• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017

Edit:

Since this gets brought up a lot. Changing button assignments on the PS4 currently to swap O and X logic inputs does not do the same thing to the system UI and for UI in games.

I have tested it right now and the PS4 system menu is still saying X for Enter when it should be Back.

It's already a half-assed solution now, so of course when PS5 is catered to the west I'm curious to see if changing button assignments to affect UI would be improved upon on PS5.

Last edited:

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain to me why there was the regional disparity in the first place?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Sucks for the people having to get used to the buttons swapping, but having them different between regions was always weird. This feels like a long overdue "ripping the bandaid off" moment.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Cheesemeister is having a bit of an overreaction there. People will get used to it in, like, five minutes. This was long overdue.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo players will continue to feel the pain if they also play on a PS or Xbox, and now the Japanese PS5 will provide no escape.

always pressing the wrong button

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
A normal reaction would be: that's weird, I don't like it but ok.
This guy: fuck this shit, bullshit fuck you.

fkin gamers

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
They needed a global standard and should have made the change ages ago. Which is the global standard doesn't matter to me but I'm happy there is one. People will get used to it.

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why we can't just O to confirm. I always get used to it when playing nintendo games and Metal Gears Solid, it's just annoying to switch, so I'd like there to be a standard, not sure why the Playstation is catering to the west here.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The change is after 25 years of Playstation, but 40+ years of JP/Asia game industry standard.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is this only on system level though? Games could still map their buttons as they want or not?
On my JP Vita I need to use Circle for confirm on the system level but in games it's X (unless it's a JP game)

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Cheese is really losing it...damn. I get that it's gonna be an issue when it comes to muscle memory but dude is having a meltdown

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Can someone explain to me why there was the regional disparity in the first place?

X as a symbol means cancel, forbidden, No, Negative.

O is a bit like a Tick mark

So when it came to allocating a triangle, Square, Circle and a Cross to actions, it ended up like that.

One could also say it's perhaps why the Xbox struggles as a brand in Japan.

Last edited:

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's hoping developers will adapt for the new games, but wasn't this pretty unnecessary?

Well, maybe on the up side Genshin Impact will finally have button remapping (or revert to how many are used to 'X' to confirm and 'O' to cancel)

On the down side this might be confusing playing JP PS4 BC games so who knows how the transition will go

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Feeling the cheese on this one. It was a weird and pointless change to begin with, and now they spread the weird to the region where it didn't happen in the first place.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why we can't just O to confirm. I always get used to it when playing nintendo games and Metal Gears Solid, it's just annoying to switch, so I'd like there to be a standard, not sure why the Playstation is catering to the west here.
Probably because many more PS4s were sold in regions where X is confirm.

It should've stayed as an option though imo.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only a bother when I'm playing a JP import game.
X as a symbol means cancel, forbidden, No, Negative.

O is a bit like a Tick mark

So when it came to allocating a triangle, Square, Circle and a Cross to actions, it ended up like that.
So many times I cancelled whatever I was doing when pressing X.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I removed the second tweet from cheesemeister since it was derailing the discussion.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I await the expert in Japanese gaming to explain why Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
To be honest, this seems like a straightforward decision. Whatever they ended up choosing, making button mapping like this globally standardized for every region makes sense.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every time I switch between PS4 and Switch it takes me a few seconds to adapt to the difference.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
The symbols for O and X mean correct and wrong in Japan. They are known as Maru and Batsu respectively. They are even typically depicted in the same colors that were used for their PlayStation symbols (most likely where they got the PS color from in the first place).

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
A normal reaction would be: that's weird, I don't like it but ok.
This guy: fuck this shit, bullshit fuck you.
lol yeah. I think many of us learned to adapt anyway, as if you switched between Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, even different developers, etc. you would have to relearn action button prompts. But you will adapt in minutes, stupid to be enraged by it

I'm playing Silent Hill 4 now on PC, and for some reason Square is confirm, which was weird at first, but I'm too lazy to change it, just rolling with it

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
i don't get it
is this dude famous?
shouldn't be more interesting to read the reaction from japanese players rather than this single dude on twitter