".

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Based on John's reaction to it (or lack thereof), it doesn't appear to have the problems normally associated with running SDR inside of an HDR container. It's not trying to do any sort of conversion or crappy auto-expansion of SDR into HDR. The only thing John mentioned, which I saw in Gamespot's video on Ghost of Tsushima which I assume is the same thing, was that the image is a little bit brighter, but little enough that I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if John hadn't said anything. But if it really bothers you, a notch or two down on the in-game brightness slider should do the trick.

Honestly, this will affect video playback more than anything else. I run Disney+ through there, and the PS4 app doesn't support HDR. Maybe we'll get lucky and the PS5 app will.

For those of you saying "oh, I'll just turn it off", bear in mind that will probably disable HDR entirely at the system level, including for all of your games. Choose wisely.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia

Yes, and this will most definitely fuck up near black levels on OLEDS.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Yeah this sucks. My TV is calibrated, but the HDR modes are not quite as accurate. They're as good as you can get a C16 OLED, but the SDR modes are essentially perfect so if there are no actual HDR benefits it'll just be an objective downgrade in picture quality for me.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think if your tv is calibrated properly, then SDR in a HDR container should look the same. This reminds me of RDR2 HDR, the game was basically SDR in a HDR container, on and off looked pretty much the same on my TV. But yeah I turn it off if SDR content looks worse, I'm sure DF, and HDTV Test will test out this feature, so all of us can be better informed.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Based on John's reaction to it (or lack thereof), it doesn't appear to have the problems normally associated with running SDR inside of an HDR container. It's not trying to do any sort of conversion or crappy auto-expansion of SDR into HDR. The only thing John mentioned, which I saw in Gamespot's video on Ghost of Tsushima which I assume is the same thing, was that the image is a little bit brighter, but little enough that I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all if John hadn't said anything. But if it really bothers you, a notch or two down on the in-game brightness slider should do the trick.

Honestly, this will affect video playback more than anything else. I run Disney+ through there, and the PS4 app doesn't support HDR. Maybe we'll get lucky and the PS5 app will.

For those of you saying "oh, I'll just turn it off", bear in mind that will probably disable HDR entirely at the system level, including for all of your games. Choose wisely.
Oof. Well I'll definitely have to play around with it.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not a good idea. Hope they patch that soon (along with external HDD cold storage, quick resume, VRR, and ALLM.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely do not like this. I'll happily wait the one second for the screen to switch over than have my OLED at max brightness when showing SDR stuff because the console just stays in HDR mode all the time

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

It might look "A little brighter" on an OLED, but going from my SDR brightness of 15 to my HDR of 100, is a blindingly obvious change on my 900E.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I think if your tv is calibrated properly, then SDR in a HDR container should look the same. This reminds me of RDR2 HDR, the game was basically SDR in a HDR container, on and off looked pretty much the same on my TV. But yeah I turn it off if SDR content looks worse, I'm sure DF, and HDTV Test will test out this feature, so all of us can be better informed.

Most people don't calibrate their TV, and out-of-the-box HDR modes tend to be even more innaccurate than SDR modes. So for most this is just going to result in a worse-looking image. Also HDR calibration typically involves maxing out your display's nits, so if you're playing an SDR game in a dark room it's going to be far brighter than it should be.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
The problem is that the PS4 handled this perfectly fine. It was not broken. Yeah there's a slight flash between SDR and HDR modes but it's an incredibly small price to pay to get each type of content presented accurately. That is, SDR games in SDR, HDR games in HDR.

if you want to add an additional setting, to force HDR all the time, that's fine, but don't take away the original operation that worked. Just add a setting.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is that the PS4 handled this perfectly fine. It was not broken. Yeah there's a slight flash between SDR and HDR modes but it's an incredibly small price to pay to get each type of content presented accurately. That is, SDR games in SDR, HDR games in HDR.

if you want to add an additional setting, to force HDR all the time, that's fine, but don't take away the original operation that worked. Just add a setting.

This is exactly what I'm saying.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

Pretty much this.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Most people don't calibrate their TV, and out-of-the-box HDR modes tend to be even more innaccurate than SDR modes. So for most this is just going to result in a worse-looking image.
Yeah trying to calibrate for HDR is a pain. Hopefully Sony adds more options for HDR, like on all the time, Auto, and off.