• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurker

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can wait til 2021 for a PS5.

I feel the this gen truly started on 2015 anyway.

2013 had a lot of cross-gen. Even 2014 felt that way.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
In that case (2021), I'd expect the 7nm+ node to be going for mass production.

PS5 APU would probably tape out in late 2020 at TSMC

CPU: Zen 3 mobile, 8 core / 16 threads - 3.2 GHz
GPU: AMD Next Gen architecture (re: post Navi) about 15+ TFlops
RAM: 32 GB HBM3

rRKFFXg.jpg

F8Ssvpy.png

jrSjmfw.jpg

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I almost don't want to buy The Last of Us Part II because of the likelihood of a better version coming out on PS5 a year later like with the first game. But... no way I can wait a year.

Intersect

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Guys, the Sony efficientgaming.eu presentation is a July 2017 document and previous to that document the Tier 4 Jan 2019 Power cap was blank. Sony now knows how much power the Holiday PS4s will draw. This date is late enough to pretty much confirm there are no issues with a Holiday 2018 release of two new Sony UHD Media consoles. Since they are confirmed UHD Media consoles and Sony has used the GPUs for codecs, this time they must support Infinity fabric DRM for the GPUs and likely the CPUs. Zen Mobile and a semi-custom GPU with infinity fabric (part of Vega or Navi).

Media power is the only spec that can indicate the GPU size with the UHD Gaming APU/system drawing 110 watts for media. The smaller UHD Media console only draws 60 watts for media. Since the PS4 pro (4TF) draws 70 watts for media and 7nm is about 40% more power efficient we may see 6TF for the smaller Holiday 2018 PS4 and for the larger UHD Gaming PS4 something less than 12 TF (110 Watt vs 60 watt = less than 2X 6TF).

If we are speculating PS5 and know that new Sony consoles being released Holiday 2018 may still be called PS4, a 2021 PS5 is my guess.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I only hope they wait for 7nm and go with 8 cores/16 threads zen or more.

That node will be used like for 5 years at least so the cpu won't become obsolete soon after launch.

Oct 27, 2017
People in here expecting 16 GB ram must love pro patch level of upgrades to their games. Each generation has had a 16x ram increase. The PS5 needs 128GB. It is law

Oct 29, 2017
People in here expecting 16 GB ram must love pro patch level of upgrades to their games. Each generation has had a 16x ram increase. The PS5 needs 128GB. It is law

Given how pricey RAM and flash memory have gotten in recent years, I dont see that happening. I expect 32 to 64GB at the absolute most.

But then again, I only expected 4GB of DDR5 RAM in the PS4. :p

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Guys, the Sony efficientgaming.eu presentation is a July 2017 document and previous to that document the Tier 4 Jan 2019 Power cap was blank. Sony now knows how much power the Holiday PS4s will draw. This date is late enough to pretty much confirm there are no issues with a Holiday 2018 release of two new Sony UHD Media consoles. Since they are confirmed UHD Media consoles and Sony has used the GPUs for codecs, this time they must support Infinity fabric DRM for the GPUs and likely the CPUs. Zen Mobile and a semi-custom GPU with infinity fabric (part of Vega or Navi).

Media power is the only spec that can indicate the GPU size with the UHD Gaming APU/system drawing 110 watts for media. The smaller UHD Media console only draws 60 watts for media. Since the PS4 pro (4TF) draws 70 watts for media and 7nm is about 40% more power efficient we may see 6TF for the smaller Holiday 2018 PS4 and for the larger UHD Gaming PS4 something less than 12 TF (110 Watt vs 60 watt = less than 2X 6TF).

If we are speculating PS5 and know that new Sony consoles being released Holiday 2018 may still be called PS4, a 2021 PS5 is my guess.

Does anyone here want to comment on this?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
wioCbwI.jpg

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/55875/amd-launch-monster-navi-10-2019-next-gen-ram/index.html

GZtQw2l.jpg

PS5 based on Zen 2 and Navi 10 with either 32 or 64 GB of nextgen memory.

nextgen memory meaning, either GDDR6 or HBM3.

A 2019 release would probably mean 32 GB GDDR6.

A 2020 release could allow for 64 GB of either GDDR6 or HBM3.

64 GB HBM3 gives 2048 GB/s (aka 2 TB/s) memory bandwidth.

PS5 in 2019/2020 and NextBox in 2020/2021 will be freaking monstrous !

I have no doubt!

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Late 2019.

Can't see Sony waiting four years after the launch of the Pro and another three years from now before releasing a new console. They need to keep the momentum going for the PS division so 2019 seems about right.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
I almost don't want to buy The Last of Us Part II because of the likelihood of a better version coming out on PS5 a year later like with the first game. But... no way I can wait a year.

Maybe the same disc for PS4/Pro could be played on PS5, 4K, updated with better textures, 60fps. I don't see Sony releasing Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima or Uncharted 4 remasters.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the same disc for PS4/Pro could be played on PS5, 4K, updated with better textures, 60fps. I don't see Sony releasing Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima or Uncharted 4 remasters.
Why not? I don't see how next-gen is going to be any different from the last two gens. We absolutely are going to be getting PS4 Remasters on PS5.

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
Why not? I don't see how next-gen is going to be any different from the last two gens. We absolutely are going to be getting PS4 Remasters on PS5.

Architecture. I don't expect anything crazy like Cell/Emotion Engine.

I remember Shu talking about the "master plan" from Cerny, and I think that is about keep the legacy, reduce costs of HD Remasters. Sony and Microsoft have come to the same conclusions with PS4 Pro/ One X.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
make it powerful, I can wait. Current console games are already looking very impressive. There needs to be a tangible difference.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Regarding memory, if they will use GDDR6, I don't think they can get away with 32GB GDDR6 on a 256bit bus (=512GB/s). AMD's Vega 64 has 484GB/s for a 12.6TF GPU, and benchmarks seem to indicate that memory bandwidth might already be a small bottleneck for this chip. Also, bandwidth on the PS5 is probably shared between CPU and GPU. Which means 512 - 484 = 28GB/s left for the CPU, which isn't really much. For a CPU like Ryzen, ~50GB/s seems like a good number, from what I've read.

A 384bit bus (=768GB/s) could solve this, but realistically this also limits memory configuration to either 24GB or 48GB. Which means that, because there are only 16Gbit (=2 GB) chips announced at the moment, PS5 would either need to have 12 or 24 memory chips. And I don't think they can really put 24 chips on their board (launch PS4 had 16 chips). So 24 GB GDDR6 RAM with 768GB/s seems like the best possible choice at the moment.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Launch timing is not that uncertain.
Holiday 2019 at the earliest, holiday 2020 at the latest. Other options are simply not realistic.
Specs wise I guess it will be an evolution of the same architecture used in the PS4. Ryzen based CPU, at least a 12 Teraflops GPU and at least 32GB of GDDR6. Since the architecture is pretty much the same of the PS4 there shoulnd't be issues with BC.
So I don't think that guessing hardware related details is really hard, it's harder and probably more interesting to guess what kind of new features will be made available at OS level. With PS4 the key was 'sharing' contents made by players. With PS5 I don't know :P

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
have you seen the price of RAM lately by any chance?

16GB ram = £190
a new PS4 = £230

you want 128GB in your PS5? that cost ~£1,500 right now. that's 4x PS4 pros or 3x XB1Xs. my entire PC cost less than that and it's more powerful than an XB1X. next we'll be seeing people saying "The PS5 needs 2TB SSD. It is law". 2tb 2.5" ssd = £420-580

games right now for me on PC use about 10GB. I think 32GB is most likely for PS5. 64GB if prices come down significantly. 128GB is right out.

Last edited:

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Launch the PS5 in fall 2020 and sell it for a small loss.
$399, as powerful as you can make it.
Go!

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Architecture. I don't expect anything crazy like Cell/Emotion Engine.

I remember Shu talking about the "master plan" from Cerny, and I think that is about keep the legacy, reduce costs of HD Remasters. Sony and Microsoft have come to the same conclusions with PS4 Pro/ One X.
Nothing will stop them from releasing remasters again on the PS5.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing will stop them from releasing remasters again on the PS5.
If they do, they will have to go beyond some/most of the efforts this gen. A few upgrades going from PS4 to PS5 aren't going to be enough to sell it. They would have to make a 30fps game into 60fps, and they'd have to include considerable changes to textures, lighting, etc...

This is what I would want anyway. PS4 games already look good/great.

I do see the business side of it though. It doesn't take up a lot of resources, and they can make a quick buck while developing new games. They would just have to do it right.

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances we get a port of GTA 5? I think it's highly likely as I'm expecting GTA Online to have some kind of map addition by that point.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If they do, they will have to go beyond some/most of the efforts this gen. A few upgrades going from PS4 to PS5 aren't going to be enough to sell it. They would have to make a 30fps game into 60fps, and they'd have to include considerable changes to textures, lighting, etc...

This is what I would want anyway. PS4 games already look good/great.

I do see the business side of it though. It doesn't take up a lot of resources, and they can make a quick buck while developing new games. They would just have to do it right.

All they'd need to do is show games like GTAVI having more pedestrians, cars and visual quality to make people double dip.

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
Remember if it's coming out 2019, that means sometime in 2018 we would start to hear rumblings of next gen. But I just don't see that happening. So it must be 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances we get a port of GTA 5? I think it's highly likely as I'm expecting GTA Online to have some kind of map addition by that point.
They might as well. With the way that thing continues to sell, they may be able to get the same attach rate with the PS5/Xbox 2.

All they'd need to do is show games like GTAVI having more pedestrians, cars and visual quality to make people double dip.
Most likely, but I was just thinking of what would get me into the remasters. It won't be often next gen since we won't have a Cell situation anymore.

Remember if it's coming out 2019, that means sometime in 2018 we would start to hear rumblings of next gen. But I just don't see that happening. So it must be 2020.
Yeah, when the rumors and what not start coming out, we can add a year to that point. That will be when it comes out. I expect info to start slipping the end of next year/beginning of 2019, and for PS4 to be announced and released in 2020.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Sony will continue to look for ways to make PS4 cheaper and cheaper. This include 7-10nm shrinks for both PS4 Slims and PS4 Pros APU, as well as possibly creating an entry level PS4 console without the HDD [they did this at the end of PS3s lifecycle]. Since ratio of digital games grows so fast, maybe they will even offer PS4 SKU without a BD drive.

Only when public demand for PS4 HW and SW starts to wind down, then they will push stronger for quick arrival of PS5. As of now, it looks like both 2018 and 2019 have enough software to satisfy PS4 gamers.

Is this logical / reasonable? You can stream most games off of the blu-ray drive for PS3, whereas you have to install for PS4. Yes, you can just buy a hard drive to go with it, but that's turning it into a "must buy memory card with system" type situation that wouldn't make it as good of a deal (depending on price) vs just paying for the one that has the drive built in.

Oct 28, 2017
Some unrealistic expectations in this thread. Price and price reduction of the hardware are essential to the design team like they were in the PS4 development stages. The PS5 will probably have 10-12 TF max, and will probably be priced at 400.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017

Straight up, I'll hold off playing any exclusive that drops from 2019 onwards. More important to me is 60 fps. I know we'll get an eventual 60 fps TLOU 2 on PS5. I can wait.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK

16GB ram = £190
a new PS4 = £230

you want 128GB in your PS5? that cost ~£1,500 right now. that's 4x PS4 pros or 3x XB1Xs. my entire PC cost less than that and it's more powerful than an XB1X. next we'll be seeing people saying "The PS5 needs 2TB SSD. It is law". 2tb 2.5" ssd = £420-580

games right now for me on PC use about 10GB. I think 32GB is most likely for PS5. 64GB if prices come down significantly. 128GB is right out.
And you think Sony and MS pay the same as what we do? No, they'll pay waaaaaay less than we would for stuff like RAM and SSD/HDD. I agree we aren't getting an SSD though, that's just dreaming and wishful thinking. We will get a Hybrid if we're lucky but even then it'll probably be a 7200RPM HDD. However I do see the PS5 having at least a minimum of 24gb of RAM. Sony went all in with the "Most powerful Console ever" line of marketing and now MS have taken that crown. Sony will want it back as it's working towards general consumers and not just the hardcore crowd.

Sony have recently said that they're not really concerned with making money on console hardware as their online business is absolutely killing it. Something which is a complete turn around of what they said at the start of this Gen.

I can also see them subsidising the console a little (nowhere near PS3 levels though) to give us something with a little more power. Especially if they release in 2019. So I genuinely expect the unexpected in regards to PS5.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Is this logical / reasonable? You can stream most games off of the blu-ray drive for PS3, whereas you have to install for PS4. Yes, you can just buy a hard drive to go with it, but that's turning it into a "must buy memory card with system" type situation that wouldn't make it as good of a deal (depending on price) vs just paying for the one that has the drive built in.
Yes, installing is a must for new consoles, but as long as the HDD space limitation is clearly marked on the box and customer knows he is bying an entry level console that will probably quickly ask of him to install more storage, it will be fine.

Mona-chan

Oct 31, 2017
Judging from the fact that Sony will be poised to continue the x86 architecture with their next console, I dare say PS4 BC could be a given.

The bigger question is, what will they do for PS1 and PS2 BC? Would they include it out of the box, or charge for certain games?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

16GB ram = £190
a new PS4 = £230

DRAM and SSD prices are expected to plummet in 2019, as Samsung and the other manufacturers ramp up supply.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/319...dram-will-crash-in-2019-gartner-predicts.html

Status
Not open for further replies.