• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It was definitely a good move. Up until this point we really had zilch on the PS5 and quite a bit of chatter about the next Xbox. This is probably the first time either has pre-empted substantial rumour. I don't think it makes much of a difference, but they pre-empted MS.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I don't know if I would call it "genius" but it was indeed a really great move.
BC and PSVR support are two topics that the community has been asking for some time. Problem solved.
The way they decided to 'reveal' specs was also real smart. They reveled everything without given a single number information.
The channel that they used to communicate in my opinion was the "genius" thing. It feels like they were talking directly to the enthusiatic crowd without telling the average Joe that PS5 is here soon.
PSX 2019 gonna be dope!

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
The cu's and how many are going to be disabled would of been figured out in its initial testing phase.
Also your changing clocks example is not related to what I'm saying, as I said CU count which has nothing to do with clocks.

I know CU counts doesn't have anything to do with clocks, it was merely an example. There is no guarantee that CU count is locked down now.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I would call it "genius" but it was indeed a really great move.
BC and PSVR support are two topics that the community has been asking for some time. Problem solved.
The way they decided to 'reveal' specs was also real smart. They reveled everything without given a single number information.
The channel that they used to communicate in my opinion was the "genius" thing. It feels like they were talking directly to the enthusiatic crowd without telling the average Joe that PS5 is here soon.
PSX 2019 gonna be dope!

That's what I'm seeing. There's too many people buying PS4s and happy with their PS4s to go fucking with that at this juncture. They just got out a little bit of key information for the core of the core crowd.

Chippu

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
I don't know... for us it's nice but the "normal" public even know it was a thing?

MS reveal at E3 is a far better idea.

Yeah, I agree. A lot of people in my social circle are avid PS4 gamers, but almost none of them were aware of this announcement when I brought it up. Nor did they really care.

At the same time, these same people get hyped for anything that's announced at E3.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not understanding why the PS4's main architect talking about the next PS console is a genius move.

The genius move would have been them unveiling the PS5 via a Direct like video before E3, without saying anything beforehand.
So wait its not a genius move to drop big and surprising info out of no where but your way is genius? Really?

I really dont get some of you at all.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
We'll see, the PS4 had a similar reveal and got upgrades. Cerny is pretty reliable.

The current reveal just sounds too good to be true. SSD storage faster than anything in the PC space along with hardware based Ray tracing. It just sounds like a pipe dream right now. I'm going to be pleasantly surprised if they can deliver this at a reasonable price.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You do realise that every media outlet is currently running this PS5 reveal right NOW right? A simple Google search will enlighten you.
You dont need E3 stage to get people interested or talking.
But an E3 stage is much more impactful. Even more outlets would be talking about it, outlets that don't typically cover video games.

Oct 31, 2017
So wait its not a genius move to drop big and surprising info out of no where but your way is genius? Really?

I really dont get some of you at all.

It's just my opinion, relax ! :D And yeah, I'm talking about a reveal out of nowhere, not some teasing.

And what big/surprising info are you talking about ? Because BC isn't surprising, it was pretty much expected. And then there's the SSD but that's not surprising either : I feel people could have guessed that a 2020 console might have one of those. It seems to be higher quality/customed though so I guess there's that and it's indeed nice to know.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
That's like saying the 3DS had an inbuilt audience of 154 million. It didn't.

When you're selling a new platform precious purchases mean nothing. People abandoned PS2 for Xbox 360, even though the PS3 had an emotion engine.

You need to SELL consoles, so yes, Sony and MS both start from 0 consoles sold.

The 3DS had indeed a better start because it was coming from the successful NDS. It's like claiming as if Apple starts every year at zero when they are announcing a new iPhone while ignoring brand power, previous sales numbers etc..
Trying to ignore sales trajectory and brand power just shows a lack of unsterstanding how markets work.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I posted this a month ago on the topic of Sony not needing to rely on E3 for their news to make a strong impact:

Look who I was responding to.
No, not every publication. Every video game publication, but not every major publication not focused on video games. I mean, publications like the Wall Street journal and financial times report on E3! The same isn't true for "just" a Playstation announcement

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
I would say it was indeed brilliant in that there weren't any actual specs communicated, which would've confused the largely technically illiterate fanbase anyway. It's better to make some vague promises/pipedreams, so the fans will do the viral marketing for you instead.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I'm failing to see the cleverness in this but I guess it's nice to know it's come in an official capacity. Enthusiasts are probably more likely to have seen the interview and would have guessed most the details anyway. I don't know. I want the good old event with a little more flashiness in these announcements honestly. The wired article isn't as fun.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
No, not every publication. Every video game publication, but not every major publication not focused on video games. I mean, publications like the Wall Street journal and financial times report on E3! The same isn't true for "just" a Playstation announcement
A PS5 reveal is far bigger than a E3. All the press will talk when they reveal the PS5 regardless of when they announce it. All a PS5 reveal at E3 would do is overshadow every other announcement, especially anything PS4.
Also I doubt Sony care about publications with pretty much zero influence on gaming aren't covering their announcement. Far more will and pretty much anyone with a passing interest will hear.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
It was smart, for sure. They managed to shift the next-gen conversation to themselves without taking the wind out of the PS4's sails, which is still selling remarkably well.
The bits of info were good enough for enthusiast hype, while leaving most of the specs under wraps.

They can now calmly observe what Microsoft is cooking, adapt, and prepare for their launch event later, because unlike Xbox they can afford to wait.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised they didn't make a big deal out of the BC. They could have just said so like two or three years ago if they're just going to mention it casually like that.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Why the double standard, when Sony release specs it takes "a major spotlight off ms" but when MS release specs, it does not effect Sony?

Please...

It effects them both.
It doesn't work like that because playstation holds far more cloud then xbox. Just look at the sales and the WW mindshare.
Around E3 Sony just has to announce ps4 price cut to 199$ and last of us 2 release date for Q4 2019 and they will have the spotlight again for the rest of the year (with a chance to outsell the switch once more)
Overkill. We'll be lucky to get a permanent €249 cut. Playstation is currently destroying xbox WW in terms of sales WW. €199 holiday promotions however and hopefully that price permanently by holiday 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about what your saying, is that it works both ways, if this has put pressure on ms then when MS unviel more then Sony it will put the pressure right back on Sony.
So your left with continuous game of one-upmanship, which importance is being overstated.
The content and hardware these companies provide is far more important.

Please tell me where I said that's less important? I don't understand what you're trying to say, the end product is more important is what I'm getting and no crap, of course it is. I never argued that, all I said was that they would feel more pressure, I think so, you don't. It's not a big deal. And of course it works both ways never said it didn't, I really think you're arguing for arguments sake.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A PS5 reveal is far bigger than a E3. All the press will talk when they reveal the PS5 regardless of when they announce it. All a PS5 reveal at E3 would do is overshadow every other announcement, especially anything PS4.
Also I doubt Sony care about publications with pretty much zero influence on gaming aren't covering their announcement. Far more will and pretty much anyone with a passing interest will hear.
Console reveals usually happen at E3, so it's difficult to say which is bigger. Was the switch reveal bigger than the E3 it preceded? I don't know. Regardless, a lot more publications would pick up a console reveal if it happened at E3. And you say that these publications have zero influence, but you're wrong. What are you basing this one? Do you think only core gamers that follow gaming news buy consoles? Of course not! These other publications absolutely matter.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I am surprised they didn't make a big deal out of the BC. They could have just said so like two or three years ago if they're just going to mention it casually like that.
They probably will at the actual reveal, like instead of talking about the much faster load times, just show it. All your PS4 purchases carry over and what have you.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe there's some 4d chess going on with how they'll be competitive with Microsoft, but this reeks of trying to get ahead of leaks

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
Oh booooy we're already starting to get these kinda articles again huh.

Bets on how many "genius move" pieces are we gonna get when Msoft reveal their console? And then again when Sony shows off theirs lol

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They aren't going to announce those specs this early. Clocks and yields are still be worked on now.

What about the Atari 7800? =p

It was designed with BC in mind, it's literally baked into the hardware. The likely problem is the 180 they had to pull forced them to focus on reversing all their DRM crap and took attention away from other features in the system.

Wtf did I just read?
Any sort of rumor or source for that? First time hearing it

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Console reveals usually happen at E3, so it's difficult to say which is bigger. Was the switch reveal bigger than the E3 it preceded? I don't know. Regardless, a lot more publications would pick up a console reveal if it happened at E3. And you say that these publications have zero influence, but you're wrong. What are you basing this one? Do you think only core gamers that follow gaming news buy consoles? Of course not! These other publications absolutely matter.
They don't based on the PS4, XB1 and Switch. Console reveals usually have their own special event, with the following E3 having a follow up and the important info like pricing or release if they didn't commit to anything yet.
99% of the casual audience will get the news from Twitter or Facebook, those publications are pretty much irrelevant when it come to stuff like a PS5 announcement.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
I think anyone who thinks they know how next-gen is going to play out is bonkers. Sony seems to be doubling down on the traditional hardware-focused paradigm of releasing bigger, better hardware with beefier specs. With Google in the mix now, Nintendo continuing to do extremely well with the Switch, and Microsoft pushing services and streaming/play anywhere, Sony seems like they are taking an extremely, extremely conservative approach. Microsoft is going to eat their lunch at E3. Nintendo is releasing a better Switch. Google is in the game now. If Sony just tries to release a $500 box and call it a day, I don't think that's going to be enough to win next-gen like they did this gen. Next gen seems to be more about services than specs, as well as price of entry. For all we know Google could blindside everyone like Sony did when they came out of nowhere with the PS1 and dethroned Sega and Nintendo. Playstation has been my primary console this gen. 360 was my console of choice the gen before that. Sony seems like they have the most to lose next-gen AND seem like they are resting on their laurels a bit. New console generations have historically seen dramatic shifts in market share. I don't think another $500 shiny box is going to automatically propel Sony to the lead in market share. Imagine a scenario where the PS5 costs $400 or $500 and both Microsoft and Google have a streaming solution that costs $100 or less? Video games are so weird and crazy right now that I have zero idea who is going to come out with momentum next gen. For all we know Amazon might just be waiting in the shadows too.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Oh booooy we're already starting to get these kinda articles again huh.

Bets on how many "genius move" pieces are we gonna get when Msoft reveal their console? And then again when Sony shows off theirs lol

Uhh ohhh... Here we go. Everyone's got it out for Xbox again.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think anyone who thinks they know how next-gen is going to play out is bonkers. Sony seems to be doubling down on the traditional hardware-focused paradigm of releasing bigger, better hardware with beefier specs. With Google in the mix now, Nintendo continuing to do extremely well with the Switch, and Microsoft pushing services and streaming/play anywhere, Sony seems like they are taking an extremely, extremely conservative approach. Microsoft is going to eat their lunch at E3. Nintendo is releasing a better Switch. Google is in the game now. If Sony just tries to release a $500 box and call it a day, I don't think that's going to be enough to win next-gen like they did this gen. Next gen seems to be more about services then specs, as well as price of entry. For all we know Google could blindside everyone like Sony did when they came out of nowhere with the PS1 and dethroned Sega and Nintendo. Playstation has been my primary console this gen. 360 was my console of choice the gen before that. Sony seems like they have the most to lose next-gen AND seem like they are resting on their laurels a bit. New console generations have historically seen dramatic shifts in market share. . I don't think another $500 shiny box is going to automatically propel Sony to the lead in market share. Imagine a scenario where the PS5 costs $400 or $500 and both Microsoft and Google have a streaming solution that costs $100 or less? Video games are so weird and crazy right now that I have zero idea who is going to come out with momentum next gen. For all we know Amazon might just be waiting in the shadows too.
Sony have a streaming solution that cost $99 a year already.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I think it was a really good move.
Only the hardcore are clamoring for a new console at this point. Hell even I'm perfectly content with the systems and will be for some time. Sony does two things with this. Appease and light the fire of those that want to be assured the next system is coming soon (It is) and will be a beast (it will be) and give us endless amounts of time to speculate and be excited. At the same time it takes nothing away from the momentum established by the PS4 and the games that are still yet to be released for it. Sony has basically future proofed in a way their mindshare. They have an amazing catalog of games on the horizon and beyond that things are just going to get better.

Contrast this with the Scorpio reveal which was done out of desperation more than anything. MS had no option but to reboot their brand and system and the Scorpio had to be released in grand fashion to do so because the X1 was on its way out. In that scenario you want to create as much hype as possible.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
They don't based on the PS4, XB1 and Switch. Console reveals usually have their own special event, with the following E3 having a follow up and the important info like pricing or release if they didn't commit to anything yet.
99% of the casual audience will get the news from Twitter or Facebook, those publications are pretty much irrelevant when it come to stuff like a PS5 announcement.
Again not irrelevant. This is just your gut feeling? Or you have something to back this up? The types of ppl that read the wsj or ft are not the same ones browsing Twitter for video game news. It's important to reach as wide an audience as possible. And if you have big news at E3 (like a console reveal) this will reach a very wide audience.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think anyone who thinks they know how next-gen is going to play out is bonkers. Sony seems to be doubling down on the traditional hardware-focused paradigm of releasing bigger, better hardware with beefier specs. With Google in the mix now, Nintendo continuing to do extremely well with the Switch, and Microsoft pushing services and streaming/play anywhere, Sony seems like they are taking an extremely, extremely conservative approach. Microsoft is going to eat their lunch at E3. Nintendo is releasing a better Switch. Google is in the game now. If Sony just tries to release a $500 box and call it a day, I don't think that's going to be enough to win next-gen like they did this gen. Next gen seems to be more about services than specs, as well as price of entry. For all we know Google could blindside everyone like Sony did when they came out of nowhere with the PS1 and dethroned Sega and Nintendo. Playstation has been my primary console this gen. 360 was my console of choice the gen before that. Sony seems like they have the most to lose next-gen AND seem like they are resting on their laurels a bit. New console generations have historically seen dramatic shifts in market share. I don't think another $500 shiny box is going to automatically propel Sony to the lead in market share. Imagine a scenario where the PS5 costs $400 or $500 and both Microsoft and Google have a streaming solution that costs $100 or less? Video games are so weird and crazy right now that I have zero idea who is going to come out with momentum next gen. For all we know Amazon might just be waiting in the shadows too.
If I was a betting man, ps5 takes the lead simply because Europe and Japan advantage over Xbox. And all those other streaming services don't have a backwards compatible selection of games. 3/4 times they have made 100 million sellers. I see a 4th.

MS can eat as much as they want at E3, Sony will bite back when they do their proper reveal.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But an E3 stage is much more impactful. Even more outlets would be talking about it, outlets that don't typically cover video games.

There's zero proof of this. This is an assumption at best. Guess what people do to get news when they can't watch E3 live? They go to the very same places that are taking about the PS5 currently.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There's zero proof of this. This is an assumption at best. Guess what people do to get news when they can't watch E3 live? They go to the very same places that are taking about the PS5 currently.
Zero proof of what? More outlets reporting on E3? There is proof. Just look at what publications reported on last year's e3

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was a great move. Almost everybody is talking about the PS5 right now. And it got people shook. I mean look at some posts here downplaying it. Mission accomplished.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Please do not read too much into media reactions to announcements and reveals. Remember 2013.

Nov 30, 2017
I dont care about it being strategic or not.

I did appreciate it though. While we were all assuming the same tech that was announced we didnt know for sure.

Now we know. And it sounds like they are delivering us a damn good one.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Again not irrelevant. This is just your gut feeling? Or you have something to back this up? The types of ppl that read the wsj or ft are not the same ones browsing Twitter for video game news. It's important to reach as wide an audience as possible. And if you have big news at E3 (like a console reveal) this will reach a very wide audience.
They have an audience with little to no interest in gaming. They aren't some huge untapped audience either, don't know why you think they are.

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I'm not understanding why the PS4's main architect talking about the next PS console is a genius move.

The genius move would have been them unveiling the PS5 via a Direct like video before E3, without saying anything beforehand.

They started shipping the dev kits in mass, it was only a matter of time before everything leaked, so they got out in front of it and controlled the message through a magazine with massive digital and print readership so even your random Walmart in Iowa will get coverage

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I... thought it was pretty underwhealming as a "reveal"

Don't get me wrong, the SSD and BC is fucking amazing but.. where's the 'pizzaz'?
It's not a reveal. It's like saying the xbox x was revealed when MS mentioned it was called scorpio and said it would be a beast. It's not the official reveal and Cerney didn't intend it as such. It was a genius PR move.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I won't call it a stroke of genius, but it's a setting of ground level expectations that worked. I'm now expecting a $499 console - better not to be surprised about that.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
It was not a stroke of genius. It was a surprise and unexpected, but no way would I call it a stroke of genius.

There was really not much "meaty" mentioned other than the BC and SSD. The CPU and GPU are not even out on the PC side, so we have no ideal of what to expect and nothing on memory, memory bandwidth etc. It was not really a "specs reveal". It was a very high level release of information without a lot of details. I kind of laughed at the DF Specs Analysis since there are actually no specs revealed and it is kind of hard to make an analysis when there are no numbers.