• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
twinfinite.net

PS5 Has Shipped 21.7 Million Units as of June 2022 as PlayStation's Profit Drops 37% Year-on-Year

Sony announced its financial results for the first quarter of the fiscal year 2022, including an update on PS5 and PS4 shipments.
Today Sony announced its financial results for the first quarter of the fiscal year 2022, related to the period between April 1 and June 30, 2022, including an update on PS5 and PS4 shipments.

2.4 million PS5 units were purchased by retailers worldwide during the latest quarter (between January and March), which means that as of June 30, 2022, the console has shipped 21.7 million units in its lifetime.

As of this quarter, Sony has stopped reporting PS4 unit sales, which means that those remain at the 117 million figure disclosed in May.
Sony-1.jpg

Raigor

May 14, 2020
COVID growth is now over for all companies.

They will stabilize for a bit but i guess the recession will hit a little bit by the end of the year.

Oct 27, 2017
I believe the sheet says "-30,5%" for the profits. Really slow quarter indeed, the physical sales are almost agonizing, and look at that 79% digital ratio. No bump from PS+ Extra/Premium either right now, but it's early days.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing a big factor for profits was PSVR2 production ramp up and maybe increased PS5 console production (that Sony promised for end of year) that hasn't started getting shipped out yet.

Vonterribad

Jul 17, 2022
Seems like a tapering out after covid. Also feels like hardware restraints will never be over at this point....

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Huh, that's a bigger drop than I expected. Ah well. They'll be fine.

We'll see how this goes.

EPLirish

Jan 20, 2022
Most of PS5 shipment were out in June, they have sold 1.7m in June. 700K in April and May.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Huh, that's a bigger drop than I expected. Ah well. They'll be fine.

We'll see how this goes.

Revenue is down only 2% so the loss of profit is through other things such as PSVR 2 development, currency differences, and things of that nature. The fact that PlayStation is only 2% down in revenue with console shortages happening is very very good and suggests they will start beating last year soon.

They are doing far more than fine :p

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
If Revenue is the same and Profit is down that just means they're investing into something. Increased game development costs. I think (?) they would say if something gotten written off, so I'll just take it as a good sign that they put a lot into a few something's.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
If Revenue is the same and Profit is down that just means they're investing into something. Increased game development costs. I think (?) they would say if something gotten written off, so I'll just take it as a good sign that they put a lot into a few something's.

PSVR 2, software, the smaller chipset for the ps5, I imagine it will be things like that.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Revenue is down only 2% so the loss of profit is through other things such as PSVR 2 development, currency differences, and things of that nature. The fact that PlayStation is only 2% down in revenue with console shortages happening is very very good and suggests they will start beating last year soon.

Spicy title doing work then :)

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
14 million more sales in hardware and hardware is a significantly lower profit percentage compared to the revenue it brings in. They did get almost 5 million more sales for network and network is usually huge profits. But with the new launch of PS+, they probably redid a lot of the games deals and that would have also cut into profits.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I know Bungie financials will get rolled in. But the actual acquisition shouldn't show up here, right? Where would they cover expenditures like that in their statements?

Haha yea, I think it's fair to say that they're investing their money in things for the future. And in some ways, it looks like gaming and network segment is doing better this quarter/FY year on year in terms of revenue, no? But, I mean, it's not like they didn't have console shortages or weren't investing in PSVR2 this time last year too haha. You're probably right that those sorts of factors are more salient, for sure, with things like preparing for production of PSVR2.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The report states the following 3 reasons for the decline in profit: lower 3rd party software sales (including add-ons), lower 1st party sales, increase in costs which is mainly software development at existing studios.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
14 million more sales in hardware and hardware is a significantly lower profit percentage compared to the revenue it brings in. They did get almost 5 million more sales for network and network is usually huge profits. But with the new launch of PS+, they probably redid a lot of the games deals and that would have also cut into profits.
Yea, this is what I'm actually interested in. How much are they investing in the background for PS+ that users don't see/appreciate and how much does that cost. We see things like PS+ titles not getting upgrades alongside PS4/PS5 games like for Edith Finch. To me, that suggests something legal or on the backend - things that Sony would undoubtedly want to fix moving forward with the new PS+.

Other than that, I'm super curious how much they're investing in PS+ content deals in general now. Surely, it's a lot [more than what they were spending for PS+ and PSNow]. I'm not sure where that should show up in this statement, though?

The report states the following 3 reasons for the decline in profit: lower 3rd party software sales (including add-ons), lower 1st party sales, increase in costs which is mainly software development at existing studios.
I would assume, with no information, that games are getting delayed like crazy internally. They have to be, cuz they are everywhere else - and the types of big AAA games that Sony tends toward seem particularly susceptible.

Oct 27, 2017
Something to note : for the whole fiscal year, PlayStation expects a whooping 27,2 billion dollars sales, which I believe is a new record to behold among pretty much any video game company except Tencent Games in 2021.

The profits will be lower though, due to Bungie acquisition, slowest sales from third party games and negative impact of foreign exchange rate.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Something to note : for the whole fiscal year, PlayStation expects a whooping 27,2 billion dollars sales, which I believe is a new record to behold among pretty much any video game company except Tencent Games in 2021.

The profits will be lower though, due to Bungie acquisition, slowest sales from third party games and negative impact of foreign exchange rate.

Yeah that's what I was saying, PlayStation are killing it. The drop in profits makes it look more negative than it actually is. Revenue shows growth or lack thereof, profits does not.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The CFO has stated alongside these earnings that there is no change in their 18M PS5s by end of FY22 forecast which will bump them to 37.3M PS5s total by end of FY22. Gonna be interesting to see if they can pull it off with both sustained demand and production.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Why are digital sales sad? Nobody gets sad about Valve, which is 100% digital.
Well you still have the option to buy physical media, because PC are customizable and if a PC you bought doesn't have a disc drive you simply buy one and put it inside your PC. The fear is that once digital takes over (say 80-90%) Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft could stop producing consoles with a disc drive altogether. You won't be able to just go and buy a disc drive either as consoles are closed devices.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
It's sad because physical is often much cheaper and goes on sale much faster. I've seen 20-30€ differences for the same game. This is less of an issue on PC as there's just more stores to buy keys from.

For a lot of people, convenience outweighs cost. Me included. I'm not walking to the store for $20 less :p

Nov 8, 2017
nah, i still think there'll be one more gen with discs at least.

but what will happen is that the ratios will be reversed. PS6 disc is going to have the production unit numbers PS5 digital gets now.

Or it'll be an external add-on produced in limited quantities that costs $149 and comes with the DVD/blu ray licence for the small number of people who want that.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well you still have the option to buy physical media, because PC are customizable and if a PC you bought doesn't have a disc drive you simply buy one and put it inside your PC. The fear is that once digital takes over (say 80-90%) Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft could stop producing consoles with a disc drive altogether. You won't be able to just go and buy a disc drive either as consoles are closed devices.

While I get your point, please tell me which PC software releases on a disc these days

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The CFO has stated alongside these earnings that there is no change in their 18M PS5s by end of FY22 forecast which will bump them to 37.3M PS5s total by end of FY22. Gonna be interesting to see if they can pull it off with both sustained demand and production.

Um....isn't that alot for a $399/$499 console?? O_o 37mill in 2 years? In this current climate?

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For a lot of people, convenience outweighs cost. Me included. I'm not walking to the store for $20 less :p

For many that extra saving means they can afford it, the lack of physical will mean less (no) competition and the likes of Sony can increase prices without any real way to combat it from a consumer point of view, we've already seen prices increase this generation and clearly with the cost of game development eating away at profits for these companies there's every chance we see further increases at some point.

PC gaming is different because of the amount of stores out there providing keys competing with each other, to have the same market governments would need to step in and force Sony to provide keys to third party sellers.

Jaytra

Sep 29, 2021
It's incredibly sad.

Guess PS6 will truly be digital only.
I doubt it would be digital only but I won't be surprised if the digital SKU becomes the main one.

I'm surprised its already at 80% but I guess the pandemic and subscription services really accelerated the adoption of digital.

In the future, physical will more likely become an enthusiast/hobby segment much like the music industry.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Almost 40% drop? crazy.
Do not forget they have made major investments in game studios, expanding existing studios, hardware production ramping up, and development for unreleased hardware this year. Revenue did not drop by much which means sales are strong, a profit drop like this means they are spending on something.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Why are digital sales sad? Nobody gets sad about Valve, which is 100% digital.

Some countries have hefty digital taxes too, like the one I live in. Games are way more expensive on PSN than it is physical. Also, and this is anecdotally, I rely on reselling games to fund future purchases too.

That said, I still don't see Physical games going away in the near future. That's still a big chunk of the playerbase.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
What's the ratio for number of physical and digital releases though? I imagine there are a lot more smaller digital titles being released than AA/AAA titles that are coming out on disc.
Sure, but I suppose the volume of sold copies for those games is minuscule in comparison to the big AAA games, which are the ones I guess are moving that needle.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
While I get your point, please tell me which PC software releases on a disc these days
That's a good shout and I didn't thought about that. What you said is another reason why digital taking over with a unhealthy percentage so to speak is bad for players choice. Game companies just won't care about producing discs anymore.
Some countries have hefty digital taxes too, like the one I live in. Games are way more expensive on PSN than it is physical. Also, and this is anecdotally, I rely on reselling games to fund future purchases too.

That said, I still don't see Physical games going away in the near future. That's still a big chunk of the playerbase.
I am curious in what country do you live?