• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
www.eurogamer.net

PS5 faceplate company is forced to cancel orders following a complaint from Sony

A company selling custom PS5 faceplates has been forced to cancel pre-orders and remove its products following legal ac…

A company selling custom PS5 faceplates has been forced to cancel pre-orders and remove its products following legal action from Sony.

Article Continues Below
As reported by our friends at VGC, "PlateStation5.com" had already been required to rebrand following a complaint from Sony that accused the company name's of infringing its trademark.

Now, however, the complaint has gone further, with Sony's lawyers telling the firm that Sony's intellectual property "extended to the faceplates", and that if the company continued to sell and distribute them in any country, it "would end up in court".

"Before we launched, we did our due diligence and were of the opinion, that because Sony only had pending patents on the faceplates there would be no problem," newly rebranded CustomizeMyPlates told VGC via e-mail.

"But after only a day of our website being live, Sony's lawyers asked us to change our name (at the time PlateStation5), due to trademark infringements. We thought this switch would be enough to keep everyone happy, and honestly were hoping so since we were already underway with our product development.

Article Continues Below
"But then Sony's lawyers told us it was their opinion, Sony's intellectual property extended to the faceplates, and that if we continued to sell and distribute them in any country, we would end up in court," the email continued. "This all came to light yesterday and we are now cancelling and refunding all faceplate orders worldwide... we are extremely disappointed about this but we have no other option."

All existing preorders have now had to be cancelled, with the firm saying it is now "wiser" on trademark laws.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Sony can't be losing any money here. They gotta hit you for that $500 console, $70 game, $70 controller, $60 online subscription and the NEW customizable faceplates you can only buy from them for another $50! But don't worry, they're "for the players" /s

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Sony can't be losing any money here. They gotta hit you for that $500 console, $70 game, $70 controller, $60 online subscription and the NEW customizable faceplates you can only buy from them for another $50! But don't worry, they're "for the players" /s

goddamn it... didn't see the /s

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
"Before we launched, we did our due diligence and were of the opinion, that because Sony only had pending patents on the faceplates there would be no problem," newly rebranded CustomizeMyPlates told VGC via e-mail.
I'd love to hear more about this legal theory.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Maybe it would have been better for Sony to work out a licensing deal with them, there are going to be millions of faceplate designs on Ebay etc soon and Sony won't be able to stop them.

Turbocharge

Sep 28, 2020
Two options here, I think.

Either Sony are planning on selling their own replacement shells and this would be in direct competition with them, ooooor...

Sony can't guarantee that someone won't.make a shell that somehow impedes airflow, preventing the system from being cooled properly and doesn't want to deal with the claims in relation to that.

Or bonus third option, lawyers gonna lawyer.

Oct 27, 2017
This is me just guessing but maybe there is some issue that we don't know about custom plates?

It is probably not that and Sony doing this for some weird shit.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Not sure how face plates are considered intellectual property.
We're likely talking design patents here, which allow you to protect the ornamental/aesthetic appearance of something.

In contrast, utility patents allow you to protect, well, the utility of something - an inventive machine, a manufacturing process, a computer-implemented method, etc.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017

Either Sony are planning on selling their own replacement shells and this would be in direct competition with them, ooooor...

Sony can't guarantee that someone won't.make a shell that somehow impedes airflow, preventing the system from being cooled properly and doesn't want to deal with the claims in relation to that.

with Liksang in the past it's probably just Sony being Sony

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
when you are more litigious than Nintendo, you got some fucking soul searching to do

Inside

Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Not sure how face plates are considered intellectual property.

When you design them 1 to 1 like the original and your name almost sound like playstation i see the issue.

Phone covers are actual covers which by itself does not look like the backside of the phone. They are a total unique design changing the look of the phone.

If they had designed their own faceplate with their own cooling flow etc to make sure it live up to the standard i would see no issue

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Console warring
So only Sony wants to be the one to squeeze their consumers for more money with officially licensed crap.

It is crazy how far away they are moving from being consumer friendly versus how their competition is handling things.

Not at all surprising when their diehard fans will fall all over themselves to make excuses for them.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This is some bullshit from Sony, unless they were putting the PS or Sony logo on these things

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it different since it's part of the console?
companies can sell car kits that change the look of the car. doubt they are having to sign agreements to make them. unless sony was threatening to sue if they created molds using sony's faceplates and the company had to shut down because that was their plan.

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
No way Sony only charge £50 for those FYI.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

Probably the former, also prevents companies just copying special edition panels/consoles and the like. I do wonder how long they'll try and keep control over selling them though, feels like that's a losing battle long term for not that much.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
When you design them 1 to 1 like the original and your name almost sound like playstation i see the issue.

Phone covers are actual covers which by itself does not look like the backside of the phone. They are a total unique design changing the look of the phone.

If they had designed their own faceplate with their own cooling flow etc to make sure it live up to the standard i would see no issue
This. Surprised more people didn't see this coming. Sony doesn't want every mom and pop online store selling things that haven't been tested, which could lead to cooling/warranty issues. Those things would cost Sony money. Besides, I'm sure they want the market all to themselves. They're likely taking their cues from Apple.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
This reminds me of Sony vs Bleem. Just like here, Sony wasn't in the right. And just like then, they've used their power as a giant corporation to shut down a way smaller business. The only difference is that in this case they aren't even trying to fight back, while Bleem did and won but ultimately went bankrupt.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf Sony. Let them sell some faceplates. Making record profits aren't enough to let other people make a little bit of money?
You already put Lik-Sang out of business, no need to do that again with another company.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
AliExpress will sell "console plates", calling your website platestation 5 was asking for trouble.

DigitalTravis

Oct 28, 2017

Let's hope if the latter is true someone doesn't design a car part that makes it go faster without the original manufacture's input or blessing.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Sony legal is probably foreseeing the custom plates affecting the cooling system I bet and are trying to avoid any liability. I'm not saying it would but that's probably the excuse I would pull out of my ass if I were Sony lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
Would Nintendo even do this?

My case is something like this one, so no.

61qFYGdyopL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Probably an indication that Sony is going to sell these themselves.

As long as you don't ascribe any PS logos or indications, how exactly can Sony go against the form factor itself though?

AliExpress will sell "console plates", calling your website platestation 5 was asking for trouble.
Yeah, that was very dumb.

WishIwasAwolf

Banned
Oct 24, 2020
If they use their own design then there is no problem . So if they have a square shape with hard edges or something.