• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
It was absolute and complete idiocy, really. They came out and spewed numbers and had nothing to show for it. Now they have to live up to everything they said in that article or people are going to be disappointed and I'm not sure it's something Sony can do.
"They" being the lead architect for the hardware.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I just read the "victory lap" part.

You don't even read something that embarrassing on message boards.

Maybe we can wait a year or two after system release to call it a victory lap.

Oct 25, 2017
It makes me a little uncomfortable when people revere companies like this.
I mean it was a solid reveal but this just feels weird to me.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn, so many salty people on this thread. Jesus, shouldn't we all be celebrating the early days of a new generation announcement?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I was talking about speculation

Well the link I provided supports and confirms what I speculated. Point is it was planned from the beginning.

The fan-first feature has evolved from an experiment conducted by two separate Microsoft Research teams into a service planned for Xbox One's launch – complete with hardware hooks baked into the Durango silicon – until the well-publicized changes to the Xbox One policies (namely, stripping out the always-online requirement for the console) forced it to be pushed to the back burner.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Except that the announcement of Playstation 5 would have trended almost no matter how they did it. Not sure why you would compare it to a State of Play that was relatively light on news.
State of Play would've been late in the day. The article released early morning, it had an entire day to soak into everyone's minds.

12Danny123

Jan 31, 2018

Sony is absolutely to blame for this.

Is xcloud available for consumers? Gamepass is not really anything special, Sony can easily out gun ms here they have far better content that they can make available.

Fact is at the beginning of the gen people will be more inclined to buy console where they have already invested in digital content and physical content. Wether xcloud or psnow take over the world is yet to be seen

The way the media treat Sony in general in the cloud industry pretty much shows that Sony will have a tough time getting media attention for PSNow. It's very likely that Sony's streaming solution will likely always be more expensive than Stadia, XCloud and whatever Amazon comes up with.

Oct 26, 2017
Company announces vague specs well within reasonable tech roadmaps of their suppliers
Stroke of genius
Victory Lap
The absolute mad lads

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Well if this wired PS5 news can do this to ms
"They took major spotlight off Xbox and are forcing the hands of MS" (said in the post I replied to in which you quoted my reply of)
Then the same thing will happen when MS release more info then Sony has, unless people are applying a double standard biased towards Sony.

Man, I have seen you miss the point so many times you have almost turned into an Anti Robin Hood. It is not about the quantity of information, but the fact that the hardware checklist items were checked: SSD, Rizen, Navi, Raytracing...Words that will not sound as potent as they would have, had they not been spoken by a competitor s prior...

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Man, I have seen you miss the point so many times you have almost turned into an Anti Robin Hood. It is not about the quantity of information, but the fact that the hardware checklist items were checked: SSD, Rizen, Navi, Raytracing...Words that will not sound as potent as they would have, had they not been spoken by a competitor s prior...

Did MS say any of these? There's so much different controlled leak stories in the past few months when it comes to MS's next-gen plans. Unless i'm misunderstanding and you're saying that Sony coming out ahead to confirm it is more potent than all the different rumors of Scarlett/Lockhart that MS seeded, but did not outright confirm.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Did MS say any of these? There's so much different controlled leak stories in the past few months when it comes to MS's next-gen plans. Unless i'm misunderstanding and you're saying that Sony coming out ahead to confirm it is more potent than all the different rumors of Scarlett/Lockhart that MS seeded, but did not outright confirm.
There's definitely been a SSD rumour for their high end system. I think official conformation is a lot more effective than rumours, even if well sourced, though I don't think it's a massive deal either, at most just takes the wind out of MS' sails a little.

Feb 10, 2018

Which is what I'm saying, I agree that the things Sony have said will not have the same effect as being the first ones to confirm them, but any new things ms announce will also lessen the impact when sony's says them.
It's a game of one-upmanship.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry, but claiming a "victory lap" before we a) know concrete details about the console and b) have learned anything about the competition is the worst form of fanboy drivel.

And I don't have a dog in this fight. I want both consoles to be great, and I will buy both of them regardless of price.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

I simply meant that Microsoft would have had a better and easier time using those words, officially, on a E3 stage. Sony, sharing the information in a public way and not in a controlled informal way, aka leaks, gets a semantic advantage. It also does preemptively reduce the potential disadvantage that is looming on the horizon with MS possibly uncovering their vision in two months...

Last edited:

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony is absolutely to blame for this.

The way the media treat Sony in general in the cloud industry pretty much shows that Sony will have a tough time getting media attention for PSNow. It's very likely that Sony's streaming solution will likely always be more expensive than Stadia, XCloud and whatever Amazon comes up with.
You don't know that, stop talking out of your ass. Sony have done alot to improve costs for running their data centres for their PS3/ps4 clusters, they have shown that they have the technical know-how to reduce running costs.

Psnow is going to improve like it has since it came out, I know it's hard for some people to accept. Media treated Sony like crap last time and they ended up completely dominating this gen.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, the biggest news was kinda lost in the shuffle even. PS5 will be PS4 BC from the start is pretty much a killing blow, with how big digital and service games are nowadays.
I'm inclined to sort of agreed

This gen more than any other has a huge amount of people with hundreds if not thousands of dollars invested in an ecosystem.

It essentially locks those near 100 million users/players into that ecosystem

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Not necessarily. I would argue that the 'power' of ecosystem lock-in hasn't been demonstrably proven yet.

But it will definitely be proven next gen.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not necessarily. I would argue that the 'power' of ecosystem lock-in hasn't been demonstrably proven yet.

It hasn't been proven.

We're in a new territory regards to consoles and their legacy.

It's not so much power of ecosystems, more Power of investment to incentivise lock-in.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I won't say it's genius, only time will tell. We need to wait and see if it's going to pay off. For now they've just given information that are just nice to the ears of gamers : SDD, backward compatibility, Ray Tracing, etc. Nothing controversial. We don't know anything about the price, cross play or their backward compatibility policy. So let's pump the breaks.

However I think it is smart move because it puts more pressure on Microsoft. The shadow of the PS5 will hang out during the E3 even if Sony is not there. And Microsoft, in a way, needs to pretty much check all those boxes of early PS5 specs. It will be interesting to see what Microsoft will come up with in order to put pressure on Sony.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
I think an un-anticipated effect of this mini reveal from Sony is that they inadvertently put all focus back on MS and Xbox Media and gamers are now speculating even more so than before on what xbox will be revealed to be this e3.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
No, not every publication. Every video game publication, but not every major publication not focused on video games. I mean, publications like the Wall Street journal and financial times report on E3! The same isn't true for "just" a Playstation announcement
You don't have the receipts for this, do you?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Glad to see the strong praise. BC is huge and absolutely essential, hopefully we're passed the days of "fresh start" consoles and can start building futureproofed collections that isn't tied to old hardware.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Which is what I'm saying, I agree that the things Sony have said will not have the same effect as being the first ones to confirm them, but any new things ms announce will also lessen the impact when sony's says them.
It's a game of one-upmanship.
The issue is that Sony mentioned the things that will be common between both consoles the Mindshare will be "Sony already said that" to people. Sure ms will have things to say, but they would be things that Sony weren't going turn have in most cases and Sony can come back with their unique things to their system and not clash

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh you mean like these news outlets:

BBC
CNN Business
BGR

Then there's the Sun, the Metro and a whole host of other news publications. I dont need to do your homework for you. Use Google son, enlighten yourself :)
No, not those outlets. I listed specific outlets I was talking about. Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, etc. These publications DO report on E3. They do not typically report on video games, but for E3 they make an exception. IT's much more impactful

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol. Dude please stop trying to downplay the fact this reveal got as much press cover as if it was an E3 reveal.
But, like I said, it didn't. Or hasn't yet. I'm sure you've googled it and confirmed that there has been no article on this reveal on either the Wall Street Journal or Financial Times. But if you google Financial Times E3 or Wall Street Journal E3 both will yield results from articles posted about past E3s. And both publications will report on it again this year. FT and WSJ were just the two examples I thought of initially that don't report on video games typically, but always report on E3s. E3 is just that big. Yes, both will eventually report on the PS5, but not as soon as if this had been announced at E3. This is not a controversial statement.

At the end of the day it's a moot point probably since we are more than a year out from its release. There is still plenty of time for these other publications to pick up on it and when Sony does a full reveal with detailed specs, tech demos, etc. more publications will pick up on that. But not yet.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA

Steam has been proving it for years. I always prefer it because I know my games will still be there when I move hardware. If Nextbox hits comparable specs and price but I have a way bigger PS4 library, it will be easy to go with PS5 at least first. I have a backlog that would be nice to keep with me if I upgrade. Now if price and/or specs are really far apart then its a whole new ballgame.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
But, like I said, it didn't. Or hasn't yet. I'm sure you've googled it and confirmed that there has been no article on this reveal on either the Wall Street Journal or Financial Times. But if you google Financial Times E3 or Wall Street Journal E3 both will yield results from articles posted about past E3s. And both publications will report on it again this year. FT and WSJ were just the two examples I thought of initially that don't report on video games typically, but always report on E3s. E3 is just that big. Yes, both will eventually report on the PS5, but not as soon as if this had been announced at E3. This is not a controversial statement.

At the end of the day it's a moot point probably since we are more than a year out from its release. There is still plenty of time for these other publications to pick up on it and when Sony does a full reveal with detailed specs, tech demos, etc. more publications will pick up on that. But not yet.
You still at it. The wall street journal and the Financial times didnt report on PS5 reveal yet. Sony, pack it up yall failed in your endeavour to spread the message.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
ERA has always been full of corporate worship and it is super weird.
These mind of comments I never understand. Same as you have soccer fans worship soccer teams. There is nothing wrong with being a fan of a corporation or organisation and it's also pretty normal to have banter between opposing fan sets.
Can anyone explain to me what's so wrong with being pro Sony or pro Xbox?

Not even close. Most people don't read articles on video games. There was no event, no footage. This ain't no E3 announcement are you serious?
surejan.gif

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017

You feel this way because of the 2 publications that you cherry picked? What about the rest that have reported on it? Again like I said, you don't appear to have the receipts to back up your points. Any of those 2 publications also pick and choose what to report on when it comes to gaming. WSJ reported on Xbox news 2 days ago something that wasn't announced at E3.

I searched for "wsj.com e3" and "ft.com e3" on Google and there was simply not much in terms of consistency that you are claiming when it comes to them reporting big news coming out of E3. I'm asking for receipts, are you going to provide them?

Oct 31, 2017
They started shipping the dev kits in mass, it was only a matter of time before everything leaked, so they got out in front of it and controlled the message through a magazine with massive digital and print readership so even your random Walmart in Iowa will get coverage

I can understand that... It's an ok move in the end.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You feel this way because of the 2 publications that you cherry picked? What about the rest that have reported on it? Again like I said, you don't appear to have the receipts to back up your points. Any of those 2 publications also pick and choose what to report on when it comes to gaming. WSJ reported on Xbox news 2 days ago something that wasn't announced at E3.

I searched for "wsj.com e3" and "ft.com e3" on Google and there was simply not much in terms of consistency that you are claiming when it comes to them reporting big news coming out of E3. I'm asking for receipts, are you going to provide them?
Like I said, the Wall Street Journal and Financial Times were just two of the publications I thought of that don't report on video games - but do report on E3s. It wasn't cherry picking at all. I'm in the financial industry so these are the two publications I thought of. And neither happened to report on this reveal (yet). They may still report on it though. I'm sure you will let me know if either does.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
Truth be told there's a lot of casual fans who didn't received the memo... Heck the official Playstation Portugal or even Playstation Spain didn't share the Wire news piece!!! There's almost no one but the enthusiast English speaker here that knows about PS5 semi announcement.

Deleted member 56055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Looking forward to E3 and to see what MS come back with. Very vague details from Sony, but a few important aspects confirmed such as backwards compatibility and the GPU/CPU models we were expecting.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The reach will be huge, they don't normally talk about gaming news!

ivihz8.jpg