• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'd rather VI just get something akin to the Romancing Saga remasters.

rom-saga-3_feature.jpg

romancing_saga.jpg
Yeah I'd rather they just do nice simple remasters of each of the games, and that way if they do want to do a grand AAA remake, they're only doing it because they have a creative vision for it.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
He said real time combat. Remake is a hybrid behind Action and turn based so he's still right. FF never had anything notable action wise.
FF7R's combat isn't realtime though. It's realtime / atb hybrid

I'm puzzled that it could *not* be considered realtime tbh. That's how you primarily play it. They may call the mechanic where you fill up gauges "ATB" but it isn't even remotely like anything turn-based so I wouldn't even call it a hybrid, imho.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It just shows how wide the spectrum of things that could be technically called "Souls-like" really is.

Yeah true, I'm not sure what even binds them all together at this point other than I guess challenging encounters and checkpoint design. Even that is flexible. Regardless I'm excited for a fresh spin on the series.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I'm puzzled that it could *not* be considered realtime tbh. That's how you primarily play it. They may call the mechanic where you fill up gauges "ATB" but it isn't even remotely like anything turn-based so I wouldn't even call it a hybrid, imho.
It's essentially turn based with a real time chip damage element added in. You never rely on just attacks and have to use your ATB skills to do anything meaningful. So, in essence, it's a hybrid.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's essentially turn based with a real time chip damage element added in. You never rely on just attacks and have to use your ATB skills to do anything meaningful. So, in essence, it's a hybrid.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Man, reading about the game being some kind of JFO or Souls-like doesn't appeal to me for now. JFO was decent though.
I love FF, so maybe it could be the game to make me like Souls-like elements. Closest Souls-like games I enjoyed enough for now were JFO and Darksiders 3.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

ATB is still a core mechanic of the game, both in terms of skills and obligatory character switching. You can't just play the game like an action game.

Is this gonna be some musou trash?

Everything points at Nioh-like so far.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Is this gonna be some musou trash?

Maybe check the theadmarks before grumpy posting. They often contain vital information that address common hot takes.

Is there really a need for soulsborne Final Fantasy??

I mean....why?

I would agree, if this was internally developed at Square. However, Nioh is excellent. If anyone other than From can make the concept work for a new IP, it's probably that dev team.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I don't really consider filling up gauges for special attacks turn-based, not when movement, standard attacks, blocking and dodging still happen in realtime. I think calling it "turn-based" is a bit of a stretch.
Command-based may be a more appropriate descriptor perhaps but even then it's still mostly realtime action.

ATB is still a core mechanic of the game, both in terms of skills and obligatory character switching. You can't just play the game like an action game.

I mean, it's not a DMC i.e. a character action game, but...I'd still absolutely consider it realtime action.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't really consider filling up gauges for special attacks turn-based, not when movement, standard attacks, blocking and dodging still happen in realtime. I think calling it "turn-based" is a bit of a stretch.
Command-based may be a more appropriate descriptor perhaps but even then it's still mostly realtime action.
I'm not calling it turn based. I'm calling it hybrid. It's not a one or the other.

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Navtra debunked the Warriors/Ivalice rumours yet hasn't said it's not a souls like despite posting multiple times since then. It's happening.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
We basically already did the Final Fantasy I reimagining thing with Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light on the DS.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Is there really a need for soulsborne Final Fantasy??

I mean....why?

They're popular and it's something FF as a brand hasn't attempted yet, so why not? I can personally see it working really well despite not really being big into Soulslikes.

Even if the FF audience doesn't necessarily demand one, those that like those sorts of games might be drawn to it and then potentially be interested in checking out other FF games.

Nov 17, 2020
The error is thinking this is aimed for the hardcore FF fans.

Dark Souls III and Jedi Fallen Order sold 10 million copies.

I will kindly remind you that the star wars game had as an audience the star wars audience and the dark souls 3 had an audience the dark souls audience.

What happens when you make a game that your audience doesn't want it?

I'm very sceptical of the genre in relation with the FF brand. But I will wait until I see gameplay. For now it's a "meh" from me

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Souls games are bigger than Final Fantasy now. It wouldn't be surprising if Square wants to appeal to that audience.
Eh. DS3 sold really well, but that alone doesn't elevate the Souls series above Final Fantasy in any meaningful way.
That being said, I would really like to see a mashup of those two series.

Souls-inspired, but it's not exactly what you'd imagine

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Navtra debunked the Warriors/Ivalice rumours yet hasn't said it's not a souls like despite posting multiple times since then. It's happening.

It's tricky. It's certainly Souls-inspired, but it's not exactly what you'd imagine when you hear "Souls-like FF".

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I'd want a FFVI Remake to be more like FFIV DS except with higher production values more fitting modern platforms. That would actually be doable in a single game. I don't really want a FFVII Remake like multigame treatment for VI.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It's tricky. It's certainly Souls-inspired, but it's not exactly what you'd imagine when you hear "Souls-like FF".
So the story is being told via loading screens but the gameplay is that of a match 4 type mobile game. Gotcha!
Non-SSD console versions will be the definitive experience!

/s

Seriously, though. This is getting very interesting...

7th_heaven

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Honestly I get where you're coming from because I'll say "Switch has no JRPG's"

and they'll be like

Octopath
#FE whateverthehell
Pokemon
Monster Hunter

and I'll be like "yeah not that"

Or me saying "I feel like there's not many JRPG's on PS4" and people will be like

Trails
Atelier
some other series with an anime art style I don't like

and I'll be like "yeah not that"

And if it's not a high budget game I want the game to feel like it's super ambitious to like kind of make up for it if that makes sense

But I don't want indies, and I want at least a decent budget, no dating sim elements, no trashy art style

so I guess I'm picky

I mean... the cutscene direction in XV is not comparable to the cutscene direction in VIIR

not all FF's or SE games have good cutscene direction (unfortunately)
Yeah it the first time I played a FF game had great cutscene almost like a good TV series.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh

Huh...Soulslike but not what you'd imagine it would be? In my head I'm picturing basically a straight up Soulslike but with a FF coat of paint. I'm trying to think what it could be that makes it not as simple as that.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Both Nioh and Fallen Order have pretty big differences to Souls games so not surprised.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Well, there it is. Very curious! Don't know what to expect.

I was going to say maybe a bigger focus on the story and cast (and a established MC) and all of that, but there's been games within this sub-genre dealing with a less ethereal narrative approach compared to From and a more traditional one.

So I really don't know.
I would imagine an aspect to this deals with a more streamlined difficulty. Something more standard to the FF playerbase.
Honestly, a more accessible/less punishing game is exactly the first thing that crosses my mind if I read Souls-like FF title (even if we were to assume Team Ninja, of all companies, are the devs). Similar to what Jedi did tbh (a popular IP adapting the formula).

benzy

Oct 25, 2017

Any ninja gaiden-like in it? 🤔

Team Ninja literally just wrapped up Nioh 2 so it seems unlikely they'd have a demo ready to play that soon. Nioh 2 was released 3 years after Nioh 1 (with their first demo, the Nioh 1 alpha, being 10 months before the full game came out), and Nioh 2 already re-used a lot of assets from Nioh 1 too, but now suddenly they have another big project ready to go with the Final Fantasy IP attached with entirely new assets, demo-ready barely a year after their last game came out?

I dunno, seems like a stretch. I wonder if the dev is Koei Tecmo but not Team Ninja, or TN just partially contributes like they did with a bunch of other games. Team Ninja doing the combat would excite me, but anyone else... nahhh

I do know teams can work on multiple projects, and maybe Team Ninja is bigger than I thought, so I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong.

There's 200 people at Team Ninja.

Not sure how many were needed to make a game like Nioh though.

Rbz

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
So if it isn't Ivalice, then a familiar setting has to be a spin-off from one of the numbered titles, right? I can't think of any other persistent FF setting outside of Ivalice and numbered titles.

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Can't complain as I have FFVIIr, FFXVI and that potential new DQ game to look for.

So if it's a Soul like game, it's gonna be a no buy from me but good for those who are into that.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
So if it isn't Ivalice, then a familiar setting has to be a spin-off from one of the numbered titles, right? I can't think of any other persistent FF setting outside of Ivalice and numbered titles.
I think an established setting just means any of the FF worlds, not something that has persisted across games

Status
Not open for further replies.