• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
PUSH SQUARE
We've been here before, haven't we? I remember the halcyon days of 2013, when a less jaded Sammy and a much smaller Push Square quivered with anticipation as Sony announced the PlayStation Meeting which would later play host to the PlayStation 4. The event was revealed days after a cunning Kaz Hirai had told a business broadsheet that it would let its competitor go first. The company took the entire industry by surprise.
kaz-hirai-ps5-playstation-5-1.original.jpg

But who needs the glitz and glamour of strobe lights and stage make-up when you can just send a tech journalist to Foster City and have Mark Cerny spill the beans? It's a strange way to announce a new console, but in this social media age, the PlayStation maker has ensured that everyone knows what it's up to – and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters, isn't it? The best news of all: the PS5 genuinely sounds superb.

In fact, I don't think there's a single thing I'm worried about after milking that Wired article for all that it's worth. I suppose the console does sound pretty costly, but I don't think there's any chance of a PlayStation 3 reprise here – the manufacturer knows that it needs to be under $500 at the very least. Personally, I think we're probably looking at somewhere in the region of $449.99, which is slightly more than the PS4 but reasonable for early adopters.

For me, there are two things that the PS5 needed to do: it needed to leverage the success of the PS4 and simultaneously evolve it. Those two requirements may sound precariously close to a paradox, but I think that's what Sony is actually promising. Here we have a piece of hardware that's built upon the very same foundations as its predecessor: it's backwards compatible, it's developer friendly, and it's consumer-focused. But the manufacturer isn't resting on its laurels.

No, the people at PlayStation are eager to evolve what gaming can be – and that's absolutely how it should be. The drastically superior hardware specifications, with ray tracing functionality, will obviously improve visual fidelity – but features like 3D audio and faster loading will help with immersion in ways that are simply impossible on the PS4 right now. This is what a next-gen system should be aiming to deliver, and I'm glad Sony recognises that.

More in this link

GEEK WIRE
Sony lifted the hood on its next PlayStation console in a Wired story today featuring an interview with Mark Cerny, the lead architect of the PlayStation 4. To summarize briefly, the new model won't arrive this year, will feature ray-tracing capability that provides a greater degree of visual realism by allowing even better simulation of light and sound, and most importantly, will ship with a solid-state drive.

The addition of a solid-state drive is notable, given that big-budget games at the moment tend to involve big, open worlds for the player to explore, which means the game has to load an entire, miles-wide map when you fire the game up. A solid-state drive would allow nearly seamless transitions for console games.

But overall, Cerny makes it sound like the PlayStation 5 (which isn't officially named that yet, but let's stick with it for now) is based around a few quality-of-life changes, rather than marking a seismic transition between console generations. The PS5 isn't the stalking horse for a new media brand, as the PlayStation 2 was for DVDs or the PS3 was for Blu-Ray discs; it'll at least be backwards compatible with your PS4 library; and you'll still be able to buy discs for it.

It's just a new, more powerful, more versatile PlayStation.
da6bea8f-cf49-4b24-9b8kpj.jpeg

However, it's also coming up to bat in a video game industry that's in a greater state of flux than normal. Google's streaming service Stadia promises to put serious marketing and programming muscle behind cloud-based gaming in a way that can't help but change the landscape around it. Microsoft already has a streaming service of its own, as well as new initiatives such as the Xbox One All-Digital Edition, the All Access program, and bringing the Xbox Live experience to its competitors' platforms.

More in this link

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about that.

I half expect some compromises and hardware downgrades to be made by the time it's officially announced, and Sony is going to face some backlash if that happens.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked how they did it. Removed a lot of silly speculation but left enough mystery to make it all still exciting. Your move Microsoft!

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call it a stroke of genius but getting ahead of MS and confirming backward compatibility right off the bat were really good moves.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I dont know about that. I think it was the cheaper way to do it as social media will spread the news pretty quick, but if they would have done it at E3 they would likely get a lot more coverage, and media outlets talking about it. Itll get a lot more attention from the general public.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't rule out $499. It was a promising piece, though. More excited for the Zen 2 and Navi reveal than any game reveal at this point

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I don't know... for us it's nice but the "normal" public even know it was a thing?

MS reveal at E3 is a far better idea.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure, it put them in the spotlights for a bit, but now they need to deliver on a follow-up after MS has completely revealed their next console most likely. Let's see if they can.
The SSD stuff was absolutely a surprise

If by surprise you mean expected by loads of people, then yes.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Is Push Square a PlayStation fan site? That definitely reads like a fan piece.

But yes, I think it was a nice surprise article and next-gen is sounding very exciting indeed. And Sony will succeed again by keeping things simple, and focusing on delivering strong hardware and a strong game line-up without any distractions.
We knew Scarlett would have NVMe SSD and raytracing since January, so it wasn't a total surprise that PS5 would have it too.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
It was a great move but I wouldn't really say a stroke of genius. Considering the source of the article, I'm not surprised they would say that.

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
it's way too early to say that. it'll depend on how many people watch and get excited by the official unveiling or decide not to bother because 'i thought they already announced it'.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No it wasn't.
Inviting a journalist for a story about a more powerful hardware without specifics beyond what was the logical next step isn't genius at all

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
If Sony made the interview after Microsoft had their reveal, people would be saying it was a stroke of genius because they would have been able to respond to Microsoft

What console manufacturer is the only one that has a square icon for a button

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Nah, they should have held a conference with the public fan's and revealed it there, that way it would have atleast felt like they are communicating and keeping them updated with news related to Playstation.
Instead now only hardcore people who follow gaming news know about it while rest of the fan's are kept in the dark.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
This was a terrible move. Arrogant Sony decided not to treat Gamers with an E3 press conference.

Sony cheated not only the Gamers, but themselves.

They didn't grow.
They didn't improve.
They took a shortcut and gained nothing.

They experienced a hollow victory.
Nothing was risked and nothing was gained.

It's sad that they don't know the difference.

It was a great move and I appreciate Sony just being forward with the expected specs and some details. Traditional hype cycles aren't always healthy or sustainable. I read the news and went "Wow that's cool. I'm patiently looking forward to next year's conference from Sony."

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
As a consumer, meh

Of course I expected more. But still, It's at least something to keep me excited for the big reveal

As a business strategy, It was genius.

Microsoft will have Scarlet's big reveal at E3 with price point and all, so Sony can analyse and adapt accordingly, just like they did with the PS4 announcement

Having the opportunity to be the second one to announce your product can do wonders, as Sony knows very well

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
It was definitely an interesting approach and something we're maybe not used to, typically expecting press conferences for any details related to hardware. However, in a few ways, the info felt vague to me, and based on what has been presented, I wouldn't say you could draw the following conclusions (minus the confirmed backwards compatibility):

Here we have a piece of hardware that's built upon the very same foundations as its predecessor: it's backwards compatible, it's developer friendly, and it's consumer-focused. But the manufacturer isn't resting on its laurels.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony fansite claims Sony's latest move was genius.

But jokes aside, it was a good move. Microsoft was "winning" the next-gen talks because:
  1. There wasn't basically any next-gen talk around Sony or Nintendo (not that Nintendo needs to talk about that yet)
  2. Microsoft's next-gen plan sounds great (more first party studios, full backwards compatibility, more power than the competition, xCloud, multiple SKUs, etc.)
With this, they showed some of their cards early and in an official way, confirming some of the stuff we were hoping for next-gen (ray-tracing and SSDs, among others), while also confirming they'll finally have proper backwards compatibility too - one of the things that could have potentially been a huge point in Microsoft's favour come next-gen.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

But yes, I think it was a nice surprise article and next-gen is sounding very exciting indeed. And Sony will succeed again by keeping things simple, and focusing on delivering strong hardware and a strong game line-up without any distractions.

We knew Scarlett would have NVMe SSD and raytracing since January, so it wasn't a total surprise that PS5 would have it too.

Yeah it's a playstation fan site and they've published some cringe worthy articles before. To me they are the crapgamer of console news sites. Not something to really be taken serious most of the time.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I don't know... for us it's nice but the "normal" public even know it was a thing?

MS reveal at E3 is a far better idea.
I don't see the difference between the article or E3 in that regard. The "normal" public wouldn't know its a thing until they see an ad or it in stores

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
It was absolute and complete idiocy, really. They came out and spewed numbers and had nothing to show for it. Now they have to live up to everything they said in that article or people are going to be disappointed and I'm not sure it's something Sony can do.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Playstation-centric website calls Playstation decision genius. Shocking.

On topic: talk is cheap. They can tell us what the console can do all they want, but it'll never be more impressive than showing us what it can do with actual software.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
If anything I loved that they got ahead of the BC with PS4 news. So the folks going "I'm in only if I can bring my PS4 library with me" can now have an answer (I was one of them)

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
It was a wise assessment that nowadays a somewhat dry Powerpoint presentation with GDDR5 ram bullet points would have been torn apart in the current media, and that it was best to stealth launch this information out into the world without making a big hullabaloo about it.

In contrast Phil Spencer will repeat "most powerful console ever" ad nauseum and have nothing on the screen behind him to back it up for months if not years. Sony instead has cleared the runway for their actual console unveil to be about games and features rather than tech nerd specs.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fan piece written for and published by a fan website--of course they think it's a stroke of genius.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was absolute and complete idiocy, really. They came out and spewed numbers and had nothing to show for it. Now they have to live up to everything they said in that article or people are going to be disappointed and I'm not sure it's something Sony can do.
What numbers did they spew? Actually, the one thing they didn't mention were any numbers, other than the expected 8-core CPU.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They didn't announce any concrete numbers, just enough to let console warriors fill in the blanks. They're trying to look like they're not reacting to a new Xbox being announced but not trying to show an actual numbers so that they can play with the press on if the next Xbox is stronger than the PS5.

I mean we don't even know how much RAM is in the damn thing.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm having difficulty reading the article since I'm cringing so hard to the Kaz as Hulkster pic.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the difference between the article or E3 in that regard. The "normal" public wouldn't know its a thing until they see an ad or it in stores

E3 reveals are plastered all over the internet in minutes. I learned about this article just from ERA first. There certainly is a difference between E3 and an article. Even more the normal public.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Kind of surprised someone hasn't written the 'How Sony's PS5 info release shows what they've learned from Apex Legends launch' article yet.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I mean sure, it put them in the spotlights for a bit, but now they need to deliver on a follow-up after MS has completely revealed their next console most likely. Let's see if they can.

SSD may have not been a surprise to enthusiasts and the extremely tech literate, but many probably had no idea what to expect, or even understand the benefits of SSDs. The demo to show load time differentials is the perfect way to demonstrate that. Hell, if it can speed up PS4 titles too, they should show that. It plays right into the wheelhouse of MS's last gen, but better BC program.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

??? When epsilon rumor for ps5 came out in 2018 every one said laughable and made fun of it cause it said 1Tb SSD .now it was expected? We have pages upon pages people laughing at the SSD in ps5 .I even laughed at it and said no way haha.now it's expected ?? What ?

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

It is, if you mean something in the same sense as Nintendolife or ThisIsXbox.
https://nlife.com

It's a platform centric website but that's no reason to discount their opinion, if that's what you're going for.

DrainedSpirit

Mar 25, 2019
More shocking if they would just ship with another standard 5400RPM HDD again and call it a day. Loading times together with gimped CPU's has been the biggest criticisms with this gen's hardware.
BC + SSD were pretty nice surprises.
Nice but hardly surprises. BC with the PS5 was even hinted with the PS4 reveal as a reason to move to standard x86. It has also been obvious that both next-boxes would use another AMD x86 SoC so there isn't really any excuse to not have it. And as mentioned, slow storage has also been a major criticism with the current-boxes and it still not clear exactly what solution the PS5 will use.