• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will PS5 surpass Nintendo Switch as the fastest selling console in major markets?

• Yes

Votes: 553 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 899 61.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People want to see what it looks like. I wouldn't say it's an indication of it being a popular design, it's very much talked about right now.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
In general, most of the big trailers in the conference are above 1M, Spider-Man is close to 4M by now, it's doing crazy numbers.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is one sexy beast.

Love how they incorporated the V shape into the design.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Additional info about Instagram metrics

Top 10 most liked Gaming Instagram post :
  1. 5.359m - PlayStation - PS5 logo reveal
  2. 4.684m - PlayStation - PS5's DualSense reveal
  3. 4.067m - PlayStation - PS5 first look (design reveal)
  4. 2.676m - Fortnite - Avengers Endgame (Captain America)
  5. 2.540m - Fortnite - 3 days to Season 6
  6. 2.488m - PlayStation - PS5 event (June 11th) announcement
  7. 2.537m - Fortnite - 4 days to Season X
  8. 2.351m - Fortnite - 1 day to Season X
  9. 2.248m - Fortnite - Avengers Endgame Trailer
  10. 2.243m - Fortnite - 1 day to Season 6

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
It's the best hardware reveal of all time.

The music, the pure white background. It's so fucking professional. Showing all around the console. I love it.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen. I may still get one down the road, but I'd honestly be embarrassed to have this in my entertainment area.

(You don't have to quote this post and tell me you like the design. It's cool that you do and I'm happy for you.)

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Most of the big tech youtubers were gushing over it . Its different and many like different and futuristic

STech

Sep 24, 2018
It's a pretty good design. Really futuristic.

Old gamers are used to boring shoe boxes, but this is 2020

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still think it's one of the ugliest designs I've ever seen. I may still get one down the road, but I'd honestly be embarrassed to have this in my entertainment area.

(You don't have to quote this post and tell me you like the design. It's cool that you do and I'm happy for you.)

It's a bit silly to not get one because of the design though - unless you don't care for the exclusives I suppose.

Deleted member 32135

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's a pretty good design. Really futuristic.

Old gamers are used to boring shoe boxes, but this is 2020

Pretty futuristic if this was 1990s.

Also, let me doubt as an industrial designer how a design can be pretty good when you need a fucking support for something as basic as placing your product horizontally.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit silly to not get one because of the design though - unless you don't care for the exclusives I suppose.

I don't think they have much for launch so I dont feel like waiting is going to be a big loss. May wait for the inevitable redesigned version, because yeesh, the more I look at this the more confused I get.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is one sexy beast.

Love how they incorporated the V shape into the design.
Hi I'm PS5 and I am a beast
s-l400.jpg

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I must say, the visuals, music and production were all on point. Hilarious comparing the slickness of this entire show to the weird PowerPoint like no frills look of the Mark Cerny Road to PS5 presentation.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
Pretty futuristic if this was 1990s.

Also, let me doubt as an industrial designer how a design can be pretty good when you need a fucking support for something as basic as placing your product horizontally.

Yeah, like all those 80's style clothes from today...

Things changes and some times take some old ideas and adapt it to the new context.

All those shoe boxes are sooooooo boring

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
My PC tower is a Fractal black/white so this fits so perfectly next to it.

Last edited:

remanutd

Oct 29, 2017
New York
Additional info about Instagram metrics

Top 10 most liked Gaming Instagram post :
  1. 5.359m - PlayStation - PS5 logo reveal
  2. 4.684m - PlayStation - PS5's DualSense reveal
  3. 4.067m - PlayStation - PS5 first look (design reveal)
  4. 2.676m - Fortnite - Avengers Endgame (Captain America)
  5. 2.540m - Fortnite - 3 days to Season 6
  6. 2.488m - PlayStation - PS5 event (June 11th) announcement
  7. 2.537m - Fortnite - 4 days to Season X
  8. 2.351m - Fortnite - 1 day to Season X
  9. 2.248m - Fortnite - Avengers Endgame Trailer
  10. 2.243m - Fortnite - 1 day to Season 6
Sony is in serious trouble, they are doomed!!! lol

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa!

was not expecting that big of a number such a short period.

edit:
The event is at 11 million already, massive

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
My jaw dropped when I saw the design, I really dig it. A white PlayStation for a change too (at launch anyway).

The reveal video is really good too, they really hit it out of the park with this one.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's grown on me, I like the PlayStation 5 design now. It looks futuristic.

Any industrial designer can tell you that a lot of times, people say a new design is "ugly" when they really mean "it's different" or "it's unfamiliar." There are tons of designs that are now well-regarded and even beloved that were initially derided, just because they were too different or shocking.

I'm not saying this is necessarily going to be a beloved design or whatever but I'm not surprised at all to see a growing chorus of "it's growing on me" posts. By the time November rolls around, I think a lot more people will be used to it.

Sony could have made another black box, but they decided to do something a little different, and I think it mostly paid off.

oni_gank

Banned
May 13, 2019
The PlayStation YouTube channel is currently sits at 10.7 mil subscribers, compare to its competitors' channels: XBOX (3.7 mil) and Nintendo (6.7 mil)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any industrial designer can tell you that a lot of times, people say a new design is "ugly" when they really mean "it's different" or "it's unfamiliar." There are tons of designs that are now well-regarded and even beloved that were initially derided, just because they were too different or shocking.

I'm not saying this is necessarily going to be a beloved design or whatever but I'm not surprised at all to see a growing chorus of "it's growing on me" posts. By the time November rolls around, I think a lot more people will be used to it.

Yup.

The same thing happened with the DualSense.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Like it or hate it, PS5 design is pretty great branding: it's distinctive and instantly recognizable. That's something Sony has done since the PS2, really.

Also, I'm pretty sure in a few years we'll get a Slim refresh that will look super utilitarian :D

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
1. People viewing this because they want to see how ugly it is.

2. Spider-Man has that many views because people think it's Spider-Man 2.

3. Views mean nothing. Console still looks ugly as sin.

4. Once the hype dies down they will get smoked by Xbox.

Did I get most of the criticisms right under the veil of passive aggressive comments?