• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Im sorry in advance to make a new thread but i tried getting an answer on the ps5 topic multiple times with no answer , i hope you guys dont mind but im a little desperate cause i think my ps5 may have a problem.

So i have a 500/100 mgb connection at home, when i run my tests at ps4 it always gives me almost 500 download and 40 upload, and they are always fast tests.

I installed my ps5 yesterday and the tests are always too slow, usually giving me download speed fast and then taking like 30 seconds to give me the upload speed.

The results are always 500 mgb download, but the upload is always below 10 in the multiple tests ive done with the console.

Is there anything i can do? Is it a console problem?

Kinda sad cause i alwaus tought i would have a better connection on ps5 and not the other way around.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It's holiday season, so there might be the issue. So far, PS5 gives me full speed, I have had great experiences with that so far unlike PS4, which gave me a third or half of my 500mb/s.

Feb 29, 2020
OP, the test is very very wrong here too! But when it actually download the games, it's really fast! I tried both wireless and wired.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I got my PS5 on launch, and it really isn't as fast as I was expecting based on the reports from others. I have a wired internet connection that is supposed to be 1 Gbps. I get 750-800 Mbps on my Apple TV and all other devices outside PS5 and PS4. Anyway, I get like 65-75 Mbps on my PS5 and before someone says the connection test isn't accurate; when I do download a game I get about 10 MB/s which shows the 65-75 Mbps I get on connection test is pretty accurate.

if I got the speeds on my PS5 that I get on my Apple TV, I should be seeing 80-90 MB/s on downloads. I'm not anywhere close, down a factor of 10.

Last edited:

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
You may experience somewhat slower or delayed game downloads because we're working with ISPs to manage download traffic. We believe it's important to do our part to address internet stability concerns as an unprecedented number of people are staying home and practicing social distancing. We appreciate the support and understanding from our community.

PlayStation Network Status

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I have a 200mb/s line, 200 download, 100mb upload. Different times of day, I get different results, some time upload takes longer than others. Someone told me the PS5 test downloads 500MB, then uploads 500MB, while the PS4 test downloads 100MB and uploads 100MB. So the test actually does a better, more accurate test for stability and accomodates for line noise etc better. Not sure if any of that is true.

Generally I get 192-196MB download and upload varies more so (68MB-98MB upload)

Sometimes, like on Christmas Day, it was a lot worse (178MB download- 68MB upload) so ISP traffic is definitely a thing.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I have a 200mb/s line, 200 download, 100mb upload. Different times of day, I get different results, some time upload takes longer than others. Someone told me the PS5 test downloads 500MB, then uploads 500MB, while the PS4 test downloads 100MB and uploads 100MB. So the test actually does a better, more accurate test for stability and accomodates for line noise etc better. Not sure if any of that is true.

Generally I get 192-196MB download and upload varies more so (68MB-98MB upload)

Sometimes, like on Christmas Day, it was a lot worse (178MB download- 68MB upload) so ISP traffic is definitely a thing.

I mean getting 178 on a 200 connection is pretty great. I pay for a 1000 connection and only get about 750-800 on a majority of my devices. I don't mind that because 1000 is absurdly fast, except with my PS5. Anyway I have never gotten a result higher than 100 on my PS5 since launch with it consistently sitting at 65-75. It's better than my PS4 but barely.

OP
OP

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
You may experience somewhat slower or delayed game downloads because we're working with ISPs to manage download traffic. We believe it's important to do our part to address internet stability concerns as an unprecedented number of people are staying home and practicing social distancing. We appreciate the support and understanding from our community.

PlayStation Network Status

I know that my friend, the problem is i get better results on my ps5.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is this all just based on the speed test or are the game downloads much slower on your PS5?

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The download speed is the same as it was on my ps4, my worries ate about the upload cause the download speed is good, only the upload is way too low.
Are you worried about multiplayer or just that the number is lower on PS5 than PS4? Because you should be perfectly fine with that 10Mbps.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I know that my friend, the problem is i get better results on my ps5.
I'm on 1gig up down fiber my PSN upload is always low compared to my Xbox's. And all my systems are wired full gigabit network.

try turning off QOS on your router fast connections on a good network don't really need it.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
I mean getting 178 on a 200 connection is pretty great. I pay for a 1000 connection and only get about 750-800 on a majority of my devices. I don't mind that because 1000 is absurdly fast, except with my PS5. Anyway I have never gotten a result higher than 100 on my PS5 since launch with it consistently sitting at 65-75. It's better than my PS4 but barely.
Is this with your PS5 on DMZ and static IP? I always had issues on PS4 until I set up a static IP+have my router set that IP to DMZ.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
The speeds of everything (downloading and uploading) are much slower on my PS5 than my PS4 Pro and I don't understand why. I have the same exact setup and have a wired connection. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing less than optimal speeds with the PS5.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find on Xbox you sometimes have to change DMZ on your modem and make sure IP srttings match on the console due to NAT settings. Could be something similar on the PS5?

SnoopZ

Jul 30, 2019
I can't help with your problem I am afraid but I used to get around 90mbit down and 5mbit up on my PS4 Pro but since getting the PS5 I can max out with 220 down and 20 up with WiFi!

Have you tried of WiFi?

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020
nothing set as static, but I'll mess around with the router settings later tonight to see if I can improve anything. I'll take a look at DMZ
DMZ is key I feel. No need for port forwarding with DMZ. Manually set your PS5 to a certain IP, go into your router, look for DMZ and set your PS5 as the DMZ IP. It will get preference from the router after that. Also try the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 for primary) (8.8.4.4 for secondary)

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I get maybe 300/50 on that test and I have a 500/500 fiber connection.
When downloading games/patches I almost always get 50 MB/s

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
DMZ is key I feel. No need for port forwarding with DMZ. Manually set your PS5 to a certain IP, go into your router, look for DMZ and set your PS5 as the DMZ IP. It will get preference from the router after that. Also try the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 for primary) (8.8.4.4 for secondary)
You shouldn't have to DMZ anything. Also if you want best DNS setup I've found run cloud flare primary DNS and Google as backup secondary DNS. If one goes down the other kicks in.

I mean look at this series X PS5 and PS4 pro all same room. Wired on my gigabit network.

Last edited:

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe cuz the holidays etc but I hv 200 Mb/down and I hv no problem with downloading games and I have the digital version only. It's a lot faster than what PS4 Pro used to be

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
I've got the same problem. I have a 400/400 FIOS plan and am getting speedtests >400MB/s on my other devices. But on the PS5 I'm getting 400+MB/s download speeds but 10-15MB/s upload. This is a static wired connection, UPnP turned off but ports forward according to this:

portforward.com

How to Forward Ports in Your Router for PlayStation 4

How to Port Forward a PlayStation 4

It's weird because on Christmas I hooked it up via wifi and was getting 200+MB/s download but the same 10-15MB/s upload speed. I thought maybe it was a problem with wifi so I hooked it up via ethernet and am getting basically the same upload speed problem. I'm getting NAT Type 2.

You shouldn't have to DMZ anything. Also if you want best DNS setup I've found run cloud flare primary DNS and Google as backup secondary DNS. If one goes down the other kicks in.

I mean look at this series X PS5 and PS4 pro all same room. Wired on my gigabit network.

Wow, that's crazy there's such a discrepancy between consoles, all on the same network. That the PS4 and PS5 are equally bad on the upload speeds is telling it's something on their side that needs fixing.

SirDante

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 20, 2020

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The speeds of everything (downloading and uploading) are much slower on my PS5 than my PS4 Pro and I don't understand why.
Mine's the exact opposite in fact. PS5 is noticeably faster across the board on downloads (I'm not uploading anything, so I can't test that). Same internet plan, 400Mb/s down. I just downloaded Ghost of Tsushima in 14 minutes.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Mostly multiplayer but of course i cant also help to think why i only that value on ps5 when in ps4 is much higher.
This literally doesn't matter.
Why do you need fast upload speeds to some random speed test server?
Games don't use tens of megabits per second for multiplayer.
You don't stream a video the game servers.

Latency is more important and that's not going to be to this speed test server.

OP
OP

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
This literally doesn't matter.
Why do you need fast upload speeds to some random speed test server?
Games don't use tens of megabits per second for multiplayer.
You don't stream a video the game servers.

Latency is more important and that's not going to be to this speed test server.
It matters to me not because if i need those values or not but to know if i have ps5 with defect since it cant detect more than 10 mbgb and if i plug my ps4 it can detect 3 or 4 times more values, why is this happening in the first place?

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Highest I've seen my PS5 download was 80MB/s. Most of the time I'm seeing 50-60MB/s which is still amazing compared to the turd that is the PS4.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Im sorry in advance to make a new thread but i tried getting an answer on the ps5 topic multiple times with no answer , i hope you guys dont mind but im a little desperate cause i think my ps5 may have a problem.

So i have a 500/100 mgb connection at home, when i run my tests at ps4 it always gives me almost 500 download and 40 upload, and they are always fast tests.

I installed my ps5 yesterday and the tests are always too slow, usually giving me download speed fast and then taking like 30 seconds to give me the upload speed.

The results are always 500 mgb download, but the upload is always below 10 in the multiple tests ive done with the console.

Kinda sad cause i alwaus tought i would have a better connection on ps5 and not the other way around.
Just out of curiosity what kind of cable are you using? Have you tried different ones?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Started up my ps5 on Thursday and was very happy. It downloads even faster than my ps4pro. Can't knock that🤷🏽‍♂️

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
That may be so, but if you have issues, DMZ will solve them

Just enabled it, but still only seeing 80-100 Mbps. I've always just had bad luck with Sony's devices. Was really hoping I could actually resolve this, but port forwarding, DMZ, turning QoS on and off. None of it works or changes the speeds. At this point, I just think the quality control of the network adapters must be all over the place as I see some people getting fantastic speeds and others stuck with much lower speeds than they should be seeing.

For all I know maybe my Asus router just doesn't play nice with Sony.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Just enabled it, but still only seeing 80-100 Mbps. I've always just had bad luck with Sony's devices. Was really hoping I could actually resolve this, but port forwarding, DMZ, turning QoS on and off. None of it works or changes the speeds. At this point, I just think the quality control of the network adapters must be all over the place as I see some people getting fantastic speeds and others stuck with much lower speeds than they should be seeing.

For all I know maybe my Asus router just doesn't play nice with Sony.
You saw my post with my results on gig fiber it isn't anything you are doing or your setup. Where are you located roughly? PS5 on a full gigabit network on 1gb up down fiber.
2yzQGJk.jpg

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
You saw my post with my results on gig fiber it isn't anything you are doing or your setup. Where are you located roughly?

Located as in living? Massachusetts. Yeah, I saw your results, it looks like you are at least getting 700+ on your Ps5, though, right? Looks like your Ps4 saw 250+, but that's still pretty good considering how bad the network adapter was in the PS4. I would be happy with anything in the 400-500 range, to be honest, at this point. I also have a gig connection for download speeds, but for whatever reason, most of my devices max out at 750-800. That I can blame Comcast for, but seeing download speeds in the 80-100 range just seems unacceptable when everything else gets ~750-800ish.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Located as in living? Massachusetts. Yeah, I saw your results, it looks like you are at least getting 700+ on your Ps5, though, right? Looks like your Ps4 saw 250+, but that's still pretty good considering how bad the network adapter was in the PS4. I would be happy with anything in the 400-500 range, to be honest, at this point. I also have a gig connection for download speeds, but for whatever reason, most of my devices max out at 750-800. That I can blame Comcast for, but seeing download speeds in the 80-100 range just seems unacceptable when everything else gets ~750-800ish.
Comcast throttles traffic no matter what they say . It's why I ditched them as soon as we got options in Illinois where I'm located

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

It might default to 10mb. Do you remember changing it for your PS4?

With your router, maybe you have to change the limit of upload bandwidth for your PS5? Should be in your router settings.

It might default to 10mb for uploads. Do you remember changing that setting for your PS4?

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
That 700 was on my PS4 pro look above that's my PS5

I feel like you might have images mixed up, because that image with the 250+ Mbps connection is not the PS5 interface. The PS5 interface is more spaced out and has borders beneath every row of information, which can be seen in your image where it showed 750+ speeds.

Regardless, I would probably be happy even with 250+

4TkQX46.jpg

^^^ This is the PS5 interface. I'm staring at my own right now, and it matches 1:1.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
I feel like you might have images mixed up, because that image with the 250+ Mbps connection is not the PS5 interface. The PS5 interface is more spaced out and has borders beneath every row of information, which can be seen in your image where it showed 750+ speeds.

Regardless, I would probably be happy even with 250+

4TkQX46.jpg

^^^ This is the PS5 interface. I'm staring at my own right now, and it matches 1:1.
I corrected my post. Had like 10 tabs open in my phone just mixed up what I was looking at

It's the upload that bothers me the most about PSN Xbox is always fast AF.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
With your router, maybe you have to change the limit of upload bandwidth for your PS5? Should be in your router settings.

It might default to 10mb for uploads. Do you remember changing that setting for your PS4?
If you disable QOS it will remove that limit from the issue. With 500+ connection it's not needed

when I did those tests I had 32 active device on my network too.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
I corrected my post. Had like 10 tabs open in my phone just mixed up what I was looking at

It's the upload that bothers me the most about PSN Xbox is always fast AF.

Yes, it is annoying to see upload speeds that low. It really seems like it is on Sony's end, which is unfortunate. I saw a lot of people talking about faster download speeds on the PS5, so I though they fixed the issue/took it more seriously, but it's all the same. It's a hair faster, but nothing to write home about, but it seems like some are luckier than others when it comes to this. At this point, it's either throttling or poor quality control of the network adapters. Maybe a mix of both.

Maybe I'll find a way to connect direct to my modem to see if it is the router causing issues/not playing nice. I really doubt it, though.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Fast download speeds on the PS5 are a blessing for me. Downloading games on it is so much faster than on the PS4 and I never had a particular issue with my PS4 speeds, it's just noticeably better on the PS5

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Yes, it is annoying to see upload speeds that low. It really seems like it is on Sony's end, which is unfortunate. I saw a lot of people talking about faster download speeds on the PS5, so I though they fixed the issue/took it more seriously, but it's all the same. It's a hair faster, but nothing to write home about, but it seems like some are luckier than others when it comes to this. At this point, it's either throttling or poor quality control of the network adapters. Maybe a mix of both.

Maybe I'll find a way to connect direct to my modem to see if it is the router causing issues/not playing nice. I really doubt it, though.
Important to note too though that both Sony and Microsoft limited traffic with COVID on Xbox before this I could slam my connection speed 1gig up and down every time.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I have significant connection/stability issues with my apartment wifi using my PS5. None of the other devices in the same room, PS4 Pro included, have the same issues. The speed is decent once theres a stable connection, but it keeps disconnecting at random.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Important to note too though that both Sony and Microsoft limited traffic with COVID on Xbox before this I could slam my connection speed 1gig up and down every time.

Just connected direct to modem, and my NAT type went from 2 to 1. Speeds went up to 350 Mbps. Upload still 10, but happier with download speeds.

dunno if it is more because I connected direct or it's because of the NAT type. Either way seems to be pointing more to the router not playing nice with my PS5. Still not as much speed as I should be seeing, but a bit more sensible.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Your PS5 is fine, don't pay attention to the speedtest, a lot of things completely outside of your control goes into it.
Pay attention to the actual, real-world usage: are your games downloading at a reasonable rate compared to the size of your internet pipe? Uploads have always been slower, there's just not that much incentive to invest in optimizing those. PS4, PS5, uploading a video to youtube almost always uses only 30% of my bandwidth. With downloads the PS4 was all over the place but the PS5 is downloading at full speed.

Try doing some streaming and some large video uploads, then you'll get a feel to how the box really behaves, don't mind the synthetic number, there are no answers there and you'll just wear yourself out.

Neobunch

Nov 21, 2017
Port forwarding is usually recommended for bad PSN connections. DMZ makes downloads faster, because it circumvents the issues.
DMZ can help when some online functionality flat-out doesn't work or is suboptimal. We are talking about actual connections getting established, like online multiplayer erroring out, cannot join voice chat or party up within a game, stuff like that.
But once those connections are established, DMZ does nothing in regards to speed.

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Just connected direct to modem, and my NAT type went from 2 to 1. Speeds went up to 350 Mbps. Upload still 10, but happier with download speeds.

dunno if it is more because I connected direct or it's because of the NAT type. Either way seems to be pointing more to the router not playing nice with my PS5. Still not as much speed as I should be seeing, but a bit more sensible.
It's because your ASUS router has more security features I'm sure than your modem including ddos protection and if you have QOS on it reserves bandwidth I have a ASUS RT-86U and have it off on my connection and I get all the speed the devices can pull down. But like I said I have a full gigabit network and my whole house is wired Cat6

Last edited: