• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 34385

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It's super, super, important. Price is probably the second most important thing after games. It's not a hundred percent of the equation, though.

It's probably overly simple, but sometimes I think of it like this: you tell your friends to go to a restaurant because the food is good. You don't tell them to go to a restaurant because the food is cheap.
this defines next gen.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
It was a smart, nimble move when compared to Microsoft´s usually slow, big-spending, grandiloquent, old-school marketing.
Sony has the consumer goodwill, the media slant and the fundamentalist, vocal userbase to keep the snowball rolling and make a lot of noise with little effort.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The genius is Sony will treat stuff like BC as if they invented it and most consumers wouldn't care if MS did it first or better. If they bought Last of Us 2 on PS4, they can play it on PS5 when they upgrade, that's what matters to them.

The fact that you'd think this when it is so hilariously false on every level is a testament to how Microsoft have created such a PR hypestorm around BC as being the defining feature of Xbox One when in reality it's a feature that pretty much no one gave a shit about (MS included initially) to the extent that they, Sony and Nintendo were all perfectly fine with just dropping it altogether for their new platforms.

Besides, Cerny just seems to have mentioned it in passing more or less... so I doubt it's gonna be what they try to sell the PS5 on somehow.

Not gonna lie I don't think any casual fan cares about 'ray tracing' or '8 cores'. Heck I don't even understand a lot of the stuff they were going on about.

This wasn't for casual fans. This was specifically for people who do care about the significance of the technical aspects.

Feb 10, 2018
It's super, super, important. Price is probably the second most important thing after games. It's not a hundred percent of the equation, though.

It's probably overly simple, but sometimes I think of it like this: you tell your friends to go to a restaurant because the food is good. You don't tell them to go to a restaurant because the food is cheap.

It's not an equal sum game.

Deleted member 34385

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I don't think that the All digital is a driver for Microsoft as you think it is. It's another option which is why it was quietly announced on a show that not many people watch rather than holding until E3. The mixer stream had 25k viewers when I was watching. If you think Sony were that shook by this console they had to talk PS5, well...
What even is this post? I don't see why Microsoft's current gem sales matter for a generation where everyone starts at 0.
i honestly think it does this gen, specially if you consider the fact that both of these companies want you locked in their ecosystem. its like your gmail account, are you really going to change it if you have everything already on your current email?

Feb 10, 2018
While I'm sure they have a target, it's probably too early to commit without some risk. Yields might still be uncertain and that would dictate a lot about whether or how many CUs might need to be disabled on a die. This is a relatively immature processing node at this stage also. Better to wait til they're very sure.

The amount of cu's will be locked down already, Navi is expected to launch in 2019 so it will be pretty solid by now.
The amount of cu's was locked down at the same point before this gen.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
Adobe-20190417-212155.jpg

Perfect. :)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
E3 has become a contest to put on a show, and the results are unpredictable. I'm sure a low-key announcement like this is easier to calculate.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
In the age of grandiose stage presentations, I like this low key approach. Less salesmanship and marketing pitches, more substance.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it's a good decision. An interview that kicks off the next generation discussion that isn't just a about vague rumours. It makes the first set of conversations revolve mostly around the Playstation brand. It doesn't give in depth details which keeps discussion going but also doesn't give competitors knowledge either so between now and next year is a whole lot of time to be flexible to changes accordingly. Playstation is a far more popular brand worldwide and It gives those invested in the brand lot of more talk about and people excited for a news for months similar to how PS4 kicked of the discussions. It gives reasons for users to want to stay having confirmed BC and less reasons for wanting to leave which isn't good for competitor with a much weaker brand.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
~95 million PS4 consoles worldwide are literally shaking right now.
So are they arrogant or scared? make your mind up Era!

It seems you guys haven't read the post of the year.

Microsoft 100% do NOT need to respond to this. Sony are clearly the ones shitting their pants and are trying to bait microsoft into revealing everything. Sure they revealed a couple of things but we dont know the teraflops number and we dont even know the amount of ram. They clearly hope microsoft show everything and can then makes changes at the last minute to try and catch microsoft out. Microsoft should continue business as usual.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
These come off as fan boy puff pieces. It's a bold move, for sure, but to call it a "stroke of genuis" to talk about your next console first and in a nonchalant way is, idk, different to put it lightly.

Neverfear

Jan 22, 2018
That is certainly one way to think of it. I found it interesting sony released information now, but not much else. I look forward to finding out more about what they have in store for us in the future. I am also interested in what Nintendo and Microsoft have for us.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Stroke of genius is a bit much but it was very smart - they made sure that all their current fans know what was up. You will be able to play all your favorite games on our next system and it will be a powerful system - so whatever the competition shows off, no need to worry...we got you.

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
This is some, uh, pretty heavy praise for something that isn't even a new thing. And, more than that, isn't even a new thing for Sony? Hell, imo Sony did this better with the PS4 reveal which was, like, an actual thing, because this guarantees that now we have to have the Specs Reveal Interview, the Formal Console Reveal in the fall, then the Big Blowout Reveal Storm presumably E3 2020, and who knows how many minireveals in between. I guess that they're so specs focused this time around is nice? I just... how can you call talking about an unrevealed system's stats months before the actual sort-of-kind-of-real-reveal "a victory lap" by any standards?

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
This wasn't for casual fans. This was specifically for people who do care about the significance of the technical aspects.

I mean, sure, but tell that to the people here who are saying how it was delivered like this to reach mass audiences (people citing stuff like CNN/BBC). It's one way or the other, and the fact that people are so divided on its intent tells me it was a muddled reveal more than a 'genius' one.

Darth Smurf X

Oct 25, 2017
Hoth, WI
I think it's genius for another reason. On this site, I've seen numerous people who've stated that they'd love to jump on PSVR—with all the titles already available and those just recently announced—but were worried their investment would be obsolete with the PS5. Cerny confirmed the PSVR1 will work with the PS5, so now people can feel secure in their purchase and dive into PSVR early and have an entire library ready to play on Day 1 of PS5. Probably with better resolution and performance.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't know if it should be defined as 'genius' per se, but with a single tweet and a Wired article, they've completely set the tone and trajectory of the next-gen conversation.

I think this sums it up pretty well. Judging by some the posts in various topics since yesterday It also seems to have rustled some jimmies.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Most ppl don't have news feeds set up. Every major media outlet is at E3. Of course more ppl would be aware of this if it was announced at e3

I posted this a month ago on the topic of Sony not needing to rely on E3 for their news to make a strong impact:
The moment Sony posts a new trailer for the game? EVERY publication is going to report on it. There will be dissections of the footage online from thousands of people. Whether it's shown at a conference or it's not, it makes not a lick of difference. You know this, I know this, everybody knows this.

Look who I was responding to.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
What Cerny did wasn't a reveal though, it was just him giving some details before the reveal :P
Shh, this doesn't help.

I'm just laughing my ass off thinking about the old posts saying wtf?? Sony wont be at E3???

Some ppl literally thought Sony were going to be silent the entire year....just because they skipped E3....

And this is just an article.....

And no ones claiming rumors don't matter or count. But to say Sony is matching or copying the competition when all we have is rumors for the competition is ....interesting......

And yes, the Wired article is trickling all over the internet. These 2 articles are just an example. Have to agree with those that say it was a genius move by Sony.

MS can come out and have an absolute monster of a console. But we have to wait till it gets announced, official word, something. As of right now Sony shifted the next gen talks to them. And will guarantee they are in the conversation during and after E3.

All from a lil article....

I think this sums it up pretty well. Judging by some the posts in various topics since yesterday It also seems to have rustled some jimmies.
This too, lmao.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
While it's great we know it has a beastly 8core Zen2 + ssd, however ram + gpu are pretty huge caveats to leave out, it would of been nice if cerny mentioned the number of gpu compute units and ram type.

They aren't going to announce those specs this early. Clocks and yields are still be worked on now.

They did invent it, at least native backwards compatibility. The Sega Genesis needed a separate Power Base Converter to play Master System games.

The PlayStation 2 was the first time that a home console could natively play the previous console's games.

What about the Atari 7800? =p

If it did, it wasn't intended to be a BC compatible console at first or would have

It was designed with BC in mind, it's literally baked into the hardware. The likely problem is the 180 they had to pull forced them to focus on reversing all their DRM crap and took attention away from other features in the system.

It seems you guys haven't read the post of the year.

Wtf did I just read?

Feb 10, 2018
They aren't going to announce those specs this early. Clocks and yields are still be worked on now.

What about the Atari 7800? =p

It was designed with BC in mind, it's literally baked into the hardware. The likely problem is the 180 they had to pull forced them to focus on reversing all their DRM crap and took attention away from other features in the system.

Wtf did I just read?

I did not say clock, the chip design will be locked down now, adjusting the cu count would require a complete redesign, so cu count is locked.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about that.

I half expect some compromises and hardware downgrades to be made by the time it's officially announced, and Sony is going to face some backlash if that happens.

We'll see, the PS4 had a similar reveal and got upgrades. Cerny is pretty reliable.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't know... I feel like the PS4 event reveal was as stroke of genius... it took all the wind out of the reveal for Xbox and was public enough that gamers everywhere got hyped. This felt a bit muted, confident mind you but muted and low key...which is really odd unless one of two: maybe PS5 really is farther off than most think and 2021 is the real window? So Sony wants to be in the mix by bringing this to light but they don't have more specifics to give? OR they just wanted to get this out now so once Xbox announces they will already be part of the conversation including Google and can do a response full reveal after the MS showcase? Personally I would have thought they would have done exactly what they did with the PS4 since that worked really well.
A tweet from Wired is NOT a reveal.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it was a pretty good move, there's absolutely no gaming news right now, so it's like the only thing to talk about. Sony have like an entire week to themselves.

They basically got the "mark cerny talking onstage for 10 minutes about hardware" out of the way, It was always the most akward part of the PS4 reveal.
It's good to have that out of the way before the full reveal (less questions and whatnot) and an article is a way better format for it.

They didn't reveal too much either, so that when they do have a big reveal event, it'll still be surprising to see the things general consumers care about.
games, the box itself, the controller, the OS, the price.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's genius in that a bunch of third party are now starting to get dev kits so this stuff is about to leak anyway and might as well get ahead of it and show it how you want to show it.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Yes the same will happen again when MS show next gen games and more detailed specs at E3, it will take major spotlight off PS5 and Sony will forced to do say something unless they want to become a distant afterthought.
PlayStation the top dog. There's no chance it gets forgotten about whether Sony stay silent or not. Only a handful of markets where it even has competition in the traditional console space.

Feb 10, 2018
PlayStation the top dog. There's no chance it gets forgotten about whether Sony stay silent or not. Only a handful of markets where it even has competition in the traditional console space.

Why the double standard, when Sony release specs it takes "a major spotlight off ms" but when MS release specs, it does not effect Sony?

Please...

It effects them both.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't anything that special. Sony didn't make any mistakes yet but they were also very vague so there's still a lot of room for error.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018

Around E3 Sony just has to announce ps4 price cut to 199$ and last of us 2 release date for Q4 2019 and they will have the spotlight again for the rest of the year (with a chance to outsell the switch once more)

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I... thought it was pretty underwhealming as a "reveal"

Don't get me wrong, the SSD and BC is fucking amazing but.. where's the 'pizzaz'?

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Actually think backward compatibility is a bigger deal now since they can improve stuff like load times, add hd texture packs etc.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I did not say clock, the chip design will be locked down now, adjusting the cu count would require a complete redesign, so cu count is locked.

I was just using clocks as an example of a specific detail they aren't going to share now. Also I'm pretty sure they can disable CUs to improve yields. So the design isn't locked down yet.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Like I said, the notion that a PS5 reveal would get "lost in the headlines" is ridiculous. It's an E3 winner.
This wasn't really a real "reveal" in that all we really got was an infodump.
We still havent seen the OS, the box, the games, etc. All that can be shown off in a proper reveal event.

But even then, doing it at E3 isn't really the best idea. Sure, it would dominate the headlines, but imo, it's too important for E3.
They should do what they did with the PS4 and hold a separate "PlayStation Meeting" in a more quiet time of year.
That worked really well last time.

Feb 10, 2018
I was just using clocks as an example of a specific detail they aren't going to share now. Also I'm pretty sure they can disable CUs to improve yields. So the design isn't locked down yet.

The cu's and how many are going to be disabled would of been figured out in its initial testing phase.
Also your changing clocks example is not related to what I'm saying, as I said CU count which has nothing to do with clocks.